• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mevius Final Fantasy (iOS/And) announced: Kitase/Nojima/Itahana, console level [INFO]

DSix

Banned
549006054f587wissq.jpg

My heart almost stopped beating when I saw Sakaguchi.

Why is he here too if he isn't a part of this? Why is SE trolling us so hard those days?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
My heart almost stopped beating when I saw Sakaguchi.

Why is he here too if he isn't a part of this? Why is SE trolling us so hard those days?

The interview seems to be about FF's creator and his successor. So naturally they would have invited these two.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hopefully, it's not F2P, considering it's a traditional RPG, otherwise...I fear where this is going >_>

Wait, so it's like a retro-style Final Fantasy?

Why can't Square just release this shit as downloadable titles on traditional platforms alongside mobile...

duckroll

Why can't Square just release this shit as downloadable titles on traditional platforms.

It's unclear. Seems there's some connection to FF1, but at the same time it's a brand new high quality traditional RPG by staff who have worked on numbered FF games. Kitase is leading the production.

It's unclear. Seems there's some connection to FF1, but at the same time it's a brand new high quality traditional RPG by staff who have worked on numbered FF games. Kitase is leading the production.
Ah, so those NES blurbs on the scan aren't screenshots of the new game?

I'm willing to support substantial efforts on smartphones (especially something like a traditional Final Fantasy, which should work), but it's too bad that linking my US gmail account to my phone locked me out of the region I'm living and working in (Japan).

Interested to see some more information about this. They are throwing down some pretty big names to tie to a mobile game. Here's to hoping this is getting the time and attention it deserves internally.
Hopefully future iOS software updates don't break the game.
It's a bit disconcerting that this is a thing, and that Square's mobile division doesn't have the best track record of addressing these issues in a timely manner.

duckroll

Some additional details from the Sakaguchi/Kitase interview in Famitsu has been released:

- There map movement in the game will be automated, but the gameplay systems will be like a traditional FF
- He doesn't want it to feel inferior to a numbered FF game
- There will be Abilities and Jobs
- For a smartphone game, there is an unprecedented number of internal S-E developers working on this
- Many of them have worked on numbered FF games previously
- They're aiming for a smartphone game which is comparable to a console game
- The theme is "Warriors of Light"

Red Mage

Some additional details from the Sakaguchi/Kitase interview in Famitsu has been released:

- There map movement in the game will be automated, but the gameplay systems will be like a traditional FF
- For a smartphone game, there is an unprecedented number of internal S-E developers working on this

So, you can't choose where you'll go, or is there no actual world map and you just click on where to go next?

Stark

Banned
Quite excited for this because the veterans on this and particularly Kitase producing with them. I wonder who else is on board.

I wonder if there will be a world map then or just an overworld where you select your destination. I like the talk of putting some considerable effort into the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Quite excited for this because the veterans on this and particularly Kitase producing with them. I wonder who else is on board.

I wonder if there will be a world map then or just an overworld where you select your destination. I like the talk of putting some considerable effort into the game.

Square Enix noted the following in their last fiscal call: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/141106/page05.html

In the current native application market, a single major hit title can strip the market share by the root. On one hand, we aim to develop a smash success, however we also intend to offer quality titles that remain in the top ranks and establish a stable portfolio comprised of games with high profit performance.

Furthermore, device specifications have improved significantly, which means we can offer a wider variety of game types. This is a favorable environment for game companies like us. The Company will utilize its expertise to develop games that no other companies could realize. Such titles will be launched starting in the second half of FY 2015/3.

They talked about doing this back in May 2013, but it seems we're finally starting to see the results get announced.

Why can't Square just release this shit as downloadable titles on traditional platforms alongside mobile...
I don't get this either. I've said this before, many indies do that type of thing all the time, making versions not only for PC and mobile, but consoles too. Reach out to all different types of platforms and the potential gamers on them. The more you provide easier access to different gamers, the likely you'll be noticed. You focus just on one, you turn your back on other potential buyers(who'd probably be just as eager to shell out the cash as that "one" target platform crowd. Indies, while it's no doubt hard work, still accomplish this(even Kickstarter funded indies), yet the big studios can't even "try". The closest Square came to this was putting The After Years on Wii eShop back in the day. That's it.

Interesting that they're trying to make this a substantial mobile game, but haven't we seen enough of the "Warriors of Light" idea lately? Well, Square has been pretty good at running things into the ground in recent gens, so I'm not surprised...

vareon

Payment model to me is the big question here. Hopefully it's a one-off purchase instead of F2P which I'm still not fond of despite trying some of the better games.

Maybe they'll port this to Vita, too, but given their latest effort..

KNT-Zero

Return to the roots? Again? And the theme is Warriors of Light?

Don't we have this already?
Final_Fantasy_Gaiden.jpg

Plus, um, THIS?
PS_3DS_BravelyDefault_enGB.png

Oh well, if people actually want it, well, ok go ahead.

automated map movement just sounds like you choose a destination instead of walking around the world map.

Anyway, I will probably never play this, but I want to see some screenshots.

I hope you're not one of those people that complain that FFXV looks too different from the older games in the series...

Final_Fantasy_Gaiden.jpg

Plus, um, THIS?
PS_3DS_BravelyDefault_enGB.png

Oh well, if people actually want it, well, ok go ahead.

My thought exactly. Also it is strange how they are using Yoshitaka Amano recently : for some less ambitious games (on mobile or FFexplorers) and not for a FF that is supposed to be about going back to the roots of the series ? Weird.

Stark

Banned
Square Enix noted the following in their last fiscal call: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/141106/page05.html
They talked about doing this back in May 2013, but it seems we're finally starting to see the results get announced.

I actually think this is pretty good. Given these also seem to have a chance of coming over I hope, but it makes the mobile market more attractive for me at least in SE's case and it potentially sets them apart from the norm if they staff the talent on it.

duckroll

My thought exactly. Also it is strange how they are using Yoshitaka Amano recently : for some less ambitious games (on mobile or FFexplorers) and not for a FF that is supposed to be about going back to the roots of the series ? Weird.

We haven't seen the game logo design yet. Could be Amano.

wrowa

When I saw Sakaguchi on that scan I thought for a moment that this a the FFVI-like project Uematsu talked about a while ago. :(

This doesn't sound all too bad either, however. I just hope that map movement won't indeed be automated, because that sounds rather boring - it would be in line with the kind of mobile games that are popular in Japan, however. Battles and menu-based stuff.

Nerokis

Pretty interesting stuff. The ambition seems to be there, the staff seems to be there, and the platform is more viable than ever for this kind of vision. Dimensions was a solid attempt, but lacking. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Also, I hope this breaks the trend of SE's mobile FFs having terrible character models.

What does Kitase being producer even mean at this point? Unless they are trying to say he's director as well, I don't see how him producing it means anything.
Not that him being director means much either, personally, because I am not a big fan of some of the FFs he's directed.

Haunted

new FF for iOS/Android made by Kitase and "numbered FF staff"

they will show info on next week's famitsu.

549006054f587wissq.jpg
I saw this and was ready to lose my shit because it looked like Sakaguchi was involved.

Then I saw smartphone and... eh, you know.

Final_Fantasy_Gaiden.jpg
That was my second thought, yes.

Not that that was a bad game or anything, but it wasn't super great, either.

Neoweee

Hey, Square, why don't you release your "console level" mobile games on console too? I don't get why devs don't do that.

10x the development costs, if not more, while selling worse? Seems like decent reasons.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought people meant making console games, not just porting phone versions to consoles (which Square-Enix does, or the reverse, sometimes at least)

dramatis

It's entirely possible that they're treating the "Warriors of Light" theme as going back to their roots, given that they are approaching this game as 'retro' or whatnot. If they can find solid footing there and make a good game out of it, sure.

Top Bottom