• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway Unfolded |OT|

Anyone else having a problem with this game in sleep mode? Whenever I put my PS4 in sleep mode while this game is suspended and try turning on the console, my PS4 never displays the video and the blue light just keeps flashing until I unplug the console. It has happened twice now and only with this game.

For those who already played the game, does it feel like an upgraded Vita version or does it have enough new stuff there (specially story-wise) to make it feel unique?

From the very start it feels unique enough to stand apart from the Vita version. It's the way the DS4 is being implemented that necessitates a different way of opening the game. It's already got a plethora of new things going for it and I only played for an hour or so.

I can see why this took them some time to put out; it's not just a simple port. Not by a long shot.

I don't want to speak too soon, but speaking from both a technical and content standpoint, this could easily be the best remaster on the PS4. Yes, even better than TLOU (solely due to the technical issues of that port). It's like they tore it down and rebuild it while adding stuff with the PS4 in mind.

Pibemanden

Neo Member
I just downloaded the demo, however the localized VA is really terrible. Is it possible to change it to the english version somehow (EU psn).

I'm not keen on the art style, and the delivery of the narrators was an immense turn-off. I'll admit I only played it for about 20 minutes or so but I got bored of shining light on things to progress. I looked at some footage of later levels and they didn't seem particularly interesting. I understand that it was made as a Vita vehicle and that it's bound to lose some of its appeal when moving to a format which lacks its features, but I was disappointed all the same.

20 minutes is not enough time with this one. You start doing much different things as you progress.

You are basically at the very, very, very beginning and can't even jump yet.

20 minutes is not enough time with this one. You start doing much different things as you progress.

I mean, if they don't even like the art style, I don't see how having more control over Atoi is going to do it for them. I agree that people ought to give this game more than a cursory glance, but there are some things you probably are going to have to really dig about Tearaway if you are going to endeavor to put more time into it, and I think its art style is one of the big ones.

I'm not keen on the art style

This game is all about the artstyle, unless you love it then there's not that much point.
Haven't played the ps4 version but finished the vita one, and unless they added more than twice the amount of platforming i sadly would't recommend it.
It might be one the most beautiful games ever made(depending on taste) but i found the platforming to be lacking.

This game is all about the artstyle, unless you love it then there's not that much point.

......wat. How bout gameplay?

I didn't like the artstyle before I first played the Vita version either, but I grew to appreciate when I got into it.

To Neff, I'd say at least complete the demo. I remember having your exact same view on things. The beginning starts off slow, but by the end of the demo, I started to see the potential in the game. When I ended up getting the full version much later, I loved it. I'm still not really a big fan of the narrators though but the game is charming and fun.

Jeels

Gaf please help me out. I have some sort of glitch where this bridge isn't generating. Anyone else have this problem?

b49f372a42b5361d69600ec28ba118663c6000a3.jpg

To be clear this is in Wassail Orchard. And all the videos show this bridge connecting to more platforms but I just have emptiness. I'm pretty much stuck and its ruining my night :(

RiverKwai

Gaf please help me out. I have some sort of glitch where this bridge isn't generating. Anyone else have this problem?

b49f372a42b5361d69600ec28ba118663c6000a3.jpg

To be clear this is in Wassail Orchard. And all the videos show this bridge connecting to more platforms but I just have emptiness. I'm pretty much stuck and its ruining my night :(

I don't want to start out with the most obvious question, but is it one of the bridges that requires you to put an apple in the wassailing pot thing to generate?

......wat. How bout gameplay?

I just wanted more interesting platforming, the art style is one of the best i have ever seen but i felt the gameplay was slightly lacking.
Maybe they added lot's of new platforming sections to the ps4 version, i really hope so as i would love a sequel where the developers can spend all their time on the gameplay instead of focusing on the visuals as they have that nailed down perfectly already.

Jeels

Here's another example...missing the place where the squirrel is trapped in the first area. Nothing is there so I can't proceed...

9f21fd3a874a10e276ac021272420e081deb3567.jpg

Anyone else having a problem with this game in sleep mode? Whenever I put my PS4 in sleep mode while this game is suspended and try turning on the console, my PS4 never displays the video and the blue light just keeps flashing until I unplug the console. It has happened twice now and only with this game.
Anyone else having this?

This has been happening with the last two firmware updates. For me it arises especially when swapping discs before selecting a user with my DS4 on startup from sleep mode (which incidentally also causes a disc read error), but it seems to be possible to happen any time when starting from sleep mode. I have no clue how many people are experiencing this, but you're not alone - there's a thread full of folks around here dealing with this - and there's no fix beyond turning the thing off completely and back on completely.

My daughter is going nuts playing this game atm. Only 4 but she is grabbing those little baby box things and tossing them into hoops and jumping around on the platforms and having a good time.

Now she wants to try and make some of these things with real paper lol. Pretty cool how you can look at the actual papercraft objects to make them in real life.

Ogawa-san

Talking about missing things, anyone managed to get all scraps on the first stage? I'm missing a whooping 12 of them. I've redone the stage four times and nothing.

Cmagus

My daughter is going nuts playing this game atm. Only 4 but she is grabbing those little baby box things and tossing them into hoops and jumping around on the platforms and having a good time.

Now she wants to try and make some of these things with real paper lol. Pretty cool how you can look at the actual papercraft objects to make them in real life.

The Tearaway site is cool and the fact they give you the paper craft plans is also really neat. The game has a great charm to it and wait till your daughter gets to throw squirrels into the controller and shake them around.

I'm still blown away by how good this game looks and the wind ability is pretty awesome the amount of stuff flying around it's pretty crazy looking.

I'm not keen on the art style, and the delivery of the narrators was an immense turn-off. I'll admit I only played it for about 20 minutes or so but I got bored of shining light on things to progress. I looked at some footage of later levels and they didn't seem particularly interesting. I understand that it was made as a Vita vehicle and that it's bound to lose some of its appeal when moving to a format which lacks its features, but I was disappointed all the same.

The levels get more complex as you move on. The thing is when they introduce a new mechanic they can drag on the "tutorial" type stuff but when it all comes together later on it plays really well. It might not be able to do some of the things the vita version had but they more than made up for it with this version imo.

I just wanted more interesting platforming, the art style is one of the best i have ever seen but i felt the gameplay was slightly lacking.
Maybe they added lot's of new platforming sections to the ps4 version, i really hope so as i would love a sequel where the developers can spend all their time on the gameplay instead of focusing on the visuals as they have that nailed down perfectly already.

I didn't feel like the platforming was bad at all. What was there was a lot of fun.

I only feel like the Vita version ended before things could really ramp up. (things did ramp up, but not enough) It didn't seem like the platforming was properly paced for such a short experience. I'm trying not to blame things solely on the fact that the game is short. I'm saying that the vast majority of the game platforming wise felt like it was building up at a pace fitting for a 12 hour game. Basically it's like if Super Mario 3D World ended at world 5 or something.

That's my complaint in regards to the gameplay, but it was still damn fun regardless.

Elixist

its cool that even if you get the disc you can continue your save from the demo. im lovin all the little touches in the way everything reacts to you. DIS GAME PRETTY *face melts off*

Could only get a couple of hours in today but I have to say this game is absolutely fantastic. I'm truly blown away by how good the IQ is in this game. Whatever they're doing for their anti aliasing solution is amazing, I hope it gets put to use in their next game (although I suspect it's also because the game is pretty low-powered, but still).

REALLY looking forward to sinking my teeth into this during the weekend!

Oneself

This game starts slow but once you gain enough "powers" it really starts to shine.
Best use of the Dual Shock 4 by far and probably the best "remaster" I've seen.

Platy

Yeah they've been pushing her instead of Iota for the remake which I'm fine with. Both are adorable AF so it really doesn't matter.

Makes me think that the thread title should be "Tearaway Unfolded |OT| Super Atoi 64" to rhyme with the vita game's OT

batbeg

Had to buy this after playing through the demo yesterday. My friend just sat in awe as I played through this wacky beautiful world.

I don't want to speak too soon, but speaking from both a technical and content standpoint, this could easily be the best remaster on the PS4. Yes, even better than TLOU (solely due to the technical issues of that port). It's like they tore it down and rebuild it while adding stuff with the PS4 in mind.

Always seems silly to quibble but if this is not a full scale remake, not sure what is. The games at least 50% new content and most of the old has been reworked. Add in an increase in environmental complexity and a whole new plot, and you've got essentially a new game.

Bravo MM and tarsier

depward

Loved the game to death on the Vita.

Played the demo and was like eeeehhhhh on PS4. Didn't like the controller light shining thing at ALL.

Is this something that is constant through the game?

I also despise open-world games. I know this isn't like a true open-world game... but is it more open than the Vita one?

Loved the game to death on the Vita.

Played the demo and was like eeeehhhhh on PS4. Didn't like the controller light shining thing at ALL.

Is this something that is constant through the game?

I also despise open-world games. I know this isn't like a true open-world game... but is it more open than the Vita one?

Most of the latter half of the demo really had no light shining parts. It is used often early on but less later. Really use it later just to turn the newspaper sections into the Colored paper.

Neff

Yeah, this seems like a bad idea to me. Drip-feed ability dispensing from the outset may not be the best way to go about an action 3D platformer. I may be on the wrong track comparing it to Super Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie as others have, as Tearaway seems to be a different kind of game, but with those old games you were able to immediately enjoy a comprehensive, fun action toolset, and 20 minutes with either title was enough to get a sense for the basic gameplay, goals, and structure. Tearaway wants to hide all that behind a lot of slow, awkward talking and forced 'charm', and it's an approach I found frustrating and dull.

Shin-Ra

There's a good interview with Rex Crowle here.

Q: What’s the most important thing, to you, about a game’s art and design? How’d that translate to Tearaway and Tearaway Unfolded?

Rex Crowle: I think really being cohesive and treating the game not as a collection of assets, but as a believable scene. Sometimes when I’m playing games I get a little bit frustrated that I’m looking at a lot of beautiful elements, but I don’t feel that they’ve all come together as a whole – I’m looking at a lot of noise on-screen, and there’s a bit too much of a push on the tech side to just show off.

If you were watching an animated film, you’ve often got the characters in front and quite a simple background. It’s hard with games to not just succumb to the temptation of just adding more and more. I think an important part of the creative process is to remove things and strip things back to make sure that it reads well. Particularly if you’re making a 3D world – it needs to be something you can navigate through, so you need good visual signposting and to treat the world as a moving composition that is guiding the player through it.

PaulloDEC

I just wandered into one of the new areas in Unfolded (
St Swithin's Moor
), and it's bloody huge! It's becoming more a case of finding bits I remember amongst huge swathes that I don't with this game (rather than the other way around).

Is it worth getting again if you have the Vita version?

I've not played much so far, but if you're a fan of the original I'd say definitely yes. There's heaps of new stuff to see and do from what I've played.

aristotle

I can't find this answer anywhere really.

Is the crafted edition only on preorders, or is it first run copies as well? Every store (amazon, BB, newegg) shows the image for Crafted edition but it was only supposed to be preorders.

Hopey

The gamebreaking bug I ran into doesnt seem to have a solution, I tried everything I could think of, but rolling into the hole leads me to my death.

Ricky_R

From the very start it feels unique enough to stand apart from the Vita version. It's the way the DS4 is being implemented that necessitates a different way of opening the game. It's already got a plethora of new things going for it and I only played for an hour or so.

I can see why this took them some time to put out; it's not just a simple port. Not by a long shot.

Thanks. Is the story the same as the Vita version though, or did they change it a bit.

ryseing

I can't find this answer anywhere really.

Is the crafted edition only on preorders, or is it first run copies as well? Every store (amazon, BB, newegg) shows the image for Crafted edition but it was only supposed to be preorders.

First run copies. Code's in the box.

Top Bottom