• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Please help! Need advice on what to get - Steam Link, Nvidia Shield TV or XBOX

Sugarmonkey

Hi guys! With the release of the XB1X, I've been caught up in the hype. Reading about the graphic fidelity (over the PS4 Pro), and the backwards compatibility (with some graphic upgrades to last gen games), has gotten me excited. With that being said, I do currently have a PS4 Pro in the basement running on my TCL P605 TV. I've read that people recommend not getting an XB1X if you currently have a PS4 Pro and a great gaming PC (which I do), because games will come to both the PC and XB1X (some of which, like GoW4 are already available), so I wouldn't be missing out on system exclusives like Sea of Thieves, etc.

As mentioned, I have a really nice PC. Intel i7 6700k, GTX 1080, 64 gigs of ram and the OS (and some games) running on an m1 NAND drive. The thing is that I use my PC for my work (photo editing), and I haven't been gaming on it much so I can separate my work time from my play time to stay focused. Going into the basement to play "after work" has been a good thing. So that got me thinking about streaming my nice PC to my TV, and enjoying a console of a different sort. I already have an awesome PC library, so why not utilize that? It looks like the options are either the Steam Link or the Nvidia Shield TV Pro.

So here is my question: would you recommend the Steam Link, the Nvidia Shield TV, or an XB1X? I currently have a ton of games on Steam, but the Steam Link only does 1080p (and is only 20-50 bucks). The Shield looks good, but I'm confused as to whether or not I can play any game that the GeForce Experience shows in my library. It's also close to $200, and I don't need its 4k TV streaming as my Roku TV does that currently.

Streaming bandwidth shouldn't be an issue for either the Link or the Shield. Currently, in the basement, I have a Cat5 cable coming from an Orbi satellite WiFi system with speeds on my phone showing 200 down and 35 up (my max ISP speeds). The PS4 Pro only gets about half of that at any time, even though my phone shows I'm getting the max in the same spot via Wifi. I'm pretty sure the Pro is limited when it comes to raw bandwidth power, but I could be wrong.

The other considerations are that I really need to have sound coming from a headset, and I like being able to chat with people while I game. Do either the Link or the Shield have options for voice chat via a headset? I can't run through speakers as my daughter sleeps right above me. Also, being able to play UHD Bluray discs on the XB1X would be really nice, in addition to a likely easier headset scenario (I already have Astro A50's). Just not sure if that and the higher graphic fidelity is $500 nice.

I think that's it! Hopefully I've been pretty clear about my options, and that you all can provide some good advice on what I should get next. Thanks :)

Sugarmonkey

What? Get a Switch. You have your bases covered with what you have right now. Otherwise just get a Steam Link.

Again, I'm not really gaming (directly) on my PC as I'm trying to keep it work-separate, which is why I'm asking about the Link or the Shield. A Switch does sound tempting, but I'm looking for a way to either use the library I already have on my PC, in the basement, or jump on board the XB1X hype with the large back catalog of games.

SMattera

The steam link will probably go on sale for $15 during the steam Thanksgiving sale. Just get that and see how it works. If it doesn't work you're only out a fraction of what a XBX would cost you.

Syriel

Again, I'm not really gaming (directly) on my PC as I'm trying to keep it work-separate, which is why I'm asking about the Link or the Shield. A Switch does sound tempting, but I'm looking for a way to either use the library I already have on my PC, in the basement, or jump on board the XB1X hype with the large back catalog of games.

If you're running Steam Link, you're running the games directly on your PC.

Get the One X, and then you'll have the 4K Blu, plus the ability to stream the X games to your PC for a work break, without needing to install and games on the work PC.

Get a Steam Link and a Switch.

Sugarmonkey

If you're running Steam Link, you're running the games directly on your PC.

Get the One X, and then you'll have the 4K Blu, plus the ability to stream the X games to your PC for a work break, without needing to install and games on the work PC.

So the PC is upstairs, and I don’t use it when I’m in the basement. So running it up there from down here is cool. Playing XB1X games on the pc upstairs gets me away from the work-game separation I’m currently achieving

Syriel

So the PC is upstairs, and I don’t use it when I’m in the basement. So running it up there from down here is cool. Playing XB1X games on the pc upstairs gets me away from the work-game separation I’m currently achieving

Ah, I thought you didn't want to run games on the PC alongside work stuff.

Didn't realize it was a physical separation you were looking for.

tryDEATH

You will get some utility from a X1X. If you got a itch from some older games you will get that with the the backwards compatibility, you get a UHD player, and you can also buy one game and be able to play them both on the X1X and on the PC if they are from a 1st party developer is always nice as they are two different gaming environments. Since you already got a 4K TV I think its worth it your only going to get more use out of it down the line. However that is still only if you got the extra money in your budget.

Shifty

If there's even an outside chance of being able to run HDMI from the PC to the basement, do that.

Otherwise, get a steam link. You have a 1080 OP, you should get some use out of it!

Top Bottom