• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

Katzii

I think also retailers need to be more aware of how the games work. When I went to buy my figures, there was someone unpacking one of the sets for display, and he (very incorrectly) said that you HAD to collect 32 figures just to play the first game.

If people are telling that to customers, they're probably going to get stressed.

Also, n8NMONSTER, could you please take some photos of the "retailer exclusive" figures individually? I'm not ever going (to be able) to get any of them, but am interested to see what they're offering up.

Crusher and Granite Crusher (Target Exclusive).

8109720801_bdf952dae9_b.jpg

8109721281_8b8a9e3b9d_b.jpg

Bouncer and Legendary Bouncer (Toys R Us Exclusive).

8109730996_00ab01c481_b.jpg

8109731556_720549075e_b.jpg

Legendary Ignitor, Slam Bam, Jet-Vac (Toys R Us Exclusive).

8109732656_c5e22eeb87_b.jpg

8109723889_bf43871257_b.jpg

8109724497_236c1183dc_b.jpg

Regular and Glow-in-the-Dark Cynder (Walmart Exclusive).

8109724923_d68b2267dc_b.jpg

8109734774_38a45e6f72_b.jpg

Katzii

Thanks muchly! Toys R Us over here seem to do the Legendary triple pack and Bouncer, but unfortunately both are out of stock on the website and my closest store is probably a two-hour train ride away... Will have to keep an eye out on the site, I guess!

I think I'm going to pass on giants for the time being. I moved about 20 min away from any retail stores, so the gas and time it would take for my collector needs isn't worth it at this time.

Katzii

For what it's worth, they seem to have learned from last time and it's a lot easier to get figures. At least in the UK; not so sure about the US!

Where can I get that new legendary 3-pack? And did anyone see that AOpen stand at Gamestop? It looked really cool. Couldn't find it on Amazon.

Also, is there a list of the first wave figures for Giants?

Nm saw it on page 1. I got quite a bit haul today for my son for Christmas. He played the heck out of the original.

Fantomex

After getting Fright Rider and Granite Crusher, I'm not seeing a lot of "cool" figures so far. Maybe wave 2. Anyone know If the humpback whale dude is out yet?

Zing

Banned
Anyone know If the humpback whale dude is out yet?
I assume you mean Thumpback. No, he is not in wave 1 or 2.

I was away at a convention this weekend, but I stopped at a Walmart on the way home at 4pm today. They were fully stocked. I grabbed all the new figures possible, so now I wait for wave 2. I'm not planning on getting any "series 2". They look cool, but I already have the full set from series 1.

These are just going to sit sealed until Christmas for my daughter. I hope wave 2 in November is this easy to get. It should be no big deal since there are only three new figures in that wave (Flashwing, Sprocket, Hot Head).

Wow, seeing glow-in-the-dark Cynder in person really showed how ugly it is. I'm glad mine came with the regular version.

I haven't seen any mention of further "battle packs". I assume there will be more than one. Any ideas?

fernoca

No "haul" per se, as I don't get paid until Friday; but was happy with the "Portal Owners Pack" and the Best Buy bag with stuff.

Just arrived from work too, so will try the game later and post impresisons; since I recently got the original on PS3 also.

I worked retail this morning at Gamestop. Worst launch I've ever had to do.

The amount of angry parents. The amount of screaming children. Two of us working easily had 200 customers.

Had to call security because kids kept trying to sneak behind the counter and take/steal the toys. We actually received a corporate memo to not put them on the shelf due to theft risk.

I need to lie down.

The amount of angry parents. The amount of screaming children. Two of us working easily had 200 customers.

Had to call security because kids kept trying to sneak behind the counter and take/steal the toys. We actually received a corporate memo to not put them on the shelf due to theft risk.

I need to lie down.

For which console this sold the most?

fernoca

Played for around an hour (PS3 version) some quick impressions/notes:
-You can skip cutscenes/dialogs by pressing the Triangle (Y on 360? ...don't know on Wii). At least it skipped a few I tried, don't know if it works every time.
-The "press the right analog" to open chests, or insert keys are gone. Not you just press the "action button" (Triangle on PS3).
-The new hub is Flynn's ship, which not only has access to the usuals (store, upgrades, training, etc.) but can also be customized with stuff you find during the game (color, decoration, etc.)

There also some other details like now the narrator saying the names of the enemies the first time they appear. The game also looks cleaner on PS3 than last year's.

Overall is a more polished, better done game. Music is as amazing as it was also. Now to get a few more figures..during the following days/weeks.

So I just posted in the Skylanders 1 OT about my haul of (pre-owned of course) 9 characters+game+portal for PS3 for like $26 (whoo-hoo!). I've never played, and I am super excited to play the original and soon Giants as soon as my replacement wireless dongle gets here from Activision.

I have a question tho: I am reading online that the PS3 wireless portal of power will also work in the Wii ... like they are interchangeable? Is that correct?

I know the figures all work cross platform, but the PS3 portal is being reported as Wii compatible as well. Is there truth to this? I think I can eBay a copy of the Wii game by itself for pretty cheap, and it would be nice to have compatibility for both games. Also, I think I would prefer the Wii version of giants, and in that case I could just grab the portal owners pack.

fernoca

So I just posted in the Skylanders 1 OT about my haul of (pre-owned of course) 9 characters+game+portal for PS3 for like $26 (whoo-hoo!). I've never played, and I am super excited to play the original and soon Giants as soon as my replacement wireless dongle gets here from Activision.

I have a question tho: I am reading online that the PS3 wireless portal of power will also work in the Wii ... like they are interchangeable? Is that correct?

I know the figures all work cross platform, but the PS3 portal is being reported as Wii compatible as well. Is there truth to this? I think I can eBay a copy of the Wii game by itself for pretty cheap, and it would be nice to have compatibility for both games. Also, I think I would prefer the Wii version of giants, and in that case I could just grab the portal owners pack.
From what I tried it worked at least it did last year/earlier this year. Even the 3DS portal worked on the Wii version (as it inlcuded an USB cable; though it is smaller in size).

Not sure if things changed since then; maybe someone else can check it out as I currently only have a PS3.

...and welcome. :p

AGITΩ

No "haul" per se, as I don't get paid until Friday; but was happy with the "Portal Owners Pack" and the Best Buy bag with stuff.

Just arrived from work too, so will try the game later and post impresisons; since I recently got the original on PS3 also.

Sucks boss, if you had gotten 2 skylanders figures along with that, you could've gotten one free. Since the Buy 2 get third Free works on all Skylanders character packs since our system registers them as "Games".

fernoca

AGITΩ;43456021 said:
Sucks boss, if you had gotten 2 skylanders figures along with that, you could've gotten one free. Since the Buy 2 get third Free works on all Skylanders character packs since our system registers them as "Games".
Oh, didn't knew since the shopper said "No Skylanders etc." Might go back later. Still short in money, still need to way untill Friday. Hopefully, the stores around here will have some nice figures.... :p

Zing

Banned

I need to lie down.
Is there no TRU, Best Buy, Walmart, etc within driving distance? Why the hell were 200 angry people coming to your store when they could have casually strolled into any of the above mentioned stores and walked out with a full set and no stress?

Can someone explain the appeal of this game? I've seen the demo at numerous stores, but it just seems gimmicky, or like it's physical DLC. I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't understand it.

AGITΩ

Oh, didn't knew since the shopper said "No Skylanders etc." Might go back later. Still short in money, still need to way untill Friday. Hopefully, the stores around here will have some nice figures.... :p

Doesnt work on the Starter Packs since those are $75, but I rang of plenty of people today and everything else packages out in the system. At least until Corporate gets wind of it.

Is there no TRU, Best Buy, Walmart, etc within driving distance? Why the hell were 200 angry people coming to your store when they could have casually strolled into any of the above mentioned stores and walked out with a full set and no stress?

A TRU is literally across the parking lot. We're a very popular gamestop.

The parents were angry mostly at:

1) Having to spend 100-200 dollars on their kids.
2) Having to wait in line.
3) Because they think they're important/special, or that their time is more valuable.

Parents are arguably the worst types of people to serve on launch days.

Edit: Oh, and many were pissed off that they had to go shopping after church.

DarkPanda

Does the paint job in-game look the same as the figure or does it look like normal crusher? Don't see it listed on the website, wondering if this is in-store only.

The in-game character looks the same as the figure, so the Target Crusher in-game is darker and has blue crystals. I think it looks a lot better than regular Crusher (and as an aside, the Legendary Bouncer looks way better than the default, both in-game an as a figure). This applies to ALL figures; whatever the figure looks like is what the in-game model looks like. The only exceptions to this appear to be taking a special series 2 figure back into the first game. For example, if you put the new Series 2 Legendary Ignitor back into Skylanders 1, you'll only get a regular Ignitor. This is because the Series 2 Legendary version didn't exist when Skylanders 1 came out, and thus the game has no data for it.

Zing

Banned
I'm receiving my copy of the game tomorrow, so it might mention this in the manual, but is there a way to transfer the character data from a series 1 figure to a series 2 figure?

Zing

Banned
Can someone explain the appeal of this game? I've seen the demo at numerous stores, but it just seems gimmicky, or like it's physical DLC. I'm not trying to be mean, I just don't understand it.

For me, it is the perfect co-op game to play with kids, or for kids. The figures are fun to play with even outside the game. The game design itself is very well done for new video gamers (e.g. characters cannot fall off edges or "die").

For adults, it's basically Gauntlet with fun, upgradable characters, a well-written and enjoyable script, and fresh game design. The first game was a tad too easy, so hopefully the hard mode on the sequel will fix that.

You can't look at the figures as "DLC". They are basically toys that you buy to play with or collect, and they happen to unlock a new character in a video game. Personally, I don't understand the people who buy toys like this that don't have a secondary purpose (star wars, final fantasy, gundam, etc figures), so I can see your perspective.

Orca

My daughter was at her grandparents for the weekend but she called me at 8 am and yelled "It's Skylanders day!!!" to remind me to go to the store.

Hit Walmart at about 8:30 and they hadn't put anything out. I grabbed some other stuff and came back to find the guy starting to open boxes. Stowed the packages and went back in to find a man and woman waiting. Another couple groups showed up while we waited for the display to get stocked, and it was pretty interesting to hear their stories of playing with their kids.

Got the starter pack, Pop Fizz, Crusher, and Swarm. My daughter got home in the afternoon and we played an hour or two so I might get Bouncer tomorrow and see if other figures are out.

Game is a decent step up visually (360 version) and the giants lighting up on the portal is a nice touch. Still not buying series one characters all over again though, and I wish there was a way to transfer gold from character to character.

hitmon

The in-game character looks the same as the figure, so the Target Crusher in-game is darker and has blue crystals. I think it looks a lot better than regular Crusher (and as an aside, the Legendary Bouncer looks way better than the default, both in-game an as a figure). This applies to ALL figures; whatever the figure looks like is what the in-game model looks like. The only exceptions to this appear to be taking a special series 2 figure back into the first game. For example, if you put the new Series 2 Legendary Ignitor back into Skylanders 1, you'll only get a regular Ignitor. This is because the Series 2 Legendary version didn't exist when Skylanders 1 came out, and thus the game has no data for it.

Thanks, I might have to hit up a Target now..

DarkPanda

At its core, the game is basically a hack-and-slash dungeon crawler. And it's actually pretty good at it. It's got secret areas, loot, collectibles, and the level design is solid. Aside from that, the specific appeal is:

1) Local Co-op! This is HUGE for a lot of people. Games with local co-op and RPG-like progression are rare nowadays, so any game that has this type of gameplay and has good, solid gameplay (which Skylanders does) is bound to attract an audience
2) Kid-friendly. The graphics and pacing of the game are meant to appeal to kids, without alienating adults. Thus, Nintendo-like, the game can be enjoyed by any age group that doesn't mind slightly cartoony presentation.
3) The Pokemon effect. Skylanders has the same catch-em-all/play your favorites appeal that Pokemon does. Some people want to collect every one, some only want to play the ones that "look cool". The game lets you do both.
4) "Physical DLC" is a good way to soften the blow. I do think that the figures are overpriced, and I think it's cheap how you NEED to buy every single one to get 100% in the game, psycologically getting a physical object makes it a little easier to swallow. Unlike Pokemon, you can do things with your collection outside of the game. You can display them, use them like regular action figures, or use them in the web game. And while your SFxTekken character may not work when the servers go off-line, I'll always be able to use my Camo.

Krabboss

1. Wii
2. 360/PS3
3. 3DS

Wii orders easily doubled 360/PS3.

I wonder if the kids and their parents will notice the incredibly poor framerate of the Wii version. I had the chance to mess around with the Wii version yesterday and visually it's pretty similar to the 360/PS3 versions (since they're as ugly as all get-out), but the framerate is maybe 15FPS? Chugged something fierce in the hub town - even worse with a second player. What a mess!

Sora_N

I'm in Canada, no way for me to get a Granite Crusher. Can anyone help me out with 2 please if possible? I really want to surprise my gf for Christmas.

Regarding the game, we played for a few hours today. Had fun. Everything just seems smoother. I love Tree Rex and Bouncer a lot, great chars.

Rootbeer

Banned
I bought the 3DS starter pack tonight. Going to snatch up the Wii U version when that's available, not sure what I'll think of the 3DS gameplay... we'll see! I also picked up the small shark guy.

I'm trying to decide on a few more characters to pick up. I know I won't be getting them all... just want a good variety of some of the coolest / best ones.

Katzii

I bought the 3DS starter pack tonight. Going to snatch up the Wii U version when that's available, not sure what I'll think of the 3DS gameplay... we'll see! I also picked up the small shark guy.

I'm trying to decide on a few more characters to pick up. I know I won't be getting them all... just want a good variety of some of the coolest / best ones.

Make sure you pick up at least one of each element so you can see all the game has to offer. You already have a Magic, Life and Undead from picking up the 3DS starter pack, and if you get the Wii U version, you will be adding an Air type to your arsenal.

If the "small shark guy" is Terrafin, you have an Earth type (and quite a good one at that!), so you would still need a Fire, Water and Tech type.

Rootbeer

Banned
Make sure you pick up at least one of each element so you can see all the game has to offer. You already have a Magic, Life and Undead from picking up the 3DS starter pack, and if you get the Wii U version, you will be adding an Air type to your arsenal.

If the "small shark guy" is Terrafin, you have an Earth type (and quite a good one at that!), so you would still need a Fire, Water and Tech type.

Thank you for the tips! The figures are quite cool on their own, I am fond of them already.

I notice the 3DS pack, while the portal has a mini-usb port, it does NOT come with the cord! Only batteries. Is this different from the spyro adventure 3ds pack?

Guess I have to find a cord soon... because you can use the portal on any machine provided you have the cord, right? Including PC?

*edit* well I feel a tiny bit ripped-off after watching some youtube reviews of the original skylanders for 3DS... which comes with the cable! I know it's a small thing but not everyone has these laying around... :p Guess i'll order one on amazon

Zomo

Hey I live in Australia and as far as I can tell Granite Crusher isn't available here (yet). If anyone happens to come across one I'd be more than happy to Paypal the cost + shipping + a bit extra for your troubles :)
Edit: Nevermind all good :)

Katzii

Thank you for the tips! The figures are quite cool on their own, I am fond of them already.

I notice the 3DS pack, while the portal has a mini-usb port, it does NOT come with the cord! Only batteries. Is this different from the spyro adventure 3ds pack?

Guess I have to find a cord soon... because you can use the portal on any machine provided you have the cord, right? Including PC?

*edit* well I feel a tiny bit ripped-off after watching some youtube reviews of the original skylanders for 3DS... which comes with the cable! I know it's a small thing but not everyone has these laying around... :p Guess i'll order one on amazon

Yeah, unfortunately, I think they've chosen to be a bit cheap this time around, although the cable was only used originally to connect the portal to a PC so you could play the Spyro's Universe online game.

I think people have said you can use the 3DS portal on other systems (not sure about PC, except for the online game as mentioned), but obviously the space is a lot more restricted!

The figures are definitely a decent collectible on their own (although I am finding the build quality perhaps a little lesser than before; my 3DS Tree Rex is loose around the middle, as is the hammer on my Crusher), and you have to exercise a lot of restraint to not go buying them all (which I did try first time around, but one full collection of Skylanders later, I would say I failed miserably!).

Also, has anyone in the UK had any luck coming across the Legendary figures, or should I be asking further afield?

Not completely true. There are special variants, Series 1 gold/silver/blue/red figures. Series 2 "rock" figures (Zook/Whirlwind). Those ones appear in game as if they were the regular version. The rule of thumb appears to be, if it has a prefix to it's name, it'll appear with the actual figure's paint job in game.

Does anyone know when those Wave 2 characters will be hitting other shops (worldwide)?

November 2nd I believe, but it hasn't been confirmed outside of the US. I have seen that date used on a European Amazon site though.

Also, has anyone in the UK had any luck coming across the Legendary figures, or should I be asking further afield?

I pre-ordered the triple pack and bouncer from TRU the day before launch. Then on launch day I popped into my local store and they had boatloads. I had to resist buying to sell them on.

TRU did release wave 2 today. My brother tried to go 30 minutes after the store opened to find only 1 figure left. There was apparently a line out the door at 9am according to a TRU employee.

I guess we're back to the old ways already.

Beckx

TRU did release wave 2 today. My brother tried to go 30 minutes after the store opened to find only 1 figure left. There was apparently a line out the door at 9am according to a TRU employee.

I guess we're back to the old ways already.

Yep. My wife is there now for last minute birthday gifts and the guy was just bringing out the box. Says they'll all be gone within 30 minutes.

Crazy.

Do love the new game. Major props to Toys for Bob for putting so much into this sequel - much improved visuals, difficulty levels, etc.

Now if they'd just include Mail Order Monsters as an unlockable minigame I'll be set.

Top Bottom