• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

VanWinkle

Not fair comparison

Some of these games such as Driveclub and Need for Speed are running at 30fps, and some like Forza 5 and Mario Kart 8 are running at 60fps.

This is important as 60fps take roughly 2x the processing power as 30fps, so games running at 30fps can afford to put in better lighting, better environmental effects, better draw distance, and more detailed car models as they have more GPU time to draw up each frame.

Also NFS and Forza 5 are launch titles, so they theoretically didn't have as much time to optimize the game or engine for the console as Mario Kart 8 and Driveclub have.

It's not that serious. People are just comparing graphics. It's fun. everyone knows MK8 and Forza 5 are 60fps.

GHG

No it really doesn't. Project Cars barely looks better than Forza and I'm not talking about staged screenshots. Go actually play the latest build on PC and you'll see that it clearly doesn't look better. Not even close.

Wow what?

I'll make some GIFs from my gameplay vids later.

Gestault

Wow what?

I'll make some GIFs from my gameplay vids later.

I'm looking forward to it. Any chance you could swing some WebMs? My cpu at work can't really keep up, but I know others have been...enthusiastic about getting more.

I know there have been improvements, but as of the last rounds of real comparisons I've seen (end of last year) they were so close I could understand a nod to Forza 5. And that was between PC and XB1. It can be tricky comparing a title in development with one that launched half a year ago.

NFS looks really nice, I've never even bothered watching a video of it before.

I just grabbed the PS4 version, when I get into a real playthrough of it, I'll try to upload some screencaps using the USB output in the newer update.

I just grabbed the PS4 version, when I get into a real playthrough of it, I'll try to upload some screencaps using the USB output in the newer update.

Yeah that'll be nice.

It's got a kind of hazy dreamy look to it vs DC realistic visuals but I kind of like it, wonder which way Horizon 2 will swing?

p3tran

Banned
NFS looks really nice, I've never even bothered watching a video of it before.
its good cops and racers game with powerups. I bet your son will have fun playing the cop and calling road blocks and choppers by voice :)
I think you will easily get 20 maybe 30 hours of fun out of it, so keep it in mind for a sale or something. all your wheels do nothing on this game though :) joypad only
here are more videos (again with the same low quality)
http://xboxclips.com/search.php?s=Need for Speed Rivals

edit: also, the only nextgen porsche cars available yet are there :)

No it really doesn't. Project Cars barely looks better than Forza and I'm not talking about staged screenshots. Go actually play the latest build on PC and you'll see that it clearly doesn't look better. Not even close.

But I've been a backer for almost two years now. By all means, you'll have to show me where these "barely better than Forza" screens are, because they certainly haven't graved my UltraSharp in the past year.

PSYGN

I honestly believe F5, Driveclub, NFS and PC look pretty close to each other. If DC ran at 60fps it'd be an easy winner, but it doesn't. And those direct-feed shots released today are so fucking far away from Evolution's bullshots, it's kinda sad.

That surely is some other racer titled Driveclub.

That's a definite downgrade. Game still looks great, though.

p3tran

Banned
guys, guys, guys.... if you have both games (forza 5 and nfs rivals) and play them back to back, or even simultaneously (nfs on ps4 - forza 5 on xbone), there is not a chance in hell you will give better marks to nfs than forza.
forza looks and feels so much more alive, crisp etc etc.

now, if you are only judging by gifs and webms and crappy youtube videos (that display forza as a blurry shit at half its framerate or less), heh.. then i suggest you start reserving judgments until further notice. ;)

that being said, nfs looks very good, as I originally said. and was a multiplat day1 effort too. 8)

@drugstore, if/when you pick it up, shoot me a msg and we go cop patrol for a laugh.
basically its a cross between forza and pacman in the woods, so you're good :D

Majanew

Banned
guys, guys, guys.... if you have both games (forza 5 and nfs rivals) and play them back to back, or even simultaneously (nfs on ps4 - forza 5 on xbone), there is not a chance in hell you will give better marks to nfs than forza.

now, if you are only judging by gifs and webms and crappy youtube videos (that display forza as a blurry shit at half its framerate or less), heh.. then i suggest you start reserving judgments until further notice. ;)

that being said, nfs looks very good, as I originally said. and was a multiplat day1 effort too. 8)

@drugstore, if/when you pick it up, shoot me a msg and we go cop patrol for a laugh.
Yeah, I've played both. Some of the people that bash Forza 5's visuals haven't even played the game. They've just seen compressed Youtube/webm footage.

Cygnus

Banned
Man Project CARS is getting a lot of backlash on Gaf. While I do think Driveclub has superior lighting, after seeing the PNG shots of Driveclub earlier its clear the textures are much inferior to CARS, as are the vehicle poly count (although that's not too important). And don't forget about the much superior IQ and framerate possible on PC. It's not fair to base footage off of Youtube videos, seek at least Gamersyde footage or PNG screen shots before making comparisons.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah, I've played both. Some of the people that bash Forza 5's visuals haven't even played the game. They've just seen compressed Youtube/webm footage.

What a lazy way to dismiss people without actually having to follow up on it. Forza 5 does not look that great and has major aliasing issues.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man Project CARS is getting a lot of backlash on Gaf. While I do think Driveclub has superior lighting, after seeing the PNG shots of Driveclub earlier its clear the textures are much inferior to CARS, as are the vehicle poly count (although that's not too important). And don't forget about the much superior IQ and framerate possible on PC. It's not fair to base footage off of Youtube videos, seek at least Gamersyde footage or PNG screen shots before making comparisons.

I'm going to happily play both on PS4 as long as logitech wheel support comes. Otherwise I'll happily play PCars on PC and driveclub on PS4

Pop into the PC screenshot thread and search of PCars and tell me if a PS4 could reproduce that in its wildest dreams. Go ahead, I'll wait.

I post screenshots in the PC thread myself as well. Why dont you point me to those screens, they have to be during gameplay, no photo mode. PCars doesn't even come close to Driveclub.

VanWinkle

I think you're noticing the 60fps improvement over 30fps rather than the graphical fidelity.

TheCloser

Banned
But I've been a backer for almost two years now. By all means, you'll have to show me where these "barely better than Forza" screens are, because they certainly haven't graved my UltraSharp in the past year.

Sorry, the term barely better than forza is not accurate because it has better image quality and it looks better in general but its not better looking than driveclub. Not even close. Heres an image i grabbed of dualshockers in their staged vs actual gameplay article:
ProjectCARS-51.png

It looks good but it is in no way better than driveclub. Like not even close. Its hard to compare though because PCars' tracks are mostly circuit tracks while driveclub has more point to point tracks so the scenery is different. The lighting in driveclub can't be beat though and thats what makes it stand out.

I know PCars is crowd funded so it really doesn't have that triple A budget that driveclub has. One cannot expect a crowd funded game to compete with a triple A game in production values.

Cygnus

Banned
it is not a backlash if people think some other game might look better.... i have heard only great things about pcars on gaf.

I've noticed quite a lot of posts recently stating Pcars looking and playing like crap, I know its hyperbole but I never noticed it until recently is all, maybe I'm mistaken.

Sorry, the term barely better than forza is not accurate because it has better image quality and it looks better in general but its not better looking than driveclub. Not even close. Heres an image i grabbed of dualshockers in their staged vs actual gameplay article:

It looks good but it is in no way better than driveclub. Like not even close. Its hard to compare though because PCars' tracks are mostly circuit tracks while driveclub has more point to point tracks so the scenery is different. The lighting in driveclub can't be beat though and thats what makes it stand out.

Pcars looks at its worst in pure sunlight like that picture, as most racing games do, most of the impressive Driveclub gifs i've seen are in overcast conditions, try to find some Pcars shots in similar weather as would be a better comparison.

Azure/California coast, night-time + rain have got you covered.
Not when it comes to environment detail. Hell, even lighting looks better(to me) in DC. The car models are on par, or slightly better, in PCars though.
Pointless comparing environment detail at this point when A.) PCars is heavily skewed in favour of rather barren circuit and B.) the circuits aren't even finished yet (in either?).
Pngs are better. Tiny gifs are really only good for first looks and motion, not IQ.

Max quality jpegs are better still.

TheCloser

Banned
I've noticed quite a lot of posts recently stating Pcars looking and playing like crap, I know its hyperbole but I never noticed it until recently is all, maybe I'm mistaken.

Pcars looks at its worst in pure sunlight like that picture, as most racing games do, most of the impressive Driveclub gifs i've seen are in overcast conditions, try to find some Pcars shots in similar weather as would be a better comparison.

Here's another image in the rain:

It just looks cartoonish and heres another one:

TheCloser

Banned
Azure/California coast, night-time + rain have got you covered.

Pointless comparing environment detail at this point when A.) PCars is heavily skewed in favour of rather barren circuit and B.) the circuits aren't even finished yet (in either?).

Max quality jpegs are better still.

So one track on one setting? My point is that driveclub looks good all the time regardless of the settings because everything is dynamic. A lot of work has gone into the game and we are seeing graphical effects that we haven't seen in other racing games before. It is the best looking racing game in the history of racing games to date.

TyrantII

Dem last gen wall of cardboard trees!

Way I see it is project cars has a lead on textures and car Poly's. Preformance and resolution is mute because its all up to you and your rig, its pay to gaze.

Driveclub does seem to have better lighting due "next gen" systems (GI/volemetric effects) and there's a hell of a lot more thought going into their tracks to make them feel real vs approximations.

PCars sort of has a handicap there since they use real tracks and have to optimize around that vs DC that can totally redesign a track not working around their performance limitations. You can't exactly just move Nurburgring because there's too many buildings, trees and a long view distance tight when the track reverse back towards itself.

That said PCars does need to beef up the track visuals to make it feel more organic. The cars are excellent, but DC is doing a good job where other racers haven't focused, and that's the tracks and the immersive ability better visuals there bring about.

TheCloser

Banned
Those you linked also look dodgy due to a lighting bug, see the two I just took on Suzuke with ref lighting turned on and off:

Well they're point to point scenic routes that could be everything from bone dry to thunderstorm in one sitting.

See these look better but its still nothing special. The only thing that looks good is the car, rain and the grass. Everything else looks subpar. Back to the previous image i posted:
c0ngrod.jpg

If we ignore the lighting, wtf is that shit on the left? Did they run out of polygons? Project Cars is littered with things like this. The level of detail isn't there, the lighting isn't as good as driveclub. The reflections aren't as good. Driveclub is just in another class and only racing games with triple A budgets will surpass it. They have the money and manpower to pay attention to details.

RetroStu

Banned
J

Need for Speed Rivals was the first next (current) gen racer I played and loved it the animations felt smooth and had no input faults whats so ever. Fastward to me getting an Xbox One just for Forza I felt that cartoony feel again of what 60fps looks like. Not sure about you guys but real life doesn't look like 60fps and to be honest doesn't do anything for me for racing games.

You guys like to take the piss out of the people who say they can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p when they are sat a few feet away from their tv's but this beauty is right up there with that statement. 60fps doesn't look like real life so i prefer 30fps, amazing.

By the way, Drive Club is the best looking racer, in fact i'd say it would be the best looking game period if it was 60fps. Project cars, i don't get the hype, it looks barely better than Forza 5 imo IN MOTION, it looks good in screenshots.
Rivals looks terrible imo, just a blurry and jerky mess.

theWB27

Basically what theCloser is saying is there's nothing you can show that's going to convince him/her that there is anything any other racer does that touches anything DC does. Pack it in....

Basically what theCloser is saying is there's nothing you can show that's going to convince him/her that there is anything any other racer does that touches anything DC does. Pack it in....

Pretty much. Let's ignore the questionable ground textures and 2D crowds as the rollercoaster on the straight of the 'Ring's GP circuit is the biggest quagmire tog race the Earth.

TheCloser

Banned

No thats not what i'm saying and what a load of nonsense for suggesting such a thing. There's is no single piece of evidence that supports the claim that Project Cars is better looking than driveclub. All we've seen is a game that only looks really good when its raining. The cars look good but the thats about it. The environments are poor. Seriously 2d trees in a 2014 pc game? seriously? This is what PC gamers are supposed to be excited about especially after seeing other games in other genres do better? Smh.

Look, i applaud project cars devs for their efforts. They had x amount of money to spend and they are making the best game possible with that amount of money. I'm sure if they were bankrolled by a publisher, the game would look better. They are also releasing the game on multiple platforms so that spreads their resources. Driveclub is only coming to one platform.

How can you expect a multiplatform game to look better than an exclusive?

TheCloser

Banned
Pretty much. Let's ignore the questionable ground textures and 2D crowds as the rollercoaster on the straight of the 'Ring's GP circuit is the biggest quagmire tog race the Earth.

I didn't point those out because i thought they were obvious. I mean, we've been talking about this for a while now.....

Nafai1123

Banned
You think? I think this is the most impressive drive club video released thus far lighting wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tukq2e17sw

Oh I agree, but it's parts like this that are most impressive to me.

StFyYLk.png

Just the consistency of shadows/reflections in relation to the sun, the dirt on the windshield, the reflection of the dash, etc are all extremely impressive and nothing I've seen in any other racing games. Now if you're talking mid-day sun I would agree that's generally less impressive, but that's because mid-day sun lighting is pretty boring in real life.

RetroStu

Banned
Also Project Cars is 60fps on Next Gen consoles (well PS4 anyway as it has Morpheus support) and i maybe wrong here but didn't the devs say the console versions would be the same as the PC version on very high?. It would suggest that Drive Club is doing a lot more with its graphics.

I didn't point those out because i thought they were obvious. I mean, we've been talking about this for a while now.....
So what because they've been called out they're suddenly not important?

There's also the video a few pages back with PCars dynamic day/night and weather cycle, yet instead you make comments like this:
driveclub looks good all the time regardless of the settings because everything is dynamic.
Because it isn't dynamic in PCars, right? Does DC have destruction (mechanical/visual) and punctures too?

These claims of PCars being the best are interesting too given we haven't got the wealth of media that we have with PCars.

Top Bottom