• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Balmung with this thing would be nuts.
wink.gif

I think I'll get into crafting at some point, but when I listen to people talk about the market and whatnot, it's really confusing. I'm not really into it to make money--I just want a house with a large plot so I can do gardening.

How is gathering? I imagine you have to pay for the top-end crafted gear, but is it easier to generate a profit? Is it mostly consistent?

Gathering is and always pretty crappy in my opinion. The good stuff is on timed nodes and requires good gear and often food and there's still some RNG sometimes(like 94% to get the item so it fails about 1 in 3) and then you have to wait for the respawn an hour later or whatever. Can go gather some other stuff but meh. The time it takes to gather enough stuff to sell for a good amount isn't worth it imo, and it's full of downtime or super repetitive gameplay. Early on a lot of the basic nodes had 1k+ items so it was nice but a lot of prices have dropped.

Crafting at least lets you afk while you do it.

Crafting is a bit weird because there's this constant inflation on stuff so people expect to make more and more money out of it, but it's still stupidly profitable crafting almost anything. Basically you buy mats for x and sell whatever uses these mats for 2x pretty easily, and some stuff it's more like 5x or 10x. Just that current tier is weird because of how easy it is and stuff so you can't do it on big items like you could before. Like spend 500k sell for 5m in one item kind of thing. Currently it's more like you have to buy 500k worth of a bunch of stuff and craft a bunch of stuff and make 1 or 2million "only". But really if you just do that every day for a few week, well you're "rich". Not top crafter since 2.0 rich, but rich enough.

Like currently you could be making raider food(direct hit food, crit food, tenacity food and whatever healers use), infusions(potions), white gathering gear and crafting gear depending on your server prices, lvl 61-65 crafting/gathering gear, processed materials(turning durium sand into durium nugget then that into ingots or turning random monster garbage into beetle glue or reisui), leve turn in items or even heavensward crafting/gathering gear and make good profit out of everything, it's just smaller scale per item, like maybe you get 30-70k per item, so it takes a bunch of crafts and a bunch of listings on retainers and you have to readjust the prices a few times a day because of undercutters, bit of busywork basically.

But it's a slow and steady way to make money, and the time investment isn't that big, the crafting itself is pressing a key then another key 40secs later and repeat every minute, and most of the "work" is buying all the materials(use a website like garland or crafting as a service to make lists) and listing the items on your retainer. You can do one hour of casual alt tabbing crafting a day and make 1-2million pretty easily.

I've been looking into playing BDO and it turns out they do have a bulge slider.

This character creator really does everything.

FFXIV with this thing would be nuts.

Black desert online's character creator is pretty much the best cc I have ever seen in a video game. It's godlike and ffxiv wishes it compared. Unfortunately, they keep denying more customization options for some stupid reason.

remz

I've been looking into playing BDO and it turns out they do have a bulge slider.

This character creator really does everything.

FFXIV with this thing would be nuts.
:smirk emoji:

I finally made it to heavensward last night! The post game content from ARR was pretty fucking rough with the combination of bland ass fetch questing and 8 man instance queues (which even as a tank sometimes took around an hour....) but with some help from an FC I joined I got through it. I must admit, the plot developments in the last little bit really caught me by surprise... probably because not much had been really happening since like, the raid on the dang imperials. I'm looking forward to the new environment and trying out DRK

Omni

Anyone have an WHM/AST perspective of the first part of v4s? Trying to see where I can improve. We spent like two hours wiping before even seeing Neo Exdeath today. Boss was at around 61-62% and I'm only sitting on about 1k dps. Just seems like a lot of healing hmmm

So we're close either way. Just can't quite get it. That stupid flare mechanic after the blizzard black hole phase is a mess

KuroNeeko

Gathering is and always pretty crappy in my opinion. The good stuff is on timed nodes and requires good gear and often food and there's still some RNG sometimes(like 94% to get the item so it fails about 1 in 3) and then you have to wait for the respawn an hour later or whatever. Can go gather some other stuff but meh. The time it takes to gather enough stuff to sell for a good amount isn't worth it imo, and it's full of downtime or super repetitive gameplay. Early on a lot of the basic nodes had 1k+ items so it was nice but a lot of prices have dropped.

Crafting at least lets you afk while you do it.

Crafting is a bit weird because there's this constant inflation on stuff so people expect to make more and more money out of it, but it's still stupidly profitable crafting almost anything. Basically you buy mats for x and sell whatever uses these mats for 2x pretty easily, and some stuff it's more like 5x or 10x. Just that current tier is weird because of how easy it is and stuff so you can't do it on big items like you could before. Like spend 500k sell for 5m in one item kind of thing. Currently it's more like you have to buy 500k worth of a bunch of stuff and craft a bunch of stuff and make 1 or 2million "only". But really if you just do that every day for a few week, well you're "rich". Not top crafter since 2.0 rich, but rich enough.

Like currently you could be making raider food(direct hit food, crit food, tenacity food and whatever healers use), infusions(potions), white gathering gear and crafting gear depending on your server prices, lvl 61-65 crafting/gathering gear, processed materials(turning durium sand into durium nugget then that into ingots or turning random monster garbage into beetle glue or reisui), leve turn in items or even heavensward crafting/gathering gear and make good profit out of everything, it's just smaller scale per item, like maybe you get 30-70k per item, so it takes a bunch of crafts and a bunch of listings on retainers and you have to readjust the prices a few times a day because of undercutters, bit of busywork basically.

But it's a slow and steady way to make money, and the time investment isn't that big, the crafting itself is pressing a key then another key 40secs later and repeat every minute, and most of the "work" is buying all the materials(use a website like garland or crafting as a service to make lists) and listing the items on your retainer. You can do one hour of casual alt tabbing crafting a day and make 1-2million pretty easily.

Thanks for the reply! ^^

I've got all my crafts at 15-20 with WVR and LTW at 21-25.
Not much to work with except maybe....Diremite Web...lol

PepperedHam

To go with all the crafting talk in here, and to also kind of noob this thread up a bit - I'm also slowly but steadily leveling up crafts but is there a good steady way to make gil at 70 without it? I'm kind of running low on gil (by my standards) and am totally blind on what is an income source besides the usual crafting.

Atolm

To go with all the crafting talk in here, and to also kind of noob this thread up a bit - I'm also slowly but steadily leveling up crafts but is there a good steady way to make gil at 70 without it? I'm kind of running low on gil (by my standards) and am totally blind on what is an income source besides the usual crafting.

Right now, doing hunts and selling the materias is ridiculously profitable and everyone can do it.

Seijuro

Playing on my OG PS4, I will sometimes get a complete sound drop when the action is really busy (in dungeons), about one second of total silence. When it happened the first time I thought for a moment my hard drive froze, but then the sound continued without problems.
This has happened about 4 or 5 times now over the completion of the Stormblood msq and is FF14/Stormblood-exclusive, also hasn't happened with ARR or Heavensward (or any other game for that matter). Is this a common problem or something I should worry about in regard to my PS4?

kaze343

Playing on my OG PS4, I will sometimes get a complete sound drop when the action is really busy (in dungeons), about one second of total silence. When it happened the first time I thought for a moment my hard drive froze, but then the sound continued without problems.
This has happened about 4 or 5 times now over the completion of the Stormblood msq and is FF14/Stormblood-exclusive, also hasn't happened with ARR or Heavensward (or any other game for that matter). Is this a common problem or something I should worry about in regard to my PS4?

has happened on pc too. sometimes sound is lost completely and the only way to get it back is to log off, then back on.

iammeiam

23 deaths, 22% enrage.

Next week bro. NEXT. WEEK.

(in b4 4 nights of 3)

Anyone have an WHM/AST perspective of the first part of v4s? Trying to see where I can improve. We spent like two hours wiping before even seeing Neo Exdeath today. Boss was at around 61-62% and I'm only sitting on about 1k dps. Just seems like a lot of healing hmmm

So we're close either way. Just can't quite get it. That stupid flare mechanic after the blizzard black hole phase is a mess

Noct AST, so probably not super useful, but: Noct AST POV; I finish P1 around 800-900 DPS, the WHM finishes around 1400. I overheal White Hole an obscene amount because
the Black Hole HP debuff falling off mid-White Hole cast is one of the most troll things I've ever seen, rage.
, but as long as the pull is smooth it usually works out. A surprising amount of running O4S with a WHM, The Pure Healer Job of Champions, is making the WHM not heal and just throw rocks so I can smash random buttons. But we tend to the overheal side because the tanks and DPS mostly have it covered as long as we don't let them die.

Is crafting HQ items basically a pipe dream if I don't want to level every crafting class to 50? I have GSM, ARM, and LTW and I'm not sure I can be bothered to level more than one more. (They're hovering around level 56).

I'm not sure about Stormblood, but once Heavensward came around quests started dropping HQ items and I'm not even sure it's worth it anymore.

laoni

If you have level 70 battle retainers, a nice easy way to get gil is to have them gather crafting materials for you, and then sell the materials. I make probably 50k-70k/hr doing this right now on Balmung, which I don't find too shabby for literally no work

Silav101

Is crafting HQ items basically a pipe dream if I don't want to level every crafting class to 50? I have GSM, ARM, and LTW and I'm not sure I can be bothered to level more than one more. (They're hovering around level 56).

I'm not sure about Stormblood, but once Heavensward came around quests started dropping HQ items and I'm not even sure it's worth it anymore.

I'm an omnicrafter, and from experience you will struggle massively to make HQ items without the cross-class skills, and any *-recipes past level 50 will be completely out of reach.

You're gonna need arguably every crafter but CUL and ARM at 50 and even then there's some rotations/recipes that will need their skills.

WVR, ALC and CRP at 50 are basically mandatory for anything.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

At the very least, just do the Ixali daily quests. Slowly get those other crafting jobs up, but at no cost.

Baleoce

Is there a way to verify game files and repair them in the client? (like you can with steam and blizzard games).

I had a recentissue with bad sectors on the HDD and various files from games and the OS were corrupted by it. For Overwatch I just scanned the files in the options bit of the client, but I'm not sure what to do for XIV. Because the game is crashing when it tries to use a file that's corrupted.

Managed to squeeze out an O1S clear late last night. We're still trying to assemble a mini static. Went on MNK since another guy is SAM.

Also nutted up and started NIN again and ran some PotD... I hate that place. Too many speedrunners so I can't build the aetherpool gear or I get the players who don't know what a job stone is. Wiped to Blackbosom as NIN, PUG, and 2x archers. Armor aetherpool was a lousy 12 and everything on the floor prior to boss hit very very hard. Hope I can go back and repeat floors so I can build this up otherwise I'll just suck up the queues and do dungeons instead.

MechaX

Welp, spent the money to get the jump potion on MCH.

... I will fully admit that I probably should have used it on PLD and I seldom tank.

The class doesn't even seem like it has a game plan yet (I think the heated moves should have been introduced way earlier in a pitch perfect kind of fashion).

Zuly

I haven't tackled Savage myself but Miunih from Elysium posted a PoV video of their Savage clears.

Baleoce

Is there a way to verify game files and repair them in the client? (like you can with steam and blizzard games).

I had a recentissue with bad sectors on the HDD and various files from games and the OS were corrupted by it. For Overwatch I just scanned the files in the options bit of the client, but I'm not sure what to do for XIV. Because the game is crashing when it tries to use a file that's corrupted.

Nvm, I looked it up and there isn't anything like that in the client.

Alric

I've got some characters to lvl 60 but I was starting to level up my Archer who is like lvl 25. Should I stick with fates and dungeons to a certain point then start doing Palace of the Dead, when does it become more beneficial to just do POTD runs?

Berordn

I've got some characters to lvl 60 but I was starting to level up my Archer who is like lvl 25. Should I stick with fates and dungeons to a certain point then start doing Palace of the Dead, when does it become more beneficial to just do POTD runs?

As I recall, at every level <60, MSQ > Dungeons at level > POTD > Fate Trains > Side Quests > Solo Fates.

So if you can group up with a tank or healer to spam dungeons that'd be fastest, but flying solo nothing can beat POTD runs.

iammeiam

I dunno what the hell MCH's flame thrower is for. I feel like I'm overlooking something but no idea what

Aiuri's part of the MCH/ranged guide gives a pretty good description:
Q: how should i use flamethrower?
flamethrower has a multitude of uses!

for AoE! flamethrower is incredibly strong for AoE at 3 or more targets. be sure to manage heat appropriately and see if overheating with flamethrower is worth it or not. if not, then use cooldown appropriately to manage your heat pre/post flamethrower.

for even more AoE damage, flamethrower snapshots whatever buffs when you cast it, so you could overheat and spread shot, followed by a flamethrower right before your overheat ends! then build heat back up with spread shot.

flamethrower helps you execute overheat wildfires and make the most out them! the best way to execute an overheat wildfire is to start at 80+ heat (90+ preferred), using flamethrower until you overheat. right as you overheat, apply wildfire and execute your overheat wildfire rotation!

as an oh shit button! if you mess up and overheat, but don't have barrel stabilizer, flamethrower can be a great way to get back to 50 heat. the accidental overheat will still be a loss, but with flamethrower, you'll minimize your losses at least.

FT for heat management into Wildfire is possibly a bigger deal now than you'd think, given that natural heat building has been slowed down so much.

Zuly

Can we talk about Primal Intros and why they have been hot garbage since Shiva? Nidhogg was okay but they no longer have the grand entrance they did compared to Garuda, Leviathan and Shiva.

Why can't they be like this again?

EDIT: Shit, I forgot about Ravana. Take that back. He's the exception.

Squishy3

Susano's entrance was pretty good, although his introduction is more in the fight itself than anything else.

WILD AND PURE AND FOREVER FREE!

Leunam

Susano was not at all what I thought he would be. He's much like Ravana in a way but much more jovial about it. Ravana enjoys battle as a way to prove himself superior, Susano encourages battle as an exhibition of strength. At least that's how I interpret it.

thefil

My girlfriend and I have been getting through Stormblood at our own busy pace, and are now 66.

On the side I've been leveling RDM and WAR, and one thing I can't get over is how much more I enjoy dungeons in XIV over WoW. In WoW, I dread leveling through the same dungeons I've done before, but in XIV I'm generally happy to do Leveling or 50/60 roulette and AMPED to do Trial roulette.

Anyone have theories as to what makes XIV dungeons more appealing? My best guess right now is just the spectacle of them - it feels like they put a lot more work into each boss/dungeon to make it memorable.

Omni

Noct AST, so probably not super useful, but: Noct AST POV; I finish P1 around 800-900 DPS, the WHM finishes around 1400. I overheal White Hole an obscene amount because
the Black Hole HP debuff falling off mid-White Hole cast is one of the most troll things I've ever seen, rage.
, but as long as the pull is smooth it usually works out. A surprising amount of running O4S with a WHM, The Pure Healer Job of Champions, is making the WHM not heal and just throw rocks so I can smash random buttons. But we tend to the overheal side because the tanks and DPS mostly have it covered as long as we don't let them die.

Thanks guys!

Also yeah, that HP debuff falling off has caught me off guard a couple of times. Couldn't figure out why people were staying topped off and then I realised, haha xD

Hopefully this week we can clean it up a bit. Our tanks pull Exdeath to the middle during that part and I'm not convinced it's worth the trade off with everyone having to dodge black holes and spread for flares

iammeiam

Hopefully this week we can clean it up a bit. Our tanks pull Exdeath to the middle during that part and I'm not convinced it's worth the trade off with everyone having to dodge black holes and spread for flares

I saw center in the EM video and I think that's probably smarter than what we do; we've had relatively little problem with the flare Black Hole set, but the first set with fire into Holy was kind of a mess.

I ended up resorting to some messed up fingerpainting to try and work out pathing that would get less janky healers ( before,after); having him up top is nicer for the blizzard/flare one because we just have the DPS all plant up there and eat that flare, then have tanks and healers lap the outside dragging our holes away from the DPS in the process, but it makes the fire set messier as the tanks get greedy occasionally and having the DPS clumped north means nobody can run through north which cramps tank/healer space.

Also FFLogs is vehemently disagreeing with ACT about my DPS, so idk what I actually do now aside from really really bad

ebil

So is there no way to heal your pet as SMN besides shitty Physick now? Why the hell did they remove Sustain? I don't get it.
No, there's nothing now. They were asking for feedback regarding Sustain so I imagine they'll do something in time. To be honest SMN only received a minor change in the last patch despite all of its problems so I can only imagine it's going to get more significant changes down the line.

Top Bottom