• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan to direct WWII film "Dunkirk", shot in IMAX 65mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this can go some way to redressing the idea of the French as nothing more than "cheese eating surrender monkeys" during WW2 - the French army fought bitterly against overwhelming odds to ensure hundreds of thousands of British soldiers could escape, my Grandfather among them. He would rarely talk of Dunkirk, it was his most harrowing memory of the war and he'd always get emotional whenever it was brought up.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
There's a possibility that this might not be a "normal" WW2 movie, and some other concept might be involved.

i imagine it'll be through the perspective of one of the hundreds of civilians who took a glorified dinghy over the channel into a warzone to rescue their countrymen.

it's a subject too close to heart of the national consciousness to pull any tacky inglorious basterds bollocks.

Jezbollah

So are there any kind of teaching of World War II before Pearl Harbour in the 'States?

Tip for those who don't know about Dunkirk: Watch "The World At War".

Dunkirk (!) plus Nolan has me hyped right from the get go. Can't figure out if I want to follow pre-production news closely or try to black out everything up to and maybe including trailers? Yarg.

FZZ

Banned
I get you, movies need more diversity. This movie is set in the past though and what you're asking, you already know makes no sense.

Yeah I know, I think people might be misconstruing my post as something like "fuck white people" when in reality I just wanted a more diverse cast from Nolan, and that will be pretty difficult to do in a movie set in 1940's Europe for obvious reasons.

Still going to watch it most likely.

America!!! Fuck yeah!!!

....so wtf is dunkirk tho?

The Germans drove the French and British out of France and the evacuation of those French and British was done the military and, most notably, hundreds of civilian craft as the battered remains of the once mighty French army fought to delay the German advance. It was basically a small victory snatched from the jaws of a massive, embarrassing defeat.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So are there any kind of teaching of World War II before Pearl Harbour in the 'States?

I went to high school in the u.s and didnt know anything about Dunkrik until I watched Atonement.

So no.

No american involvement might hurt the movie's chances at the box office too.

Hopefully this can go some way to redressing the idea of the French as nothing more than "cheese eating surrender monkeys" during WW2 - the French army fought bitterly against overwhelming odds to ensure hundreds of thousands of British soldiers could escape, my Grandfather among them. He would rarely talk of Dunkirk, it was his most harrowing memory of the war and he'd always get emotional whenever it was brought up.

There's no doubt plenty of tales of courage and sacrifice to tell about this chapter of the war. It will be interesting to see how well a war film in which the Germans essentially win will play.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

i think you'd have to start further back than that. most of them probably barely aware that there was a world war before the second one and just think that it's like star wars episode iv and they haven't made the prequel yet.

utterly cringe-worthy shit. it's not that they're dumb as rocks, it's that they beat their chest and shout about it.

Nobility

Banned
I'm all in.

That being said, very odd for this to be a summer movie.

Should be interesting to see how WB convinces audiences this is the must see movie of the summer besides the fact "A film by Christopher Nolan".

Toa TAK

Banned

Like anywhere else, it ultimately just depends on the teachers themselves. I learned about it, but I can't imagine that it's "required reading" in history classes in the US throughout High School. I don't recall having this brought up in World History courses, either. Even in college.
Especially when looking at WWII, there is just so MUCH shit to it in almost any aspect of the war, anywhere on the planet. It's crazy.

Firemind

fuck me, this thread.

sad state of affairs. don't know about one of the most significant events in world war two, but can list every store that is quick to stock limited edition amiibos within a ten mile radius.
Significant huh

Battle of Stalingrad was the turning point in the war.

Or, if you want to keep it on the Western front, there's the Battle of Verdun.

Basically, I want to see the gruesome side of war.

marrec

Banned
Significant huh

Dunkirk was extremely significant to the Western front.

tass0

Banned
Don't know how I feel about this

Not gonna lie first thought I got from this was "White people the movie: War time"

Maybe Nolan can surprise me with a diverse cast somehow even though it is set in 1940s Europe...

I didn't know racism was openly accepted on GAF.

Get out of here you racist jerk.

XOMTOR

Who is Michael Caine going to play

Lord Nolan-sama show us the way

Wow, took the words right out of my mouth.

Seriously, I like most of Nolan's stuff (except Interstellar) and WWII period pieces so color me interested.

Snaku

Banned
Just saw a redneck walk into my store wearing a shirt with an American flag on it, and the words, "Back-to-Back World War Champions," blazing across it.

Doubt he'll be interested in this film.

jelly

Has he learned how to shoot action scenes yet?

I like some Nolan films but I don't feel he has the attention to detail to make the most dramatic and cohesive action scenes. The drama could go either way.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Significant huh

i'd love to them too, but neither of those diminish how important dunkirk was. without it, britain is out the war and is under nazi occupation. without britain the allies have no staging post for even the threat of invasion and america would've either stayed out altogether or been limited to a pacific war. which would have led to either a nazi controlled europe, a soviet controlled europe or one split between the two.

on verdun: WWI hasn't been done justice since the original all quiet on the western front. but most in this thread would sooner want to see another c-tier superhero reboot than revisit a genre classic.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Michael Caine will play Wise Old Nolan Man™, obviously.

he will definitely be a simple bloke from kent sailing his dinghy over.

Just saw a redneck walk into my store wearing a shirt with an American flag on it, and the words, "Back-to-Back World War Champions," blazing across it.

Doubt he'll be interested in this film.

he probably posted in this thread.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Please stop trying to insult all Americans, I'm American and know fully well what Dunkirk is. Not everyone paid attention during history class, this isn't an American thing.

Is Christopher Nolan generally considered a good director?

Watch a few of his films and decide yourself, you don't need to base your opinion around what others think.

I think all of his films are atleast enjoyable with a handful being my favorite films (prestige, memento, the dark knight), though he reuses a lot of supporting actors for his films. I can't image anyone calling him outright bad, he's clearly talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom