• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Japan's 21st Century Top 100 Selling Games

Mr-Joker

Banned
Whhoooo at Pokémon taking the second, third and fourth spot, for a series that has only been around since 1996 that is quite an achievement.

Top 100 Games (2001 - September 2013)

Nintendo Marketshare:
NDS - 39
WII - 16
3DS - 8
GBA - 7
NGC - 1
NGB - 1
= 72% of the Top 100

Sony Marketshare:
PS2 - 22
PSP - 4
PS3 - 1
PS1 - 1
= 28% of the Top 100

Microsoft Marketshare:
= 0% of the Top 100

Sega Marketshare:
= 0% of the Top 100

ffdgh

Nintendo land Indeed.
KuGsj.gif

Super Mario, Pokemon, Dragon Quest, and Monster Hunter, the usual.

Western equivalent:

Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Madden, and FIFA.

My fantasy world:

Dragons Crown, Rayman Legends, Bayonetta, and Pikmin 3.

Refreshing (and a little surprising) New Super Mario is #1 in Japan!

Top 100 Games (2001 - September 2013)

Nintendo Marketshare:
NDS - 39
WII - 16
3DS - 8
GBA - 7
NGC - 1
NGB - 1
= 72% of the Top 100

Sony Marketshare:
PS2 - 22
PSP - 4
PS3 - 1
PS1 - 1
= 28% of the Top 100

Microsoft Marketshare:
= 0% of the Top 100

Sega Marketshare:
= 0% of the Top 100

thx.

Can you do by pubs marketshare comparison too please?

KoopaTheCasual

Meanwhile, "Nintendo is obviously doomed and should go iOS free to play" says the monthly Forbes article.

How many of those are not handheld titles and were released in the past 5 years?

I'm sorry, I love Nintendo, and I want them to do well. But looking at a chart dominated by handheld sales does nothing to brush aside the popular opinion that Nintendo has been failing in the home console market. No one has ever questioned their handheld prowess, but if they showed maybe a fraction of the marketing effort for their home consoles, we wouldn't see as many "Nintendo am doomed!" posts.

Damn....that's what you call domination.
What I find interesting is the lack of PS2 games on that list...given the fact that the PS2 was such a world wide smash, I'm slightly shocked there wasn't more PS2 games. Yeah, Dragon quest and Final Fantasy made the list but those games make the list irrespective of system. The highest PS-only title is GT3 at _ONLY_ 1.5 million. Puts into perspective how well the Ps2 did in the rest of the world and yeah, it totally makes sense for Sony to ignore japan this launch time. Unless the system has Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter, the japanese are ignoring Sony.

Oemenia

Banned
Can someone explain to me how fuck NSMB Wii sold so much, it's a port of a game that already sold gangbusters. Heck it sold to half the userbase of the Wii, an attach rate like that is unheard of!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Can someone explain to me how fuck NSMB Wii sold so much, it's a port of a game that already sold gangbusters. Heck it sold to half the userbase of the Wii, an attach rate like that is unheard of!

New Super Mario Bros Wii isn't a port.

Celine

wtf, top 3 for playstation 3, only 1 game is over 1 million
Well it's a system with 9M install base, in a time where the strongest third-party IPs moved to handhelds and Nintendo of course do not publish its games on non-Nintendo hardware.

Crazy how much the psp was able to ride on MH's success.

Especially crazy when you consider that the series started on the ps2 and wasn't that big on it.

Now I know why Japan gets Playstation 4 last, they really can't complain

THIS

It's not even the PS3's fault. Look at the PS2 numbers and once you factor out the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, the highest rated game is GT3 at 1.5 million. Factor out the Dynasty Warriors franchise and the next game is Winning elevel at 1.1 million.
What the hell were the japanese doing with the ps2 in the time frames between Dragon quest/final Fantasy/Dynasty warrior releases?

zhorkat

TOP 3 BY SYSTEM
Code:
         209,000   360  Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope                               Square Enix           2009-02-19
         204,000   360  Tales of Vesperia                                         Bandai Namco          2008-08-07
         204,000   360  Blue Dragon                                               Microsoft             2006-12-07

These numbers are so close it's scary.

Riki

Crazy how much the psp was able to ride on MH's success.

Especially crazy when you consider that the series started on the ps2 and wasn't that big on it.

The ad hoc play really made the series sore.
But yes, any success the PSP got was in spite of Sony, not because of them.
Same with the Vita.

Wow Japan, you really like your Nintendo. It makes me happy that Final Fantasy is on the top when its not Nintendo, good taste in gaming still. Same can't be said said about the western market, however TLOU was freaking phenomenal and I wish a shooter like that would be number one and not GTA 5. Not saying GTA 5 is bad, but I just like my quality stories and non-repetitive gameplay missions.

Yet somehow I find Nintendo games fun.

Had no idea Wild World did so well. When I thought of DS crazy successes I didn't realise AC was one of the 'biiiig' ones. I knew it did well, but yeah.

I love New Leaf, I hope it continues doing well too! Can't wait for a Wii U one.

Gran Turismo 5 - 410,486 / 600,860

We still don't know what happened.

Are we expecting GT6 so sell less or more than that?

I'm in Japan and my kid has a 3DS which he brings about with him. Literally half the streetpasses he gets are from people playing MH 4.
The free StreetPass promo, I love it. Did you buy him a copy? Let he be one of the cool kids.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
CLEARLY this is evidence that Nintendo is doomed, and in two years they'll go third-party and start putting games on mobile dev- pffffft haahahaa. Sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face.

DS was a powerhouse, and looking at my shelf I can understand.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The Vita wouldn't be in its current situation hadn't Sony secured it as a Playstation handheld exclusive.

Top Bottom