• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Paper Mario Wii U in development (Intelligent Systems)

I really hope this isn't true. I have no interest in this game at all. Even if Project Steam didn't suck, which it did, I would still have no interest in this game. I played Paper Mario before, but I just don't see the appeal of it. Obviously, a lot of people love the series, but to me, they seems like games made for children. And I haven't been one of those in a very long time.

Gatzor

Banned
with clay kirby and yarn yoshi I was kinda expecting this....wouldn't be shocked and would be very pleased. Was a big fan of thousand year door as a mini person

jonno394

I really hope this isn't true. I have no interest in this game at all. Even if Project Steam didn't suck, which it did, I would still have no interest in this game. I played Paper Mario before, but I just don't see the appeal of it. Obviously, a lot of people love the series, but to me, they seems like games made for children. And I haven't been one of those in a very long time.

So what would you rather have the paper mario team do then?

I was wishing for a Paper Mario game on Wii U, and I really wish this is true.

Please let it close to either the original or Thousand Year Door. I just want to use the Hammer by flicking the control stick again.

Teknoman

Which Paper Mario did you play?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I understand why people loathe Sticker Star but for me it was a fun but flawed experiment.

It's definitely time for a real Paper Mario 3, though.

There is a way to say what you meant without sounding like an asshole I think.

Can't have a Paper Mario thread without Sticker Star and, to a lesser extent, Super Paper Mario bashing... Alright already, we get it. We don't need every other post repeating the same goddamn thing. Why can't we just talk about the rumor at hand.
I really like Sticker Star, sue me

Speaking of the rumor, it actually sounds more plausible than usual, mostly because of the scenario. I know if I were trying to come up with a fake rumor, I'd try to make my evidence and the way I came across it sound convincing. But the complete lack of evidence here and the non-standard scenario surrounding the rumor (casual mention at an employee expo) ironically make it more believable.

Shojx

Thankfully they aren't creating games just to appeal to you, so if it ends up happening, you simply don't have to play it. Everyone wins!

I'm actually interested in the possible relevance between Steam "sucking" and your interest in a new Paper Mario. Are you suggesting that Intelligent Systems should stop making games that aren't Fire Emblem?

Codename STEAM is brilliant, even more so after the speed update. Being too difficult for you doesn't mean it sucks.

Yuterald

I have never played PM before, which ones should I play, which ones should I skip?

I feel like they're all worth playing and each game has its positives/negatives. I think it's best to start with the original, however (now on Wii U's eShop if you don't have an N64 or an original Wii). The consensus amongst fans seems to consider The Thousand Year Door (GC) to be the best in the series, but I'd suggest tossing in Sticker Star or Super Paper Mario maybe in between the original and TTYD (if you're looking to play them back-to-back) as they don't quite follow the formula that the first two games created.

JRBechard

Waiting Patiently....
jhtdqbmlxf3ic0duwkji.gif

Where does this GIF come from? Is it a re-texturing of the original?

If you think children will 'get' all of the dialog and references in PM games then you've clearly never spent much time with either.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Boy, this would be great news if true. I'm currently balls deep in my first playthrough of Thousand Year Door since the first time I beat it ten years ago, and it still holds up amazingly well to this day.

Drago

I have never played PM before, which ones should I play, which ones should I skip?
The first three are all worth playing. I recommend playing SPM before the first two though since it's so different from the original games. That way you can avoid any disappointment of it not being in that same mold and enjoy it for what it is. Definitely play the originals afterwards, PM64 was just released on WiiU VC too.

You can skip Sticker Star. Maybe give it a try if you ever find it for $5-10, but otherwise I would avoid it.

Pokemaniac

The first three are all varying levels of good, and are all worth playing. Definitely skip Sticker Star, though. Sticker Star ends up with this really bad combo of battles often being kinda pointless and bosses and puzzles having super annoying and tedious trial and error.

Vuapol

Oh, hell yeah! Super Paper Mario haters gonna hate, it was a quality title. Not as good as the first two, but it still had the Paper Mario spirit, just in platformer form.

That said, please god let this be a true Paper Mario RPG, with party partners, and a quality plot. Please please please please it's been 11 years Nintendo please please please.

eXistor

Sticker Star was really fucking good (I'm serious btw, I genuinely think the game went over many people's heads), but even I would prefer a traditional Paper Mario game at this point.

AniHawk

Sticker Star was really fucking good (I'm serious btw, I genuinely think the game went over many people's heads), but even I would prefer a traditional Paper Mario game at this point.

sticker star was a lot of fun. people came at it expecting a jrpg though and it was more of an action-adventure game with a turn-based battle system.

I honestly think it's up there with the best the 3DS has to offer. It's a shame about the lack of story, but everything else was great.

I honestly think it's up there with the best the 3DS has to offer. It's a shame about the lack of story, but everything else was great.
It is not a bad game, but a bad Paper Mario game.
What makes the old games is unique characters, humor, and interactions. Sticker Star had none.

It is like Nuts and Bolts.

The Boat

I would love if they went all in with the paper aesthetic and use more paper-like textures, lots of different types of papers and whatnot.

Top Bottom