• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
!!! Destiny 2 was in beta when this thread was created. Early impressions may not be indicative of launch build performance. !!!

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
destiny2sysreqsq7km0.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
ComputerBase (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; beta build)
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
GamersNexus (English; beta build)
GamersNexus (English; launch build)
Guru3D (English; launch build)
Hardware Unboxed (English; beta build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; beta build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
TechPowerUp (English; beta build)
Techspot (English; beta build)

Tips and tricks:
Benchmarks (NV), settings comparisons, and recommended settings (NV): See Nvidia's tweak guide.
Cap the framerate (1)/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). (Destiny 2 does not support DLL injection.) Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
List of vital information and known issues: See this forum post. (Credit to Bungie itself.)
Fix native resolution not showing as a selectable display resolution (1): Ensure you're not mistaking window mode (Borderless Windowed) for borderless fullscreen mode (Fullscreen Windowed). (Credit to EchoSmoker.)
Fix native resolution not showing as a selectable display resolution (2): Disconnect any additional displays. (Credit to Deepo.)
Cap the framerate (2): Open C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bungie\DestinyPC\prefs\cvars.xml and change the value of framerate_cap to your desired limit. (Credit to vegtro.)

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Window mode: Windowed; Fullscreen; Borderless Windowed; Windowed Fullscreen
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Vsync: Off; 60fps; 30fps
Field of view: 55 -> 105 in increments of 1
Screen bounds: Self-explanatory
Brightness: Self-explanatory
Graphics quality (preset): Custom; Low; Medium; High; Highest
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA
Screen-space ambient occlusion: Off; HDAO; 3D
Texture anisotropy: Off; 2x; 4x; 8x; 16x
Texture quality: Lowest; Low; Medium; High; Highest
Shadow quality: Lowest; Low; Medium; High; Highest

Depth of field: Off; Low; High; Highest
Environmental detail distance: Low; Medium; High
Character detail distance: Low; Medium; High
Foliage detail distance: Low; Medium; High
Foliage shadows distance: Medium; High; Highest
Light shafts: Medium; High
Motion blur: Off/On
Wind impulse: Off/On
Render resolution: 75% -> 200% in increments of 1%
HDR: Off/On
Chromatic aberration: Off/On
Film grain: Off/On

Tovarisc

i5 6600K @ 4.2
16GB
980Ti

Running 1080p and maxed out. Max FoV, 105. Campaign mission is running smooth as butter.

screenshot3x9svx.png

Mareg

My god the recommended specs difference between Intel and AMD are worrying me.

I mean, they compare aging sandy bridge low-grade i5 to one of the very best gaming CPU AMD's got on the market. That is insane to me.

If that is maxed out, then clearly the MSAA setting isn't doing MSAA.

From the other thread:

Shadowplay completely works for me, even the FPS counter for it is on. That's how I took those screenshots earlier!

Pro-tip, MSAA options kills my framerate! I turned it on after using SMAA and my framerate tanked to the mid 40s in a room empty of enemies, but with SMAA it stayed at around 70+fps.

People should prolly be clear when posting their impressions, what AA they're running.

Tempted to use the wife's desktop to try out the ultrawide monitor and 3d since my game room machine is better but attached to a TV. Also to see how it runs for her since she running a 6core amd with a 750ti.

Wallach

MSAA is basically off the table right now, at least at 1440p and up. Won't be going down to 1080p to see but I imagine it is the same there. Game seems to be swimming in alphas.

My min FPS through the entire intro section to the Director screen was 90 FPS on the nose, using the canned settings @ 90 FOV for 1080 Ti. On G-Sync (RTSS @ 140) but frame timing felt really, really good.

Riptwo

My god the recommended specs difference between Intel and AMD are worrying me.

I mean, they compare aging sandy bridge low-grade i5 to one of the very best gaming CPU AMD's got on the market. That is insane to me.
That surprised me as well. I'm guessing that the game values raw core clock speed over multicore performance, which worries me as a 1600x owner.

robotrock

Banned
I'm running this on high settings using a 970 at 2560x1440p and getting 50-60fps. Gonna tinker with it a bit more and see if I can get a locked 60 at that resolution

Wounded

In game was buttery smooth maxed out (aside from AA) @ 3440x1440 on a Titan X pascal + 4790k.

Cutscenes juddered for me a little though. Not sure what that was about.

Joey Ravn

Banned
GTX 1080 (no OC)
i7 6700K@4.2 GHz (IIRC, I haven't touched the OC since I installed it)
16GB DDR4 RAM
ASUS ROG PG248Q G-Sync @144 Hz
All settings at highest available (either High or Highest), except for antialising (SMAA).
1080p, 100% scaling, dedicated fullscreen.

~120 FPS min, 144 FPS max during both the story mission and strike.

Sooooooo good.

3D on left, HDAO on right. Same with combined shot below those.

Wow, that is a huge difference. Thanks so much for taking though. I wonder what it is doing, but the way the corner is actually shaded makes me think it may actually be "real AO" actually in world, not screen space.

Hip Hop

Waiting on GTX 970 performance marks.

Played the whole intro.

I have an i5 3570k

with a GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM

It stayed at 70FPS - 90FPS most of the time,

only saw one point of it dropping to 59FPS.

1080p and FOV at 90

FXAA and Depth of Field off. Everything else at max.

1080ti

Running everything maxed except not using MSAA, running at a locked 60fps at 3440x1440 and running at around 100fps on my 1440p 144hz monitor.

Top Bottom