• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best canonical reasons for in-game mechanics

MAtgS

Injustice is full of this.

-Heroes fighting other heroes? Civil war plot.

-Street level heroes beating up Superman? Nanomachines, son.

-Two of the same character fighting each other? Multi verse.

-Joker still in the sequel? Scarecrow hallucination.

Vibranium

Banned
Witcher 3 signposts used as fast travel.

I wish they had explained how Roach teleports all over the map when Geralt calls him though. Really, it would have been cool if he was enchanted by a mage and gave off a magic aura when appearing or something. Have a quick throwaway line too.

SystemUser

I don;t know if it is truly canon, but I always like the excuse for Halo 2 having duel wielding. The UNSC regulations against duel wielding were relaxed during the war with the Covenant.

Quiet's skin in MGSV

I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

In Unreal Tournament the characters use a device called a respawner to respawn after death.

I never even thought about killing Yes Man, holy crap.
If you tell Yes Man what happend to and then threaten to kill him he will tell that he creates backups of himself every he's threatened.

Keym

Parasite Eve's save points. Nothing too special, you just call the police station and give them your report. :)

1686452-nathan_spencer.jpg

His arm is
his wife. For some reason, the arm had to be close to the vielder on a personal and psychological level, so ...it's his wife.

Oh, I thought you said "worst"...

Ri'Orius

I wish they had explained how Roach teleports all over the map when Geralt calls him though. Really, it would have been cool if he was enchanted by a mage and gave off a magic aura when appearing or something. Have a quick throwaway line too.

Nah, Roach shouldn't be magic. Dude just follows you around, always just out of sight but within earshot.

Co-op and PvP in Souls games.

In the game's universe, these are actually people from another world, some of them choose to help you, some of them choose to attack, but we know they can't stay for very long.
Those who want to help can be summoned while those who want to attack can come into your world without you even knowing it.

Truly one of the most creative and seamless multiplayer system.

Keinning

i remember one building sim where the "twist" in the end was that you were some sort of cybergod hovering around their world and doing shit. after the revelation the UI would even cast shadows over the gameworld. forgot the name tho

well they joke about it on the gwent (game) card for roach - the game and geralt are aware of roach's teleportation powers

so he might be indeed magic for all we know

Jezan

Final Fantasy XIV is great at this. For instance, the gil paid to teleport between the various locations in the game is explained as a toll paid to an attendant upon arrival to maintain the teleportation network. In reality, those fees may be inflated because the (re)construction of the network was funded by a shady cartel that controls one of the games city-states.

That’s just one example of many provided in the game. Really goes above and beyond in this respect.
Hmmm that's similar to teleportation fees in Linesge 2, you are paying the magician that does the teleportation

Syril

And then they had to make it into more of a shooter and the weapon would...overheat. So ammo wasn't bullets, it was coolant cartridges, completely defeating the whole explanation in the first place.

It was so dumb. The idea of "thermal clips" in the setting was to allow the user to keep up a constant stream of fire without having to wait for the weapon to cool down. It could have been done where they were a new consumable item that you could use to reset your weapon's heat gauge instantly and it would have been keeping with that flavor. But in truth they wanted it to just play like an ordinary shooter so they just used ammo and had characters refer to running out of ammo and they couldn't even keep the visual effects of the shots being propelled by mass effect fields IT JUST LEAVES ME SO FUCKING PEEVED.

mclem

I love the way Bioshock explains respawning, with the Vita-Chambers - and, in turn, how those have an impact on the story.

theJwac

Dead Space without a doubt. Such seamless UI integration is so rare and well-executed that I struggle to think of a better example from a more recent game.

Menitta

In Trauma Center Second Opinion, the actual "Healing Touch" (which is just time stop) isn't that great, but what they do with it during the last operation is fucking cool.

You time stop once but that's not enough, so you DO IT AGAIN IN THE STOPPED TIME! IT'S SO COOL!!
That's literally the only time that happens.

Respawning in Shadow of Mordor is cool. Your deaths are canon in-game, and it reacts to when you die. The use of the nemesis system was really good when it came to respawning.

Ritzboof

nier automata is amazing with this. every aspect of the gameplay has some significance with the universe. the coolest thing is that you can actually fuck with the hud, since theyre modules in your little chip. you can get rid of various hud elements you deem unnecessary to make room for other modules, including your ability to play the game or live

i also feel like deadspace did an amazing job with making every element of its "hud" be integrated into the gameworld, rather than plastered on the screen for eternity. your HP is on the dudes back, and displays of importance are holograms that come off the suit. its immersive

also, in tekken you cant block a laser or a gun because theyre fucking lasers and guns

SomTervo

Working on a sci-fi something right now where all the player's skills and character improvements (accuracy, quick step sprinting, more multitasking with weapons) are unlocked by buying in-brain software. The software takes over motor and cognitive controls, managing your limbs and muscles and senses more effectively than your dumb old normal brain could. The gameplay feedback is your unlocked character skills and abilities.

Love that stuff. Heavily inspired by the Night's Dawn series and the characters' "Neural Nanonics".

Gardex

Nier Automata HUD and save/load-system
Dark Souls co-op/pvp

The entirety of Undertale. Saving/loading, leveling up, multiple playthoughs and even the combat work within the world's rules and storytelling to an extent.

Loona

Final Fantasy XI is an online game because it's suffering the opposite problem from Final Fantasy III's world - III was threatened by an excess of dark forces unbalancing the world, but XI's is similarly threatened because players keep defeating the dark forces of the world, making it lean towards an imbalance from too much light, which like with III, also invites the world-ending interference of the Cloud of Darkness - so the game world will keep trying to generate threats for players to fight, and when there's nobody else fighting anything the game will go offline.

How the camera buttons function in Mario 64.
Brilliant.

Also the fact that you are indeed controlling 2 characters. Should have let you plug a second controller and have player 2 controlling Lakitu and throwing some spikies around.

The reason for gear unlocks in Metroid: Other M.
:-(
Sad indeed, sad because it could have been one of the best excuses for Samus losing her abilities:

Samus enters the bottle ship and the shady character infects her suit with a virus. Then what Adam is doing in the entire game siting in the comand rooms computeris restoring
Samus abilities. So simple.

On topic:
  • Golden Eye: UI and mission objectives send to Bond through his watch.
  • Perfecrt Dark: Menus ae an Holographic UI projected near Johana eyes.
  • Prince of persia Sands of Time: The rewind feature and gameover screen.
  • Prince of Persia 2008: Why you don't die in chasms.
  • Conker Bad Fur Days: Why chocolate populates the world.
  • Breath of the Wild Rune System: Magic PDA.
  • The Indi game that when you die a son continues the game.
  • Far Cry 2 Quick travel: You are taking the bus.
  • Resident Evil 4: Item boxes are now a brief case Leon carries around everywhere he goes.
  • Metroid Prime Prime 3 specially: HUD elements are beein projected in Samus visor. In Prime 3 thanks to the Wii Remote Retro worked out a computer interface that projects into the helmet and the user uses the Wii remote like a mouse to intereact with.
  • Batman Arkhan City Armored Edition for Wii U: Batman gadgets, maps anjd interface are managed by the Gamepad touch screen which is represented in game by a PDA Batman has in the wrist. When the player uses the touch screen you actually see Batman using the PDA.
  • Zombi U: Item management is relegated in real time to the Gamepad, when the player uses the in ventory the game changes to a 3rd person view of the character seaching his backpak and losing enviromental awareness.
  • Star Fox Zero: The training shows: Gamepad Left Stick is fox left hand, right stick = right hand and Wii U gamepad = Fox HMD.
  • Prey (original): Why you can revive so many times. Mini game XD
  • Driver: Paralel Lines(?): The reason why you can highjack different cars or better said drivers.
  • Geist: Basically the reason you reive when the health is depleeted is because the possession of another body since the player is controlling an spirit.
  • Silent Hill Shattered Memories: How elements of the game are justified becuase of physcological profiling. It's a really interesting concept that should be expanded upon in other games.

• Ico: Is not exactly saving is Ico and Jorda hanging out on a couch.

wvan13

Can somebody please explain the Xenogears thing? Everyone agrees with it but nobody has actually told us what it is. Just put a billion spoiler warnings and spoiler tags.

Sulik2

XCOM: The Bureau

The twist in the game is that the whole time the main character was being controlled by an alien. After the twist the main character rejects this and the alien has to find a new host, who you choose from 3 of the supporting cast. While playing as this new character he, or she, remarks that it's amazing because now they can see the locations and abilities of all the people in their squad. Basically the HUD is just the information that the alien is relaying to the character. Thought it was a neat touch.

Very underrated game that twist was amazing.

Bluth54

-They asked the devs once what would happen if you tried to catch a human with a pokeball, apparently the pokeball would deem the Data erroneous and would modify it to the closest "correct" pokemon data. I guess that's where te idea for Bill's experiment came from.

I'm not sure what's worse, being able to turn humans into Pokemon or have Pokeballs actually hold humans, allowing widespread human trafficking in the Pokemon world.

Elessar

Neo Member
The DMW in Crisis Core: FFVII.

Represents who Zack was thinking of at the moment. The player isn't supposed to / won't understand that till the end of the game.

And when they finally do, it gets emotional as fuck.

In Trauma Center Second Opinion, the actual "Healing Touch" (which is just time stop) isn't that great, but what they do with it during the last operation is fucking cool.

You time stop once but that's not enough, so you DO IT AGAIN IN THE STOPPED TIME! IT'S SO COOL!!
That's literally the only time that happens.

Respawning in Shadow of Mordor is cool. Your deaths are canon in-game, and it reacts to when you die. The use of the nemesis system was really good when it came to respawning.

Trauma Center spoilers
that part is bullshit cause they dont establish it earlier on but its still pretty cool

Psyfer

Can somebody please explain the Xenogears thing? Everyone agrees with it but nobody has actually told us what it is. Just put a billion spoiler warnings and spoiler tags.

Never played the game, so I googled it.
I guess the big bad put them throughout the world to collect data and you're unwittingly telling him exactly what you're doing and where you are whenever you use it?

kurahador

The first Layton game --- The Curious Village on why everyone always give the Professor puzzles to solve.
The villagers were robots trying to protect the village secret
(major spoiler for the twist).

Sadly, subsequent games ruined this established logic. You can tell the game is supposed to be a one off.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Anyways:

In Borderlands and Battleborn when a character is "killed" a system teleports their body (and belongings) to a save station where the bodies are healed up.

Borderlands incorrectly jokes that your character dies and it gets a cloned body (which doesn't make sense because the stations also double as teleporters and they magically keep your stuff, so it's not actually a "just" a clone).

I don't think this is right. Not a single thing I've found in game or out points to it not being a digistructed new you.

Already stated but 999 the true ending finale was the best use of the dual screen feature, not just in terms of narrative but gameplay as well.

And Team Ico' s games.

The reason Bayonetta Wicked Weave attacks which expose some of her body when used (in the default costume) is because they use her magic-imbued suit made out of hair to summon (a part of) a demon to make the attack both stronger and bigger

Bayonetta's "infinite" ammo actually coming from weapon facilities or something like that...I think the way Kamiya explained it is that there are magical portals within the magic-infused firearms that funnel the ammo from said weapon facilities into her magic-infused firearms...far-fetched, yet pretty cool imo

Alan Wake's collectable bits of flavor text.
You're a writer, they're pages from a manuscript you're working on that were lost, they weren't just scattered around everywhere like audio recordings are in other games (looking at you, Bioshock) or even like they are with Quantum Break's emails (fuck Quantum Break, such trash).

Although I agree with and love the Alan Wake thing...I fail to find a reason to hate BioShock's implementation...to me at least, doesn't seem too unreasonable for random, drugged-out civilians to not have thought it through carefully where to leave their audio recordings...

Dunno about QB's implementation, so can't say anything about it for now

The explanation for why sprint and aiming down sights weren't in the early Halo games was because Spartans were always running at top speed and their suits did all of the precision stuff for them.

How the camera buttons function in Mario 64.

^^Both of the above are great imo

MCD250

BioShock Infinite annoys the fuck out of me, but I did like the explanation for respawning when you're not with Elizabeth.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
diegetic gameplay mechanics are amazing

Less verisimilitude-y ones are great as well, like the FF4 stuff, the magician with alziemers, etc.

kaitain19

Never played the game, so I googled it.
I guess the big bad put them throughout the world to collect data and you're unwittingly telling him exactly what you're doing and where you are whenever you use it?

So it's kinda like FFXIII then?
The save points in that game are floating online terminals that can also be used to access various shops that can be unlocked throughout the game. They can even be found in the most remote of locations. The description for the final unlockable shop revealed that the main villain of the game has been watching the party's progress since the very beginning and may have purposefully left out said terminals to monitor them.

Mephala

Prince of Persia 2008
You don't respond. Elika saves your sorry ass from falling or heals your mortal wounds.
You don't double jump. Elika hurls your ass the rest of the way.
Her magic is limited in range though so she can't keep flying and tossing you around unless she activates one of those relics left by arhmand

I can't remember the exact details, but didn't Final Fantasy XIV: ARR provide lore for why they had to reboot the entire game and start from scratch, including an in-game FMV showing the cataclysm at the end of the original game?

Top Bottom