• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
when can I expect The Goat to release her vomit today
iblzMsYeaEs0fu.gif

Kyon

Banned
i thought it was tomorrow? lol

MADONNA TOUR SELLING THROUGH

Album Falters, But Ticket Sales Worldwide are Brisk

April 24, 2012

The Madonna tour is on track to be one of the top 10 tours of all time, according to Live Nation Global Touring Chairman Arthur Fogel.

That despite the fact Interscope's MDNA album, after debuting at #1 three weeks ago with nearly 360k in sales, almost half of them redemptions from ticket sales for the tour, has dipped precipitiously since then. Anyway, tours now promote album sales rather than the other way around.

Madonna's upcoming concert tour is the second under Live Nation's 10-year, $120 million, multi-rights deal with the Material Gal, the first being her "Sticky & Sweet" shows in 2008-'09, which grossed a reported $408 million, the third-highest of all time and best ever for a solo recording artist. The new series of shows gets underway May 29 in Tel Aviv, hitting the U.S. in Philadelphia Aug. 28.

At the moment, a total of 76 Madonna shows at arenas and stadiums are on sale in North America (43) and Europe (33). More than 1.4 million tickets have been sold, 600k in the U.S., banking about $214 million for an average of around $2.7 million per show at stadiums and arenas.

Fogel told billboard.biz: "This tour is completely on track to end up in the Top 10 tours of all time, especially considering we haven't put South America or Australia on sale. When this tour is said and done, combined with 'Sticky and Sweet,' you're talking $750 million in gross ticket sales."

According to Fogel, Madonna has sold 46,000 tickets in Istanbul, 44,000 in Milan, 39,000 in Florence; 42,000 in Edinburgh, 40,000 in Helsinki and 51,000 in Paris in addition to selling out two arenas in Barcelona, two in Berlin and two in Amsterdam.

"She's at the top of her game and she ain't goin' away," he concludes.

ec20fb7f.gif

Nemesis_

I didn't realise he was Australian. Or that he was gay.

I liked Black and Gold. I can't remember his old stuff, this new stuff seems like quite a different direction.

Will listen when the WEEKEND COMES

royalan

he used to be hot, not so much now imo (i think its the stache)

plus he's not really pop.

Roy you scrounging for scraps sis

Totes just saw this.

Sam Sparro is definitely Pop. "Wish I Never Met You" sounds like it could be a close cousin of Robyn's Body Talk production.

His vocals are very misleading. But I definitely would consider him Pop.

Nemesis_

I've never even HEARD OF HIM.

How could you have not heard it if you live here? Are you as old as Madonna??

It was EVERYWHERE ;_;

Everywhere you went it was playing SOMEWHERE.

fuBuA.gif

IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME

I still haven't listened to Body Talk either boys, I'm playing a lot of Robyn tracks though (as in, the album).

How could you have not heard it if you live here? Are you as old as Madonna??

It was EVERYWHERE ;_;

Everywhere you went it was playing SOMEWHERE.

fuBuA.gif

IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME

I still haven't listened to Body Talk either boys, I'm playing a lot of Robyn tracks though (as in, the album).

Yeah but they'll play ANY OLD SHIT they can get their HANDS ON in WESTERN AUSTRALIA.

royalan

In more news on Quality performers...

Looks like Mariah is still logging in those hours at HOTlanta's recording studios:

09T5l.jpg

She's been bunkered down with Jermaine Dupri and his crew for about two months now (I think?). Seems like she's taking her time and putting a lot of quality time into this era. The album is going to be fire.

And all this Jermaine Dupri means we're definitely getting more Urbanriah next album. ;)

Kyon

Banned
I agree with you sis :):):):):)

yay! :D

oh and:

>.> you still didnt comment on this sis

MADONNA TOUR SELLING THROUGH

Album Falters, But Ticket Sales Worldwide are Brisk

April 24, 2012

The Madonna tour is on track to be one of the top 10 tours of all time, according to Live Nation Global Touring Chairman Arthur Fogel.

That despite the fact Interscope's MDNA album, after debuting at #1 three weeks ago with nearly 360k in sales, almost half of them redemptions from ticket sales for the tour, has dipped precipitiously since then. Anyway, tours now promote album sales rather than the other way around.

Madonna's upcoming concert tour is the second under Live Nation's 10-year, $120 million, multi-rights deal with the Material Gal, the first being her "Sticky & Sweet" shows in 2008-'09, which grossed a reported $408 million, the third-highest of all time and best ever for a solo recording artist. The new series of shows gets underway May 29 in Tel Aviv, hitting the U.S. in Philadelphia Aug. 28.

At the moment, a total of 76 Madonna shows at arenas and stadiums are on sale in North America (43) and Europe (33). More than 1.4 million tickets have been sold, 600k in the U.S., banking about $214 million for an average of around $2.7 million per show at stadiums and arenas.

Fogel told billboard.biz: "This tour is completely on track to end up in the Top 10 tours of all time, especially considering we haven't put South America or Australia on sale. When this tour is said and done, combined with 'Sticky and Sweet,' you're talking $750 million in gross ticket sales."

According to Fogel, Madonna has sold 46,000 tickets in Istanbul, 44,000 in Milan, 39,000 in Florence; 42,000 in Edinburgh, 40,000 in Helsinki and 51,000 in Paris in addition to selling out two arenas in Barcelona, two in Berlin and two in Amsterdam.

"She's at the top of her game and she ain't goin' away," he concludes.

Kyon

Banned
And that's WITHOUT the second leg

ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

She better come to Orlando 2nd leg. I went on the Confessions and Sticky and Sweet LA your dates, i dont wanna miss this one, need to be consistent like these tour sales.

I'm ready for another Britney appearance too tbh

tumblr_m2isvm241c1rq17eko1_500.gif

Mumei

And all this Jermaine Dupri means we're definitely getting more Urbanriah next album. ;)

Which is funny because there had been talk / rumors about her doing stuff more like the first three albums. Then again, she worked with Dupri as early as Daydream and that's not exactly the most urban album around.

Personally I'd prefer some of both Popriah and Urbanriah, though.

Bladenic

Can't see why not, she's huge.

ibanTdegZrdj9t.gif

Oh I believe, it's just not many singers can pull two successful comebacks. Memoirs was a flop right?

Edit: Damn JUNE?! I mean Stronger is still slaying right now but it's slayage is getting close to its end, May would have made much more sense.

royalan

Which is funny because there had been talk / rumors about her doing stuff more like the first three albums. Then again, she worked with Dupri as early as Daydream and that's not exactly the most urban album around.

Personally I'd prefer some of both Popriah and Urbanriah, though.

Mumei

I was gonna PM this to you, but I figured it would be appropriate for the thread.

So I was out at a bar with an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while. (same bar that the Mariah stan war occurred in weeks ago). Studied voice at Princeton, so he's real snobby about vocals (kinda like you ;) ). I was picking his brain about some current acts, and I asked him who was impressing him vocally in Pop music lately.

His response?

....Katy Perry

930AH.gif
<--was pretty much my reaction.

He didn't attempt to defend her lazy chest voice and belt range, which was what I took issue with. But he insisted - insisted - that she has the most beautiful and "correctly applied" head voice of any female currently in the industry. And the guy knows his shit, so I feel inclined to listen to her albums to see if I can hear what he's hearing. But...her music is just so terrible.

And later on in the conversation, when I was drunk enough to ask his opinion my fave Xtina's technique, his response reminded me of you:

"Well, her technique isn't nearly as bad as Adele's. All of her support comes from her throat..."

At which point some drunken queen listening in on our conversation chimed in with "OMG YES I LOVE HER BUT SHE'S DESTROYING HER VOICE!"

Two other guys joined in, and together we came to the conclusion that Adele's got 1 more album and a tour of singing the way she does before her vocals are cooked.

Made me think of you.

IzUUS.gif

Mumei

Okay, first, royalan, shut up talking and watch that Whitney Houston video. Cleanse thyself from Katy Perry.

He didn't attempt to defend her lazy chest voice and belt range, which was what I took issue with. But he insisted - insisted - that she has the most beautiful and "correctly applied" head voice of any female currently in the industry. And the guy knows his shit, so I feel inclined to listen to her albums to see if I can hear what he's hearing. But...her music is just so terrible.

... I didn't even know what her head voice sounds like until I just looked it up. I'm not seeing what's impressing him so much, though? Did you hear it? I was just looking up random range clips, and it sounds like pretty normal female falsetto, not even connected head voice.

I mean I'm not saying that it is bad, but comparing her airy falsetto (and without any apparent ability to sustain it or do anything with it) to Beyonce's connected and versatile head voice seems a bit... off to me. I mean compare Beyonce to Leona here and I honestly think Beyonce is better for most of it; she's got a fuller and more connected sound.

Do you agree with him? I mean I don't want to dismiss what he's saying out of hand since he should be far more qualified than I am (e.g., not at all), but I just don't get it.

"Well, her technique isn't nearly as bad as Adele's. All of her support comes from her throat..."

IzUUS.gif

We did talk about this! Girl's no Dusty Springfield, despite those lies she's been whispered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom