• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Knowland (Lead Character Artist) leaves Naughty Dog

suedester

Banned
There goes my hype for TLOU 2 then. The guy is absolutely amazing sculptor,the game won't be the same without him.

I fucking love these sorts of posts. Some person I've never heard of leaves company, hype for next game not announced or due anytime soon DEAD!

Axass

1. Create what was regarded as the pinnacle of AAA gaming.
2. Fire half the studio.
3. Scream Druckmann!
4. ????
5. Profit!

Seriously though, that's weird after such a streak of big hits, the studio has never been more popular and suddenly lots of important developers are leaving.

mclem

Here's some of his work

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?1027594&p=1027594&viewfull=1#post1027594

tNQ7yXu.jpg

Can't unsee Post-It hair.

Raist

Banned
Isn't that the guy who made the Joel Banderas?
Someone from ND mentioned who made it on twitter but can't find it.

ITT: We learn which people haven't got the slightest clue how an actual studio functions.

For christs sake there are h-u-n-d-r-e-d-s of people working at major studios at any given time, with people constantly leaving and joining. Do you have any clue how many key people left during the Crash days? Jak days? Even after Uncharted?

There are also these things called contracts. See, sometimes they run out. Sometimes these key guys actually specify they only want to work there for a certain amount of time, because most likely they're in the middle of striking up their next work period with another studio. Sometimes this happens in batches. Sometimes friends jump from studio to studio. Sometimes people leave for creative differences.

Seriously these threads always play out the same way. If only some of you had a clue how many key players have come and gone from your favorite studios.
There goes my hype for TLOU 2 then. The guy is absolutely amazing sculptor,the game won't be the same without him.
Holy tap dancing fuck, people can't seriously be this ignorant.

Hermii

It definitely feels like something major happened at not just Naughty Dog, but Sony studios as a whole. Tons of leads leaving, across 4 of their top studios. Very few game announcements. Delays of games. Silence from the usually chatty Yoshida and Boyd.

They are coasting on their great PS4 launch, but they haven't done shit for months but put out a steady stream of terrible news.

4 top leads at Naughty Dog, minimum
Lead of God of War
Lead of inFamous SS
Lead of The Last Guardian
Jack Tretton

All gone. Basically no exclusives shown at all, still, besides Drive Club and The Order.

Sony loves devs so much, they are giving them permanent vacations.

1. Create what was regarded as the pinnacle of AAA gaming.
2. Fire half the studio.
3. Scream Druckmann!
4. ????
5. Profit!

Seriously though, that's weird after such a streak of big hits, the studio has never been more popular and suddenly lots of important developers are leaving.

So that's why they're called "naughty gods"! They made TLOU and uncharted with 10 people!

It definitely feels like something major happened at not just Naughty Dog, but Sony studios as a whole. Tons of leads leaving, across 4 of their top studios. Very few game announcements. Delays of games. Silence from the usually chatty Yoshida and Boyd.

They are coasting on their great PS4 launch, but they haven't done shit for months but put out a steady stream of terrible news.

4 top leads at Naughty Dog, minimum
Lead of God of War
Lead of inFamous SS
Lead of The Last Guardian
Jack Tretton

All gone. Basically no exclusives shown at all, still, besides Drive Club and The Order.
Lead of God of War? I thought David Jaffe left years ago? Cory Barlog is still there too. Or do you mean the project lead for one of the six god of war games?
Lead of Infamous SS? The gameplay designer left, not the project lead.
Lead of Last Guardian? He's still at Sony on a contract basis.
Living up to that tag though. :)

Footos22

Yawn 3 or 4 people leave out of a studio of what a couple of hundred and all the hyperbole starts.
"wtf is up at naughty dog bla bla bla"

5 people left my company last week. There's like 600 employes. Doomed I tell you.

Bishop89

Yawn 3 or 4 people leave out of a studio of what a couple of hundred and all the hyperbole starts.
"wtf is up at naughty dog bla bla bla"

5 people left my company last week. There's like 600 employes. Doomed I tell you.

better start looking for another job, YOU'RE NEXT!

Abdiel

The leaps of logic and rampant speculation on the reasonings and internal politics for why these people have left are mind-boggling. I feel like because of Linked-In and Twitter is the only reason we're even aware of the departures, when they've been happening throughout the entire time video games have been a thing. Sheesh.

kmax

inb4 Stratley and Druckmann leave too.

Srsly though, don't really see the big deal. People come and go all the time. It could be that he got a better deal over at someplace else.

inb4 Stratley and Druckmann leave too.

Srsly though, don't really see the big deal. People come and go all the time. It could be that he got a better deal over at someplace else.

Plenty of people out there who would pay to see Druckmann force out a mini Druckmann.

How about we start a new thread each time someone is hired by ND too?

At this point I would rather not take shortcuts. I want floor schematics and seating charts of every major development house worldwide. Every time someone moves their desk, hell every time someone has something new for breakfast I would like to see a thread created so we can speculate as to why. Only then will the pattern emerge and the secrets we all seek be revealed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My personal, non-educated feeling is that after the running success of the Uncharted series and the strike now with The Last of Us, so many people are leaving because the company has decided to go in some direction that not everyone is agreeing with.

After you make a game like The Last of Us, you have to wonder where you will go next, and it's a hard decision, and I am guessing whatever answer the company has come to is not one all are on-board or interested in following.

Taij

Can't unsee Post-It hair.

For everyone complaining about the hair/beard. When you are setting up hair to be simulated you will make it into quad strips like this. Each strip will be mapped to a clump of hair that gets simulated and blown around. So don't look at this and think that he is incapable of modeling hair just because you don't know why it looks the way it does.

Tobor

All it will take to shut these idiot chicken littles up is an Uncharted 4 reveal. E3 can't get here fast enough.

Leflus

Nate Wells left Naughty Dog about a week ago. There was a thread about it. Don't know, could be just the regular industry turnover but I think something bad went down at ND with Amy Hennig's departure and it had an impact on the atmosphere.
I know. My post was more about the fact that people have made threads about devs joining ND as well.

Griss

Didn't comment on the first two, but three major departures at once is strange, and troubling.

Could be the old 'Super Bowl Winner' effect. Once you're known as the best, your best employees get massive offers from all over the place and are very difficult to keep.

Interfectum

Step 1: Help release a title that garners tons of GOTY awards and sells a bunch

Step 2: Put that on your resume and become more valuable

Step 3: Move to another job for more money and power

Are we going to get a thread for every employee that leaves Naughty Dog?

This has become a joke.

I'm personally fine with these threads, especially if those who leave/join are top-flight talents with either years of experience or proven themselves ( this guy did the Clicker design ), but these threads are also often not constructive, with memes of Druckmann ( still think it's pretty rude ) or instant association with the other sides of the story(Amy/Justin/Todd/UC4, etc) , even though a simple LinkedIn check will show that this guy obviously had nothing to do with Uncharted 4, since he was part of TLoU team, and only joined in 2011 as well.

_Ryo_

How many employees did ND have? Seems at least 2 people leave every week.

I'm pretty ignorant about it all but why not just close the studio if everyone is gonna leave?

Top Bottom