• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WiiU games with Off TV Play

Fusebox

Banned
Depending on the quality of the gamepad screen and the distance it works from the TV this could be a system selling feature for me.

:( wii vc games would have been so amazing on the pad , oh well

honestly didn't know about Assassins creed 3 and scribblenauts being off tv too, might get those two down the line, also tekken

off tv play is gonna be huge for me :D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I am going to take my 3DS version on the road.. :D

that's for sure mate. Yet I can only imagine the variety of situations in which a lot of pissed off people would find themselves into

and we can already include Smash Bros 4 as a having no-padplay feature, probably

Medalion

Banned
I was actually unaware that this was a game-by-game basis feature. I thought it was just a system perk.

You could almost think of the Gamepad as one of those too... not every game brought to Wii-U *has to* devote all the computational power towards supporting the more complex features of the touchscreen and 2nd projection

Sean

Banned
This is probably the coolest feature of the Wii U imo, but doesn't it kinda downplay the systems biggest differentiator? (second screen aspect)

If all these developers are making sure their games work on a regular single screen experience that kind of defeats the point of the GamePad.

This is probably the coolest feature of the Wii U imo, but doesn't it kinda downplay the systems biggest differentiator? (second screen aspect)

If all these developers are making sure their games work on a regular single screen experience that kind of defeats the point of the GamePad.

Yeah this is certainly a worry of mine.

andthebeatgoeson

Solidifies Batman for me and I'll wait on reviews for ass creed and epic Mickey.

Nope, it's not mandatory but a cool feature that addresses a real issue (playing video games on a tv when other people want to use the same tv). It probably increases the amount of video game playing in a time where other activities easily distract from if.

I just look at it as flexibility.

Some liken the system to a larger scale DS and as you know, the majority of the games didn't make amazing uses of the two screens so if this happens with Gamepad, at least limited portability will be an added bonus for those developers that can't wrack their brains hard enough to really utilize the controller.

Your point makes sense though.

I'm so disappointed with this. Wanted to attack my backlog in bed, and some Dokapon Kingdom on the shitter would be lovely.

Oh well, maybe one day.

You seriously expected OG Wii games to be compatible? I understand Virtal Console/Wiiware games, but Wii games themselves? That would require a ton of reprogramming with the original games I imagine, which would be made infinitely more annoying by the games being physical copies and the Wii's awful patching system.

Depending on the quality of the gamepad screen and the distance it works from the TV this could be a system selling feature for me.

That's what I am wondering...How far can the controller be from the system?

Could you be playing initially in the basement, then put off tv play on, then walk to your upstairs to play?

It's a super interesting proposition.

ToD_

Could you be playing initially in the basement, then put off tv play on, then walk to your upstairs to play?

From various impressions on the web, it appears to be about 20-25 feet. For my apartment that pretty much means anywhere, but for those in a bigger home this will pose some limitations.

I nearly forgot about this feature, and now I'm salivating over the prospect of playing Tekken Tag 2 at my desk on the tablet. Yep, I think I'll pick up the system (if it can still be found anywhere...)

There's a Kotaku article about it with a picture to demonstrate the distance you can play but I can't find it now.

Eric C

Someone ask Iwata to ask about this in an Iwata asks.

It seriously needs to be addressed in some way. I just want to know if it's even remotely possible, and a possibility for the future. VC games on the Gamepad is like a dream.

It seems it's technically possible.
From the Iwata asks Wii U GamePad
Ibuki:Yes. But after last year's E3, we heard it was difficult to use. We played the NES version of Mario Bros. game on the Wii U GamePad and realized we couldn't do it very well.
Apparently that's why they redesigned the Gamepad to be more ergonomic after first showing it off at E3 2011.

Hopefully sometime soon after launch, Nintendo will decide that getting VC games playable on the Gamepad should be a top priority.

I agree with you...Might hurt the true innovation of having that 2nd screen.

cvxfreak

The Just Dance 4 Wii U trailer showed someone dancing in front of the game pad. Was that just fancy advertising or has no one confirmed the feature yet?

ToD_

I'm more interested in what happens when you hit your distance limit. Does the system shut off or just prompt you?

Considering it's a stream, my guess is that you will get jumpy playback followed by a signal loss message. I'm assuming the console will automatically pause the game if it loses connection with the controller during single player games.

seady

What the f?

There's Wii version AND Wii U version of virtual console? They are not the same thing? So the Super Mario World I bought for Wii VC will not be as featured as the one that will eventually come to Wii U VC (assume it will have Off-TV mode)???!

Currently, you can buy Wii versions of virtual console games on the Wii Shop Channel in backwards compatibility mode. Most are hoping that one day, Nintendo will release Wii U versions of virtual console games on the Wii U eShop, allowing for Virtual Console play on the gamepad.

It does suck we can't play Wii games on the gamepad, though, especially since they got our hopes up by including a sensor bar in the gamepad. lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Kinda bummed that Wii games won't run on the gamepad, but I understand why.
Wii games itself is only normal, VC however is just a very bad decision.

I bet it's because they don't want to eat into 3DS's VC (at least if they ever decide to add some content)

Considering it's a stream, my guess is that you will get jumpy playback followed by a signal loss message. I'm assuming the console will automatically pause the game if it loses connection with the controller during single player games.

That makes sense, and would be totally acceptable...wow, this is a really cool feature that I didn't know was included on almost every game.

I would use this a ton with wifey and the kid always hoarding the TV.

seady

For the distance issue , if u really want to play your games in the toilet, just plug your console nearer to your bathroom. U don't need to stick your console next to the TV. U don't even need a TV at all.

In fact u could even plug & leave your Wii U console in the bathroom permanently. It's not taking up much space.

Glass Joe

Huh... I was under the impression that off TV play was something that was universal, system wide.

It's dependent on the game. Most will have off-screen, but certain games that make unique use of the dual screen setup (Zombi U) aren't forced to drastically change their game concept to allow for only 1 screen, too. Otherwise innovation would be nerfed. Really wish this was on the box. "Off screen supported," or whatever.

Nemo said:
Wii games itself is only normal, VC however is just a very bad decision.

I bet it's because they don't want to eat into 3DS's VC (at least if they ever decide to add some content)

Could it be because Virtual Console games ARE Wii software and were coded as such? Once you accept that Wii games won't stream, you have to realize that VC are Wii games too and there's nothing devious about it (at least yet).

We'll see how they handle updates, assuming they realize that's too much of an opportunity to pass up. They'll probably trickle out the more popular ones, while obscurities will remain Wii only. Main question is if we'll have to repurchase for the U version... again, assuming Wii U versions will exist.

Huh... I was under the impression that off TV play was something that was universal, system wide.

How would you play games that actually use the gamepad for more than just maps and inventory? Ports will probably all have off screen play while games built from the ground up most likely won't

So, are we saying that certain aspects or games modes have off-tv or are we literally saying that at any given moment, i can go to another room with assassin's creed 3 or batman in my hand?

so long as that room is adjacent to the room with your Wii U in, it should work that way.

What the f?

There's Wii version AND Wii U version of virtual console? They are not the same thing? So the Super Mario World I bought for Wii VC will not be as featured as the one that will eventually come to Wii U VC (assume it will have Off-TV mode)???!

Assuming Nintendo will have a Wii U virtual console, the hope is that Nintendo will allow for the easy and free transfer of Wii-mode VC games to Wii U-mode, which will likely include things like the off-TV mode and maybe save states.

Top Bottom