• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

_______ while Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

atr0cious

Can someone post him the link of the black teens being chased around by the cops in Texas. can't post link but they was attending a pool party. No need to lie. Discrimination in this country towards minorities has no bounds.
I was joking about the stereotype that blacks don't swim. I'm well aware of that shit show in Texas.

akira28

Plenty of successful black people and successful minorities out there (my wife and I included), they just don't spend their days looking for opportunities to whine about how everyone is racist and the world is against them.

hey I get and have had plenty of opportunities, and I can still take time to call out injustices I see in the world and try to do something about them, including talking about them, incidentally, on places I frequent on the internet. I don't see it as "opportunities to whine" and that really sounds like an "I got mine" attitude. You're successful so you're not supposed to complain about the wrong shit going on around you? I don't follow that. you feel the need to point out your minority status which is fine, but your context is that you're "one of the good ones" which is sad. And I see it all to often. You feel a certain kind of way about "the struggle" say it, but don't hide behind "the blacks, and also incidentally I am also a minority". Which side are you on?

Opportunities. That is a good word.

Most people ask for a equal chance, a fair shake. But it's difficult not to become frustrated when you aren't given any opportunities to be treated like a normal human being, just because you are not the correct hue. Going to the grocery store and not being judged. Driving in a new car without being suspected of stealing it, walking in an elevator without someone clutching their purse, shopping at the department store without being followed, going to school without being asked if you are in the wrong place, and submitting your resume without it being dismissed because of your name. These are all basic liberties that a black person asks for (and deserve), but in a country (and a world) built on racism as an institution we still can't get that.

Do you think these things come out of thin air? Do you think a collective of people talk about how they don't get a fair shake if it wasn't mired in truth? Take a good look around you. Congratulations on your success but that doesn't mean that others are making excuses because they haven't replicated your good fortune. You can't break down a house built with brick and cement by throwing a snowball at one of its walls.
hey I get and have had plenty of opportunities, and I can still take time to call out injustices I see in the world and try to do something about them, including talking about them, incidentally, on places I frequent on the internet. I don't see it as "opportunities to whine" and that really sounds like an "I got mine" attitude. You're successful so you're not supposed to complain about the wrong shit going on around you? I don't follow that. you feel the need to point out your minority status which is fine, but your context is that you're "one of the good ones" which is sad. And I see it all to often. You feel a certain kind of way about "the struggle" say it, but don't hide behind "the blacks, and also incidentally I am also a minority". Which side are you on?

Man I just ran across a few posts from this dude in another thread and I think you're wasting your time. Disengage for your own sanity.

Zombine

Banned
edit: took it back. Probably not the best place for humor. I do wish there was no need for a thread like this but sadly we exist in a climate where we do.

I do still think the kid turning super saiyan was worthy of a mention. It is a positive milestone in human history.

Damn, this thread is like all the news stories in the past few months combined.

Not cool seeing these things happen. Makes me think of the injustices that go by unnoticed.

Plenty of successful black people and successful minorities out there (my wife and I included), they just don't spend their days looking for opportunities to whine about how everyone is racist and the world is against them.

One of the good ones y'all!

User 406

Banned
Man, people don't believe my experiences in the South when I post them here, but look at how fucking casually they're all posting those comments. It's literally how they talk all day, any day whenever the subject of a black person comes up. I lived watching this hate everywhere. If you've never been a white person alone in a room of other white people in the Bible belt, it's worse than you think.

Shit, I live in fuckin' Cleveland and I get uncomfortable when I'm only around other white people because sooner or later someone's gonna feel safe and out it comes.

It always grinds my gears in political discussions whenever the issue of racism comes up and seemingly endless numbers of otherwise well-meaning people do the quantum racism tapdance around it, claiming it's really only a secondary contributor to the problem at best. No, it's everywhere, it runs deep, and it's at the heart of our country's problems. After all, all it took to go from this:

Republican_labor.jpg

to this:

rectorpoor.JPG

was to let black people have some of the same rights.

We're a nation in deep denial.

Don't worry breh. Soon enough you'll get your wake up call.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I though this was going to be a Bronx-Man thread.
I like using comedy to deal with the shit life gives me. This just all depresses me.

I didn't know Ben Carson posted on GAF.

Damn this thread is beyond depressing. It really is hard to be black in America.

Forget America, try the world.

White gaf, can someone explain why the hatred and contempt for black people in this country? What it is about white society that leads to systematically oppressing a race of people for centuries?

I've never heard a white person give an explanation for white racism. Whenever the topic comes up it quickly shifts to "what black people are doing wrong."

Hopefully someone answers because this probably the 3rd time Ive asked this question on here.

Bubba T

White gaf, can someone explain why the hatred and contempt for black people in this country? What it is about white society that leads to systematically oppressing a race of people for centuries?

I've never heard a white person give an explanation for white racism. Whenever the topic comes up it quickly shifts to "what black people are doing wrong."

Hopefully someone answers because this probably the 3rd time Ive asked this question on here.

Just ask Soverign.

http://youtu.be/JvrIFIjTGt0

DedValve

Banned
I'm pretty sure MVP has said that he isn't black but his wife is.

And as such, being a friend of a white man while black gives you immunity to complain about how "unfair" black life is.

Also being the only playable character in a GTA game while black.

Kajigger

I really do apologize advance, but is this a joke thread? Because I can't see how the mods okay with a thread on how the white man hates black people?

I'm not white, and I'm not black, but I have experienced some racism. From what I have seen, in America, some people in the African American community just like to believe that everyone is against them. I'm not sure why, but this seems prevalent. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I have African American friends who live perfectly normal lives, probably due to the fact that they don't think everyone is against them.

In my opinion, there is nothing you can't do while black that you can do while white. I just wish more people would stop labelling themselves

Again, not trying to post inflammatory shit, just really my opinion, although probably an unpopular one.

I really do apologize advance, but is this a joke thread? Because I can't see how the mods okay with a thread on how the white man hates black people?

I'm not white, and I'm not black, but I have experienced some racism. From what I have seen, in America, some people in the African American community just like to believe that everyone is against them. I'm not sure why, but this seems prevalent. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but I have African American friends who live perfectly normal lives, probably due to the fact that they don't think everyone is against them.

In my opinion, there is nothing you can't do while black that you can do while white. I just wish more people would stop labelling themselves

The examples posted are all things that happened. You should take your complaint up with reality and history

Enzom21

Again, not trying to post inflammatory shit, just really my opinion, although probably an unpopular one.

So you took a thread about the disparate treatment of black people as an anti-white thread? So you think everything is equal in this country and it's only the people looking for racism who find it?

Kajigger

The examples posted are all things that happened. You should take your complaint up with reality and history

It's not a complaint, it's just saying what I see. Things happen like that with every race, including white people. I'm not defending or accusing any race, I'm just saying that it's not productive to keep saying things like "people are always putting black people down".

So you took a thread about the disparate treatment of black people as an anti-white thread? So you think everything is equal in this country and it's only the people looking for racism who find it?

Please don't jump to conclusions. All you're trying to do is twist my words, and I'm not going to entertain it. My post defines what I mean.

Bronx-Man

Banned

If it's so annoying to see people post on a message board about it, imagine what it must be like for those of us that have to live it.

It's not a complaint, it's just saying what I see. Things happen like that with every race, including white people. I'm not defending or accusing any race, I'm just saying that it's not productive to keep saying things like "people are always putting black people down"

Unfortunately this is the reality some people besides yourself have to live with, and sometimes talking about it with others makes it easier.

One thing I wish people would understand is that not everything people do is not with the goal of being productive or affecting change; sometimes people just want to share experiences.

Mass One

It's not a complaint, it's just saying what I see. Things happen like that with every race, including white people. I'm not defending or accusing any race, I'm just saying that it's not productive to keep saying things like "people are always putting black people down"

Did anyone said this exactly? Because if not your seeing something that isn't there. I think you're not very well-informed in this subject. And it's genuinely disrespectful to not admit that Black people are treated negatively at a increased amount than other races.

Also your a member you can make a thread to?

Enzom21

It's not a complaint, it's just saying what I see. Things happen like that with every race, including white people. I'm not defending or accusing any race, I'm just saying that it's not productive to keep saying things like "people are always putting black people down".

Please don't jump to conclusions. All you're trying to do is twist my words, and I'm not going to entertain it. My post defines what I mean.

I didn't twist shit. You wrote that it was thread about how white people hate black people(which it is not) and you wrote that "there is nothing you can't do while black that you can do while white" so you obviously think that all things are equal. If I'm wrong then by all means correct me.

From what I have seen, in America, some people in the African American community just like to believe that everyone is against them. I'm not sure why, but this seems prevalent.
You could try talking to them about it instead of telling us that black people are complainers just because you think so.

stop-frisk-outcomes-race-02_0.jpg

"Some people in the African American community just like to believe that everyone is against them. I'm not sure why." lol

Kajigger

I didn't twist shit. You wrote that it was thread about how white people hate black people(which it is not) and you wrote that "there is nothing you can't do while black that you can do while white" so you obviously think that all things are equal. If I'm wrong then by all means correct me.

Again, not trying to anger anyone. I didn't say everything is equal, so yes, I will correct you on that. A woman on average gets paid less than a man. There. Not equal. What I'm trying to say here is not to take away from anyone's personal experience or anything like that, but to say that there is literally nothing saying that an African American can't succeed in America. Threads like these just try to reinforce some state of mind where African Americans are somehow less than other races, which is just untrue. That's all.

Mass One

Geez the uniforms on those police officers looking kinda lax?

I can't speak for everyone but I think the point is authority infrastructure treats black people more negatively than others at a much higher rate.

Are you being for real with this? Like are you assuming that the local union of Blacks decided to beat up on the girl. Your counter example seems pulled straight outta r/coontown "look blacks beat on whites too!".

User 406

Banned

Extremely short version:

European whites got the gunpowder and long range sailing ships first. Colonialism followed, attitudes of cultural superiority, and so on, all the usual effects when one of our species' tribes gets an advantage over another.

Then in this country, we took the already well established institution of slavery, and added a new wrinkle: all slaves would come from a specific region, where the people had an obviously visible characteristic that distinguished them from the white settlers. Cue even more intense tribalistic otherizing, even to the point where this situation was proclaimed to be "ordained by God". It was considered a Law of Nature that the black be subservient to the white.

Fast forward through a century of economic development driven by this engine of stolen labor, an engine so vital that the enslaved human beings that comprised it were more valuable than the rest of the country's infrastructure combined. All throughout this those attitudes about the place of black people continued to be reinforced and justified by the country's economic growth and success. Slavery was a boon to all white men, freeing even the poorest of whites from the lowest forms of labor. It was right.

Then when the Civil War put paid to slavery, we were left with a nation full of white people who had been convinced that black people were animals, no more than beasts of burden, who were now free and living amongst them as supposed equals.

They were not happy, to say the least.

So we ended up with Reconstruction being stymied, and endless oppression and terrorism against black people throughout the Jim Crow era. Black people might have become citizens, but the whites who had been above them during slavery made damn sure that they stayed just as far above them.

Finally, the Civil Rights Act was passed, enforcing rights that had been abridged all this time by institutionalized white supremacy. Naturally, the racist whites still didn't like the idea, and they've been voting against their own economic interests ever since just to hurt black people more.

And like Louis C.K. said, the time between now and the end of slavery, is just two 70 year old ladies living and dying back to back. My wife's mother grew up in Jim Crow Mississippi and marched in the Civil Rights Movement. The grandmother who raised her was born just a generation after the Civil War ended. This is very recent history.

There has simply not been enough time to erode the calcified attitudes that have built up over centuries of institutionalized slavery that precisely targeted people who clearly looked different from the slavers. That attitude that there is an innate difference, a fundamental gap in culture, in ability, in humanity between white people and black people was taken as an article of faith, a bedrock dogma of our system.

And those attitudes continue to refresh themselves, in culture, in media, in economic activity. Parents influence their kids. Segregation makes sure many of those kids never learn differently. For all our technical advancements, we're still the children of parents whose parents lived in a world where black people were lynched on a regular basis, and their grandparents in turn lived in a world where black people were slaves. Two old ladies, back to back.

We're simply not that far removed from the horror. We're still in it.

*points and laughs*

MVP

Banned
I can't speak for everyone but I think the point is authority infrastructure treats black people more negatively than others at a much higher rate.

That's true, but according to someone else in the thread, black people can't drive new cars because everyone thinks they stole it, every black person is unemployed unless they have a white-sounding name or they somehow snuck past the KKK Grandmaster manning the hiring process, or some other self-defeatist bullshit.

Just because I've been called a spic before, a wetback, illegal immigrant, yadda yadda, now the rest of my life I have to whine about the injustices towards hispanics? Be serious. I have a life to live, not spend all my time on Earth worried about some ignorant people who, even if I were to become a billionaire tomorrow and feed all the hungry people in the world, would still yell at their TV in the trailer park and consider me a lucky spic.

Yeah, I thought I would get responses like this with no substance, so I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this thread. Thanks for all the insight guys...
Did whites traffic drugs and guns in non black communities? Did whites assassinate civil rights leaders in non black communities? What about burning down rich non black communities and bombing them with airplanes when the try to uplift themselves economically? What other races outside of Black's are banks targeting for predatory loans? What other races outside of Black's that are discriminated against on a Federal level?

That's true, but according to someone else in the thread, black people can't drive new cars because everyone thinks they stole it, every black person is unemployed unless they have a white-sounding name or they somehow snuck past the KKK Grandmaster manning the hiring process, or some other self-defeatist bullshit.

Just because I've been called a spic before, a wetback, illegal immigrant, yadda yadda, now the rest of my life I have to whine about the injustices towards hispanics? Be serious. I have a life to live, not spend all my time on Earth worried about some ignorant people who, even if I were to become a billionaire tomorrow and feed all the hungry people in the world, would still yell at their TV in the trailer park and consider me a lucky spic.

So you just turn self-loathing into black loathing as well?

Hope you find peace one day

andthebeatgoeson

That's true, but according to someone else in the thread, black people can't drive new cars because everyone thinks they stole it, every black person is unemployed unless they have a white-sounding name or they somehow snuck past the KK Grandmaster manning the hiring process, or some other self-defeatist bullshit.

You are thinking too much. These are things more likely to get a black person in trouble than their counterpart. The racist eveand are so offensive that it is allowed and shrugged off, that people use sarcasm and frustration to express themselves.

Then you walk in and hold everyone to their precise words. Because you can't stand to get the gist. You can't interpret frustration or sarcasm. You take offense at other people being offended. You really need to reboot and try and be empathetic. The world isn't about you. No one forced you to read. Or respond. Nothing you have said is helpful or moving this forward.

You didn't read the thread if you think this is about how white men hate black people.

Black people are pursued, incarcerated and killed by a system that employs white/black/woman/man, etc. in order to perpetuate a system of inequality with roots that are centuries old.

Yeah, I thought I would get responses like this with no substance, so I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this thread. Thanks for all the insight guys...
Did whites traffic drugs and guns in non black communities? Did whites assassinate civil rights leaders in non black communities? What about burning down rich non black communities and bombing them with airplanes when the try to uplift themselves economically? What other races outside of Black's are banks targeting for predatory loans? What other races outside of Black's that are discriminated against on a Federal level?

Mass One

I can see you are set in your believes nor do I think I can change that. I can only hope that eventually you see that your idea on what Black People think and believe are wrong.

It's really sucks to know that someone on this board thinks this way. I don't know what'll else to say. I guess I really take offense to the idea that you think that all black people think this way. The things you listed do really affect black people, its not propaganda, it happens.

People try to live their lives and suddenly on of those things happen and it gets cut short. It's crazy not to take account of XWB, you can read testimony from black people on this very fourm about how they have to behave in certain ways around people so as not to get lumped in with negative nebulous black sterotypes.

xJavonta

Banned

is this post for real? i should stop visiting OT

MVP

Banned
You are thinking too much. These are things more likely to get a black person in trouble than their counterpart. The racist eveand are so offensive that it is allowed and shrugged off, that people use sarcasm and frustration to express themselves.

Then you walk in and hold everyone to their precise words. Because you can't stand to get the gist. You can't interpret frustration or sarcasm. You take offense at other people being offended. You really need to reboot and try and be empathetic. The world isn't about you. No one forced you to read. Or respond. Nothing you have said is helpful or moving this forward.

I can see you are set in your believes nor do I think I can change that. I can only hope that eventually you see that your idea on what Black People think and believe are wrong.

It's really sucks to know that someone on this board thinks this way. I don't know what'll else to say. I guess I really take offense to the idea that you think that all black people think this way. The things you listed do really affect black people, its not propaganda, it happens.

People try to live their lives and suddenly on of those things happen and it gets cut short. It's crazy not to take account of XWB, you can read testimony from black people on this very fourm about how they have to behave in certain ways around people so as not to get lumped in with negative nebulous black sterotypes.

Both of you are right, I apologize. I just feel very passionate about the fact that people who focus on the negative will lead negative lives, further reinforcing their negative attitudes and beliefs. I guess I just lumped this in with other threads where I kind of say the same thing (minimum wage too low, so I won't try to get a better job, I'll just complain until it gets better), but this thread is something completely different and I shouldn't be a dick about it. I'll let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom