• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Direct - January 18th, 4PM CST (Japan confirmed, FE Mobile unveiling)

enkaisu

Banned
Really hoping for a new mainline game announcement. I have no interest in the Warriors spinoff, but the mobile game could be potentially neat.

Almost got FE: Fates on 3DS, but intentionally held off knowing the NX was coming in 2017. Still waiting for an announcement that makes me buy into the Fire Emblem series. I've never tried it before, outside of playing as some of the characters in Smash Bros Melee and Wii U.

I'm liking the idea of a new Direct so soon after the Switch info dump this weekend. I'm hopeful it's a sign that Nintendo is planning to do more Directs like this in the lead up to March 3rd.

Switch Virtual Console Direct
Smash Bros. Direct
Switch Features Direct

They dumped a *lot* of info between Friday and Saturday, but there is still a lot that they have yet to touch on. For me, the biggest obvious void as far as details go is:

On March 3rd when we pick up our Switch and go to the eShop for the first time, "What is going to be there for us to buy, other than digital versions of Switch launch titles?"

As far as I can tell, there is *nothing* out there about anything related to Switch eShop, Virtual Console, system features, UI walkthroughs, non-gaming apps, etc.

Zedark

I'm liking the idea of a new Direct so soon after the Switch info dump this weekend. I'm hopeful it's a sign that Nintendo is planning to do more Directs like this in the lead up to March 3rd.

Switch Virtual Console Direct
Smash Bros. Direct
Switch Features Direct

etc.

That would definitely be nice, I believe we should get more info on VC, so I expect one for that at least.
I hope it's gonna be censored in some way. Reading the salty comments on FE: Fates was more entertaining than the game itself.
image.php

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Why on earth would you hope for censorship?!

He already said. He's a troll and likes the schadenfreude when other people are upset.

That said, I'm of the belief that censorship was necessary with Fire Emblem Fates; they just should have started with the Japanese version from the beginning. The weird dating sim elements were completely at odds with the rest of the game and constantly clashed with everything else you were doing. Inviting the dog boy over for a threesome with you and your adopted sister was just not something that ever needed to happen in a Fire Emblem game.

Are they going to talk about the mobile game?

That's a strong possibility, but at this point we have no way of knowing one way or the other.

If Nintendo's goal is for a FE mobile title to come before a Switch FE title, in order to drive interest toward a Switch installment, then this would be a good opportunity to announce something like that.

But for all we know, a FE mobile game has been canceled. Who knows. It's all so fluid.

TreIII

TBH, I'd take an FE Lite for mobile, or even something cross-genre, if it's fun enough.

An adaptation of the Cipher card game for mobile would be something I could see, if IntSys was interested in getting in on that Hearthstone and Yugioh crowd.

If nothing else, a card game wouldn't take nearly as much resources as making a full-fledged FE game for mobile, nor would it step on the toes of any upcoming 3DS or Switch efforts.

He already said. He's a troll and likes the schadenfreude when other people are upset.

In that case, kind of. Come on, people reactions were insane. Remeber the shitshow with members of nintendo Treehouse? But, yeah, that was a troll. I don't actualy "hope" for it to be censored. I

Although I'd be happy if they toned done on the waifu side of the last games.

duckroll

I'll be more likely to play the FE Mobile game if it's a card game than if it's a real strategy game. I like the artwork in the series. I like card games. I like good music. I want fast games on my phone with nice UIs and quick execution. Unless they design it like Terra Battle, then I'm okay with that too!

I'll be more likely to play the FE Mobile game if it's a card game than if it's a real strategy game. I like the artwork in the series. I like card games. I like good music. I want fast games on my phone with nice UIs and quick execution. Unless they design it like Terra Battle, then I'm okay with that too!

Well they already have a card game in Japan, they could just re-use the art and make a mobile card game with it.

1ed187eaaf3f6424b546dba2c40b934a.jpg

CCTgjc2UMAIuEOI.png

tumblr_nmd48yqDYW1qzp9weo8_1280.jpg

L95

The art's gotten a bit better than those series 1 cards. And thankfully Tharja hasn't shown up much and we even got a FE4 set, with another FE4 set incoming soon... (...well, half a set, the sets tend to be half one thing half the other)

The fact that said FE4 set has a panorama pair of cards for the Sigurd BBQ is great

Fire Emblem Awakening 1.5 for Switch

- HD
- New characters and stages
- Whole new ending where you go on a quest to revive Emmeryn

I just want her back D:

Draxal

I assume its going to be a granblue ish clone tbh. Cipher would be awful for mobile, as everybody would be running Hoshido F corrin Decks with Nino and Deidre splash.

The art's gotten a bit better than those series 1 cards. And thankfully Tharja hasn't shown up much and we even got a FE4 set, with another FE4 set incoming soon... (...well, half a set, the sets tend to be half one thing half the other)

The fact that said FE4 set has a panorama pair of cards for the Sigurd BBQ is great

Series 1 has HACCAN which is still the best cipher artist (along with Fuzichoco); I"m still grumpy that he hasn't done any cipher art since Oliver.

CazTGG

what's wrong with tharja?

She's a creepy stalker who puts curses on people, is implied to have abused her daughter to the point where she develops a split personality due to the constant use of said curses and has little appeal as a character given how little they flesh her out in some of Awakening's least interesting support conversations. Also: She's not a very good dark mage compared to Henry (who isn't much better as a character but I digress). How she became a fan favorite is beyond me.

Lyn, Titania and Eirika are among the best women characters that come to mind at the moment, with Titania in particular sticking out for her fantastic armor design:

latest

duckroll

Am I really the only one who believes they could announce a 3DS FE this week? It's been two years since they announced FE Fates. Seems about right in terms of dev cycle?

Busaiku

Am I really the only one who believes they could announce a 3DS FE this week? It's been two years since they announced FE Fates. Seems about right in terms of dev cycle?

It was 3 years between Awakening and Fates.
Not impossible, but I don't see it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Titania is the best character in any game period

Or at least best FE character

vaporeon

I think there's a possibility, but boy am I afraid of all these entries burning people out on the series.

Will there be face rubbing?
D̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶'̶s̶ Localizer's Cut Edition

Draxal

Started Fates in late 2012, released mid 2015 (and even then it was rushed a bit with the third campaign not being ready for release), supervising Mobile, and already working on the Switch game imho.

TreIII

Not at all. If the 3DS is going to have a lifespan that will see support well into 2018, then it just makes all the more sense that IntSys may find a way to pump one last game out of the 3DS FE engine they made.

They're going to likely need at least 2-3 more years before they can produce a game that'll truly be "Switch ready". One last 3DS game would certainly give them that time.

Josephl64

I recognize the possibility, but I can also see them transferring it to Switch.

Strings

It'd have to be a Switch game? IS usually gets in super early on every Nintendo console. Dunno if they'd let the Project STEAM team work on FE, but whatever they're working on should be next.

It was 3 years between Awakening and Fates.
Not impossible, but I don't see it.

While it reused a ton of assets, Fates was pretty fucking huge. Iunno, a Shadow Dragon (or preferably FE12) style remake is a pretty good call though.

Top Bottom