• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Im missing Valis 3 and Rolling Thunder 2 myself, but guess this is an excellent opportunity to track them down.

Btw guys, be sure to get your Marvel Land for april!

I voted Rolling Thunder 2 because I played through the original arcade version up to the final boss with my girlfriend not too long ago, and I simply do not understand how it is possible to beat the final boss of this game and his looping laser attack with two people, and as I generally understand it, the Genesis version is even harder, with the final boss having an additional final attack pattern that you have to fight through. I want to talk about it!

(The Genesis version is incidentally a very good port of an essentially Neo-Geo-spec game, losing almost nothing in the conversion but the sample-based music and a smidge of color depth)

hey guys,
i brought this bc i couldn't find ristar cheap. it was part of a buy 2 get 1 free deal
QgA6CFMh.jpg
mRr6UrGh.jpg

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
using vf4 akira to advertise vf2 genesis is pretty silly, but only slightly less silly than using vf5 akira
9XyvSZG.jpg

"collector's edition"

Shaneus

using vf4 akira to advertise vf2 genesis is pretty silly, but only slightly less silly than using vf5 akira
9XyvSZG.jpg

"collector's edition"
I'd never buy one of those boxes, but I wonder if there's a way to get hacky with those controllers and use them on an OG MD somehow. Either wireless it otherwise.

Shaneus

That would be interesting! Can you stick a 32X in one of these cheap clone genesis'?
Not at all, because they're usually emulation and don't support even certain games like Virtua Racing (and I believe there's a handful of others that most of these clones don't play properly).

I'm just thinking the actual tech used for the wireless controllers. If it's a daughterboard or something, maybe they can be tinkered with. But that's in the hope that those controllers feel at least somewhat similar to the original controllers.

Picked up Dyanmite Headdy and as someone who grew up with the Western release it's interesting playing the Japanese original and seeing all the things they changed.
And with more continues, I might actually beat it this time round!

Galdelico

oh i need to vote... looking at ebay at the moment seeing what's affordable CIB lol
ristar was like 100 CIB =P
Don't tell me. Everytime I look for a complete JP copy, I feel really sad...
On a more positive note, today I scored a Granada + DJ Boy combo (both Japanese and brand new) for around 30 shipped. Very minor games, but stil... Kinda ages I want to try DJ Boy, and I've read Granada is pretty decent, so I thought it was a good deal after all.

gelf

Finally got round to playing Ristar(On PC). Finding it surprisingly difficult, the music level with the bouncy drums and the spikes has killed me a lot. Also that memory test on the fire level killed me a few times and I ended up hastily pen and papering it because my short term memory obviously sucks. Game is nice and generous with the continues at least.

Zubz

Banned
I've been Jonesing to play some of my old Genesis games (Ristar included, despite just seeing this thread) but I realized that I no longer have a CRT, & can't find anywhere to plug in the A/V cables on this newest TV.

Any recommendations on adapters to play Genesis (Or other classic systems, potentially including a Saturn or Odyssey 2) on an HDMI TV? Or on a convenient CRT I can keep just for older systems?

I've been Jonesing to play some of my old Genesis games (Ristar included, despite just seeing this thread) but I realized that I no longer have a CRT, & can't find anywhere to plug in the A/V cables on this newest TV.

Any recommendations on adapters to play Genesis (Or other classic systems, potentially including a Saturn or Odyssey 2) on an HDMI TV? Or on a convenient CRT I can keep just for older systems?

If you're ready to dive into the expensive world of RGB, I recommend one of the following.

HDTV Solutions: XRGB-3, Framemeister, OSSC
CRT: PVM (This is what I do)

If you aren't prepared to spend several hundred dollars and get a new obsession, just search craigslist and thrift stores for a cheap CRT. Do not get anything cheap to plug your games into your HDTV. You'll have a bad time.

If you are interested in diving into rabbit hole, join us in the Retro AV thread.

TeaJay

If you aren't prepared to spend several hundred dollars and get a new obsession, just search craigslist and thrift stores for a cheap CRT. Do not get anything cheap to plug your games into your HDTV. You'll have a bad time.

If you are interested in diving into rabbit hole, join us in the Retro AV thread.

This. I assume this is about the US CRT's so unfortunately no RGB scart for you. If you're €, things will be infinitely easier. But playing Genesis in composite on a CRT is still waaaay better than playing Genesis in composite on a HDTV (it's awful!)

So, in leiu of the movie coming this week, i replayed the Power Rangers: The Movie game for the Genesis again, as i played it to death as a kid.

Well by no means holding up today, its not bad as far as licensed games are concerned. The punches feel good, everything moves fluid enough. It does seem to drag a bit, but it has moments, and doesn't overstay its welcome. Nice diversion, if nothing else.

BTails

Voted Toe Jam and Earl, because that game has the MAD soundtrack that makes your Genny/Mega-Drive sing. No robot farts there, just sweet sweet bass heavy grooves from the planet Funkotron.

(Plus, it's a really fun game that would now be categorized as a "Rogue-Like", since that's a thing now)

Leynos

I voted for Ranger X.

I recently bought a 32X, but am having issues getting it to work. My model 1 Genesis is modified to output S-video, has an overclock switch, and can play games from any region. I am assuming that the issue is with the modifications, so I am thinking that I am going to sell my modded system, and buy a stock one so that I can get my 32X, and Sega CD to work. For the time being, I will have to stick with composite on my shitty CRT until I can get an upscaler, and RGB cable.

This leads me to two questions:
1. The best video coming from a Genesis model 1 + Sega CD model 2 + 32X is RGB from the 32X, yes?

2. What could I sell my modded Genesis for?

Galdelico

Collector's GAF, a good friend of mine is going to unload a few collectible titles that he's not particularly fond of, in order to get some extra cash to invest in a couple of AES carts he still wants to add to his Neo Geo collection.

One of those titles is Twinkle Tale for the Mega Drive.

He's not on GAF, so I'm basically reporting on his account: he's looking for around 550 euros - we are located in Italy, but he will ship anywhere - even though he's open to deal on the final price.
To anyone who may be interested, the game is of course legit (he bought it NIB around ten years ago), and kept in like new conditions. It's been opened - not even sure it came sealed to begin with - but it's never been put into a cartridge slot. I've seen it in person and I can confirm it's beautiful, absolutely mint and shiny. Not a single scuffmark on the cart itself, manual and reg card are pristine, the box has always been wrapped, so there's no hint of discoloration/sunfade.
I would've bought it myself, but with games like Vampire Killer and Alien Soldier still on my wishlist, I can't really justify that amount of money, for investment's sake only.

I'll post this on the B/S thread too, but I thought to give you guys a bit of a preview, here. He's like me, a buyer for the most part - absolutely not a reseller - and I can guarantee an open and smooth transaction. He's genuinely a cool dude.

I've already got a few WhatsApp pictures, so if any of you is interested, shoot me a PM and I'll forward them immediately.

IrishNinja

Voted Toe Jam and Earl, because that game has the MAD soundtrack that makes your Genny/Mega-Drive sing. No robot farts there, just sweet sweet bass heavy grooves from the planet Funkotron.

(Plus, it's a really fun game that would now be categorized as a "Rogue-Like", since that's a thing now)

in my life, ive found there's never a wrong time to play ToeJam & Earl

i picked rolling thunder 2, bc i never played it.

i loved rolling thunder part one in the arcade. could get to the bats in the arcade in a quarter and that's about it. (after the lava stage and apes)

IrishNinja

I never played it. I've always loved the cover art though.

i mean, i can see how some feel it's such a time capsule - early 90s hip hop sound/aesthetic mixed with 90s anti-authority/etc attitude, but put that over a fun roguelike engine & make good use of the genny's sound chip, and it's a classic, by me.

it's got problems - you can be absolutely wrecked by enemies you have little defense over in later levels, and god knows luck plays a big factor (if you can safely identify the randomizer, your chances of success go up tremendously) - but some of that feels inherent to the genre.

Have you ever played the NES version of Rolling Thunder 1?

man that was one cart i could not get my toaster to load, finally got to play it on my everdrive!

Peltz

i mean, i can see how some feel it's such a time capsule - early 90s hip hop sound/aesthetic mixed with 90s anti-authority/etc attitude, but put that over a fun roguelike engine & make good use of the genny's sound chip, and it's a classic, by me.

it's got problems - you can be absolutely wrecked by enemies you have little defense over in later levels, and god knows luck plays a big factor (if you can safely identify the randomizer, your chances of success go up tremendously) - but some of that feels inherent to the genre.

How does the core gameplay work? Is there any combat to it? I'm looking at footage and it just looks like a lot of wandering around to my untrained eyes.

How does the core gameplay work? Is there any combat to it? I'm looking at footage and it just looks like a lot of wandering around to my untrained eyes.

The goal of the game is to find all of the ship pieces and the elevator to the next stage. The challenge of the game comes from enemy avoidance and resource management. You can't attack enemies unless you've opened a present which gives you the ability to do so (such as tomatoes). As you progress, there are a lot more hazards, more enemies, and the enemies you see become much more aggressive.

BTails

The goal of the game is to get all of the pieces of ship so you can escape Earth. Each level is randomly generated. You have to find an elevator up to the next level to continue, and are notified when you reach a level that contains a ship piece.

The game creates a map as you go along, to help you. The levels "stack" on top of each other: for example if you fall off an edge on level 8, you'll land on level 7 and have to take the elevator back up again. Some enemies have a nasty habit of pushing you off edges.

As you explore, you come across presents, which give you a random item. Items can include tomatoes to attack enemies, wings that let you fly, shoes that let you dash, food to restore health... Some presents have bad effects, like teleporting you randomly to another spot in the map, or even straight up killing you. Once you open a present though, every other similar one gets labeled in your inventory. So for example, if you open a blue striped present that kills you, your inventory will now label all those presents as "Death" (I actually think it reads "Total Bummer").

The game starts off easy, but as you get further, enemies become harder and you really have to have a stockpile of good presents to make it through. The game is great in 2-player as well, both characters can explore independently of each other: the game screen splits when characters walk too far from each other, and snaps back together when reunited.

....I really wanna play Toe Jam and Earl now.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Was finally able to check out and complete a few levels of Ristar today. And while it looks great, and seems to be pretty creative at times, i still dont quite feel it. The levels are pretty big, but they dont really seem to give you anything interesting for exploring, the enemies are (so far) mostly stupidly easy and can mostly be skipped completely. The bosses are pretty cool though. Will see if i can complete it this weekend. Also going to stop the voting this weekend.

And by the way, i will continue to participate in this thread, but wont be able to join in on the april-game (Marvel Land) since i am going to Paris for the whole month (and half of may). And my Mega Drive and all my other gaming equipment stays at home. But yeah, still going to read and write in retro-gaf of course.

Was finally able to check out and complete a few levels of Ristar today. And while it looks great, and seems to be pretty creative at times, i still dont quite feel it. The levels are pretty big, but they dont really seem to give you anything interesting for exploring, the enemies are (so far) mostly stupidly easy and can mostly be skipped completely. The bosses are pretty cool though. Will see if i can complete it this weekend. Also going to stop the voting this weekend.

I've been playing the last couple days as well. I think the music in the first couple of levels pretty catchy, but forgettable as the game goes on. The bosses for the most part, are creative, but real pushovers. I was having fun with the game up until, Level 4: Planet Freon. Too many areas where your sliding uncontrollably in tight spaces, with enemies conveniently placed to cause damage, is annoying. Overall I like it and I probably wrap it up this weekend.

Galdelico

It looks pretty ace, even though that fancy post-processing is clearly photoshopped.
How does it usually work with these homebrew games? Is there a webpage where one can place an order? Or was this a Kickstarter, so it's limited to those who funded the project? If it comes out on cart and boxed, I'd love to buy a copy.

IrishNinja

it's Watermelon games, so they're always...interesting

here's a guide:

oh, it's really quite simple
first you need money
then you need to convert it to gems (not duckets, those are unacceptable apparently)
to do that you'll need a WM account, requiring two forms of government ID, a police officer there to verify the whole thing, four or five of my buddies and Neal taking notes, and R. Kelly's grandma to confirm your identity
finally you just need a time machine (NOTE: please make sure it's like Dr. DOOM's and doesn't actually mess up the timeline) to go back to about 2014 or so, when we were expected to invest on a project name & genre and nothing else, and then basically be told to suck eggs for a few years while waiting for any info justifying that investment because lololol ya'll remember video game magazines in the '90s? this'll be like that, only an entire console generation of E3 will pass before you even get a name

that's pretty much it, looking back i don't know how they could've made it any easier honestly

im sure it'll be simpler when they just put em up on their site post-release

Top Bottom