• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

La Chilindrina meets Stranger Things - Netflix knows whats up

To me they are all the same, an embarrassing party. Mediocre characters taking part in silly stupid shows. Is a shame people know more about them than their national history.
Did el chavo shit on your cereal? You don't like the show. Saying "speak for yourself" means nothing when chespirito, and particularly el chavo del ocho, are a timeless Latin American icon.

Your issue has little to do with el chavo and more with people who focus on pop culture vs history. Which exist like in every freaking culture lmao.

Seems not funny at all to me kind of like a real life “When The Whistle Blows”.

250px-Ray.jpg

You havin a laugh?

televator

Shes freaking not, she is embarrassing.

Speak for yourself.

To me they are all the same, an embarrassing party. Mediocre characters taking part in silly stupid shows. Is a shame people know more about them than their national history.

Are you really comparing friends to el chavo?

Good lord, I'm out.

My self loather meter is peaking. Emberasing compared to show like friends? Oh I’m sorry. I guess when white US people make silly shows they must be more legit than a Latin show with millions more fans and cultural appeal across multiple borders over many generations of people.

Jezan

She's amazing to us Hispanics.
Ay no! Glad you don't really speak for all of us.

Fucking Chavo del 8 is just a piece of dumb shit. The stuff they did was never funny, don't know why it's iconic, oh wait, probably cause there was nothing else.

The fucking shoved la Chilindrina's voice in Wreck it Ralph and it was a disaster.

So they they let televisa just take away el chavo and el chapulin from Netflix and now they pull this, f u Netflix.

Also idk but el chavo is universally loved here in Chile and I still laugh with it today.

tbm24

Ay no! Glad you don't really speak for all of us.

Fucking Chavo del 8 is just a piece of dumb shit. The stuff they did was never funny, don't know why it's iconic, oh wait, probably cause there was nothing else.

The fucking shoved la Chilindrina's voice in Wreck it Ralph and it was a disaster.
I mean, if you’re in Latin America or have family/visited Latin America, or watched in the US like I did, you know you’re full of shit. El Chavo was funny and still loved to this day. Did you check out the internet when he died?

I mean, if you’re in Latin America or have family/visited Latin America, or watched in the US like I did, you know you’re full of shit. El Chavo was funny and still loved to this day. Did you check out the internet when he died?

Come on.
I don't know this show at all, but nothing is objectively funny to everyone(or an entire nation, generation, culture), and if he dislikes it and doesn't enjoy the sense of humor, or course he won't like it when he's told it's objectively enjoyable, and accused of being full of shit for his opinion.

Lots of self-loathing latin american people itt
What's up with statements like this?
If someone told me I was self-loathing for not liking <iconical Austrian band/series/movie>, I'd be angry as hell.
Why do a bunch of people here feel the need to invalidate opinions or attack identity because of something like this?

Where is fucking Quico? :p

Also Don Ramon was GOAT

Only show from mexico that i really liked airing on spanish TV lol
We watched this on La2 after a ton of cartoons when arriving from school on the evening, then changed to Antena 3 to watch the last part of Alta Tension (RIP Constantino Romero) and then watch The Simpsons at 8pm (RIP Carlos Revilla)

Regional promos are amazing.

Nothing can beat Netflix using the Hijodeputa song to promote Narcos

Wait, never saw this, This is fucking AMAZING!

Netflix need to greenlight a show with the Hora Chanante/Muchachada Nui troupe. Im sure that is the perfect way for their type of show to very comercially succesful.

DeviantBoi

I saw it when it was first posted.

It's not funny, funny... but I still freaking love it.

I grew up with El Chavo so all those characters are very dear to me.

Leunam

Damn, not only is there hate for La Chilindrina but someone took a shot at La India Maria too?

My day is off to a terrible start.

MUnited83

For you.
You misunderstand.
He's saying it's wrong that she's known/amazing to Hispanics in general, as Spanish people are hispanic and do not know her or the series.

Since when do Spanish aka Europeans become Hispanic, because their not.. their not Latino their not Hispanic, their white Europeans..

Actually Spanish are both. Hispanic by all definitions, and Latinos as well, even if doesn't fit the American definition of that word.

You misunderstand.
He's saying it's wrong that she's known/amazing to Hispanics in general, as Spanish people are hispanic and do not know her or the series.

El Chavo del 8 was superpopular in Spain during the 90's.
We also had el Chapulin Colorado, but that never became famous.

80's-early 90's spanish kids know about El Chavo a lot. It was the last show after cartoons of the evening block of La 2, and after that kids changed the channel to watch the Simpsons at 8pm.
So you would be very wrong saying that.

You are right that we are not Latinos. We are from latin (and moor) descendence though.

Actually Spanish are both. Hispanic by all definitions, and Latinos as well, even if doesn't fit the American definition of that word.

No, not really.

Zeke

This is amazing, the fact that Chilindrina is on the front page of gaf is even more amazing. I was gonna work on homework this morning but now I think I'm gonna watch some chavo instead.

El Chavo del 8 was superpopular in Spain during the 90's.
We also had el Chapulin Colorado, but that never became famous.

80's-early 90's spanish kids know about El Chavo a lot. It was the last show after cartoons of the evening block, and after that kids changed the channel to watch the Simpsons at 8pm.
So you would be very wrong saying that

Ah, then Metroxed was wrong with their sweeping statement about the Spanish not knowing her. Interesting.
But what you quoted was just an explanation of what Metroxed said.

Latinoamericano has americano at the end as a differentiator, but the word Latino by itself without that differentiator only refers to Latin people, people from countries that have their language based in derivatives of Latin.

It doesn't. If you want me to read your link(I did), read mine.
Calling someone from Spain "latino" in an English sentence wouldn't be correct. It'd be "latin", like you said.
Latino always refers to people from Latin America.
But that's just semantics I guess.

Ah, then Metroxed was wrong with their sweeping statement about the Spanish not knowing her. Interesting.
But what you quoted was just an explanation of what Metroxed said.

Ah got it!
Then yeah, Metroxed is completely wrong.

Spain, during the 80's and 90's had from latin american television... El Chavo and Chapulin for kids and a good bunch of latin american telenovelas at 4am for grandmothers to watch.
Also until Beauty and The Beast, the cartoon companies went the cheap way and just dubbed cartoons on "neutral" spanish. Beauty and the beast had a great castillian dub (actually the first one was a christmas direct to VHS mickey movie, but the first theatrical was B&tB) and apart from some 90's scooby doo (scooby doo mystery Inc and the live action movies were the first to be dubbed in castillian), all was finally dubbed and companies havent looked bad.

Also while there is a telenovelas channel that air latin american telenovelas still, the rest of channels have changed those type of telenovelas to their own spanish produced ones since the 2005 (most of them are about old 1890-1900 spain, the last big latin american one was Pasion de Gavilanes and Betty la Fea IIRC lol)

Why would Netflix do this? Stranger Things doesn’t need this attention and it seems very lame.
To promote the show? And it worked. It was a worldwide trending topic on Monday! This was targeted for Latin America anyway. If you didn't grow up with El Chavo this isn't for you.

turmoil

Banned
I consider latino to mean both things. Peoples heavily influenced by the former Roman empire and Latinamerican.

In HS when I was being taught history of the Castilian language(in Argentina), the textbook spoke of latino countries/languages, here latino usually isn't used as a demonym of latinoamerican.

I think it is like that because is a meaning originated in the US and we are quite far for its influence to reach in full, but people knows what is supposed to confer.

That looks out of place lmao. What's up with Netflix shows having zero coherence

It's not a real scene.
It's an old actress from a very popular comedy show re-acting a serious scene from Stranger Things.
In the origonal, it's a young girl.

I consider latino to mean both things. Peoples heavily influenced by the former Roman empire and Latinamerican.

In HS when I was being taught history of the Castilian language(in Argentina), the textbook spoke of latino countries/languages, here latino usually isn't used as a demonym of latinoamerican.

I think it is like that because is a meaning originated in the US and we are quite far for its influence to reach in full, but people knows what is supposed to confer.
I don't think Spanish people would (in English) usually say "I'm latino" is what it boils down to, IMO.
It's an identity, and to my understanding, people in Spain don't use it.
When speaking English, "latino" doesn't meant both. It's very confusing. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Latino

I'm assuming that if your HS classes were translated into English, the "latino" you describe would be simply "latin".

It's not a real scene.
It's an old actress from a very popular comedy show re-acting a serious scene from Stranger Things.
In the origonal, it's a young girl.

I don't think Spanish people would (in English) usually say "I'm latino" is what it boils down to, IMO.
It's an identity, and to my understanding, people in Spain don't use it.

When speaking English, "latino" doesn't meant both. It's very confusing. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Latino

I'm assuming that if your HS classes were translated into English, the "latino" you describe would be simply "latin".

Dont worry, as a spaniard I can say you are not wrong, and we never say "Soy latino" ("I'm latino"). Same with french, protuguese and italians, that all carry latin blood, and parts of their lagunage are based from latin.

tbm24

Come on.
I don't know this show at all, but nothing is objectively funny to everyone(or an entire nation, generation, culture), and if he dislikes it and doesn't enjoy the sense of humor, or course he won't like it when he's told it's objectively enjoyable, and accused of being full of shit for his opinion.

It's in response to him not understanding why it's iconic other than his assertion that there was nothing else on TV. It was loved and it's iconic because many Latin Americans found it funny and loved it, the poster I quoted not liking it their own choice.

Why would Netflix do this? Stranger Things doesn't need this attention and it seems very lame.

The reason Netflix creates and promotes original content is to grow its subscriber base, not rest on its laurels and say 'ah we don't need new viewers.' Chavo del Ocho characters are central to the 80's nostalgia that has sold so many on this show.

Top Bottom