• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita western launch thread | It only does everything, everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
System is really awesome and seems to fit well with where we are currently in technology, Sony did a great job with this. I have to admit I haven't been super impressed with the screen like some of you have (I've only played Uncharted so far) but maybe I' spoiled with the Galaxy Nexus or I'm playing the wrong game.

There's some PSP UMD's I would love to play on this thing but buying them again is a tough pill.

What makes the pill even tougher is that Sony and some other publishers raised the prices of PSN PSP games in the past two weeks.

Ken

everyone should try welcome park before they play their games. I was really surprised at how well it was made.
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o482/xenosaga777/2012-02-17-132003.jpg[IMG]
It is welcome park.[/QUOTE]

Spent some time last night trying to get the trophies in Welcome Park. I don't think I'll ever be able to get the Digit Chase under a minute or the puzzle ones (I'm bad at those picture puzzles u.u). It is well made though.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/NobodyHome/bde08631.jpg

Forever stuck at 42%.

patsu

System is really awesome and seems to fit well with where we are currently in technology, Sony did a great job with this. I have to admit I haven't been super impressed with the screen like some of you have (I've only played Uncharted so far) but maybe I' spoiled with the Galaxy Nexus or I'm playing the wrong game.

I'm already thinking about my next project ! Like mounting Vita on a sentry gun platform to defend my vegetable garden against rodents, stray cats and birds.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welcome Park is pretty neat. Some things are hit or miss in terms of fun but the music maker has been silly and enjoyable. I got a mad tune going now with my sounds lol

GQman2121

Banned
I agree. I am almost considering settling for the case that looks like a grandmother's purse.
Right?!

She - the system - has a phat ass. There's no getting around it. But I don't need a case that zips or has pockets for shit I don't plan on carrying with me in the first place. Something that protects the console when I'm not using it (and ideally doesn't smell) and is compact enough to throw in a bag is all I need.

The slip-on PSP like case is the only thing that comes close to that, but I prefer the hard clam shell of the VIP.

raven777

Spent some time last night trying to get the trophies in Welcome Park. I don't think I'll ever be able to get the Digit Chase under a minute or the puzzle ones (I'm bad at those picture puzzles u.u). It is well made though.

bde08631.jpg

Forever stuck at 42%.

the puzzle one was tough. You need some luck, and I used the number panels to make it easy.

Playstation Lifestyle's Review of Escape Plan

http://*************************/2012/02/17/ps-vita-review-escape-plan/

8/10

Seems to be about 3 hours in length.

I lol'd at this

there are “weekly challenges” to be had, but at the moment there is only one: Finish the game dying 20 times or less combined between the two characters. Considering I died a total of 182 times combined during my first playthrough, that’s a challenge I’m not yet ready to face.

Weekly challenges is a nice way to extend the life.

Ken

So I can't read 300 pages. What is the general consensus on Vita here? I am itching to buy one next tuesday.

Great device that's worth the money if you're interested in any of the games on it. Minor annoyances here and there but nothing that would make it not worth buying.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So I can't read 300 pages. What is the general consensus on Vita here? I am itching to buy one next tuesday.

Lots of love, quality of the hardware is amazing. A bit of "launch goggles" on like with every system. The games are pretty good for a system launch but will be looked back on as average. Still everyone thats bought one early seems to be happy with there purchase. We will see in 6 months if its just a honeymoon or if its a lasting feeling.

raven777

I really dont like what UBI soft is doing with their demos, how their demo file size is same as the full game. I hope other companies don't copy this.

Lots of love, quality of the hardware is amazing. A bit of "laucnh googles" on like with every system. The games are pretty good for a system launch but will be looked back on as average. Still everyone thats bought one early seems to be happy with there purchase. We will see in 6 months if its just a honeymoon or if its a lasting feeling.

In 6 months I will have accumulated Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Sound Shapes and Resistance, I think I will be happy still. Plus I am sure there is a lot more to come, E3 will be interesting.

Slaylock

Right?!

She - the system - has a phat ass. There's no getting around it. But I don't need a case that zips or has pockets for shit I don't plan on carrying with me in the first place. Something that protects the console when I'm not using it (and ideally doesn't smell) and is compact enough to throw in a bag is all I need.

The slip-on PSP like case is the only thing that comes close to that, but I prefer the hard clam shell of the VIP.

How about this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073ESYZO/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

41WQNhUZBkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Capcom raised the price of Freedom Unite (LOL), and didn't discount Vita titles. Never change, Capcom!

So MHFU went up in price again? :| That sucks...I guess it's good I've got Gods Eater Burst to keep me busy for a while. And that Technika info is amazing. I definitely will import that one, ha.

- J - D -

1UP Escape Plan review:
http://www.1up.com/reviews/escape-plan-vita

He seems to like it but has gripes with the back touch

I don't think there's anything inherently inferior about the rear touch compared to the front touch screen. It's just a matter of not being able to see where we're prodding back there.

Maybe it's something we'll all get used to, or maybe not. I've put 4-5 hours into Little Deviants and I'm still terrible at that ball-rolling game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A few things to tide people over that are waiting for next week.

My first NEAR discovery/GIFT

2012-02-17-1405020vea5.jpg

Friends lists and their respective panels

2012-02-17-1406534ge9h.jpg

Love panels

The music player, yipee?

2012-02-17-140807e4ife.jpg

Group messaging

2012-02-17-1410087zc3p.jpg

Minor complaint, you can set it only to as low as 15 minutes intervals to receive messages. Otherwise you can refresh which is easy but I want the option to receive messages immediately.

PS Store DL list

2012-02-17-1411197sign.jpg

Random shot of my main screen/top bubble screen

2012-02-17-141331z8fh9.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I really dont like what UBI soft is doing with their demos, how their demo file size is same as the full game. I hope other companies don't copy this.

That happened on PS3 too, pretty sure it was that way with Wipeout. If you buy the game you just get an unlock key to unlock the demo.

Nice if you do end up buying the game so you don't have to download another huge file, but a waste of time and bandwidth to try the demo if you don't.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's fucked, since I switched credit cards it's been fucked. My friend spent over 3 hours on the phone between Visa and Sony trying to get something figured out and eventually gave up.
Had the same problem. The trick to it is to enter *everything* *exactly* like it's printed on your CC statement. Name, address, uppercase/lowercase all need to match 1:1 your printed statement. They have a very rigid validity check for some of the credit cards. The other option is to try a different card.

Karish

Fuck it, Amazon has forced my hand. I'm going 4gb for launch, will sell and buy a larger card in the future if need be. Really do not plan on going digital. I'm a very heavy Gamefly user.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
1UP Escape Plan review:

I actually love the back touch in that game.

Having played a bunch of Escape Plan, I actually think one of the closest comparisons I could make is to "The Neverhood". It has the same room by room progression that requires you to manipulate the environment in order to proceed. Both games also feature heavily stylized art direction (though The Neverhood is in a league of its own with amazing claymation work).

Escape Plan is definitely cool, though, and really looks great on the Vita screen as a result of the high contrast between white and black.

patsu

1UP Escape Plan review:

I'm at room 20+ in the game (I think ! Lost count somewhere). The control is sensitive and accurate, including the back touch. The "difficulty/challenge" is mostly due to external factors like uninterruptible animation (e.g., tapping on Lil while it falls down, or hiccup-and-propel-through-the-level probably won't register), or level design, or lack of explanation.

You should read the digital manual before starting the game. It gives a good overview of what you can do to Lil and Laarg. I got stuck at room 4 just because I didn't know you could distract the guard(s) by back-tapping the wall.

The game is like a combo of Cut-the-Rope plus "hand" Twister (the floor mat game). You will have to flip/turn the Vita, spread your fingers to handle multiple things. I don't find it offensive, but let's see if I grow to hate the game when I'm done. ^_^

For now, I kinda like the game.

Ikkarus

Good luck with getting it for launch day. Play are awful at getting hardware pre orders delivered for launch. I hope all you play customers do receive it on the day but just pre warning you.

Since when? I have always got mine on the launch date from Play. Don't get me wrong their delivery times are slow for normal items but pre-order's have always turned up either early or on-time for me. Still, it appears you have had a bad time with them.

I am just waiting for Sony to ring me about when I can expect my Vita prize, hoping it's early next week!

Lots of love, quality of the hardware is amazing. A bit of "launch goggles" on like with every system. The games are pretty good for a system launch but will be looked back on as average. Still everyone thats bought one early seems to be happy with there purchase. We will see in 6 months if its just a honeymoon or if its a lasting feeling.

Show me a launch thread on this forum where a fair number of people did not seem happy with their purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom