• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Laws00

How do you like them?
Once I re-adjusted myself to the limits of the infrared technology, I found those controllers to feel better than the original ones pretty much in every respect.

Me personally I found no difference in them. The only thing I like about them more is that they're more meaty then the original which feel small and look smaller in hands.

Galdelico

Exactly. That alone, to me, was a pretty major improvement, in terms of overall experience.

When I got back to the Mega Drive after such a long time, I found the controller to be the only slight letdown. Its super short cord, the tiny size and flimsy feel in my hands (I'm taking about the Japanese model, here. No idea if the controller was different in the US/Europe)... This wireless model fixed pretty much everything, for me. With the added weight of the batteries, it almost feels like a Saturn pad.
It hasn't been cheap to get a full set (controller + receiver and controller only, both CIB) from Japan, but absolutely worthy.

I just happened to read the Zero Tolerance wiki page and it brought back so many memories. link cable, the music, why did i sell the damn game? Great to hear that the owner of the game has put it out as a free download along with the cancelled sequel. i remember staring at the map, and using the guy w/ the bio scanner, which was a terrible way to play the game, because the map covered more distance than your own vision, so i would basically ignore everything else on the screen and only pay attention to the minimap. such good times. Anyone else have any fond memories of this game? i know it's dirt cheap on ebay now, but wow. why did i sell my copy and link cable. ugh.

can we make it a club pick for one of the months in 2017 and see if anyone else is interested in playing it?

AmyS

Caliber Fifty / Cal 50. / Caliber 50

- Arcade and Genesis articles, pre/reviews, advert, arcade flyers, boxarts and long plays.

7im4w9S.jpg

hBRFRVR.jpg

fNvM0yX.jpg

hBHcVQ0.jpg

H50bvuI.jpg

Edit: Japanese version was not released.

Arcade longplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXLjvCkW1wM

MD / Genesis longplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGNOPfM9VSY

Galdelico

You do realize the JP MD release you posted is a boot?

Judging by the photo, coming from a notorius eBayer that isn't new to selling bootlegs without stating it clearly, conveniently mixing them with legit stuff (actually, you helped me to spot a 'Japanese' Mega Drive Slam Masters bootleg, on their store, a while ago...).

Bar81

Happy to help.

Make no mistake though that there are people who buy this crap knowing that they're bootlegs.

I just don't get why people buy bootlegs when the everdrive exists - maybe the fully retarded natural extension of our collector mentality.

Please anyone determined to buy bootlegs at least buy them without the ebay markup. You can find the "best" Genny/MD bootlegs here:

http://www.game5ya.com/index.php?XTCsid=lmv54imamquh422ri45hqvpj81

Laws00

Happy to help.

Make no mistake though that there are people who buy this crap knowing that they're bootlegs.

I just don't get why people buy bootlegs when the everdrive exists - maybe the fully retarded natural extension of our collector mentality.

Please anyone determined to buy bootlegs at least buy them without the ebay markup. You can find the "best" Genny/MD bootlegs here:

http://www.game5ya.com/index.php?XTCsid=lmv54imamquh422ri45hqvpj81

Because people want tangible items and things to display.

I can see the appeal of these. Some of these games are rare and expensive as fuck. Others are import games that never made it here.

I take it someone just dumped a rom code or something into one of these carts, slapped a sticker on the cart and called it a game.

I personally would not buy them but that's just me. Why? Because I have an everdrive and buying game is cool and all but I just want to play games no show them off. That's at least with that era of games.

Bar81

Haha, yeah I just realized that this morning after doing a bit more research.

They are relatively well done so easy to think they're legit on first look.

Because people want tangible items and things to display.

I can see the appeal of these. Some of these games are rare and expensive as fuck. Others are import games that never made it here.

I take it someone just dumped a rom code or something into one of these carts, slapped a sticker on the cart and called it a game.

I personally would not buy them but that's just me. Why? Because I have an everdrive and buying game is cool and all but I just want to play games no show them off. That's at least with that era of games.

So retarded collector mentality then.

So retarded collector mentality then.

I know it's dumb but I like owning physical representations of the games I really enjoy. I'm not some complete set collector though and only have things that I really like and want to play, but don't know if that makes it any better. :c

Galdelico

I know it's dumb but I like owning physical representations of the games I really enjoy.
That's a completely honest curious kinda question, so don't take it bad, but only as food for thought/discussion. Do you like it even if you know it's literally a 'representation' - so, a bootleg/fake/repro - of the game you love, instead of the real thing?

Once in this territory, I'm one of those who start failing to see a difference, between that and just using an Everdrive (which is sort of 'physical' the same way, if you know what I mean).

That's a completely honest curious kinda question, so don't take it bad, but only as food for thought/discussion. Do you like it even if you know it's literally a 'representation' - so, a bootleg/fake/repro - of the game you love, instead of the real thing?

Once in this territory, I'm one of those who start failing to see a difference, between that and just using an Everdrive (which is sort of 'physical' the same way, if you know what I mean).

I don't think it makes a difference even though I have yet to (intentionally) buy any bootlegs/repros. I plan on it for some games I just never get around to it because I want something of good quality and there are so many options out there for them. Now this is only for games that don't have an "official" release in my region, or have a version that I would rather have, like Bare Knuckle 3. So yeah, to me it is just a physical representation of something that I enjoy. Very materialistic I guess.

Khaz

But do you have the same concern with people buying modern pocket editions of public domain books instead of downloading them for free on their Kindle? In either case they can't afford the original print.

Galdelico

Do you have the same issue with people buying pocket editions of public domain books instead of downloading them for free on their Kindle?

Nonono, please. Aside from the fact I don't really see the similarity, there, It's not even a case of having any 'issue' with anything. I'm just curious about what is the market of repros/bootlegs, in a scenario where Everdrive exists. That's all. I'm not tring to judge anyone, or say this is right/this is wrong.

Khaz

Nonono, please. Aside from the fact I don't really see the similarity, there, It's not even a case of having any 'issue' with anything. I'm just curious about what is the market of repros/bootlegs, in a scenario where Everdrive exists. That's all. I'm not tring to judge anyone, or say this is right/this is wrong.

You're right, wrong choice of words on my part. I'm not trying to be antagonistic.

The everdrive is super convenient to condense all your collection in a small object, and through downloading gives access to plenty of otherwise inaccessible work. Which is why I chose the Kindle as my analogy.

The collectors chasing original editions of games have kind of tainted our hobby, as there are plenty of other ways to access and enjoy ancient video games. I stand by my analogy, would you consider someone less of a reader or a collector if their library was full of pocket editions instead of original prints? Would you ask them why they buy these seemingly cheap editions instead of downloading them and putting them on an e-reader?

Specifically about ancient video games, some people like to populate their shelves with the games they have played, and like to have the opportunity to take the game from it, pull the cartridge out of its box and put it in the console to play it. Whether it's an original print or a crafted reproduction doesn't change anything. Choosing the game you want to play in an endless list in the everdrive is definitely not the same experience.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I bought repros of Wily Wars, Pulseman and Alien Soldier because they didn't get released here.

I wouldn't buy a repro of a game I could get here in the wild, even if it was a rare or expensive game.

That's my logic.

TeaJay

Back when I had my game collection I stopped buying Aliexpress repros because they had a slightly thicker connector which eventually destroyed one of my Megadrives' cart connectors trying to pull it out. It worried me every time to put one of those in.

Nowadays I use flashcarts. But I can understand having something tangible in your shelf, if it's a well made reproduction with box and everything. Hell, even if you still got original games, using a flashcart is convenient. But I totally understand anyone who wants to put that cart in their system physically, I used to be the same. But stuff happens and priorities change. To each their own, as long as you enjoy playing games.

I'm not going to tell anyone how to enjoy their retro games but if I wanted a game that was only released in Japan, I would either buy the Japanese version or play it on my everdrive. A repro is no different from a ROM on an Everdrive in my opinion. I won't judge anyone who thinks differently unless people start making repros that are indistinguishable from legit copies.

Noahd41

Neo Member
I'm not going to tell anyone how to enjoy their retro games but if I wanted a game that was only released in Japan, I would either buy the Japanese version or play it on my everdrive. A repro is no different from a ROM on an Everdrive in my opinion. I won't judge anyone who thinks differently unless people start making repros that are indistinguishable from legit copies.

People are making indistinguishable ones and selling them side by side the real thing at flea markets and stores in my local area. Most of the sellers advertise the lower price for repros and clearly mark their product but I guarantee you once those are on the secondary market, there are a lot less honest people.

Galdelico

Yeah, I can easily understand both sides, even though my very personal stance in more in the line of:
I'm not going to tell anyone how to enjoy their retro games but if I wanted a game that was only released in Japan, I would either buy the Japanese version or play it on my everdrive. A repro is no different from a ROM on an Everdrive in my opinion.

I think I wouldn't mind buying a nicely designed repro of a particularly cool color hack/translation of a game I love, but that I already own an original copy of. I mean, I'm a collector since ages, and I can't simply force myself to buy a booleg of Eliminate Down and accept/enjoy it as it was the real deal. That's just me, of course.

The collectors chasing original editions of games have kind of tainted our hobby, as there are plenty of other ways to access and enjoy ancient video games. I stand by my analogy, would you consider someone less of a reader or a collector if their library was full of pocket editions instead of original prints? Would you ask them why they buy these seemingly cheap editions instead of downloading them and putting them on an e-reader?
That's an interesting point.
I would never consider that person less of a reader. Of a collector though? Maybe?
I mean, one can literally collect anything and be perfecly happy with it. From Ferrari cars to, I dunno, used tissues. There may be plenty of ways to make a collection of pocket-edition books legit and look awesome, but if you show me a huge library of original prints... Well, that would impress the hell out of me way more, I suppose.

Galdelico

Hey guys! I just brought rolling thunder 2 off eBay tonight after hearing on this thread that it's great. Looking forward to playing it =)

RT2 is pretty awesome. Enjoy it! ^_-

Speaking of eBay... I don't know what's the demand for this kind of stuff - nor if they are good quality or craptastic - but on Italian eBay there's some guy selling a bunch of repros of cart labels, at the moment. :/
No idea if it's allowed to post such eBay links here, but - in case it is - I'll leave it in my next post, just as a reminder of what to be aware of in the future, espcially since those labels are for pretty expensive/collectible games.

IrishNinja

Caliber 50 deserved better scores! well, once you switch up the control method anyway

also i thought we stopped mocking each other for buying repros or whatever we cared for in like 2013

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Caliber 50 deserved better scores! well, once you switch up the control method anyway

also i thought we stopped mocking each other for buying repros or whatever we cared for in like 2013

Never played Caliber50, but i think it looks really cool in those screens at least. Need to check it out!

Galdelico

I mean, of all games you can throw thousands at, why some random EA crap (I mean, I assume it's crap, but even if it's not...)? Someone is actually willing to pay almost 9500 euros for a PAL50 basketball game.

You learn interesting bits every day.

TeaJay

I mean, of all games you can throw thousands at, why some random EA crap (I mean, I assume it's crap, but even if it's not...)? Someone is actually willing to pay almost 9500 euros for a PAL50 basketball game.

It says why in the description.

A friend of mine who was an executive at EA needed to sell his game collection as he was selling his UK house. Part of that collection was a lot of Megadrive games. Probably all EA Megadrive games for that matter. Nearly all, including this one, are unopened. It was only opened by me for the first time to take the photo. The manual, returns slip, case and cart are all in perfect condition. You won't find one in better condition.

My guess would be some kind of licensing issue that wasn't worth fighting given Europe's marginal interest in basketball. I've read on forums that there are only a dozen or so known to be in existence.

You should know by now that the actual gameplay is worth nothing when collecting is the main focus.

Bar81

You should know by now that the actual gameplay is worth nothing when collecting is the main focus.

One is not a "real" collector without a complete collection with all the garbage. It's an amusing shitshow to watch stuff like this and stadium events auctions, etc.

Galdelico

It says why in the description.

(...)

Yeah, it was more like a rethorical question. I'm well aware stuff like that happens all the time. Doesn't make it less mind-boggling, to me, though. :)

JDH

One is not a "real" collector without a complete collection with all the garbage. It's an amusing shitshow to watch stuff like this and stadium events auctions, etc.

I like the way Coury from MLiG puts it as a "curated collection"; That's kind of the route I'm trying to go.
I guess I'll never be a true collector ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Khaz

I like the way Coury from MLiG puts it as a "curated collection"; That's kind of the route I'm trying to go.
I guess I'll never be a true collector ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Curated collection with reproductions, "true collectors" look at me like
IndolentSociableBuzzard.gif

BTails

I like how nonchalant the pictures are: "Here's this super crazy rare game in mint condition. I opened it to take pics so the value went down. Also, I just threw it on my living room rug to take some pics, might have some dog hair included now free of charge".

IrishNinja

I like how nonchalant the pictures are: "Here's this super crazy rare game in mint condition. I opened it to take pics so the value went down. Also, I just threw it on my living room rug to take some pics, might have some dog hair included now free of charge".

hahaha
"almost dropped it off with goodwill, or in the dumpster behind it, where it belongs. anyway, happy bidding"

Shaneus

It's not even a specific PAL50 game, the cartridge is the regular US release one (as far as I can tell), given it says "For play on Sega Genesis systems" (like all other EA titles). Basically, you're paying for the box (afaik).

The funniest thing was following through a few of those links, and he had a listing for all the games there (I think 120 of them?) priced to start at 1 pound per game. And this one is listed quite in the middle of them, not making a point to mention it above any others or anything.

They must be every EA title released on MD, I'd think.

Top Bottom