• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

Great Episode soo far, only just up to the Sega talk.

Loving Ray as host, I love the bringing in of the sound drops, giving it an almost No More Whoppers feel which is a great thing.

krae_man

Jeremy, I refuse to believe you were disappointed in Lifeforce. Especially considering how old you would have been at the time.

"Aww, I wanted a movie about a NES shooter, not one where Mathilda May is naked for 80% of it"

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Jeremy, I refuse to believe you were disappointed in Lifeforce. Especially considering how old you would have been at the time.

"Aww, I wanted a movie about a NES shooter, not one where Mathilda May is naked for 80% of it"

I saw like five minutes of it on TV and not one second was about space ships blowing up Moai heads. Just boring people talking about boring things in a boring hallway.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
You quit too early. Minute 6 probably had boobs.

On TV? Not likely, son. I know you kids these day with your Game of Thrones think TV is all boobs and schlongs, but back in my day we were just glad Standards & Practices didn't make ladies cover their navels anymore.

Bob Mackey sharing the Laser Time love towards the end of this episode.

Here are the specific podcasts that Bob Servo appears in:

Laser Time - Psy-Crow Nauts

Laser Time - Dubya Bee

VGMpire - Best of the Best

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Retronauts/Laser Time cross pollination sounds like a good thing. I love both casts.

I know I'm asking for the impossible, but I hope the inevitable Final Fantasy VIII episode has Shane on it. And, if he can't be on that episode, I hope they don't record it.

BTW, it is nice to have more Retronauts.

AColdDay

Guys, Jeremy tweeted this out a few days ago

BQNC5c5CcAAc94Z.jpg

Probably not for 2 more weeks, but the return of Sharkey is confirmed!

So incredibly pumped for this. Can't wait to hear from Sharkey! I wish he would Kickstart a podcast or something. The internet is diminished when we aren't hearing from that guy on a regular basis.

IrishNinja

out of curiosity, do you guys have the twitter links for the retronauts gang? old and new, i think Parish is the only one i currently follow

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I listen to the GameLife podcast to get my dose of Kohler, but he definitely should consider make an appearance here every now and then.

krae_man

Jeremy, is there going to be anything Retronauts related at PAX? I'm going to guess there probably won't be a panel since you just did one at the Seattle Classic Gaming Expo and you wouldn't do 2 of your 3 travel panels in the same city a month apart. But are a bunch of you going to be at PAX anyway?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Holy crap...

This made me remember that I actually had that GamePlayers VHS tape with the Ninja Gaiden tips. Was that the same tape that had Bayou Billy on it?

Gloam

Ray really knocked it outta the park this episode. Liked the little audio clips a lot, the lighthearted tone was also welcome.

Curufinwe

For some reason the last two episodes of Retronauts are stuck on my iPod and they won't come off even though I've listened to them already.

Nm, I fixed it.

IrishNinja

Ray: rdb_aaa
Chris: kobunheat
Sharkey: EvilSharkey
Jenn Frank: jennatar
Shane: Shanewatch

thanks man!

Holy crap...

This made me remember that I actually had that GamePlayers VHS tape with the Ninja Gaiden tips. Was that the same tape that had Bayou Billy on it?

holy crap i totally used to rent those all the time from phar-mor in the day, now i gotta track em down online haha...i forget what was on what tape though

aett

Ray really knocked it outta the park this episode. Liked the little audio clips a lot, the lighthearted tone was also welcome.

I think Ray did a really great job as the host and the sound board was a nice touch. The only part that I didn't care for was Ray's faux-embarassment towards the audio clips - they were funny on their own, so having Ray respond to each one with "um, er, o-okay, Video" felt forced.

Each episode has been better than the last, honestly - it's great to see the cast get more comfortable with each recording session. I'm looking forward to each guy's next round of hosting.

Old Retronauts episodes have been keeping me company during work the past couple of days. How did I miss out on all this goodness back in the day? I just listened to the the two episodes about B-list JRPGs hosted by Bob and they were a great listen. I know I'll be searching ebay and PSN for some of the obscure titles I missed from PS1 and PS2.

Also, these new episodes have been awesome so far. I especially like the prog rock episode. I don't care if its not cool to admit you like the genre, Rush is one of my favorite bands.

Balb

Love the theme. I just wish they didn't record the episodes so far in advance. It's going to be weird to finally hear their take on Earthbound hitting VC....a month from now.

krae_man

I've been listening to old episodes of Retronauts while I play Hot Shots Golf and there is some funny stuff in there.

-Jeremy's enthusiasm for Microsoft's Game room
-Jeremy saying "oh is that that wrestling asshole?" during a random letter section is heartwarming
-I want a full podcast in toad voice
-Chris going from "those last two Virtual Boy games I need are expensive and I'm not sure I'm going to buy them" to caving.
-I completely forgot about "leave Roberta Williams alone!"

I enjoyed Ray getting a soundboard into this episode. Gave it a bit of a NoMoreWhoppers feel.

I didn't know about NMW, but just listened to the origin. I love that slightly "over-produced" feel to it. Sounds like This American Life or something. I'll never understand why more people don't put more time into their podcasts. HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast also does this with original tunes and stuff, I love it.

Nice shout out, will check out NMW.

I've been listening to old episodes of Retronauts while I play Hot Shots Golf and there is some funny stuff in there.

-Jeremy saying "oh is that that wrestling asshole?" during a random letter section is heartwarming
-Chris going from "those last two Virtual Boy games I need are expensive and I'm not sure I'm going to buy them" to caving.
I loved the whole Shane creepy love for Roberta Williams thing, it was amazing

And Parish needs to break out the voices more often, he has a talent for them. Needs more Kermit the Frog.

IrishNinja

ah, me too! was starting with the earliest ones & jumping around but i hadn't caught these bits yet...who is it with the japanese wii/access to JPN virtual console they keep ranking on? i forget. but yeah, shane, sharkey, jeremy & kohler are awesome.

krae_man

Retronauts Pocket Episode 3: NES Accessories

We know that the games are what makes retro game appreciation, but for many of us, it wasn’t entirely the games that made an impression, but what we played them with. After all, monstrosities like R.O.B. and the Power Glove became much-discussed parts of NES history, though relatively few people actually owned them. On that note, this episode of Retronauts Pocket touches on NES accessories, with a focus on controllers or other direct-input peripherals such as the NES Advantage, NES Max, Power Pad, Acclaim’s wireless controllers, and several more. Of course, we couldn’t talk about everything (it’s Retronauts Pocket, after all), but hopefully we helped jog your memory a little. Thanks for listening, and look forward to more accessory episodes when I take the helm again.

Direct download (MP3) | SoundCloud | RSS
Find us on the iTunes Store and leave a nice review!

Supplemental viewing

Jarnet87

Retronauts Special #1 Live from Seattle Retro Gaming Expo is up. Regular episodes will be back next week with a retrospect on Atari, and "an old friend will make his triumphant return to the show"

The return of Sharky confirmed?!?!?

mattp

I thought the first questioner was Shawn Elliott punking everyone >_>

man, that first one
you could almost hear the regret in the retronaut's guy's setting in. flashbacks to the call-in retronauts episodes flooding over them

BearChair

aww, they were nice and didn't call out the audience member who said Gex was on the Jaguar.

It seems like all three guys, though especially Ray, are learning to deal with having a paying audience and balancing being themselves and giving the audience what they want. It was pretty clear that a good portion of the people in the room were Kickstarter backers, and the guys knew it. It is not that Bob, Jeremy or Ray are rude people anyway, but they seemed to be stepping on egg shells a little.

The podcasts have been completely different. I wish they were recorded a little closer to release so that the news was more prescient, but otherwise they are great. They are hitting topics that other retrogaming-focused places have not. I am especially looking forward to Bob's upcoming Atari episode and the return of Sharkey.

As another example, Ray had some microphone issues with his Monochrome Mondays stream on Twitch last night and tweeted afterwards "Please try to rein in the teasing when I screwup a stream. I know what the problem is and I'm hard enough on myself as it is." and later on clarified "It's not that, it's people thinking I'm their buddy."

I'm sure its something that they will come around to. They are all smart guys. It's just teething problems. I fully plan to back the podcast again next year if there is another Kickstarter.

IrishNinja

I'm sure its something that they will come around to. They are all smart guys. It's just teething problems. I fully plan to back the podcast again next year if there is another Kickstarter.

+1 though im sad i didn't make it in time to support this last go-around, love these guys and it'd be great to have a t-shirt as well, heh

Curufinwe

They were probably a little optimistic with when they would be able to get the physical rewards done. I pledged $30 to get the DVD and July has come and gone, but so long as it comes some time in 2013 then that's fine with me.

Top Bottom