• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The game is called "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale"

KillGore

Am I the only one worried about how bad the PS3 controller is for this game?

what are you talking about? Playstation controller is one of the best for fighting games. If I could get used to playing with a nunchuck + wiimote or just the simple wiimote, this will be glorious.

After 40 minutes of Gametrailers talk, I'm still interested so that's a good thing. Looking forward to seeing more characters and stages. I just want more bright colors.

Or having the ability to be called kiddie on the internet because of online play.

Oh, in the other thread, I completely blamed Nintendo for encouraging clones like this game. It's their own fault. If they're not going fill the niche of having Smash Bros with online, someone is going to do it for them.

And yes, obviously the Playstation platform has a million games on it. I was responding specifically to one poster that said this was a Smash Bros. game he'd want to play. Which makes no sense unless all you care about is the coat of paint.

CrisKre

The people that have actually played it are saying that it's certainly inspired by Smash but it feels quite different.

Really now? I watched the videos. Will you seriously tell me this looks different? "inspired" seems too inadequate a term to describe his rip-off.

So it's a blatant and shameless clone of Smash Bros in both concept and execution, what's the big deal? So far it looks quite good, despite the somewhat uninspiring cast list. Of course it's the third party characters that will draw the most attention, so that's not really a problem either.

Wonder what it's chances for a Vita port are...?

It's kind of cool, but I think it's a little corny.

I'm not saying Sony has done this, but this game is the type of game that feels like it's jumping the shark. It should've come out earlier in the PS3's life than it would've worked better (and would've sold much more). The timing is a little odd.

Still could be fun, which is what matters.

CrisKre

Oh, in the other thread, I completely blamed Nintendo for encouraging clones like this game. It's their own fault. If they're not going fill the niche of having Smash Bros with online, someone is going to do it for them.

So this is nintendo's fault too? Why dont we blame nintendo for climate change and world hunger while we are at it. yeesh.

Ravage

yeah Parappa and Sweet Tooth are so deep.........and everyone care about Fat princess

3rd party characters will be included and i'm expecting at least one entry from the FF franchise in the final roster. Old Snake is another obvious choice.

And yes i definitely care more about Sweet Tooth and Parappa than Mario or some kid with wings. What's your point again?

So this is nintendo's fault too? Why dont we blame nintendo for climate change and world hunger while we are at it. yeesh.

Because they had nothing to do with climate change, obviously, despite their poor Greenpeace ratings.

It's not entirely their fault. It's supply and demand. They had the original game, and if they would've provided a sufficient online system for Brawl, less people would be asking for a Smash Bros. clone just so they can play Smash online. That's the demand. Then Sony hired some uncreative code monkeys to make this thing. That's the supply.

Now, you obviously have posters who don't care about that and just want to play as a Gran Turismo car in a fighting game. But Nintendo needs to be filling these niches or someone else will come along.

guek

Banned
haven't you people reading impressions from journalist.it looks same but core gameplay is quite different !

Read impressions !

Watching the GT overview right now, and honestly, the core gameplay sounds much worse.

But ya know what, I know people don't want to hear any criticism about this game. And that's fine, because hey, this should be a hype thread for people who are anticipating it, and seeing as how I've already made up my mind that I'm not interested in the game, I really have no place in this thread. So I bid you all adieu and I hope you all enjoy the game when it comes out!

Why would it be bad? The PS controller has always been very good for fighters, and they give you the option to play with the DPad or the analog to control your character.

what are you talking about? Playstation controller is one of the best for fighting games. If I could get used to playing with a nunchuck + wiimote or just the simple wiimote, this will be glorious.

I mean the quality of the controller, not it's button placement.

I have 4 controllers and the analog sticks have quickly wore out and 2 are really close to breaking and snapping in half. I'd imagine playing this game would be really rough on the controller.

I don't have this problem with the X360 or Wii controller.

Only thing that's seriously bothering me is the mixing of different franchises for each stage. Just seems to cheapen the effect when you see something like Sandover Village from a decade ago populated with kinda generic Hot Shots Golf characters.

Considering Smash 4 is probably several years away, people seeing this as a carbon copy is probably going to work in its favor. Personally hoping for Sir Daniel Fortesque because Medievil is the only playstation game I played tons of as a kid
besides Crash and Spyro which are shithouse now

It's kind of depressing that this sort of thing would never work for Microsoft. MASTER CHEIF AND MARCUS FENIX VERSUS AN XBOX AVATAR AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF RARE CHARACTERS YOU WILL NEVER SEE OUTSIDE OF THIS GAME AGAIN

CrisKre

Because they had nothing to do with climate change, obviously, despite their poor Greenpeace ratings.

It's not entirely their fault. It's supply and demand. They had the original game, and if they would've provided a sufficient online system for Brawl, less people would be asking for a Smash Bros. clone just so they can play Smash online. That's the demand. Then Sony hired some uncreative code monkeys to make this thing. That's the supply.

Now, you obviously have posters who don't care about that and just want to play as a Gran Turismo car in a fighting game. But Nintendo needs to be filling these niches or someone else will come along.
Sorry. No.
SB series sells millions. Sony wants to duplicate its success on their platform. Nothing more, nothing less. Hence the clone.

Saying this is a result of nintendo doing something wrong other than right is laughable.

And also, take a look at the phisics. The stages. They did switch some of the design as far as how the matches are played, but this is just short of being a blatant ripoff. Its fine. Im sure its fun, its based on smash brothers after all, but lets call it what it is.

Glass Rebel

It's kind of depressing that this sort of thing would never work for Microsoft. MASTER CHEIF AND MARCUS FENIX VERSUS AN XBOX AVATAR AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF RARE CHARACTERS YOU WILL NEVER SEE OUTSIDE OF THIS GAME AGAIN

clippy.jpg

this bad ass motherfucker would be god tier

I mean the quality of the controller, not it's button placement.

I have 4 controllers and the analog sticks have quickly wore out and 2 are really close to breaking and snapping in half. I'd imagine playing this game would be really rough on the controller.

I don't have this problem with the X360 or Wii controller.

It depends on how you use them I guess, I know I wore out a bunch of controllers with the first couple mario party games but those required constant stress on the analogs for some of the mini games. Its hard to tell how bad this would be without actually playing it as if the sensitivity is good enough to not have to always be moving the stick all the way to the sides it should be fine.

Kyon

Banned
From the Eurogamer article. For the people saying the devs don't acknowledge Smash and the genre.

"We're taking the best of what the genre has delivered over its storied history and we're adding our take on it as well," Kendall adds. "We're proud to exist in the same space as these games. We don't mind [the comparisons] at all - our game has a very unique and interesting gameplay feel to it."

Such class.
iboTEoMucK1uUq.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Watching the GT overview right now, and honestly, the core gameplay sounds much worse.
I agree. Hearing about the concept of how to score in this game it doesn't sound like much fun.

All one can say at this point is that the game apparently seems to be fun or at least that's what the impression say. But it's a preview event and chances are the enthusiast press is not going to be super negative about the game at the unveiling.

Maybe in a week on podcasts you will hear some negativity and the reservations that each individual feels towards it.

But what always gets pointed out to someone being very negative about this: I have not played it. They have.
So what do I know?

The game might be a smash ripoff but it simply just doesnt have the star power...no where close to smash..Will sell decently for sony but not close to smash's success.

Fezan

But ya know what, I know people don't want to hear any criticism about this game. And that's fine, because hey, this should be a hype thread for people who are anticipating it, and seeing as how I've already made up my mind that I'm not interested in the game, I really have no place in this thread. So I bid you all adieu and I hope you all enjoy the game when it comes out!

criticism is really welcomed by some but it should have some basis.not pointing toward you but if someone is crticising about washed out colors he is right.also some stages dont mash up that well.but saying LOL smah bro copy shame on you sony is not criticism.

Can't wait for wipeout stage.

Glad gameplay is different, shame the visuals scream smash.

Just play the brawl theme over game play video.

Your brain will fart for a good second. Funky.

Sorry. No.
SB series sells millions. Sony wants to duplicate its success on their platform. Nothing more, nothing less. Hence the clone.

Saying this is a result of nintendo doing something wrong other than right is laughable.

And also, take a look at the phisics. The stages. They did switch some of the design as far as how the matches are played, but this is just short of being a blatant ripoff. Its fine. Im sure its fun, its based on smash brothers after all, but lets call it what it is.

When did I say it wasn't a rip-off? It obviously is. Although I appreciate being attacked by both sides, it makes me feel fair and balanced.

Sony probably would've made this game anyway, but Nintendo does a lot of self-sabotaging by creating demand for a "similar but better" product. Not that this will be "better," but it'll sure satisfy some customers urges for things like online or looking good on a plasma.

Loudninja

I agree. Hearing about the concept of how to score in this game it doesn't sound like much fun.

All one can say at this point is that the game apparently seems to be fun or at least that's what the impression say. But it's a preview event and chances are the enthusiast press is not going to be super negative about the game at the unveiling.

Maybe in a week on podcasts you will hear some negative aspects of the game.

But what always gets pointed out to someone being very negative about this: I have not played it. They have.
So what do I know?
So they are just playing niceto hide all their deep dark hated of the game.

Maxrunner

That was spoken half in jest and with the other half reserved to rile up hardcore Nintendo fanboys (i.e. those who are irrationally angered by this reveal).

Please....look at the damn screens even the freaking hud is identical. But this is hardly surprising...they got away with the Move so why not trying this.....thank Nintendo is not Apple lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom