• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about Retro, is that if they're making a new IP, it's gonna be awesome, and I can't wait!

But if they're working on legacy Nintendo IP, it's gonna be awesome, and I can't wait!

Maffis

You mean an actual artist worked on Darksiders? I thought they just stole some drawings from some five year old kid on deviantart and based the art off of that.

Fitting username.

Joe Madueira or whatever it's spelled has been in the comic business for ever. This is his style, and it's amazing how well they actually got it rendered in the game considering it was their first game with a very limited budget.

Boney

Banned
Zelda + Retro + top talent = sign me the fuck up.

To be honest Retro always seemed like console's Valve to me. Best devs.

Isn't Retro supposed to be top talent?

I guess people just want to slap a Retro sticker on it and it'll be the best zelda ever cause it's not stale nor handholdy

I was hoping for a second Donkey Kong Country Returns, but let's be honest here: whatever Retro puts out will be awesome. As much as a Retro Zelda would be great, I'm kind of hoping it's either an IP that hasn't gotten much use (Star Fox, F-Zero) or them doing another sidescroller that isn't DKCR (like Retro's take on a new Mario sidescroller for Wii U, maybe?). Or, heaven forbid, a brand new first-party Nintendo IP would be sweet.

Directly into my veins!

I'm betting it's a new IP (as much as I'd love for it to be StarTropics).

It won't be Metroid.
And it certainly won't be Zelda.
And they won't be putting all these talent into another DK Platformer (wouldn't fit their style).

So, New IP seems most likely.

royalan

We got him thrown in the hole. No windows, and nothing but a wacom tablet, a dual monitor setup, and limited access to Nintendo's intranet.

Emitan

It's going to be The Legend of Groose. Played straight. Groose and the manic depressant shop keeper go on an adventure.

I'm worried he might have gotten in trouble for the crunch time comment.

Ah, could have done... but it's hardly a major leak, is it? Still, to me it shows they're getting things prepped for an imminent showing... trailer at GDC?

I think so.

Directly into my veins!

I'm betting it's a new IP (as much as I'd love for it to be StarTropics).

It won't be Metroid.
And it certainly won't be Zelda.
And they won't be putting all these talent into another DK Platformer (wouldn't fit their style).

So, New IP seems most likely.

I think it might be Metroid. I just... do.

New IP would be great. RETRO needs creative freedom sooner or later.

Zelda would be cool, but thy won't do it. Donkey Kong would make me cry with disappointment.

Azure J

Wait, his twitter seriously got NDA bomb'd out of existence? Holy shit, either we fucked up or Nintendo is in apeshit mode to keep this one under wraps.

Please Zelda yes.

With Nintendo's protracted development times for console Zelda titles, the idea of two teams working on the franchise makes perfect sense.

Zelda has always been more popular in the west. I think Nintendo is still trying to figure out why. Putting a top tier western Dev on it with Japanese oversight makes the most sense, especially when the whole company is likely just wrapping their heads around the hardware architecture.

/fanboy dreams

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Picture of his desk:

AggH_tACAAEOogH.jpg:large

Detective GAF UNITE!

Maybe he closed it because of the desk photo? There is a covered magazine, glares on the computer screen, blurred out poster in the background, etc.

Quick, someone work some magic! Reggie failed to deliver!

I hope the guy isn't in trouble....

AntMurda

Internet fan hyperbole always makes for great logic.

But shouldn't Retro Studios concentrate on developing a game "no one else is making" at Nintendo. What is the point of them merely adapting a recent game? What is the gain exactly?

There are holes Nintendo is missing from their first-party catalog at the moment, and it would be better if they attempted to fill that hole.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well I had to put something and that's what some guys on another forum were suggesting.

His work is primarily in data visualization and rendering though.

I mean, data visualization involves rendering a lot of data at once, but that's kind of a large leap to make.

Given his work history and educational background, I would actually guess that he's working on content editors and performance tools, or just their renderer in general.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yup, I can smell it, new game from Retro revealed next E3.

Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme.

Rich!

Yeah, guys - Reggie just im'd me. Here's what he said:

"Oh gosh. You know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to... leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, the game's cancelled, thank you, bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom