• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 HD Project - Progress Thread

I've been in contact recently with a person by the name of Albert, who previously created texture mods for the original PC version of the game and we've decided to work together on this project. He recently shared some of his progress and I was very impressed. For example (work in progress shot):

The awesome thing is that he lives in Spain and in a city Capcom did some of their photography for the original textures. Additionally, he was able to find a good number of the original artwork for the textures online. This is something I've haven't had very much success with at all (I started looking when I began thinking about the castle section especially).

He has the same vision for not deviating from the look and feel of the original source material wherever possible, and I'm excited we'll be working together.

Please note: This project is still going to take a LONG time. We're both thinking about a year or so, with no concrete date set for release.

He is the creator of the very texture pack you criticize in the OP ;P

Damn, that's spiffy!

Could you go further on Leon's jacket? Maybe. But it looks good now! Really, really good. At this point, it really would just be nitpicky aesthetic stuff, I think, to do too much more.

Slight point of interest on the eyes of the baddies --- Check out those thick rings around the irises. Part of that is, yeah, it's low res so they gotta stand out a bit more, but they're definitely part of an eye and make it look slightly more natural. Maybe just a hint of that dark ring, expanding out just a tiny bit from the edge of the blue? Just a bit more? Because there's a harsh jutting effect between the whites of the eye, makes it almost look slightly cardboardy or cartoony. A slightly, slightly more natural look would do wonders, I think.

And Albert's materials are stunning. He really is pulling this from the same sources Capcom did.
Thanks for the feedback! Others also mentioned that the eyes in general looked too bright in comparison to the originals. I agree on both counts, so I revised:
031901-3.jpg
He is the creator of the very texture pack you criticize in the OP ;P
Everyone improves over time (myself included). :p

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Also, Alo81 - I can't seem to get Free Look to work correctly. For one, when I hit Pause and it brings up Leon's suitcase, I can't really move the camera. And when I use Free Look in-game, I can only rotate the camera - the WASD controls for Free Look don't seem to work. Is it usually kinda funky to get it to do what you want? Is there something I'm missing? Thanks again for the help and advice.

Oh no no no! You have to use the PAUSE screen, not the inventory screen!

Also, the controls for free look are using the mouse + RMB to look around and to move you use

Shift + W, A, S, D for forward, left, back, right movement

and

Shift + Q, E for down or up movement.

Then Shift + R resets camera position to default and

Shift + 9, 0 increases the speed at which you'll shift. So if holding Shift + W is taking too long to move forward, you can press Shift + 0 a few times then Shift + W should move faster.

Oh no no no! You have to use the PAUSE screen, not the inventory screen!

Also, the controls for free look are using the mouse + RMB to look around and to move you use

Shift + W, A, S, D for forward, left, back, right movement

and

Shift + Q, E for down or up movement.

Then Shift + R resets camera position to default and

Shift + 9, 0 increases the speed at which you'll shift. So if holding Shift + W is taking too long to move forward, you can press Shift + 0 a few times then Shift + W should move faster.
Ooooooh! Silly me - this worked perfectly! Thanks again!

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Incredible work crisdecuba! This is probably the most impressive re-texturing project I've ever seen. I have to admit, not being an artist I couldn't see how you would pull off re-texturing the organic models without losing the feel of the original, but the work you've done on the Ganado is amazing. I'm sorry for doubting you.

Thanks, everyone!

The first official demo video is up. Works best if you watch it full screen at 1080p. Also, some of the textures haven't been imported to the UHD version, so when I skip looking at the dog, that's why. And finally, the video is at 30 FPS - that was just so I could record the footage at 1080p. Normally it runs at 60FPS, of course.

http://youtu.be/9ZHTPrjqPoA

Thanks, everyone!

The first official demo video is up. Works best if you watch it full screen at 1080p. Also, some of the textures haven't been imported to the UHD version, so when I skip looking at the dog, that's why. And finally, the video is at 30 FPS - that was just so I could record the footage at 1080p. Normally it runs at 60FPS, of course.

Looks amazing! Now when do we get to try it?

Thanks, everyone!

Looking excellent... But there is no excuse not to rescue the dog. Shame on you!

Ithil

Thanks, everyone!

Basically it looks like how I remember the game looking in 2004, and that's great.

dhonk

I cant believe people were giving you shit about this in the beginning. Enthusiast projects are a wonderful way to learn and also prove your passion for art. Looking great!

Braag

I saw your work in the RE4 steam forums, really impressive work.
But isn't there one or two other guys doing a complete retexture of the entire game as well. I believe one of them is Albert. I still remember him many years back from his work on the original RE4 PC port.
Wouldn't it be easier to collaborate with him or someone else? Because this seems like a lot work for one person.

Razorskin

----- ------
I saw your work in the RE4 steam forums, really impressive work.
But isn't there one or two other guys doing a complete retexture of the entire game as well. I believe one of them is Albert. I still remember him many years back from his work on the original RE4 PC port.
Wouldn't it be easier to collaborate with him or someone else? Because this seems like a lot work for one person.

I've been in contact recently with a person by the name of Albert, who previously created texture mods for the original PC version of the game and we've decided to work together on this project. He recently shared some of his progress and I was very impressed. For example (work in progress shot):

The awesome thing is that he lives in Spain and in a city Capcom did some of their photography for the original textures. Additionally, he was able to find a good number of the original artwork for the textures online. This is something I've haven't had very much success with at all (I started looking when I began thinking about the castle section especially).

He has the same vision for not deviating from the look and feel of the original source material wherever possible, and I'm excited we'll be working together.

Please note: This project is still going to take a LONG time. We're both thinking about a year or so, with no concrete date set for release.

Zoolader

Wow wow wow wow wowwwww!

These new textures look incredibly good! I can't believe capcom was so lazy with their release of the Ulimate HD game on the pc. Comparing what they released and what you have shown so far you are definitely putting them to shame dude. I've been wanting to replay this game but I'm gonna have to hold off after seeing the progress you are making.

Nibel

What a killer video :)

I wonder how far modders can go with the game; imagine if there was a possibility to add new effects or change parts of the geometry *dreams*

Pyronite

I usually don't like texture packs because they often ruin the spirit of the original game, but the way you've upgraded each of these textures is wonderful. Watching the YouTube video, my first thought was that your pack is going to be the definitive way for people to play Resident Evil 4 in the future. Amazing job.

It was intentional. The spine texture is repeated on the top and bottom of the book as well, which would make it look like a box rather than a book.

There are books lying on the their side in the scene as well and it looks off unless you make the spine into something that could be pages instead.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It was intentional. The spine texture is repeated on the top and bottom of the book as well, which would make it look like a box rather than a book.

There are books lying on the their side in the scene as well and it looks off unless you make the spine into something that could be pages instead.

Huh! That's super weird! Clever altercation then, nice job.

Some of the work Albert is doing (not final):

Great looking, but the original image has a very roughly carved, ragged, decaying sort if stonework, while the new texture makes it look like its a freshly carved stone wall. This particular image, I think, might be drifting away from the original spirit if the artwork just a bit too much.

I mean, it looks great, but it seems a little too "brand new" looking when compared to the falling apart and roughly carved image in the original.

Whatever the case, I am greatly looking forward to this texture pack.

We've posted a poll on the website to help determine what the first demo release will be. Either:

1. Mercenaries (the environmental textures for the Mercenaries stages -- would take more time to release)

2. The Prologue (everything until the Leon says, "Where's everyone going? Bingo?" -- would be released sooner)

If you're interested, please take a moment and vote: www.re4hd.com

We've posted a poll on the website to help determine what the first demo release will be. Either:

1. Mercenaries (the environmental textures for the Mercenaries stages -- would take more time to release)

2. The Prologue (everything until the Leon says, "Where's everyone going? Bingo?" -- would be released sooner)

If you're interested, please take a moment and vote: www.re4hd.com

I voted. Looking forwards to seeing the fruits of your work first hand!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Are you taking screenshots differently than you have been in the past? The images seem less clear than usual. Not saying the texture work is worse, just that the images themselves seem blurrier.

Are you working from the PC version as a base now?

Are you taking screenshots differently than you have been in the past? The images seem less clear than usual. Not saying the texture work is worse, just that the images themselves seem blurrier.

Are you working from the PC version as a base now?

The first two images are from Albert, and yes, he is working only from the PC version. The second two images are mine, and I'm still working with the Dolphin version for quick testing purposes and screenshot gathering. Once a set of textures are done I port it over to the PC version and do a final test it there as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The first two images are from Albert, and yes, he is working only from the PC version. The second two images are mine, and I'm still working with the Dolphin version for quick testing purposes and screenshot gathering. Once a set of textures are done I port it over to the PC version and do a final test it there as well.

Okay that totally makes sense, because the first two images were the ones I thought looked peculiar!

You did an absolute killer job on that roof texture

That's an interesting take on the jacket but I feel that the other hd mod captures the texture more accurately. This one seems too smooth compared to original.

That attention to the detail on the colours of the bricks on the wall is really great.

That's an interesting take on the jacket but I feel that the other hd mod captures the texture more accurately. This one seems too smooth compared to original.

That attention to the detail on the colours of the bricks on the wall is really great.
I do think the jacket texture will be the very last one to be completed (and rightfully so - it's iconic at this point. :) Consider what's there to be provisional and expect that every once in a while revisions and refinements will take place.

turcy

great work man - keep it up!

you're doing a great job of keeping it "true to the original vision", which is very cool.

as far as your contrast difference issue when posting images - what colour space are you working in? sounds like a classic adobeRGB -> sRGB / internet colour space issue to me?

great work man - keep it up!

you're doing a great job of keeping it "true to the original vision", which is very cool.

as far as your contrast difference issue when posting images - what colour space are you working in? sounds like a classic adobeRGB -> sRGB / internet colour space issue to me?

Oh! Thanks for asking - the issue fixed itself a while back actually. Maldo also suggested it was a color space issue, i believe, but by that point it fixed itself so I simply let it go.

Katori

The shapes, too. It would practically look identical if scaled back down. This man is a consummate professional.

Great work. Are you still planning on releasing versions for both Dolphin and Steam?

The shapes, too. It would practically look identical if scaled back down. This man is a consummate professional.

Great work. Are you still planning on releasing versions for both Dolphin and Steam?
Re: that wall - Albert actually found the original / actual wall used. :) Hehehe

And yes the long term intent is to release for both, the any interim releases will be for the UHD version.

Top Bottom