• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S8 · S8+ |OT| - Available April 21, 2017

BraXzy

Couple QoL feature questions... Is there a setting to allow Google Assistant to listen out for OK Google when on the always-on screen?

Is there a setting that can make the side swipe panel close when I swipe right? After swiping it left to open, my first reaction to close is swipe the other way every time.

JonnyKong

I keep occasionally forgetting that there's no physical button at the bottom anymore. I keep pressing my finger down on the screen quite hard.

cilonen

I'm really tempted to go without a screen protector on this. Gorilla Glass 5 should hold up better than my old iPhone 6 right? That thing got hairline scratches coming in and out of my jeans pocket but it was fairly notorious for having a 'soft' screen.

I'm not a fan of any of the screen protectors I've seen for the S8 so far and the screen is so good I really hesitate to stick something on top of it.

I finally tried the ear buds.

These are the only in ear buds I've used that will stay in my ears with zero effort.

Great seal for my ears, but they seem a little too low end heavy and not very defined in the highs and high miss.

To the point where if you go into the built in equaliser in advanced mode and take the lowest frequency slider down one step, everything gets louder all of a sudden due to everything ni lo her being compressed by the low end.

Still messing with the EQ to find my sweet spot.

Edit: They're also loud as hell. Stupidly loud.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I had to buy a thin case so it won't fall out of my pocket and destroy itself. The design is so slippery, and half of my bottoms have shallow pockets which would only result in it's doom.

I got the case "Maxboost Galaxy S8 Case" from Amazon. This is not an endorsement. In fact I'm surprised there were so many verified reviews this soon. It's probably paid reviews and I need to up my game with detecting that. Generally fits the phone well, but the buttons are slightly out of place. And the grip, while much improved, doesn't match my old S5. But at least my S8's shelf life isn't guaranteed to end in a few weeks.

BraXzy

I was sceptical about the iris scanner at first, but man, it's magic.

Is there a way to have it work from the always on display without first waking it up and swiping? It takes longer doing that then finding the finger print scanner with my finger as I pick the thing up.

Is there a way to have it work from the always on display without first waking it up and swiping? It takes longer doing that then finding the finger print scanner with my finger as I pick the thing up.

Pretty sure there's a setting to not require a swipe.

Type "iris unlock when screen turns on" in settings and you'll find it.

Kensation

Turn on "unlock with home button" in the settings under Display/Navigation bar. Press down on the home button in the AOD display and it should seamlessly go into iris unlock.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Debating if I want to buy this straight-out at Best Buy today.

Would keep my upgrade eligibility open for the iPhone in September. And I could stop paying $35/month until then on my iPhone.

Strider

yeah i know how to change the always on display - but im talking about after that and it goes to your lock screen.

ooooh ok. yea dunno sorry

I already forgot that was a thing and associated the always on display as the "lock screen" as I never see the actual lock screen anymore lol I have my phone just going straight to the home menu. My bad.

JonnyKong

I feel like because we get the option to customise our home screen so much, I'm missing out on some neat tricks to make mine look really sexy. If anybody wants to post screenshots of their home screen so I can get layout ideas that would be most welcome.

Bookoo

So went to Sam's Club and asked them about the whole discrepancy between purchase date and reserve date.

They just told me I should put the reserve date in and show the email as my receipt even tho you can only attach 1 image. So I imagine I would have had to deal with customer support to get the GearVR.

I decided to just pass on the phone because that answer wasn't that great and it was taking forever.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying the phone so far. Ear buds sound nice to me. One thing I'm missing coming from WP is syncing of profile pics from Facebook.

An S8 Question to owners:

Need a new phone for work, and it will not cost me(i.e from a budget).

I assumed just go for the best, i.e S8 and it should be grand. Love my current S6. My only worry is the constant mention of the unlocking via fingerprint being really awkward. I leave the phone on the desk face up, finger flat down to unlock, really simple. Will the S8 annoy me or will I just adjust.
I wear glasses if that effects the facial/iris unlock?

If not the S8, anything else needs to be this month so cannot wait.

Lagamorph

I assumed just go for the best, i.e S8 and it should be grand. Love my current S6. My only worry is the constant mention of the unlocking via fingerprint being really awkward. I leave the phone on the desk face up, finger flat down to unlock, really simple. Will the S8 annoy me or will I just adjust.

My glasses haven't disrupted the Iris unlock at all, haven't tried facial unlock though after some of the reports of it being fooled by a photograph.

I finally tried the ear buds.

These are the only in ear buds I've used that will stay in my ears with zero effort.

Great seal for my ears, but they seem a little too low end heavy and not very defined in the highs and high miss.

To the point where if you go into the built in equaliser in advanced mode and take the lowest frequency slider down one step, everything gets louder all of a sudden due to everything ni lo her being compressed by the low end.

Still messing with the EQ to find my sweet spot.

Edit: They're also loud as hell. Stupidly loud.

Well after going back and forth between these, my lg tones and sennheiser over ears, I actually think these SamsungAKG do a pretty good job. I had to tame the low end with the built in EQ though.

They have a pretty tight and defined low end, vocals are nice and clear. Highs "feel" overwhelmed by the lows and mids. They're still there, it's just that the lower end and mids have so much presence.

I really like them actually. I highly recommend pulling down the 63Hz slider a step. It seems to open up the sound.

Could you have the phone on a desk, tap it, look down at it and its unlocked?

Yep, although for something like that, the wide angle lens used for the selfie cam makes using facial recognition more feasible due to the fact that the phone doesn't need to be facing you directly.

cilonen

Fingerprint unlock issues are way overblown. It works pretty flawlessly and rapidly.

BraXzy

I have my phone face up at work too for the always on screen. I pick it up, as I pick it up my finger naturally places near the scanner, takes me half a second and no effort to press my finger on it. My phones unlocked before I'd have had chance to swipe it.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
When did you order? I had mine with Very (UK) and it came yesterday but I ordered a little over a week ago.

I had the same reaction at first, but yeah, the chip we get is supposedly better and more battery friendly. Don't sweat it ;)

Yesterday :p

And that's great news, hyped as hell to get this phone haha

I impulse bought the shit out of the S8 black today. I've had a S7E since launch that now sports a heavy crack in one of the corners, but man after seeing the demo and just the feel of the phone I had to get it.

I'm going to be tinkering with this thing all night.

Azerare

Anyone find any good thorough reviews on the S8+. My 2 year contract is up next week and I'm definitely considering on upgrading to the S8 + from my S6 Edge.

I guess a few questions for gaffers though...
How is the battery life?
Is the S8 + a comfortable size to hold and carry in pockets?

Izayoi

Banned
Anyone find any good thorough reviews on the S8+. My 2 year contract is up next week and I'm definitely considering on upgrading to the S8 + from my S6 Edge.

How is the battery life?
1) Incredible. I'm coming from an S7 and the difference is staggering. I imagine it will be even more stark since you are going from S6E.

2) It is amazing to hold, even with a case on. It is is a little tall, so it doesn't play nice with all pockets, but it generally fits in my experience.

How is the battery life?

gsmArena.com do the most thorough reviews out of any major tech site that I know of.

Mobilegeeks have a 30+ minute I depth review on YouTube if the gsm arena review is too intimidating and you actually don't care about the signal to noise ratio of the voice call speaker.

The phone is pretty comfy to hold due to it not being wide, just tall. I've so far only had my S7 in tradesman trousers and baggy tracksuit bottoms so can't really comment on the pants co.fort other than it just feels like a phone in your pocket.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm coming back to Android from iOS after two years

What are some essential/recommended apps/things to do?

VoxPop

I'm coming back to Android from iOS after two years

What are some essential/recommended apps/things to do?

Can't get rid of Touchwiz but you can at least change the homescreen with Nova Launcher.

Pocket Casts, Zooper and Google Opinion Rewards are some essentials of mine.

Hoping to pick up a S8+ in a week or two after some user impressions!

Azerare

1) Incredible. I'm coming from an S7 and the difference is staggering. I imagine it will be even more stark since you are going from S6E.

2) It is amazing to hold, even with a case on. It is is a little tall, so it doesn't play nice with all pockets, but it generally fits in my experience.

Ooh that's great to hear then. I've definitely haven't been pumped like this for hardware in awhile.

Top Bottom