• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

Yall should come to the Halo 4 LAN party I'm throwing!

Saturday, November 10
4pm - 8pm
Guardian Games : 303 SE 3rd Avenue

This is the first LAN I've ever organized, so don't expect nothing too fancy. I want to build momentum, get a solid following, and eventually do some more ambitious events, though! I have zero gamer friends in Portland, so I'd really appreciate if yall could help spread the word.

Here's the Facebook Event, and here's a tweet you can repost. <3

Edit : Hah, top of the page. That's convenient. ;-)
This sounds awesome.

Yall should come to the Halo 4 LAN party I'm throwing!

Saturday, November 10
4pm - 8pm
Guardian Games : 303 SE 3rd Avenue

This is the first LAN I've ever organized, so don't expect nothing too fancy. I want to build momentum, get a solid following, and eventually do some more ambitious events, though! I have zero gamer friends in Portland, so I'd really appreciate if yall could help spread the word.

Here's the Facebook Event, and here's a tweet you can repost. <3

Edit : Hah, top of the page. That's convenient. ;-)

Gonna try to make this. SE is easy to get to from here.

Oh god dammit. I've wanted to do a Portland meetup for years. So many cool gaffers in Portland.

Couldn't have made it anyway, in Astoria all weekend. Ah well. Subbed to thread though!

Piggus

I haven't been to Portland in a depressingly long time. Such an amazing city. It's about a five hour drive from the other side of the state though. :(

If a good job opportunity comes up in Portland after I graduate I'll take it in an instant.

Hey all.

I'm from here. In fact, one of the only people left here who was born here.

Some additions to the OP that I feel are lacking:

The best breakfasts (and this city is fucking ridiculous about their goddamn breakfasts) can be found at locations such as:

Gravy

Miss Delta (right across the street from Gravy, as a matter of fact)
The Tin Shed
Arleta Library Cafe
Bar Carlo

There are many more great breakfast spots, so good there's a book about them. Although I would advise against trying to go to breakfast at the Screen Door. 1) the shit is overrated 2) there's so many good alternative breakfast spots that there's no way their grub is worth the 60-90 minute wait some people endure just to get inside and have some chicken & waffles.

The OP features only one Food Cart in a city that's been featured on multiple television programs for the abundance/quality of their food carts. Koi Fusion is fucking great, no doubt, but damn, man:

Big-Ass Sandwiches
Potato Champion
Whiffies
Grilled Cheese Grill
FlavourSpot

Also, if you love beer - there are three spots you need to hit up to find the best when it comes to grabbing up bombers of high-octane beer snobbery:

Beaumont Market
John's Marketplace
Belmont Station

If you're a video game nerd, not only is Ground Kontrol like fucking heaven, but there's a couple other retail locations that will make life worth living in the Portland Area

Video Game Wizards
CD/Game Exchange
Game Trader

Plus, the annual Retro Gaming Expo, one of the biggest in the country. This year featured a 20,000 square foot MEGACADE featuring HUNDREDS of old cabs. It also hosted this year's Tetris World Championships.

So far as festivals go, there's the Stumptown Comics Festival, one of the better known indie-comics fests on the West Coast, primarily because it seems a good 2/3rd of the Comics industry lives here, which makes events like Comics Underground all the more fun to attend, because it's you, crammed into a tiny bar, watching Eisner Award-winners doing odd combinations of stand-up, presentation, and speech all at once while you get lit up off cheap drinks and good bar food.

There's also Bridgetown Comedy Festival, which has quickly become the comedy festival that comedians most look forward to. Basically, if you've ever downloaded a comedy podcast on iTunes, the person/people hosting it have made sure to clear room on their schedule to attend the Bridgetown Comedy Fest.

And speaking of podcasts - aside from maybe LA or NY, Portland probably has, per-capita, more podcasts flying out of it than any other city.

Also - Portland isn't like "Portlandia." At least not as a whole. Sure, there's a couple sections of Portland (the Pearl, Hawthorne) that are Portlandia-ish, but Portland is interesting in that there's a good chunk of the city that's all scarved up and bearded to hell, but about 60% percent of the population is completely ignored once you go a couple blocks east of 82nd Ave. It's also a city that has a REALLY fucked-up history regarding race and inclusion, and that doesn't get talked about/dealt with very often.

But a good 85% of us using public transit still thank the bus driver every time we get on or get off at a stop. We're also one of the only states where you can't pump your own gas, and we don't have a sales tax.

Clackamas and Beaverton are not Portland. Portland doesn't like considering them as such, and they don't want Portland encroaching on their suburban empires.

We also keep putting rice all up in our burritos even though we know we're not supposed to do that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My first time meeting GAFers in real life! Somewhat surreal, and only a little awkward. I hadn't payed attention to this thread after I posted, and I had no idea GAFers were planning on showing up, haha. I'd love to see the rest of yall there next time! Or we could have a non-Halo meet-up sometime?

I'm actually throwing a second Halo LAN at Portland State in a couple of days : https://www.facebook.com/events/367048193384968/. This one's free! If you're not familiar with the PSU campus, I'd recommend showing up early. We'll be having a regularly scheduled LAN at Guardian Games again in December. The exact date should be nailed down within a few days.

I'm from here. In fact, one of the only people left here who was born here.
I'm born and raised in Portland, too. We're definitely outnumbered by the transplants these days.

Doombear

Oh man, Retro Gaming Expo this year was a blast, wasn't it Fatboy? And Bar Carlo? My favorite spot in town. Love those folks.

Also, Bendis riding around with his child passenger trailer on his bike, with stacks of books in there is always fun to see. That guy is great. Always love chatting with him at shows.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanted to go the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this year, but it was at the very end of September, and I had to pack + move to my new house. I was pretty bummed.

Oh man, Retro Gaming Expo this year was a blast, wasn't it Fatboy? And Bar Carlo? My favorite spot in town. Love those folks.

Also, Bendis riding around with his child passenger trailer on his bike, with stacks of books in there is always fun to see. That guy is great. Always love chatting with him at shows.

Bendis is great: Came from Cleveland, set up shop in Portland, and now he's pretty much the single most consistent writer Marvel's had (and has been for like, a decade now). He's been teaching Comics classes at Portland State University the past couple years, and will sometimes swing by Excalibur Comics, tweet that he's there, and give his comp issues to whatever fans drop by.

The comics shops here? Man. Portland is spoiled. We got Things From Another World, (Eisner nominated this year for best retail shop) Bridge City Comics (Eisner nominated two years in a row for best retail shop) Excalibur Comics (Bendis Tested, Fraction Approved) Cosmic Monkey Comics (aesthetically awesome - for a lot of nerds, the ideal comics store) - a lot of cities barely have ONE good-to-decent comics shop.

The retro gaming expo this year was probably the biggest/best it's ever been. Although it took all of 3 hours on the first day for someone to knock the sit down Star Wars cab out of order.

I don't play Halo at all but I will come for the gaf.

Well I'm not going outside

Heh. Some people just watched. Liu and Kittens got to see me be OCD with starbursts.

My first time meeting GAFers in real life! Somewhat surreal, and only a little awkward. I hadn't payed attention to this thread after I posted, and I had no idea GAFers were planning on showing up, haha. I'd love to see the rest of yall there next time! Or we could have a non-Halo meet-up sometime?

I'm actually throwing a second Halo LAN at Portland State in a couple of days : https://www.facebook.com/events/367048193384968/. This one's free! If you're not familiar with the PSU campus, I'd recommend showing up early. We'll be having a regularly scheduled LAN at Guardian Games again in December. The exact date should be nailed down within a few days.

I'm born and raised in Portland, too. We're definitely outnumbered by the transplants these days.

Wed? If TD manages to have that day off (he usually does) I might be able to bring him, on a leash.

sikkinixx

Hey Portland GAF, my fiancé and I are planning on heading down for a weekend in December. Any areas we should be looking to stay in? Cool places to go?

woodchuck

I'll be in Portland for a weekend in January. First time.

Which bar should I hit up with the best and most selections on tap? I see a bunch of options, but I only have time for one.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I loved my 5 years in Portland. I can't recommend the Chinese and Japanese gardens enough. Amazing places.

Would have been great to have a GAF meetup back then, but hopefully you guys have a blast now.

Dartastic

Which bar should I hit up with the best and most selections on tap? I see a bunch of options, but I only have time for one.
Ummmmm. Where are ya gonna be? If you're going for options, I have multiple recommendations but it depends on where you're at.

Also. Devo and TD. YO. LETZ HANG. Or at least get TD to come to best bout more. You guys live up north right? My lady lives right off Mississippi so I'm farther north more often. We should hang.

Ummmmm. Where are ya gonna be? If you're going for options, I have multiple recommendations but it depends on where you're at.

Also. Devo and TD. YO. LETZ HANG. Or at least get TD to come to best bout more. You guys live up north right? My lady lives right off Mississippi so I'm farther north more often. We should hang.

He's off the next three days. Let's DOOOO EEEEEET.

woodchuck

I'll likely be staying downtown, but I'm willing to take a cab wherever.

Doombear

Ground Kontrol to your earlier question by the way.

Haha really? For beer selection? Don't get me wrong, I can't get enough of Ground Kontrol, but do they have a decent beer selection? Like... more than Pabst? I really don't know. Full bar sure, but I never assumed it was a good selection.

I am partial to the Rogue Pub House downtown, tons of stuff on tap, decently priced beer sampler option, store for some bottled stuff and great food.

Deschutte Pub House/Distillery is downtown too. Not bad at all, but not as much on tap (or that I like) there.

Those are just a couple quick and easy ones.

Then across the river, if you felt like a cab, there is always the wonderful Horse Brass

Haha really? For beer selection? Don't get me wrong, I can't get enough of Ground Kontrol, but do they have a decent beer selection? Like... more than Pabst? I really don't know. Full bar sure, but I never assumed it was a good selection.

I am partial to the Rogue Pub House downtown, tons of stuff on tap, decently priced beer sampler option, store for some bottled stuff and great food.

Deschutte Pub House/Distillery is downtown too. Not bad at all, but not as much on tap (or that I like) there.

Those are just a couple quick and easy ones.

Then across the river, if you felt like a cab, there is always the wonderful Horse Brass

For fun.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
If you want beer selection, hit up Apex or Prost. You can get to Prost via the Max (NE Prescott exit on Interstate Ave) easily and a short walk over N Skidmore to Mississippi. Apex you can get to via the new east side streetcar by taking the SE MLK Jr & Mill exit and then walking 8ish blocks or so.

Mississippi has a ton of great bars, good food (and food carts!) and smaller venues that you can hit up walking distance of each other.

Man, I keep meaning to go to Ground Kontrol, but I've just never made it. Maybe next time an out-of-town friend is visiting I'll check it out. I've heard a lot of good things.

I do go to Compound Gallery around the corner sometimes. And Backspace. Both good.

Doombear

Man, I keep meaning to go to Ground Kontrol, but I've just never made it. Maybe next time an out-of-town friend is visiting I'll check it out. I've heard a lot of good things.

I do go to Compound Gallery around the corner sometimes. And Backspace. Both good.

That whole block is great. Don't forget Upper Playground and Floating World Comics/Grass Hut! Anyone remember when Compound was also Just Be Toys and they rented DVDs too? I miss that. Katsu is a rad guy though, and I can't speak more highly of his store his gallery or the artists he manages to get over here.

That whole block is great. Don't forget Upper Playground and Floating World Comics/Grass Hut! Anyone remember when Compound was also Just Be Toys and they rented DVDs too? I miss that. Katsu is a rad guy though, and I can't speak more highly of his store his gallery or the artists he manages to get over here.

Haha! Hell yes I remember. I actually called it that in my post before I was like "oh yeah, that's not a thing anymore".

I have been to Floating World Comics; that place is badass :) I'm gonna have to check out Upper Playground when I go to Ground Kontrol, haha

Hi portland gaf!

I'm not sure how i have missed this thread. is there going to be another meetup in dec?

If so, i'll totally show up.

i want to come visit you Portland OR. Open your arms to me, portland gaf!

AFQbZ.jpg

Would be great to see you again man.

Apex on SE Division.

tumblr_lq6o32LZlY1qzgi2jo1_1280.png

It's close to Beermongers which is another great option, but they stick to about 8 special beers on tap at a time, and two of my favorite vegan restaurants, Portobello and Los Gorditos. Also Double Dragon is across the street for Vietnamese food.

Doombear

Drink any beer you see from Boneyard. Go to Cascade, The Commons, Upright and Hair of the Dog.

Hop Venom is just... my favorite. RPM is great, but Hop Venom is just perfect to me. Local bottle shop in the SE has it rotating with RPM constantly every few weeks and my growler and I are thankful.

Hop Venom is just... my favorite. RPM is great, but Hop Venom is just perfect to me. Local bottle shop in the SE has it rotating with RPM constantly every few weeks and my growler and I are thankful.

I cannot wait until Boneyard starts canning their beers. We get their stuff on a pretty regular basis at the bars and shops near my house in Seattle. Visited the brewery in Bend back in May, crazy tiny. They're in the process of a much needed expansion.

Here's a couple of theater's that i didn't see in the OP:

laurelhurst Theater

and

Academy Theater

Anybody visiting town who wants to get outta the rain for cheap, should check them out. They have a better selection of films then some of the other theater pubs in town (a couple of the screens are tiny / poor quality) but the $4 ticket price and $8 ,or so domestic pitchers help make up for it tho.

Also if your at the laurelhurst theatre, Go Here instead of duu's. its some best teriyaki i've had. They serve some mean mai tai's at happy hour too.

Cat Party

Anyone else with young kids monitoring this thread? I'd love to compare notes sometime about things to do with them. I've been here 5 years and I still find out about new points of interest in the metro area.

Pctx

Banned
As a native of almost 32 yrs, I demand you put Hopworks in the bar/brewery section. Their IPA is GODLIKE!

As a native of almost 32 yrs, I demand you put Hopworks in the bar/brewery section. Their IPA is GODLIKE!

Hopworks will forever get a pass from me solely due to their creation of a "Terry" Porter, in honor of the best point guard the Blazers ever had (yes, even better than Roy)

Top Bottom