• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone: DOOM on Switch will render the same both handheld and docked, at 720p

What they say is just annoying and confusing, are they using the extra gpu to keep the resolution closer to 720p? I wish they would be clear ffs.

Just tell us in a proper manner.

Not

Banned
The battery life is going to be twenty minutes, isn't it

You're gonna use your Switch to roast weenies

I'm not buying DOOM on the Switch to play it on the TV, I have the PS4 version for that. I'm buying the Switch version to play DOOM on the go. 720p isn't a deal breaker.

Same here. I have it on X1 for my tv. I'm buying it to play everywhere BUT there.

Clockwork5

I love these "that's pathetic" posts. This is essentially a tablet with a tablet chipset. It is actually fairly impressive.

Sizzel

720/30 is pretty crushing- unless Switch is viewed as a 3ds successor..in which case, it is awesome. Doom ran like a dream on PC. I don't know how the 30 fps will work with such a fast paced game. I am happy for peeps that are jazzed about this though, hopefully it is a great port.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Seemingly no difference between docked and undocked seems kinda baffling. You could do something with that extra power...

Wamb0wneD

They don't say it in there though.

720/30 is pretty crushing- unless Switch is viewed as a 3ds successor..in which case, it is awesome. Doom ran like a dream on PC. I don't know how the 30 fps will work with such a fast paced game. I am happy for peeps that are jazzed about this though, hopefully it is a great port.

720p on a 720p screen is completely fine, and so far the footage looks quite fluid.

Banned
Fine. I accept this. The switch is a fucking tablet and it's running an acceptable version of Doom 2016, my GOTY in 2016. This is Unreal.

I'm kinda confused at these reactions... We knew it was 30fps but most people seemed to assume it read sub native in handheld mode, even sub 540p. 720p in handheld mode would be excellent news and extremely impressive.

I'm guessing it's still dynamic resolution but if it maintains 720p more often then not that will line wonderful.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This means it will very rarely be 720p in handheld mode then considering the GPU is twice the speed when docked.

I hope Super Mario Odyssey isn't the same.

HyGogg

Banned
Why does everyone still think the Switch auto-downclocks when undocked? That was true of early dev kits but NEVER for released hardware, and yet people still talk about this like it's a thing constantly.

HyGogg

Banned
Has anyone noticed how Zelda runs worse when docked (on a 1080p TV) than in heandheld? That's because the GPU is running at the same exact speed either way.
I THINK YOU'RE WRONG

I think you haven't read anything since that article about the dev kits. While the switch is still CAPABLE of throttling down undocked and some games do, it's software controlled now and varies from title to title, rather than being automatic like in the dev kits. This is why when Nintendo unveiled the Switch they gave this huge range for battery life and said it "depends on the game."

I really don't think the portability factor is gonna sell with third party ports like this. PSP tried similarly to scale down console experiences but it didn't sell at all.

OmegaDL50

Well that's annoying. But if I'm getting Doom on the Switch it's not like I'm getting it to play docked, I'd be getting it for the portable factor. If I want graphics I can play the PC version.

Same for me.

I have a PC with a i7 6600k and 1070 GTX. I am primarily interested in DOOM on Switch for the on-the-go experience. I can't do the same thing with my PC with the comfort of the Switch's form factor.

720p with the Switch handheld form factor is a reasonable ppi

720p for undocked sounds absolutely fantastic! But I don't get why there can't be any boost in docked..I mean I know the XB1 version ran only at 900p but that was targeting 60 fps. Shouldn't this be able to reach something similar at 30 fps?

Edit: I meant undocked

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
My tv is 720p so it doesn't really matter muxh to me anyways but this either means that its to lock it at 720p or they aren't taking advantage of dock mode

Plum

I really don't think the portability factor is gonna sell with third party ports like this. PSP tried similarly to scale down console experiences but it didn't sell at all.

What big budget PS3/360 AAA titles appeared on PSP? DOOM on the Switch and the PSP's high number of watered down 'portable versions' are nothing alike.

Top Bottom