• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What writers should learn from Wonder Woman"

I never want to meet the monsters who got through Peter repeatedly screaming "NOOOOOO" as he watched Yondu die in front of him without so much as choking up.

I never want to meet the monsters who got through Peter repeatedly screaming "NOOOOOO" as he watched Yondu die in front of him without so much as choking up.

Me lol. The constant barrage of unfunny jokes ruined any emotional connection I had with any of the characters by the end of the movie.

exYle

It's centered correctly. One side is trying really fucking hard to apprehend the others but then it turns into some weird Benny Hill stuff. It's A LOT like the opening to Age of Ultron where
they're making jokes about swearing while they're actually killing a bunch of goons: it's inconsistent because the movie wants you take it seriously but they're pulling shit like that.
. Civil War does try to be serious and then it's even more confusing cause you have Black Widow and Hawk Eye making jokes then Black Widow is serious near the end? It's tonally confusing. It's kind of like they're trying to lessen the idea that these super heroes will be thrown in a super max prison (but then they do it anyway).

It's just not well done.

It absolutely is not. The scene has 12 separate characters with different personalities all interacting with each other. Most of them are good natured people and most of them are friends, just divided across a line. Some parts are serious, like Tony and Cap, because they're legitimately angry at each other. Others are lighter, like Hawkeye and BW, because they care about each other and no way in hell are they gonna really try and harm each other. So when BW is serious at the end, it's cause she's not fighting her best friend anymore - she's fighting one of the few characters there who is angry as hell and actually trying to kill someone. A giant setpiece involving that many characters is going to be 'tonally inconsistent' cause they don't all hate each other, and therefore have different motivations for being there.

If you wanna criticise AoU, that's fine. That's an entirely different beast.

You seem to be harboring the delusion that a scene can be for more than one thing at once.

Which is weird, cause you prove capable of that level of nuance for any movie not made by Marvel Studios.

MCU movies just don't do it well. Another really good example of this is in Rogue One (I know not, MCU but just to illustrate):
people thought it was good when they completed their tasks in the third act. Yes, story wise it was good cause the plans were stolen and yadda yadda the rest is history, but it's quite obvious audiences didn't care about the process of how they did it. All that was needed was a line that went from Point A (objective / goal / task) to Point B (completion of task). They could have emailed it and people wouldn't care because something was finished so the logic behind the process doesn't matter because it was done so it arguably worked story wise.

A lot of movies do this like Man of Steel:
Zod wants to take over Earth because of some predisposed genetic imprint. Yes, it makes sense but it's also very simple and doesn't really matter to the story because the story isn't about that and a world ending event needs a world ending reason.

Motive and reasoning is a lot like Carl Sagan's quote: "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like Wonder Woman 3rd act
Steve sacrifice, Diana realizing the world isnt as black and white as she believed, she going ham on Ares showing a glimpse of her full powers and finally when Diana spares Dr Poison.

Too many good moments.

Mariolee

So I did something weird and watched the entire video before posting.

I think he's making a good argument with some poor examples, particularly the one in Doctor Strange. The joke he's contrasting with the Spiderman clip was pretty well set up in advance and, IIRC, was the release of a pretty long build up of tension that, for me at least, didn't actually detract from the moment.

Doctor Strange was also pretty disciplined, or at least more disciplined, about how it deployed jokes than most of the Marvel films. In particular the entire
action sequence that ends with the Ancient One's death, and her long, graceful death scene - the conversation as the snow fell - which went totally uninterrupted, tonally.

He's also cherry picking with Civil War, a film with numerous sustained and very serious action scenes and character moments. Too many to list, really. The whole point of the airport showdown was to bounce the characters off one another, literally and otherwise. I agree it was tonally all over the place, but most of the rest of the film wasn't, so it's misleading to use that to paint the film with that brush.

All that said, I think he's clicked onto why I just don't feel that invested in the Marvel films despite enjoying them and watching almost all of them. They are fun but also feel utterly disposable to me. On the flip side, Wonder Woman's emotional heft hit me pretty hard, and I actually cried at
Steve's death scene and the subsequent aftermath
, and a big part of that was because of how sincere the relationship and characters are. No Marvel film has resonated anywhere nearly as strongly with me.

At this moment I'm more invested in Diana's character than I am in Tony Stark's, despite seeing who knows how many films with the latter. Marvel undercutting their drama constantly is probably part of the reason why, though not the only reason.

Definitely agreed with you that his criticms of Civil War isn't entirely fair considering there are many scenes, I can think of the bombing scene at the UN and the end battle, that are completely played straight and emotional. But his critique does sum up why I am entertained but not affected by Marvel Films.

In that sense, I fear even more than I already do for Justice League considering they've been marketing themselves as basically bathing in what I understand as Bathos.

It absolutely is not. The scene has 12 separate characters with different personalities all interacting with each other. Most of them are good natured people and most of them are friends, just divided across a line. Some parts are serious, like Tony and Cap, because they're legitimately angry at each other. Others are lighter, like Hawkeye and BW, because they care about each other and no way in hell are they gonna really try and harm each other. So when BW is serious at the end, it's cause she's not fighting her best friend anymore - she's fighting one of the few characters there who is angry as hell and actually trying to kill someone. A giant setpiece involving that many characters is going to be 'tonally inconsistent' cause they don't all hate each other, and therefore have different motivations for being there.

This guy gets it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I don't like comparing the two, because Wonder Woman was great, but, let's not do this. The Winter Soldier is arguably the best movie in the genre.

Patty won me over with that quote not long ago. She has my sword.

I'm

Like…what is this even.
I liked Winter Soldier but No Man's Land in Wonder Woman pushes it above TWS for me.

Not a single comicbook movie has such an emotionally resonant scene. Simply the most heroic scene I've seen in these movies.

Mariolee

I never want to meet the monsters who got through Peter repeatedly screaming "NOOOOOO" as he
watched Yondu die in front of him
without so much as choking up.

I loved the movie, but the
framing of his knick knacks and some of the jokes during the funeral scene for Yondu
really pulled me out of the scene emotionally.

Again, these are simple explanations when the backdrop is them literally being apprehended to stand trial or go directly to prison. Their motivations for being there are to either help people escape or capture them. Like, what should I be feeling or thinking during that entire set piece? That's the problem, no one knows.

Prompto

Banned
framing of his knick knacks and some of the jokes during the funeral scene for Yondu
Also
we barely see Peter and Yondu interact in both movies. And when they did in the first it was mostly antagonistic towards each other. It was hard to really care about that relationship.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Again, these are simple explanations when the backdrop is them literally being apprehended to stand trial or go directly to prison. Their motivations for being there are to either help people escape or capture them. Like, what should I be feeling or thinking during that entire set piece? That's the problem, no one knows.

I mean what do you think is going to happen when you have 12 characters with all different reasons and relationships driving why they're in this fight at all? And the only one there who has any genuine anger in that entire fight is Black Panther. Is Spider-Man's personal and emotional investment in that conflict going to be anywhere near the same as Cap's? There isn't going to be one solid one tone through that whole sequence. There inherently can't be. It's a bunch of friends (and some newbies) wrestling in the mud. And right at the end, their spectacular attempts to undermine one another's abilities slip up goes dearly wrong, alongside the people who willfully stay behind so that Cap and Bucky can get out.

1) That's weird.

2) I'm not even talking about the funeral. Just his death. There were no jokes. No gags. Just a guy watching the man who raised him die in the vacuum of space after killing his asshole biological father.

You being unable to dive into the deeper relationships at play there is…huh.

"Either helping people escape or capturing them."

It's like you're a renowned film critic right up to the moment these films try to do something sincere. Then it's "oh no, jokes, contrasting character motivations, pick one Mahvel!"

Mariolee

Also
we barely see Peter and Yondu interact in both movies. And when they did in the first it was mostly antagonistic towards each other. It was hard to really care about that relationship.

This too, but I could at least kinda see that father son relationship shining through there since my dad and I fight a lot too.

1) That's weird.

2) I'm not even talking about the funeral. Just his death. There were no jokes. No gags. Just a guy watching the man who raised him die in the vacuum of space after killing his asshole biological father.

I don't think it's weird. I remember the air in the audience being slightly confused tonally when the camera lingered on some of the funny ridiculous knick knacks there were. Will have to rewatch the scene to better illustrate what bothered me.

I definitely remember being shocked and slightly touched by Yondu's death, but due to the fact that throughout most of the sequel Peter shared maybe less than ten minutes of screentime with Yondu it left me far less affected emotionally than in Wonder Woman.

Also are we just openly spoiling GotG2 now?

exYle

Go with the flow? That scene has moments of drama, moments of thrill, and moments of levity. It's not the only movie that has dynamic scenes like that. If you want a dramatic fight scene that is emotionally consistent throughout, CW has one at the end of the film.

y2dvd

The humor in WW had a great balance, but the villains gassing that room and giggling like schoolgirls was about as cheesy as it gets.

You being unable to dive into the deeper relationships at play there is…huh.

"Either helping people escape or capturing them."

It's like you're a renowned film critic right up to the moment these films try to do something sincere. Then it's "oh no, jokes, contrasting character motivations, pick one Mahvel!"
You do know you're not actually refuting my critisisms right?

Totally agree. There is nothing about the MCU that feels heartfelt or sincere. It's all gloss, manufactured by committee.

Real films, like LOGAN, need to become the norm (though not necessarily cut from the same subject matter).

The irony (and stupidity) of this post is hilarious considering what happened behind the scenes at BvS and what is still happening at the DCEU now regardless of WW.

Apt101

To Copy Paste Captain America Films?

I think that's overly cynical. Sure there are similarities but the two characters, their histories and origins, motivations, what they stand for, and how they connect with others and the modern world (and why they connect with them the way they do) is so completely different.

I think there's more in common thematically between Iron Man (the first) and Doctor Strange. Their demons and disabilities are different, but they hit essentially all of the same beats.

Fuchsdh

The idea that levity kills drama is in and of itself, a deeply limiting idea.

The biggest argument I'd have with the author is the assertion that the dramatic climax of Civil War is the airport fight. Did he miss the final fight between Cap and Iron Man?

Title's a bit over the top, putting undue pressure on Wonder Woman. But it's ultimately spot-on in the vacuum of modern superhero movies.

Should be more like "what writers should STOP doing - starring the MCU."

He also criticizes the DCEU movies in his other videos. The movies he used as an example are movies that had strong potential to be more.

jdstorm

Banned
I think that's overly cynical. Sure there are similarities but the two characters, their histories and origins, motivations, what they stand for, and how they connect with others and the modern world (and why they connect with them the way they do) is so completely different.

I think there's more in common thematically between Iron Man (the first) and Doctor Strange. Their demons and disabilities are different, but they hit essentially all of the same beats.

Sure. Its definitely cynical. But both follow a lot of similar beats.

Both have a plot set during a world war about disabling a secret german weapons facility that is interested in otherworldly power. Both have a secondary villan that takes up much of the screen time only to reveal the real villan (Red Scull/Aries) at the end for a final confrontation.

Both Cap and Dianna have their initial heroic urges tempered by those around them until they ultimately have their comming of age moments by engaging in direct combat.

Both start in places untouched by war and have the protagonist bought into the fight by an attractive outsider (Peggy/SteveT) who is very progressive for the time.

Both feature shots of their hero riding into battle with germans (Cap on a motorbike, Diana on a Horse) while focusing on the shield on their back. In general Wonder Woman's shield is the most prominent of her many artifacts in marketing vs say the lasso of truth ect.

Actually looking back, Im suprised at how similar Man of Steal felt to Iron Man. However thats a different conversation.

Eidan

The entire end sequence of GOTG2 was very effective for me. It really makes the entire argument that the MCU lacks sincerity feel laughable.

UrokeJoe

Captain America and Wonder Woman resonate the most with me as comic movies go. Something is there.

edit, wait and the first Ironman. Trifecta

kswiston

This thread is a bit of a tire fire, but I generally agree with the points made in the video, and am pretty sure that I said something similar about the MCU films in one of the Wonder Woman related threads opening weekend.

I don't think that Wonder Woman is the second coming of superhero storytelling, but it did manage to do several things right. Diana was allowed to be genuinely heroic. They avoided that "born sexy yesterday" trope that we had a thread about a month or two back. While Ares is yet another in a long line of underdeveloped superhero film villains, he was at least allowed to be menacing without having said menace undercut by jokes. Most importantly, we finally had a confident, optimistic hero in the DCEU, and it was done in a way that didn't completely reject what came before. This still felt like a DCEU film. Just a good one.

I disagree with some of his examples. Notably, Civil War. For me, a well designed Bathos moment doesn't take away from the drama of what is happening. Tony Stark snarking is well established to be not just a characteristic but a compulsion from which he is unable to stop in almost any event in he experiences. For me, Tony Stark making lines that are 100% in character doesn't take away from the drama that he is confronting his friends. It's almost like it's not even a joke to him, it's just how he speaks.

You don't need to look at stark though. When I saw The Dark Knight in theaters, half the lines the Joker gave were funny and the audience laughed without losing a single instance of not just the drama, but also the sheer uncomfortable menace.

So I agree with him that using Bathos has the risk of undercutting the drama (ultron was really bad at this), but I disagree that it's a sure thing.

And I do agree with his larger point that I wish more movies were made with the authenticity of Wonder Woman.
The snark and jokes all the time in the MCU takes away from the seriousness of the situation and make characters jokes.
The Joker a great character, his delivery was creepy more than funny. He never stopped being dangerous for one second while Marvel villains jokes fall flat and crap on their character. As far as the "drama" of civil war all I have to say is lol. The made up drama in civil fell flat because of dumb plot and conclusion.

You do know you're not actually refuting my critisisms right?

I am. I did there. And earlier.

Your mind is just made up.

The entire end sequence of GOTG2 was very effective for me. It really makes the entire argument that the MCU lacks sincerity feel laughable.

Right. That entire third act was emotional. Jokes don't undercut that. Acting like general audiences weren't at all touched by it is a step too far, too.

"The air in the theater was confused." What does that even mean? Lmfao

Mariolee

Right. That entire third act was emotional. Jokes don't undercut that. Acting like general audiences weren't at all touched by it is a step too far, too.

"The air in the theater was confused." What does that even mean? Lmfao

It means people in my theater had confused chuckles and laughter at points during a funeral scene. Of course, that's just anecdotal evidence, but I mean so is yours.

I'm also not saying that general audiences weren't touched at all. In fact, I love the movie and the way it handles the relationships between pretty much all of the characters for the most part. I'm just saying it would be even better if the frequency and placement of the jokes were different to let certain emotional scenes speak for itself.

Kalentan

Honestly the more and more it's used, the harder I find the "jokes" argument to be taken seriously. It really feels like the people who get hung up on it either get tripped up on the smallest things or just wants all super serious all the time. Like people know conversations in the real world aren't just one tone?

Right? Like people have had conversations that have begun angry or serious and ended in levity?

Right?

Like no one goes: "Oh man that was a great conversation but that joke you made at the end just voided everything you just said or did."

No one.

It means people in my theater had confused chuckles and laughter at points during a funeral scene. Of course, that's just anecdotal evidence, but I mean so is yours.

I'm also not saying that general audiences weren't touched at all. In fact, I love the movie and the way it handles the relationships between pretty much all of the characters for the most part. I'm just saying it would be even better if the frequency and placement of the jokes were different to let certain emotional scenes speak for itself.

You…can laugh during a funeral scene and still be touche-...you guys know humans are capable of feeling more than one emotion at a time, right? Those audience members weren't confused.

There are plenty of scenes they let breathe on their own with no humor. Them not doing that in all the scenes that you want them to do that in is, meh.

Honestly the more and more it's used, the harder I find the "jokes" argument to be taken seriously. It really feels like the people who get hung up on it either get tripped up on the smallest things or just wants all super serious all the time. Like people know conversations in the real world aren't just one tone?

Right? Like people have had conversations that have begun angry or serious and ended in levity?

Right?

That's the funniest thing about it. I get they're movies and they're fictional, but, what world are we living in where tone is one thing or another all the gotdamn time?

Superflat

I don't think it's hard to agree with what the video is actually saying, click-baity title aside.

The Doctor Strange scene in the beginning is a great example. It was a so-so scene to begin with and ended completely flat. It didn't pump me up, and it didn't make me laugh.

exYle

The snark and jokes all the time in the MCU takes away from the seriousness of the situation and make characters jokes.
The Joker a great character, his delivery was creepy more than funny. He never stopped being dangerous for one second while Marvel villains jokes fall flat and crap on their character. As far as the "drama" of civil war all I have to say is lol. The made up drama in civil fell flat because of dumb plot and conclusion.

image.php

Sunster

i guess i need to rewatch winter soldier because i just don't get how it was this genre defining film. in my memory it was equal to avengers 1.

Mariolee

You…can laugh during a funeral scene and still be touche-...you guys know humans are capable of feeling more than one emotion at a time, right? Those audience members weren't confused.

There are plenty of scenes they let breathe on their own with no humor. Them not doing that in all the scenes that you want them to do that in is, meh.

Yes, I'm the meh one for not wanting jokes during a funeral scene.

Superflat

i guess i need to rewatch winter soldier because i just don't get how it was this genre defining film. in my memory it was equal to avengers 1.

I've been wanting to rewatch it. I saw it only once, but I was honestly pretty bored -- I couldn't care about what was going on. While I was watching it there was nothing that really stuck out as bad, but I could not get into the story for the life of me.

It's the only Marvel movie where my take on it is vastly different than the majority of CBM fans. Maybe if I see it again now, my opinion will differ?

zoukka

I dunno, these are summer blockbusters, they are aimed at people who generally aren't very emotionally open or honest. Usually you hear someone laugh at sad scenes in the theatre.

Yes, I'm the meh one for not wanting jokes during a funeral scene.

Yes. You are.

Hell, they play Sam tapping Steve when he notices Sharon step to the podium during Peggy's funeral for laughs. The weight of Steve's pain and Sharon's inspiring words aren't lessened by it. It's just a silent "…oh shit, bro, look!" moment that happens, and then it passes.

Like in real life.

Top Bottom