• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiking Gaf - "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory."

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmalz

Here's a good dayhike for LA gaf to check out:

http://calitrails.com/2013/07/15/whitney-portal-to-lone-pine-lake/

16-callietakesitin.jpg

Kyuur

Did a portion of the north boundary trail in Jasper, Alberta about two weeks ago (5 day trip). We were originally planning to do the whole thing but the first day kind of kicked our ass (got stuck in mudsinks and had to ford a river that was over my fiancee's waist and pretty powerful) and my fiancee got sick the first night (throwing up, kind of hard to hike when you can't keep food down). The original plan was a 8 or 9 day trip.

It was also our bacpacking first trip, and we overpacked quite a bit food-wise (which would have been good if we had gotten lost I guess, but the trails were well marked). Made it a bit difficult to hoist a bear bag up but we figured out a system by the third day!

Highlights were definitely Snake Indian Falls and the rivers that run along the streams, and of course just the general solitude and wilderness (we only encountered one other group of 2 people aside from nearby the trailheads).

We also found this one shoe at a campsite that seems to be a permanent resident:

All in all.. a good trip, although it was pricey buying all the first-time equipment. It'll be worth it as we make it an annual thing though. Going to explore the rest of the rockies first and then who knows, might go out somewhere in the USA...

Has anyone on gaf ever hiked the whole appalachian trail? It's always been a dream of mine, but with kids now and such I doubt I'll ever do it.
Edit: just noticed I actually posted about this in the thread before, heh.

Natetan

I just finished hiking Aneto, the tallest mountain in the Pyrenees.

I did some tourism in Barcelona before driving off to a town called Benasque. The trailhead is about 10-15 min drive from there. I stayed at the Refugio de la Reclusa, about one hour hike in from the trailhead. I stayed the night and took off at around 7am.

Although everywhere on the Internet claims how clear and easy to follow path there is, there really is no path basically. It's a giant rock/ boulder field up to a pass that takes you to a glacier. I popped on my crampons and followed some other groups who had a Better idea if where to go exactly. Near the peak you take off our crampons and hike to the peak over a very very reactions ridge o about 20meters. Was a bit scary but I passed it.

The return was a bit slow because I was tired, and the lack of path meant you were spending. Lot of effort navigating a giant boulder field that was quite technical.

Anyway, the scenery was amazing, and I highly recommend anyone going to Spain or France to hike the Pyrenees and Aneto!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I'm thinking of hiking next year and will be doing a month long vacation. So far I'm planning to do the 10/12 days Chamonix to Zermatt hike (leaves from Mont Blanc in France, ends at the Matterhorn in Switzerland.

Taking let's say two days to arrive in France and get to the starting point, starting the hike on the third day, that puts me at around 15 days in my trip when I reach Zermatt. Meaning I have at least another 15 days left. So I'm left wondering if there are other long hikes I could do either before or after. Since this hike is usually done no early than June (unless doing it with skis), I'm thinking I would start in mid-june at the latest unless I bumped it to later due to another hike before that.

Any suggestions?

edit: Oh man, hiking for days with your dog must be such a nice experience. A city dog would go crazy and spend all his days looking forward to going back.

edit2; Also my own recommendation, go hike in Argentina and Chile. Fitz Roy hikes in Argentina, and the W of Torres Del Paine (or full trek but I did the W). El Chalten which is at the base of Fitz Roy is great because you can stay there and leave for a hike in the morning and come back right for sunset, eat some great food, and take a hot shower and sleep in comfortable bed:) February is a great time to go.

yonder

So I'm thinking of hiking next year and will be doing a month long vacation. So far I'm planning to do the 10/12 days Chamonix to Zermatt hike (leaves from Mont Blanc in France, ends at the Matterhorn in Switzerland.

Taking let's say two days to arrive in France and get to the starting point, starting the hike on the third day, that puts me at around 15 days in my trip when I reach Zermatt. Meaning I have at least another 15 days left. So I'm left wondering if there are other long hikes I could do either before or after. Since this hike is usually done no early than June (unless doing it with skis), I'm thinking I would start in mid-june at the latest unless I bumped it to later due to another hike before that.

Any suggestions?
Sounds awesome. Please give us a write-up and pictures when you get back! No hikes planned for next year yet, so I need some inspiration.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I'm looking forward to it, and I'm thinking of maybe going to the Grand Canyon, maybe in October, unless I do it in May and push Charmonix-Zermatt to later in the year.

Did any of you ever visit the Grand Canyon? I'm thinking of doing a four day rim-to-rim hike through the canyon, and I need to apply for a permit very soon if I want to get one for May. Seems like I would have to get to the Grand Canyon village by taking a bus at Flagstaff, then a shuttle to the north rim to start my hike from there.

edit: Welp, looks like if I want to do some rafting I'll have to put this off to next year and book way ahead of time. Booking now for May is too late. Back to looking at Charmonix-Zermatt and its surroundings. I'll go to the Grand Canyon next year, looks fun.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a winter hike (February) in the Adirondacks? My friends and I are all well versed in winter hiking skills as we've all done extensive winter hikes in the Catskills, Colorado, California, and some late summer hikes in Alaska. I don't know the Adirondacks too well, but my GF and I hiked Mt Marcy and did a bunch of day drips from Marcy dam over the summer, so I know that area a little bit. Obviously winter hiking is a completely different beast, so if anyone has suggestions for trails/peaks that are better in the winter I'm open to suggestions.

Kyuur

Resurrecting HikingGAF! Summer approaches, friends!

Like I was planning last year when we bought our equipment for backpacking, me and some friends are going again this year! Slightly more south this time, in Banff. I'm a bit worried because ticks have been rampant around the province and surrounding lately, and we're going earlier in the year (late July vs late August) this time which will probably mean more bugs. Doing 74km over 6 days this time (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/randonee-backpacking/cc.aspx#five-cinque).

Anyone else have plans for this summer?

YES! I'm planning to hike the northern part of the GR 20 on Corsica this August and I'm SO HYPED!!! This is going to be my third hiking trip and I still need to learn a lot of stuff hehe.
Btw. I'd really really like to hike someday in Northern America. The landcapes look incredible but my No.1 hiking dream is still Patagonia!

My other trips:

2009 Iceland: Kjalvegur (Hvítárnes-Hveravellir) + Laugavegur (Landmannalaugar-Þórsmörk)

7kd3typ4.jpg

fvzjhlw8.jpg

ed558iwq.jpg

2012 Norway: Rondane (Hjerkinn-Venabu)

553402_10151246821542603_1783719597_n.jpg

uvuow9jx.jpg

47553_10151246822652603_482652652_n.jpg

I hope the pic sizes are ok!

Also I'm looking to buy a new fleece. Does anybody here have experiences with Montane stuff? Thinking about getting the Fury Jacket but I'm wondering if it's worth its 120 Euro price tag...

jimbor

Banned

Like I was planning last year when we bought our equipment for backpacking, me and some friends are going again this year! Slightly more south this time, in Banff. I'm a bit worried because ticks have been rampant around the province and surrounding lately, and we're going earlier in the year (late July vs late August) this time which will probably mean more bugs. Doing 74km over 6 days this time (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/randonee-backpacking/cc.aspx#five-cinque).

I'm hiking in the Cairngorms with my gf this weekend. Still a relative hiking n00b so quite excited at the thought of a 21km hike taking in Ben Macdui, Beinn Mheadoin and Cairngorm.

I'm off to Vegas early November and will be doing Red Rock (done it before and easy introduction for the group) and might do Turtlehead as well. Is Icebox worth doing at that time of year?

Will also be staying in the Grand Canyon village overnight, can any gaffers recommend some intermediate day hikes for that time of year?

Thanks.

This thread need some momentum. I'm sure there are tons of hikers on this forum.
I will post impressions/pics of the GR 20 North as soon as I have my new notebook.
All I can say is that it was incredible. We were lucky with the weather, met tons of nice people and it was the hardest "walk" I've made so far.

Short summary of the northern part of the GR 20 on Corsica:

-Don't do it if you're really overweight or generally in bad shape, I found it to be extremely exhausting even though I work out almost on a daily basis
-The landscapes are beautiful. The fact that you walk for days into the mountains and still see the Medit. sea is great!
-It doesn't hurt if you've already had some climbing experiences
-Try to stay under 15 kg with your backpack
-I'd recommend to carry two litres of water on each stage
-I wouldn't have done most the stages if it was raining or the stone was still wet
-I'd also recommend to take your own tent with you. The dorms in the refuges looked fucking disgusting...
-You'll meet a lot of nice people!

EDIT: Btw. how do you post the pics like Kyuur further up?

Here are some of my pics:

10668807_10152669868307603_2518822491211388113_o.jpg

10582890_10152669871932603_7744294373956409675_o.jpg

10631179_10152669877812603_8514970923568399257_o.jpg

10572109_10152669880197603_8155348558798553602_o.jpg

Never noticed this thread before, some beautiful pictures including your latest, CarlieCaplin.

I'm very much a novice, I live in Japan and I've done a fair few of the one-day hikes in the Lonely Planet 'Hiking in Japan' book and so on. I haven't done Fuji yet despite a total of 3 years here, because it just sounds not at all fun with little in the way of scenery and none of the unspoiled, quiet nature that makes me love this country. Any others with experience of hiking in Japan?

Darren870

Never noticed this thread before, some beautiful pictures including your latest, CarlieCaplin.

I'm very much a novice, I live in Japan and I've done a fair few of the one-day hikes in the Lonely Planet 'Hiking in Japan' book and so on. I haven't done Fuji yet despite a total of 3 years here, because it just sounds not at all fun with little in the way of scenery and none of the unspoiled, quiet nature that makes me love this country. Any others with experience of hiking in Japan?

I haven't hiked Japan since I was a kid so can't really comment on it. I want to go back though and do Fuji and some of the other mountains, the landscape is beautiful there.

I hiked around Northern South America for about 4 months and went on some amazing multiday hikes. I wish I had more time though and could have done the lower part. There was some great hikes in Chile & Argentina I missed. Plan on going back in a few years though. Have to explore a bit of Asia first though.

The hikes in South America weren't well marked and the guides were pretty rubbish so I started writing down instructions and posting them online. Mostly just hikes I've done that meant something to me or that I found unique. www.ahikersguide.com

Still going through all my pictures from the last 4 years of my life and putting them together and going through them. So many, I found a new love for the outdoors, that's for sure!

Dany

Banned
Hey folks. Brother and I are going to estes park and rocky mountain national park for 3 days. It will me my first time hiking outside of illinois (ie, elevation gain)

So I see on the website the general stuff to bring, and I know it lists trails for us to walk. Weather looks like mid 70's so shorts, I should bring a jacket, water, some food bars. I need to get hiking shoes. My brother recommended gloves? why

Generally I am fairly inexperienced and totally stoked to be doing this so any advice would be appreciated. I am active and fit so I don't feel like my exhaustion is going to be a factor. or I hope not haha.

Thanks folks :D

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Never seen this thread before, subscribed!

I'm an avid hiker, hiked many places all over the USA. Most recently I rode the Harley out to Glacier National Park and did a few hikes there. I'll post pics later tonight.

I did some hiking for the first time in my life earlier this year. Got together with a couple of friends and had a go at one of the longest walking trails in Scandinavia called Sörmlandsleden. It was a really great experience even if we only covered a very small part of the trail, will definitely be doing more hiking soon!

hiking4.jpg

hiking3.jpg

hiking5.jpg

hiking2.jpg

Hey folks. Brother and I are going to estes park and rocky mountain national park for 3 days. It will me my first time hiking outside of illinois (ie, elevation gain)

So I see on the website the general stuff to bring, and I know it lists trails for us to walk. Weather looks like mid 70's so shorts, I should bring a jacket, water, some food bars. I need to get hiking shoes. My brother recommended gloves? why

Generally I am fairly inexperienced and totally stoked to be doing this so any advice would be appreciated. I am active and fit so I don't feel like my exhaustion is going to be a factor. or I hope not haha.

Thanks folks :D
Hey there. I grew up in CO, live here still. Let me help you out:

Altitude will be a big factor. Do not underestimate it. You will tire quickly, and you will need to drink more water than you are used to. Even if you are super fit, the altitude will get you. It's just physiology. Watch for headaches, they're an early sign of altitude sickness.

Don't try and hike Long's Peak. It's a 15 mile hike and one of the hardest 14ers in Colorado.

If you are venturing out of the park, Bierstadt or Greys and Torres are (relatively) easy hikes near Denver that summit 14,000 foot mountains. They Will take all day, and it gets real difficult to breathe at 14,000 but it's a fun point of honor if you can do it.

Estes is super touristy, I'd advise camping inside the park if you can. It'll be more fun and you'll spend less money.

If you are camping, make sure to bear-proof your campsite. Bears are feeding to survive the winter, so they're extra-hungry. Best practice is to hang your food at least ten feet up in a tree, twenty to fifty feet from your tent. Bear canisters are also an option.

It gets quite cold at higher altitudes (ie mountain summits, above tree line at 12,000 feet), which is why gloves and a hat are essentials even if it's 80 degrees at the trailhead. You should also definitely bring a pair of pants- jeans or sweats, because it will be chilly at night and at higher altitudes.

It's fall so the aspen trees are turning, which is gorgeous. Make a point of seeing them.

I'd suggest visiting a recreational marijuana shop, even if you don't smoke, just for the experience. It's really a trip.

Trail Ridge Road is a pretty drive that will take you over the continental divide. It can be a little scary for out-of-state drivers; if you are going slow and cars are stacking up behind you, PLEASE pull over and let them pass. Estes is on one end of the park, small town called Grand Lake is on the other. If you drive trail ridge all the way, you end up in Grand Lake. Grand Lake is super pretty, worth a look if you have a day. Much better town than Estes, IMO.

Gem Lake is a good hike in RMNP.

Hope you enjoy your trip, Colorado is an awesome state, real pretty this time of year too.

EDIT: here's a hike I took yesterday: Deluge Lake in the Eagles Nest Wilderness. View of the Gore Range, near Vail, CO.
v7a7y4G.jpg

Mr. Hyde

Does anyone have recommendations for beginner hikes in the blue Ridge Georgia area? I'm going to Bryson north Carolina for ziplining and rafting but I also want to take my fiance on some introductory hikes.

thespot84

Hey there. I grew up in CO, live here still. Let me help you out:

Altitude will be a big factor. Do not underestimate it. You will tire quickly, and you will need to drink more water than you are used to. Even if you are super fit, the altitude will get you. It's just physiology. Watch for headaches, they're an early sign of altitude sickness.

Don't try and hike Long's Peak. It's a 15 mile hike and one of the hardest 14ers in Colorado.

If you are venturing out of the park, Bierstadt or Greys and Torres are (relatively) easy hikes near Denver that summit 14,000 foot mountains. They Will take all day, and it gets real difficult to breathe at 14,000 but it's a fun point of honor if you can do it.

Estes is super touristy, I'd advise camping inside the park if you can. It'll be more fun and you'll spend less money.

If you are camping, make sure to bear-proof your campsite. Bears are feeding to survive the winter, so they're extra-hungry. Best practice is to hang your food at least ten feet up in a tree, twenty to fifty feet from your tent. Bear canisters are also an option.

It gets quite cold at higher altitudes (ie mountain summits, above tree line at 12,000 feet), which is why gloves and a hat are essentials even if it's 80 degrees at the trailhead. You should also definitely bring a pair of pants- jeans or sweats, because it will be chilly at night and at higher altitudes.

It's fall so the aspen trees are turning, which is gorgeous. Make a point of seeing them.

I'd suggest visiting a recreational marijuana shop, even if you don't smoke, just for the experience. It's really a trip.

Trail Ridge Road is a pretty drive that will take you over the continental divide. It can be a little scary for out-of-state drivers; if you are going slow and cars are stacking up behind you, PLEASE pull over and let them pass. Estes is on one end of the park, small town called Grand Lake is on the other. If you drive trail ridge all the way, you end up in Grand Lake. Grand Lake is super pretty, worth a look if you have a day. Much better town than Estes, IMO.

Gem Lake is a good hike in RMNP.

Hope you enjoy your trip, Colorado is an awesome state, real pretty this time of year too.

EDIT: here's a hike I took yesterday: Deluge Lake in the Eagles Nest Wilderness. View of the Gore Range, near Vail, CO.

What he said.

Also, regarding 14ers. If you're not in good shape, I'd skip them and do a shorter hike (there are wonderful hikes that aren't 14ers). Sure you can go slow but what becomes a problem is the weather. I try to aim for tree line by 1-2 PM at the latest. If you're going slowly that means you'll have to start hiking super early, thinkg 4-5AM. People who don't respect those clouds get killed (a number of people have died from lightning strikes in RMNP this year alone).

mulac

Hi all,

My wife and I are trekking to Everest Base Camp (starting 23rd March, ending 15th April) next year. We do alot of running and exercise already so not too worried about the fitness; but it is a life-long achievement I've had on my list!

Looking into gear to buy and there are ALOT of options; wondering if anyone has any experience of the best stuff to buy from a brand/shop perspective. I'm based in Australia but that doesnt matter thanks to the wonders of online shopping :)

At the high level; looking at these for trekking boots and camera to take along (one expensive like this and another cheaper waterproof point and click).
Any and all advice most appreciated on brands and what is recommended ( have a big list already reading websites and blogs)...

http://www.rei.com/product/864676/osprey-stratos-34-pack#tab-reviews

http://www.rei.com/product/693828/asolo-tps-520-gv-hiking-boots-mens

Cheers,

Well it's that time of year Hiking GAF. Let's bring this thread back to life! Here's a pic I took of my friends in the Eastern Sierra a couple weeks ago:

My buddies and I are getting really into camping/backpacking. Our goal is to do the John Muir Trail in 2017. They mostly have their gear in order; I was late to the party so I'm still getting into hiking shape and purchasing stuff. I'm excited for this week because my new tent and sleeping bag should be arriving any day now.

REI Magma
I'm skinny as hell so I run very cold, especially at night. On my first camping outing with my friends earlier this year I took my old 30°F mummy bag and despite wearing Underarmor, long-sleeved thermal shirt, flannel pj pants, jeans, 2 pairs of socks, and a Patagonia jacket I was still freezing my balls off when the temp dipped to around 30° overnight. So that's why I decided to buy the 10° Magma bag. REI gear probably has the best price-to-quality balance — other brand-name bags with similar specs were easily $100-200 more. There was a 4th of July sale last week so I got the Magma for $235.

Marmot Tungsten 1P Tent
I did a lot of research for 1-person tents and this is what I went for. I wanted something around $200, which my coworker who used to work at REI said is a good price point for quality. Reviews said it should be just big enough to fit you and your gear inside, which is what I want. Can't wait to try it out. I got it on sale for $140.

I'm really happy with the stuff I've bought so far, mostly recommended by my friends.
ALPS Mountaineering Caldera 5500 Internal Frame Pack — Great pack; holds a ton of stuff and evenly distributes the weight.
Light My Fire Titanium Spork — Not much to say... it's a spork. But it's sturdy and works great!
Nalgene Tritan Wide Mouth Water Bottle — I got the 32oz. one. I can attest to its toughness, as I dropped it on some rocks during a hike and it was unscathed.
Etekcity E-gear Portable Collapsible Butane Stove — I got this for $9 and butane costs $1 at my local Asian market, so for the price it's really unbeatable. I bought this one over the competition because it has a built-in ignition. My friends have those awesome Jetboil stoves, and they boil water way faster than mine but are 10 times the price. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but for now I'm very content with my cheap little butane stove.

On my "to-buy" list:
Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad — Great reviews and relatively cheap. They say it compresses very well, which is what I need.
Sawyer Products Mini Water Filtration System — I've heard good things.
BAFX Products Anti Shock Trekking Trail Poles — Still not 100% sure on these, but they have great reviews and are much cheaper than most of the competition. Still, I wonder if I should bite the bullet and spend the extra $80+ on a nice pair of poles. I need these things to hold up on the John Muir Trail.

Anyway, enough about gear. Here's some more pics from the Eastern Sierra:

The backcountry was so pretty.

So were the lakes.

Caught my friends in a perfect postcard setting. Complete with the guy fly fishing in the stream below.

Darren870

I've done a bunch of hikes recently.

I think the last one I did was to the Pinnacles in Mulu National Park in Malaysia. Was a pretty steap hike but worth it in the end. A lot of scrambling and ropes at the top.

Can't wait for it to get warmer in Australia so I can continue hiking around here.

I was going hiking twice a month before. One small one and one big one. I always bike to the mountains I hike so I would use that as an excuse sometimes to not go too far from where I live. I`m currently living on Shikoku in JP. Last thing I hiked was sanrei maybe a month or two ago. Spent the night on the mountain top in a cabin full of strangers and it was amazing!! I want to get more into it but, I think that would be best with a group (I usually hike alone). I was looking at the Garmin Fenix and Suunto Ambit recently to use for hiking (to calm the worries of my friends and relatives) anyone have any impressions or alternatives for GPS-sharing watches?

Can't wait for it to get warmer in Australia so I can continue hiking around here.

"What is he talking about it's summ... oh, right."

I was going hiking twice a month before. One small one and one big one. I always bike to the mountains I hike so I would use that as an excuse sometimes to not go too far from where I live. I`m currently living on Shikoku in JP. Last thing I hiked was sanrei maybe a month or two ago. Spent the night on the mountain top in a cabin full of strangers and it was amazing!! I want to get more into it but, I think that would be best with a group (I usually hike alone). I was looking at the Garmin Fenix and Suunto Ambit recently to use for hiking (to calm the worries of my friends and relatives) anyone have any impressions or alternatives for GPS-sharing watches?

The bolded could have turned into a horror movie situation. :p Glad it worked out!

I would also like to know some recommendations for GPS sharing watches, for the same reason as you (so my family can make sure I'm OK).

Glad to see this thread bumped. I'm heading to Colorado this weekend and will be spending several days backpacking through Indian Peaks Wilderness. Been way too long since I've made it on a multi-day camping trip, so excited!

I've done a bunch of hikes recently.

I think the last one I did was to the Pinnacles in Mulu National Park in Malaysia. Was a pretty steap hike but worth it in the end. A lot of scrambling and ropes at the top.

Don't know how I missed that bump. Was this taken in Malaysia? It looks great!

I'm currently working on my Master's thesis. It should be (hopefully) finished in March/early April 2016. First, I was thinking about spending a month traveling in India and make a stop in Nepal but today it crossed my mind to go on a hike there.
I was thinking about doing the Annapurna Circuit. Anyone on here with experiences (costs, April/May a good season?, etc.)?

Darren870

Nice! Those look great! Pictures like that definitely make me miss home. Really need to do some hiking in the US again. My missus keeps taking about doing the PCT, like determined to do it. I'm like shouldn't we start with a bit easier of a hike? Hear there are some good ones in the Everglades!

Anyways, its finally Spring in Australia and the weather is warming up. There is a real good 3-4 day hike in the south of Victoria. Will probably do that in a few weeks once the weather is a bit more consistent. Will have to take pictures then.

Don't know how I missed that bump. Was this taken in Malaysia? It looks great!

I'm currently working on my Master's thesis. It should be (hopefully) finished in March/early April 2016. First, I was thinking about spending a month traveling in India and make a stop in Nepal but today it crossed my mind to go on a hike there.
I was thinking about doing the Annapurna Circuit. Anyone on here with experiences (costs, April/May a good season?, etc.)?

Yea! It was in Mulu National park, which consisted of a 2-3 day hike. Started with cave exploring, then boat ride, then a flat walk to camp. The next day was a hike up and down to the pinnacles. Last was just back tracking, but other people were continuing onwards for a longer hike.

Was really good though. We also climbed Mt Kinabulu which I didn't post pictures of. Will have to when I get a chance.

I haven't been to Nepal so can't really comment on anything there. Sorry!

lawnchair

Banned
hiking gaf is cool.

tomorrow i will be embarking on my second ever solo backpack trip. just a one nighter, thirteen mile loop. its been a while since i was out in the woods by myself. everybody i know seems to think this is a terrible idea.

hiking gaf is cool.

tomorrow i will be embarking on my second ever solo backpack trip. just a one nighter, thirteen mile loop. its been a while since i was out in the woods by myself. everybody i know seems to think this is a terrible idea.

It isn't the best idea, but I love solo hiking as well. Let other people know where you are and tell them you will contact them as soon as you are back, if you don't they will know something is up.

Either that or just be in a location that still gets cell service.

lawnchair

Banned
i almost always hike alone. i dont mind hiking with other people once in a while, but i mainly hike to be alone outside. thoughts come to me that wouldn't come to me in other situations, with other people, etc. to use the corny cliche, it's sort of a spiritual experience that i generally prefer to partake in alone. my girlfriend generally doesn't have a problem with me hiking alone, but BRINGING A TENT TO SLEEP IN in the woods suddenly makes it a much bigger issue for her.

and yes, of course i always tell people my planned itinerary etc.

Badgerst3

Heading into the Eastern Sierras next week for annual trip.

Garnet and Thousand Island Lake. Learned today I will be solo the first 2 nights then connecting with a buddy coming in from the north. Great trout fishing in Garnet Lake. Over mushroom cous cous- delicious.

The wife is not digging the solo part but I am actually looking forward to the solitude. I use this to reflect and recharge. It's awesome.

You guys are brave. I couldn't do a solo trip... I'd probably get lost and die.

Nice! Those look great! Pictures like that definitely make me miss home. Really need to do some hiking in the US again. My missus keeps taking about doing the PCT, like determined to do it. I'm like shouldn't we start with a bit easier of a hike? Hear there are some good ones in the Everglades!

Lol, the PCT is a really intense place to start. What about the John Muir Trail? It's part of the PCT at least. ;) Watch the documentary Mile... Mile & a Half and I bet she'll be pumped for it!

Darren870

You guys are brave. I couldn't do a solo trip... I'd probably get lost and die.

Lol, the PCT is a really intense place to start. What about the John Muir Trail? It's part of the PCT at least. ;) Watch the documentary Mile... Mile & a Half and I bet she'll be pumped for it!

Will give it a watch!

Yea, there is no way we are going right into that. I mean we haven't even done hikes that span over 2 weeks yet, let alone 3 months. Got some big ones mapped out on this part of the world though!

lawnchair

Banned
that Mile Mile and a Half doc is really great. the whole "super-long-distance hike" thing seems so extreme to me. definitely not at that level.. i've been reading "walk in the woods" by bill bryson about hiking the appalachian trail. great book but totally turned me off of hiking in that style, at least on that trail - it's MANDATORY that AT through hikers stay in communal shelter type things? so weird. not my style.

anyway, as you can tell from the fact that i'm posting, i survived my overnight. it was great. didn't take any pictures (no camera), but here's a stock one (im ashamed) ... goat rocks wilderness, SW washington state, view from goat lake.

Went to Colorado earlier this summer and I wish I spent more than a week there. What an absolutely amazing place. Did some baby trails at the Rocky Mountain National Park since I had my mom and little brother with me. Next time I'm planning on doing something more challenging since I'll be going by myself or with some friends.

Doing Big Bend later this year so I'm really excited about that.

Any recommendations for trails by Lake George?

M52B28

Banned
God damn. This thread has had such few posts ever since its creation.

Well, I'm planning on doing some sort of trip in the United States. I'm in California, a place that has all sorts of trails and what not, but I have no car, so getting to these places is going to be tough.

I have a good amount of essentials for the beginnings of a nice three-four day hike.

Current stuff:

Ecogear Pinnacle 65L Hiking Pack (it has a slot for a bladder.)
Timberland Mt. Maddsen Boots - I recently purchased this
A ample sized hydration bladder
550 Paracord from the good ole dad.
A headlamp from good ole dad.

I have a good amount of misc rugged gear that I've collected over the year. Knives, rugged watches, 12 gauge flare gun (my dad), etc.

Now, I need a sleeping bag and tent. I'm fairly sure that we have one sleeping at my parent's place back in the Midwest, but I'm not sure if it will be capable of dealing with the potentially chilly Spring that California has. That said, I plan on doing a trip during Spring break, or sometime within that time.

I can fly anywhere I want in the US, so I did think about Oregon, but I'm not exactly sure. I have no clue on where to start with Oregon, but I do know my sister went there. Washington would be nice as well. I hear that there are proper rain forests there.

I am heavily invested in photography, so I want a place that has potential to look magical. I would absolutely love to visit the rain forest (I imagine a misty rain forest that's ripe with green.)

I guess I could visit Redwood Big Basin Park. It's only a few miles away from me, and I could definitely do a weekend visit there.

Anyone else planning trips this year? (that's if this thread isn't swept under by the tides of uncertainty that is Off-Topic.)

Anyone else planning trips this year? (that's if this thread isn't swept under by the tides of uncertainty that is Off-Topic.)

I still have this thread subscribed! I'm hoping to spend some more time out in Colorado this June, will have some friends with me for a week, most of whom aren't super big hikers so will probably do a few day hikes in Rocky Mountain Natl' Park and hopefully get everyone together for one easy overnight backcountry camping trip. After everyone clears out I'm hoping to spend a few days (most likely) solo hiking/camping a three-ish day backpacking loop in the area, I'd like to do the Pawnee-Buchanan pass loop but if it's too snowy up in the passes in mid-June I might try out the Lost Creek Wilderness loop.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Random question but I really enjoy trail running but haven't found a ton of good spots in central New Jersey. I prefer running in dirt, grass and uneven terrain and love to do so with my dog as well.

Anyone know any good spots to check out?

M52B28

Banned
I still have this thread subscribed! I'm hoping to spend some more time out in Colorado this June, will have some friends with me for a week, most of whom aren't super big hikers so will probably do a few day hikes in Rocky Mountain Natl' Park and hopefully get everyone together for one easy overnight backcountry camping trip. After everyone clears out I'm hoping to spend a few days (most likely) solo hiking/camping a three-ish day backpacking loop in the area, I'd like to do the Pawnee-Buchanan pass loop but if it's too snowy up in the passes in mid-June I might try out the Lost Creek Wilderness loop.
I've considered Colorado as well since I do have some buddies out there in the area. I'm not sure if they're even capable of making the feat of hiking through and through.

As you have mentioned, I am interested in solo-hiking, but I'm a bit afraid of going out on my own. I've only done local trails on my own, but tackling a major one.. If I make one mistake, I'll be on my own to take care of it with no-one to help me.

I don't have enough friends that are interested in outdoors, and have the traveling freedom as I do, so it's tough trying to get this stuff going. At the end of the day, if I can't convince anyone else to go, I may have to do a solo trip. I'll probably buy something that's a bit more reliable for emergency.

Random question but I really enjoy trail running but haven't found a ton of good spots in central New Jersey. I prefer running in dirt, grass and uneven terrain and love to do so with my dog as well.

Anyone know any good spots to check out?
I've never really been on the East Coast, but I would recommend looking for a local forum to ask the question, or just look on Yelp. I look on Yelp for local trails all the time.

Just a bit of primer to get you started.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Running+Trails&find_loc=Central+New+Jersey

I like using it mainly for the reviews.

-----

Also, I'm feeling inclined to making a full OT with graphics and all, but I doubt mods would appreciate another thread that will be on such a niche topic.

Darren870

I've done quite a few hikes since I last posted.

Wilsons Prom - Victoria Australia (twice)
Grampians - Victoria Australia
Glasshouse Mountains - Queensland Australia

Also did a road trip around Australia 4 weeks, so there was a lot of camping and hiking through some towns.

This year I have a trip to Japan planned for 17 days. Then the Philippines for about 14 days. Next week I am going to Cairns so will go hiking there.

Will try and do a 3 day hike again in the Grampians come end of summer/early fall, as well as Mt Kosciuszko (highest mountain in Australia)

Planning a trip to Fiji and will do some hiking there.

May go back to the US for thanksgiving and try to hike in the Catskills, depending on weather.

I'll post some pictures shortly!

I've considered Colorado as well since I do have some buddies out there in the area. I'm not sure if they're even capable of making the feat of hiking through and through.

As you have mentioned, I am interested in solo-hiking, but I'm a bit afraid of going out on my own. I've only done local trails on my own, but tackling a major one.. If I make one mistake, I'll be on my own to take care of it with no-one to help me.

I don't have enough friends that are interested in outdoors, and have the traveling freedom as I do, so it's tough trying to get this stuff going. At the end of the day, if I can't convince anyone else to go, I may have to do a solo trip. I'll probably buy something that's a bit more reliable for emergency.

I have lots of family in Colorado as well, so it's been a super cheap place to travel that I've been visiting my whole life and hope to eventually resettle there (along with half the country it sometimes seems).

Your concerns about solo travel are understandable, but it's all about taking the proper precautions, knowing what and how much gear/food to take, making sure people know exactly how many days you're going to be gone, give them a map of the route you plan to take, etc.

Planning a trip to Fiji and will do some hiking there.

May go back to the US for thanksgiving and try to hike in the Catskills, depending on weather.

I'll post some pictures shortly!

I spent several months studying in Fiji about five years ago, wasn't able to do quite as much hiking as I'd like but still had quite a few amazing experiences hiking and bushwacking up to island hilltops, climbing over ridges between pristine remote tropical bays... Man what a beautiful country, definitely try to break away from the tourist resorts. Not sure if you've ever been there before, but I highly recommend making your way to Taveuni if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom