• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Kosmo

Banned
Interesting point I've been getting minor cuts with feathers but I put it down to inexperience. What would be the next blade down from feathers?

Are you making long strokes? I use the Feather's with no problem, the key being just taking 4-5 short 1-1½ strokes.

Giard

Are you making long strokes? I use the Feather's with no problem, the key being just taking 4-5 short 1-1½ strokes.
I use short strokes and I still get a few nicks and cuts on my neck. I'm gonna try them out with a less aggressive razor to see if it still happens.

What razors were you guys using with the Feathers?
Feather blades are some of the most loved, but also some of the most hated blades, so don't chalk it up only to inexperience.

Kosmo

Banned
I use short strokes and I still get a few nicks and cuts on my neck. I'm gonna try them out with a less aggressive razor to see if it still happens.

What razors were you guys using with the Feathers?
Feather blades are some of the most loved, but also some of the most hated blades, so don't chalk it up only to inexperience.

I have the Merkur 178 (also called the 34C). just make sure you are going with the grain. I've only had one nick and that was from getting aggressive and going against the grain in one area. Fortunately I don't have a thick beard can can pretty much just do a once over without having to do a second across the grain or third against the grain shave.

Giard

I have the Merkur 178 (also called the 34C). just make sure you are going with the grain. I've only had one nick and that was from getting aggressive and going against the grain in one area. Fortunately I don't have a thick beard can can pretty much just do a once over without having to do a second across the grain or third against the grain shave.
I'm using the 38C, but I have a really thick beard. I have to go against the grain if I want to look clean, and the only blade that nicks/cuts me a lot is the Feather, especially on the neck.

The 34C is a more forgiving razor than the 38C, so that might help as well.

I can't get a close shave for shit. No matter what I use. I've walked into job interviews and they've remarked on my facial hair and I always reply, "I just shaved before this interview." I have a perpetual five o'clock shadow.

I am tempted to get in on this. I saw the first post and this page, and this has probably been covered extensively in 7 pages but here are my questions:

1) Would you use this to shave your head? Looks dangerous and I already cut myself somewhat with a Mach3.

and

2) What is wrong with shaving in the shower? (Saw some comments implying that)

1) Would you use this to shave your head? Looks dangerous and I already cut myself somewhat with a Mach3.

1) I'd probably use this: http://www.headblade.com/ or "Dovo/Merkur Striglia" with mach3 blades.

I got my Merkur 34C in. Is the head of it supposed to be perfectly straight or bent slightly?
The 34c is straight. Only some Merkurs are slant, like the 37c or 39c:
TnFFD.jpg

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/39837-Merkur-39C-Slant-Sledgehammer

clav

Noticing I get better shaves if I rest my face for a few days in between shaves.

Anyone not shave every day?

Giard

Noticing I get better shaves if I rest my face for a few days in between shaves.

I shave once every two days. I should shave every day, but I'm lazy.
At least I shave more often then when I had my Fusion, which was about once a week. Lazy + boring thing is not a good combination.

Usually people recommend that you don't let your hair grow too long in between shaves, because of tugging I guess.

XenoRaven

The 34c is straight. Only some Merkurs are slant, like the 37c or 39c:
TnFFD.jpg

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/39837-Merkur-39C-Slant-Sledgehammer
I could have sworn I ordered the 34C, but the picture you posted looks exactly like the one I have. What's the advantage/disadvantage to a slanted one?

Had my first shave this morning. It was different for sure. Took me a little bit more effort than I thought to get a lather going. I may try a cream next time instead of a soap. I didn't get as close as I wanted, but the YouTube guy said to be careful your first few times so I'm guessing it'll come with time. It wasn't some amazing experience (maybe that will come with time too) but it was a lot more comfortable and my face feels A TON better. Usually the skin on my face feels slightly irritated and is generally noticably hotter than my skin anywhere else for nearly the entire day after a shave. Right now it feels perfectly comfortable. Even more notable is there is no irritation on my neck at all. I'm definitely on board. I ordered a big razor sample pack so I'm going to be trying different razors. I may go for something a little more aggressive since I'm pretty careful and the hair on my face is pretty tough. Also I really liked the feel of the alum block. I could really feel the spots where I got a little too close. I felt it would dry out my face, and it did, but that was counteracted by the Nivea post shave balm that I already had lying around. This is going to be 100% awesome once I get a closer shave. Right now it's like 90% awesome.

Thanks for all the tips you guys. I'm totally on board.

Nice, welcome to the wonderful world of safety razor shaving.
Yeah, that's definitely no 34c. From what I've read the slanted ones are more aggressive and can potentially give you a closer shave. Basically it's the best choice for ppl. with less irritable skin and strong beards.

Red

Just used an alum block for the first time and oh my god it is like rubbing salt into an open wound. But it did make the bleeding stop.

When I first opened the package to my safety razor I thought, "that's it?" Like a horny 20 year old bringing home a guy from the bar and discovering he has a three inch dick. I wish it was a bit longer, but it works well enough.

On first trying to shave, I kept wondering how to angle it properly. I get a more consistently close shave with my Gillette fusion blades, but I assume that's because of inexperience.

I was shocked by how smooth the shave was. I nicked myself about six times, but never felt it, and never felt my hair get caught like it does with disposable blade razors (which feels less like shaving and more like plucking each hair out individually). So that's a HUGE plus.

Overall I'm happy I made the switch, so thanks GAF. But you should've warned me about the alum block. I was not prepared.

Oh, and how do you lather up the shaving soap? I bought a three pack of Col. Conk Bay Rum glycerin soap, and I tried applying it by wetting the shaving brush and whisking it over the soap's surface. But I never got it to approach anything resembling a lather. It was more like a glycerin-y smear.

ShaneB

I wish I could shave every other day.

I'm in this middle ground where my hair grows at a pace where 2 days is enough to make shaving annoying, and shaving every day being much easier and gentler knowing im not pulling the hairs. But my skin is so sensitive, shaving everyday feels like it's tearing up my face. (which I do contribute a little to the Feather blades, a little too much for my face)

Giard

Just used an alum block for the first time and oh my god it is like rubbing salt into an open wound. But it did make the bleeding stop.
Yeah, it can be surprising the first time. :p
After using it and rinsing my face with cold water though... my skin feels great and there's no more bleeding (if there was any).

Oh, and how do you lather up the shaving soap? I bought a three pack of Col. Conk Bay Rum glycerin soap, and I tried applying it by wetting the shaving brush and whisking it over the soap's surface. But I never got it to approach anything resembling a lather. It was more like a glycerin-y smear.
You probably didn't have enough soap on your brush, or too much water in your brush. Did you shake it a little before adding soap?

Red

You probably didn't have enough soap on your brush, or too much water in your brush. Did you shake it a little before adding soap?

Yes.

And I think I am getting a reaction to the alum block, because my entire neck is now covered in welts.

Suddenly this all seems like less of a good idea.

Giard

Yes.

And I think I am getting a reaction to the alum block, because my entire neck is now covered in welts.

Suddenly this all seems like less of a good idea.
Is it a reaction from the alum block, or razor burn? If it burned like a mofo, it might be irritation on your neck... did you shave against the grain?

Red

Is it a reaction from the alum block, or razor burn? If it burned like a mofo, it might be irritation on your neck... did you shave against the grain?

It's mostly gone down now, but it was much worse than what I usually get shaving. I went with the grain on my neck, then against it when the hair was gone to get a cleaner shave. It really did burn a whole lot when I rubbed the alum block on it, much worse than I was expecting. I've used tend skin before, and the burn was a lot more severe than that.

SUPREME1

Banned
It's mostly gone down now, but it was much worse than what I usually get shaving. I went with the grain on my neck, then against it when the hair was gone to get a cleaner shave. It really did burn a whole lot when I rubbed the alum block on it, much worse than I was expecting. I've used tend skin before, and the burn was a lot more severe than that.

Could just be your skin isn't used to such a close shave. No biggie I don't think.

Also, only use the alum block on specific spots when you need it. Don;t use it just for the sake iof using it. It will irritate the skin.

Giard

Considering that it was your first wet shaving experience, and that you shaved against the grain on the neck, your skin was probably really irritated. The alum block should not burn if the skin is not irritated...at least it doesn't on my skin. Your runny lather also probably didn't help.

mantic59's video on making lather might help you out: How To Build And Apply Traditional Shaving Lather

What razor and blades did you buy?

Red

What razor and blades did you buy?

This is the razor. I used a sample blade that came with it. I ordered a sample pack, and there was a pack of five included with the razor, but I used a single blade that was loose in the case. It was wrapped with a little slip of paper that said something like "try me out! you will be enthusiastic!"

Oh shit. HAHAHAHA!!!

That thing is meant to stop spot bleeding.

Live and learn bruh.

I was basically making the expression in my avatar the whole time.

Giard

Oh shit. HAHAHAHA!!!

That thing is meant to stop spot bleeding.

Live and learn bruh.
I rub it on my whole face and I have no problem.
Are you sure you're not thinking about styptic pencils?

This is the razor. I used a sample blade that came with it. I ordered a sample pack, and there was a pack of five included with the razor, but I used a single blade that was loose in the case. It was wrapped with a little slip of paper that said something like "try me out! you will be enthusiastic!"
Good razor, but the Merkur blades don't have a good reputation. Maybe after you're done with them, you'll find a blade that is better suited for your skin.

:lol

SUPREME1

Banned

I bet. The stinging goes away soon enough as well as the redness after a few minutes, depedning on how irritated it was. But yeah, use the alum block sparingly.

Dab/press it onto nicks, don't rub it in.

SUPREME1

Banned
I rub it on my whole face and I have no problem.
Are you sure you're not thinking about styptic pencils?

Wiki said:
Cosmetic

- Alum in block form (usually potassium alum) is used as a blood coagulant.

- Styptic pencils containing aluminium sulfate or potassium aluminium sulfate are used as astringents to prevent bleeding from small shaving cuts.

A soothing aftershave would probably do him a lot better when applying across his entire face, while using alum on specific spots where he might bleed.

Red

A soothing aftershave would probably do him a lot better when applying across his entire face, while using alum on specific spots where he might bleed.

I have pretty sensitive skin and need to be careful in general when using most skin products. I get allergic reactions to a lot of moisturizers, for instance, that cause my hands to turn red and dry out really badly. I expect that with alcohol-based solutions, but I wasn't really expecting it from potassium or whatever it is that makes up the alum block. It felt like salt on a wound, tough to describe it otherwise, and it left my whole neck puffy and red for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely keep them in mind for next time.

SUPREME1

Banned
I have pretty sensitive skin and need to be careful in general when using most skin products. I get allergic reactions to a lot of moisturizers, for instance, that cause my hands to turn red and dry out really badly. I expect that with alcohol-based solutions, but I wasn't really expecting it from potassium or whatever it is that makes up the alum block. It felt like salt on a wound, tough to describe it otherwise, and it left my whole neck puffy and red for a couple of hours.

Also remember that you will, from time to time, have a bad shave. It happens. Blades might not be sharp or your beard might not be ready for it. For instance: If I wet shave less than three days from my last wet shave, I'll butcher my neck... guaranteed.

Unique little things you learn over time.

Aside from my wet shaving stuff, I also have two electric razors (Braun/Panasonic) and a Gillette Sensor Excel... for the times I need a shave but don't have the time for a wet shave or if I need to tidy up but it's been less than three days from my last wet shave and don't want to bloody my neck.

I love wet shaves, nothing beats them... but sometimes I just can't do it.

Giard

If he has extremely sensitive skin, you're probably right...

This is what I found, first link on Google when searching for Alum Block:

Executive Shaving said:
An Alum Block is a crystal-like stone that is moistened with cold water and gently rubbed over the entire face to act as an antiseptic for razor burn. It can also help to stop bleeding of nicks and cuts. The Alum block also has antiseptic properties that not only cool and refresh the skin after shaving, but also act as a balm. Simply wet the block, apply to face, and then dry with towel.

See also styptic pencil which unlike the alum block is specifically used for individual cuts and nicks and is made from the alum block crystal, then its powdered form is concentrated into a stick.

So I don't think rubbing the alum block on your whole face is a bad thing, but if his skin reacted that badly to it, he might not want to try it again.

Esch

Banned

1520.jpg

My recommendation. It's unscented as well, which i like.

Laekon

I'm still really skeptical on trying this. People talking about bleeding, tearing up their skin, and taking 3 months to get a handle on it doesn't go well with them then saying it was their best shave ever. How is it so easy to cut yourself? Does everyone take months to be able to shave without doing damage or to find the right blade?

DasRaven

I'm still really skeptical on trying this. People talking about bleeding, tearing up their skin, and taking 3 months to get a handle on it doesn't go well with them then saying it was their best shave ever. How is it so easy to cut yourself? Does everyone take months to be able to shave without doing damage or to find the right blade?

You are pulling a bare blade against your skin, a bad angle or an odd curve and you will cut yourself.

That said, you can significantly reduce the chance of cutting yourself by proper preparation of the hairs and skin, being patient during your first few shaves, and getting rid of the idea that one swipe and all the hair should be gone. In wetshaving, the sharpness of the blade cuts the hair, not the pressure on the razor itself.

In my case, the only bleeding I got during my first few shaves were at the cheek-chin transition (too much pressure) and at the upper lip (odd angles).
Once I learned the shape of my face, those areas were never a problem again. That took less than 5 shaves.

Kosmo

Banned

I have not found it hard at all and had one nick in a week. Just make short 1" or so strokes , don't press the blade against your skin like you're cutting a steak, and you'll be fine.

Wubby

2) What is wrong with shaving in the shower? (Saw some comments implying that)

Personally I only shave in the shower. Get in, let the water run for a few minutes and rinse off and warm up the room (important in cold winter). Fill up the bowl with water and dump my mach 3 in it to warm up the blades. A dab of shampoo on the mirror keeps it from fogging. Turn off the water lather up, shave and I'm done. Water back on and shower as usual. My shaves are always baby smooth and I only replace the blade on my Mach 3 every 6 months or so. Never have any irritations and no need for an aftershave.

I also use an alum block on my whole face now and then apply Trumper's Skin Food. That process gives me the least irritation (and usually none at all).

The alum block stings like a bitch, but it's worth it.

h3ro

Just put my order in on a DE89, some Proraso shaving cream (sensitive skin) and a Van Der Hagen kit that comes with shaving mug, soap and badger brush as well as razor stand.

I'm sure the brush won't be the greatest, but I'm mainly going to be using it as a starter kit and I'll upgrade components as my needs change.

Really excited!

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just had my third shave (with "Rotbart" blades) - not a single cut/nick or anything. Fuck yeah.
But my lather sucks major balls. I cant really get a lot of creamy lather up and running.

Wellscha

That was the bloodiest shave I ever had, I stopped at my second pass :(

But it feels GOOD! :D this kind of shaving does have a bit of a learning curve though. Looking forward to my next shave. it does give me a sense of sophistication, I like it :)

zero_suit

That was the bloodiest shave I ever had, I stopped at my second pass :(

But it feels GOOD! :D this kind of shaving does have a bit of a learning curve though. Looking forward to my next shave. it does give me a sense of sophistication, I like it :)

Use less pressure!

Chittagong

Gold Member
My Mercur Futur kit arrived today, just in time for the weekend. Tomorrow I'll have a leisurely shave and test out my Truefitt and Hill samples.

iAt4G.jpg

Red

So what's the verdict on shaving creams vs shaving soaps? When I shaved yesterday I used a soap, but I also ordered a cream that so far remains untested. I couldn't get a lather going with the soap no matter how hard I tried, and I'm not sure if it is meant to work that way.

Top Bottom