• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mythology fans: Xerneas and Yveltal are from Norse mythology? (Pokemon XY)

Neiteio

New page (when set to 100 posts per page), so I'm reposting the official Sugimori art (in low-quality photo form) for reference -- Yveltal is the bird, and Xerneas is the stag:

yNXtX.jpg

Forkball

Good observations, but I'm not sure if the game will have a Norse mythology theme. Black and White had a random hodgepodge of ideas. The area was based on New York/America, but there were Egyptian-esque tombs, yin yang dragons, and Japanese gods as legendaries.

Neiteio

Good observations, but I'm not sure if the game will have a Norse mythology theme. Black and White had a random hodgepodge of ideas. The area was based on New York/America, but there were Egyptian-esque tombs, yin yang dragons, and Japanese gods as legendaries.
Sure, and XY will probably also be a hodgepodge: The world looks based on Western Europe, for example, with an Eiffel tower and Gothic cathedrals, and yet the cover mascots are clearly derived from Norse mythology. I like it when they mix elements together -- it's fresh. :)

I know, but those animals just have dragon in their name. That doesn't make them look like dragons

Those animals have "Dragon" in their names for a reason, the looked like "Dragons" to people back in the day. "Dragons" are mythological creatures that have many different appearances from region to region and so when GF makes a Pokemon based on these animals and legends they also make them dragons.

Neiteio

A refresher on the mythological basis for some of the other legendaries:

Articuno: Based on Simurgh, a mythical flying creature in Persian folklore, with elements of the quetzal.

Zapdos: Either the Native American legend of the thunderbird, or the Impundulu, a bird of witchcraft who could summon thunder and lightning in South African folklore.

Moltres: Either the Arabian phoenix, the Slavic firebird, or the Japanese Suzaku.

Raikou: One of the thunder demons in Japanese mythology, collectively called raiju.

Entei: Chinese guardian lions, or Lions of Foo; alternatively, possibly Aterui, the chief of the Emishi, a.k.a. the demon called 'Aka-gashira' (Red-Head).

Suicune: Qilin or "Kirin", an Eastern legend that has traits of Chinese dragons, unicorns, deer, big cats, and other beasts. Maybe Anitong Tabo, goddess of wind and rains in Philippine mythology.

Lugia: Possibly Ryūjin, a dragon who lived on the ocean floor and was the Shinto god of the sea.

Ho-oh: Possibly the Huma bird, from the Persian branch of Iranian mythology, or another take on the phoenix, or (I'd say most likely) Achiyalabopa, a rainbow-colored bird god of the Pueblo people (Southwestern Native Americans).

Regirock, Regice and Registeel: The golems of Hebrew legend.

Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza: The Behemoth, Leviathan and Ziz of Jewish mythology, respectively.

TheMink

I wonder what types they might be, or if we can make an educated guess based on the myths? Dragon/Fighting for Yveltal, since he will square off against the serpent? That would be another first for the series. And perhaps Dragon/Rock -- also a first -- for Xerneas, in keeping with his gemstone antlers?

So in summary:

Yveltal -- Fighting/Dragon
Xerneas -- Rock/Dragon
Z Legendary -- Poison/Dragon

Well? :)

Dragon? Heeeeelll no, if game freak calls the deer god a dragon type im gon be pisssssed

Legendary Pokemon (these two included) have looked like over-designed crap since Ruby and Sapphire. Ugh.

On topic, the stag looks like a stag I guess, but that other thing? An eagle? Didn't we collect red coins off his back in Mario Sunshine?

EDIT: OP's suggested type combinations highlight the need for a new type reserved for legendary Pokemon that isn't Dragon or Psychic.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A refresher on the mythological basis for some of the other legendaries:

Articuno: Based on Simurgh, a mythical flying creature in Persian folklore, with elements of the quetzal.

Zapdos: Either the Native American legend of the thunderbird, or the Impundulu, a bird of witchcraft who could summon thunder and lightning in South African folklore.

Moltres: Either the Arabian phoenix, the Slavic firebird, or the Japanese Suzaku.

Raikou: One of the thunder demons in Japanese mythology, collectively called raiju.

Entei: Chinese guardian lions, or Lions of Foo; alternatively, possibly Aterui, the chief of the Emishi, a.k.a. the demon called 'Aka-gashira' (Red-Head).

Suicune: Qilin or "Kirin", an Eastern legend that has traits of Chinese dragons, unicorns, deer, big cats, and other beasts. Maybe Anitong Tabo, goddess of wind and rains in Philippine mythology.

Lugia: Possibly Ryūjin, a dragon who lived on the ocean floor and was the Shinto god of the sea.

Ho-oh: Possibly the Huma bird, from the Persian branch of Iranian mythology, or another take on the phoenix, or (I'd say most likely) Achiyalabopa, a rainbow-colored bird god of the Pueblo people (Southwestern Native Americans).

Regirock, Regice and Registeel: The golems of Hebrew legend.

Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza: The Behemoth, Leviathan and Ziz of Jewish mythology, respectively.

Alright, what about 4th and 5th generation? Latios/Latias

Lizardus

Legendary Pokemon (these two included) have looked like over-designed crap since Ruby and Sapphire. Ugh.

On topic, the stag looks like a stag I guess, but that other thing? An eagle? Didn't we collect red coins off his back in Mario Sunshine?

EDIT: OP's suggested type combinations highlight the need for a new type reserved for legendary Pokemon that isn't Dragon or Psychic.

No fucking way that kyogre, groudon and rayquaza overdesigned.

The overdesign shit started from D/P

Why, when we speak of north gods, its always the norse :(
Inuits gods are pretty cool too.
godsinut1.jpg

Fun fact: The last dwarf planet we found orbiting around the sun was named Sedna who is a Neptunian type of planet. They went with the Inuits gods after the Greek Gods, because Inuits are used to the cold.

The problem with Inuit gods and myths is that, in the words of most Inuit people who know of the myths, their gods and sprits were not revered but feared. Their belief system is as such that, since every creature and thing possesses a soul like man does, killing an animal is like killing a human, and once the soul is released from the body, it can enact vengeance upon you. So in their ancient traditions, even the simple act of obtaining food is a fearful and perilous ordeal. And their gods represented not beneficial things, but fearful ones... Nanuk, for instance, was the god of polar bears, creatures that will stalk their prey indefinitely to the exclusion of all other prey if you give them an ounce of mercy in the wild after being seen. The northern lights were regarded as the narrow path to the heavens, which you crossed over the abyss where land and sea ended; to fall from them was your peril. Sedna, the goddess of sea creatures, is also the ruler of Adlivun, the underworld.

All of their gods bring fear and never reverence, treated more like malevolent forces of nature than points of worship. Given that history, it's easy to see why they are less spoken of.

Especially Nanuk's powerful signature move "Yellow Snow" with its guarenteed Acc Down effect.

Neiteio

Funny, thats where most GAF posts are coming from.
Yep, it was a starting point. I looked up the figures in question to make sure it sat with me as plausible, amended some details here and there, and then presented them for your consideration as possibilities.

Snowden's Secret said:

I disagree. There's nothing present in these fellows that makes them more "over-designed" than Ho-oh with its billion colors and layers, or Lugia with its fins, frills and fingers.

Yveltal has a Y-shaped silhouette -- two wings and a tail to match. Symmetrical, in three directions. Claws on the wing-tips. Black lines tracing a red body. Two black horns. Black back with white diamonds. Grey plumes tying it together.

And yet the design breathes, with enough space between any one element. The viewer's eye traces the linework and it feels dynamic. It's interesting to look at, but simple enough to take in all at once. He looks like he could move fast, and bludgeon someone to death. At the same time he looks otherworldly, and mysterious.

Ditto for Xerneas. The body is sleek and elegant as they come, classically deer-like, some silver trim on the legs, a blue back and slender neck. And then you have majestic antlers full of rainbow-colored lights. It's lovely to look at.

Sorry to hear you don't like 'em, but maybe you'll warm up to 'em in time.

Lizardus said:
No fucking way that kyogre, groudon and rayquaza overdesigned.

The overdesign shit started from D/P
Again, just like with Ho-oh and Lugia, one could take off nostalgia blinders and call them overdesigned, citing Rayquaza's myriad patterns or Groudon's intricately segmented shell or Kyogre's many red lines splitting up the blue and white. I'm with you and believe they're beautiful to look at, but everyone has different tastes.

Neiteio

Man... Still can't get over how much I love these legendaries. Yveltal and Xerneas, plus the new starters, is like a belated Christmas present from Nintendo. Awesome start to this year in videogames!

injurai

Banned
Man... Still can't get over how much I love these legendaries. Yveltal and Xerneas, plus the new starters, is like a belated Christmas present from Nintendo. Awesome start to this year in videogames!

At this point I just want to see the starters evolved forms and the 3rd Legendary, then I think I can rest til October...

Neiteio

At this point I just want to see the starters evolved forms and the 3rd Legendary, then I think I can rest til October...
Yeah, the starter evos and third legendary are the ones I'm itching to see now, too. Although I'm quite content with the amazing material they've shared so far. Didn't they do the legendaries and starters separately last time? First Reshiram and Zekrom, and then at a later date, the reveal of Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott? To get all five all at once, alongside a trailer with actual gameplay footage, justified all of the hype and then some. I'm hoping this guns blazing approach is a display of confidence in all of the goods they have to give.

Darryl

Banned
these are some really good observations, especially the blue tint in the eyes / blindness part. now that's some real thinking.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Where are people getting the blue eyes = blindness thing from?

Eyes that are blind from cataracts will appear cloudy. That is the only noticeable change.

Qurupeke

Eyes that are blind from cataracts will appear cloudy. That is the only noticeable change.

They're kinda cloudy and I think that is what the blue color suggests. Nevertheless, if it's blind then it needs a way to "see". Probably via it's mind if it's Psychic. Or even sounds. :3

MrYggdrasil

Neo Member
I really love these designs. Cannot wait to see the Z equivalent.

And for the types, I would guess:

- Xerneas: Psychic/Dark or Psychic/Flying
- Yvetal: Psychic/Steel
- Z: Dark/Venom

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Legendaries never match their region.

Hoenn is Japan but its main legendaries are Hebrew creatures for instance.

Unova, as you said, is based in NY but its motif and legendaries are based on Tao duality.

Good god no.

Only Gen IV did that. Most of the legendary design fit the theme they are going on. And I realized a lot of old fans who aren't into Pokemon miss that point - Pokemon design now has THEME going on it, and even fans today miss it (a lot of people don't know the idea behind Farfetch'd for instance).

Gen IV however... the legendaries are mish-mash.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I always wondered what the deal was with Heatran. I mean, how did he fit into the whole mythos? What's he based off of? Why is he so underutilised? Diamond and Pearl was so legendary-heavy it's easy to forget about him.

I always thought he should've gotten an alternate Forme where his whole body hardened and he became pure Steel type (maybe an Ability that triggers if you hit with a Water move).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I always wondered what the deal was with Heatran. I mean, how did he fit into the whole mythos? What's he based off of? Why is he so underutilised? Diamond and Pearl was so legendary-heavy it's easy to forget about him.

I always thought he should've gotten an alternate Forme where his whole body hardened and he became pure Steel type (maybe an Ability that triggers if you hit with a Water move).

Apparently it's not really a "legendary" so to say, much as how Manaphy and Phione aren't even if they're classified as legendaries.

Oh and Heatran has differing gender too.

Which is sad because Heatran's kinda cool, like Metagross's fire cousin.

Qurupeke

Well, they had a volcano so they thought of creating something like that.

Andrew J.

If Yveltal is based off a nameless eagle, then what will I nickname it?

Eh, I'll just go with "Hraesvelgr." Close enough, right?

Jindujun

Neo Member
Sure, and XY will probably also be a hodgepodge: The world looks based on Western Europe, for example, with an Eiffel tower and Gothic cathedrals, and yet the cover mascots are clearly derived from Norse mythology. I like it when they mix elements together -- it's fresh. :)

"clearly derived from Norse mythology"?
Yeah, no...

Damn these are my favorite legendaries since Ho-Oh and Lugia, I'm legitimately surprised at how great these look (especially after seeing the starters).

The great thing about Xerneas is it could be almost any type. I hope it's pure psychic but I wouldn't be surprised at normal, steel, rock, leaf, dark, or dragon (ugh).

Also Xerneas and Yllsomething can't be the final names right? Although they did name one "Ho-Oh".

zroid

Banned
Damn these are my favorite legendaries since Ho-Oh and Lugia, I'm legitimately surprised at how great these look (especially after seeing the starters)

You mean to have the best mascot legendaries since Gen 2, while having the best set of starters since... ever? Yeah, I guess that would be pretty surprising!

Neiteio

"clearly derived from Norse mythology"?
Yeah, no...
Again: Xerneas has the colored gemstones of all four Stags of Yggdrasil (blue, purple, red and yellow), clearly tying him to Norse mythology. And the stag's counterpart in the myth was the bird. Guess what Xerneas' counterpart is? :)

Damn these are my favorite legendaries since Ho-Oh and Lugia, I'm legitimately surprised at how great these look (especially after seeing the starters).

The great thing about Xerneas is it could be almost any type. I hope it's pure psychic but I wouldn't be surprised at normal, steel, rock, leaf, dark, or dragon (ugh).

Also Xerneas and Yllsomething can't be the final names right? Although they did name one "Ho-Oh".
Xerneas and Yveltal are the final, official English names. Xerneas is pronunced "zur - nee - as" and Yveltal is pronounced "ee - VEL - tall."

I hate that they are missing mouths. Makes them look more generic than they really need to :/
They probably do have mouths. There have been a number of Pokemon designs that don't appear to have mouths when their mouths are shut.

I really love these designs. Cannot wait to see the Z equivalent.

And for the types, I would guess:

- Xerneas: Psychic/Dark or Psychic/Flying
- Yvetal: Psychic/Steel
- Z: Dark/Venom
I think you got those mixed up and probably meant to suggest Yveltal is part Flying, right?

It's the fact Xerneas is clearly the stag from Norse mythology, with antlers containing all four colored gemstones of the Stags of Yggdrasil, and the fact that if he is the stag from Norse mythology, then Yveltal in all likelihood is its counerpart, the blind bird. In cartoons, blind characters are often depicted with light blue eyes and/or white pupils, and Yveltal has both. Unlike Xerneas, who has dark blue irises and black pupils, Yveltal's entire eyeballs are blue, with white pupils. In fact, have there been any other Pokemon with white pupils (other than the Duskull line)?

Neiteio

Yeah, sorry, I got Xerneas and Yveltal mixed up. Obviously the stag doesn't seem like a good flying pokemon.
Ha, true. :) I like to think he'll be able to shoot beams out of the gemstones, though, turning his antlers into anti-air artillery... sort of like the Rock-type. :)

The two look fantastic, but I can't help but feel they'll look like nothing compared to the serpent and Fenrir legendaries.

Of course adding a super-legendary Yggdrasil Pokémon would be awesome. Just a giant tree. Nothing more. Same stats as Arceus with less speed and much more defense.

Neiteio

The two look fantastic, but I can't help but feel they'll look like nothing compared to the serpent and Fenrir legendaries.

Of course adding a super-legendary Yggdrasil Pokémon would be awesome. Just a giant tree. Nothing more. Same stats as Arceus with less speed and much more defense.
If they made an Yggdrasil Pokemon, it should be the tallest and heaviest Pokemon alive -- like twice the length of Wailord and twice the weight of Groudon. It should have sky-high HP and HP-replenishing moves, to boot. But it would also be like the slowest Pokemon in existence -- good for Trick Room, but otherwise outsped. :)

MrYggdrasil

Neo Member
Ha, true. :) I like to think he'll be able to shoot beams out of the gemstones, though, turning his antlers into anti-air artillery... sort of like the Rock-type. :)
It would be cool, yep. With those coloured gemstones in the antlers, Aurora Beam would be a suitable low level movement. Heck, given its colour scheme and that the antlers look like crystals it could even be an Ice type Pokemon.

Neiteio

It would be cool, yep. With those coloured gemstones in the antlers, Aurora Beam would be a suitable low level movement. Heck, given its colour scheme and that the antlers look like crystals it could even be an Ice type Pokemon.
Whoa, I jus realized how appropriate your username is to this conversation, lol. :)

I'd love for Xerneas to be a Rock-type legendary. Goes with the anti-air idea I had, and fits the gemstone-in-antler motif, and the predominantly black color scheme, and the idea of something along the X-axis (although so would Ground).

I'd really like Yveltal to be either pure Flying, or better yet Fighting/Flying. But I honestly have no idea what they'll end up being. Their designs stay awesome, regardless. :)

Top Bottom