• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online just released the PS4 Pro Patch

Lady Gaia

Probably bad wording. I read somewhere that it was going to run at native 4K.

There are a lot of unanswered tweets asking for clarification. Given the game's performance at 1080p I won't be terribly surprised if it turns out to be more complicated than just "native." 4K checkerboarded would make it "native" in the sense that it isn't being upscaled after temporal reconstruction, unlike some games which use checkerboarding to reach ~1800p and then get upscaled from there to 4K. On the other hand it isn't "native" in the sense that only half of the pixels are going through a traditional rendering pipeline for each frame. Or it could be "native" in the sense that geometric resolution is 4K but shaded resolution is still 1080p using MSAA techniques like some other titles.

This is going to be a complicated generation in this respect. Lots of work for Digital Foundry to try to detect the specific techniques being used, as I don't expect marketing to give us the straight story in most cases. That means we won't really know until the hardware and software has been in the wild for a bit.

zedge

Today marks the launch of One Tamriel (the biggest patch ever made for the game) on consoles and ZOS decided to release the PS4 Pro improvements along with it. Is this game the first "old" (pre-2016) game to release the Pro enhancements prior to the official launch? Here are the patch notes:

Fus Ro Dah me if old.

PS.: This is also my first thread here on Neogaf, be kind to me :)
Kind of disappointed you don't get the upscale and th enhanced features. It's either upscale as is or 1080 with bells and whistles. Ugh. Unless I am missundrstanding this.

Would be nice to get a Pro into the hands of Digital Foundry and a few other outlets soon. The patches will probably be dropping for a few games over the next couple of weeks.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm thinking of picking this game up on Black Friday. Is it worthwhile to grab the original release or am I better off waiting for the full edition to drop some more?

jrcbandit

I'm thinking of picking this game up on Black Friday. Is it worthwhile to grab the original release or am I better off waiting for the full edition to drop some more?

Either buy the cheap edition + subscribe for a month or two to be able to play the expansions or get the all inclusive version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
While native 4K is great, its sort of a bummer that the 4K doesn't carry over the enhanced visual effects.

Would (PC Gamers please answer) a 4K buffer make it easier to overlook the lesser refined visual effects ?

Danlord

While native 4K is great, its sort of a bummer that the 4K doesn't carry over the enhanced visual effects.

Would (PC Gamers please answer) a 4K buffer make it easier to overlook the lesser refined visual effects ?

I'm curious to see this. I hope Digital Foundry is preparing a lot of PC 4K vs PS4 Pro 4K comparisons, and PC 4K vs PS4 Pro 4K vs PS4 Pro 1080p vs PS4 1080p. That'll be some comparison ;P Plenty of work though for Digital Foundry to produce, so they're sure to get plenty of deserved hits.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I find it funny that there's no word about AF increase in any of these patch notes. Is it really possible that they will stick with PS4 levels of AF in a machine with this kind of GPU?

Of course.

Don't expect any 30fps PS4 games to hit 60 on the pro.
Tomb Raider will - not consistently, but i don't think they'd include an unlocked framerate option if it wasn't at least as good as what they had in TR:DF, which was very good.

Unknown?

This doesn't sound like up to 4.2TF worth of improvements. Is it?

Seems mighty feeble.
How can you tell without seeing it? It's not like the PC version is a powerhouse. That's probably why it isn't improving textures and such because base textures are already low?

cooldawn

Well the game is not really a graphical showcase anyway.
I know.

Its not going to be a 4.2tf improvement, it's only 2.4TF more powerful than a standard PS4, depends on the quality of those extras, if everything is PC Ultra equivilent that takes a lot of grunt, especially ultra reflections.
I know. The 'up to 4.2TF' could have been worded better...

How can you tell without seeing it? It's not like the PC version is a powerhouse. That's probably why it isn't improving textures and such because base textures are already low?
...and I thought we did see it. Wasn't there footage or screens for the PS4 Pro version already?

onQ123

PlayStation 4 Patch Notes v1.19

OVERVIEW
The Elder Scrolls Online v1.19 is an incremental patch for the PlayStation 4 that adds HDR Support, plus the new items of Mythical Aetherial Ambrosia and Apothecary’s Parcels. We’ve also made several fixes to itemization (including a fix for Vicious Death), dungeons, quests, and overall gameplay. The size of this patch is approximately 902MB.

NEW FEATURES / UPDATES / BIG CHANGES
HDR Support
Mythical Aetherial Ambrosia
Apothecary’s Parcels (Imperial City DLC Game Pack)

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS, IMPERIAL CITY DLC GAME PACK
Exploration & Itemization

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS, ORSINIUM DLC GAME PACK
Crafting & Economy

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS, THIEVES GUILD DLC GAME PACK
Quests & Zones

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS, BASE GAME PATCH
Combat & Gameplay
Crafting & Economy
Dungeons & Group Content
Miscellaneous
Quests & Zones
UI

Wallach

HDR eh? This patch is out now?

Edit - Indeed it is, and the HDR looks pretty good to boot! Makes me wish Skyrim SE had HDR support. Of course I also wish Skyrim SE ran right on the Pro, so if wishes were fishes and all that.

What's the deal with this "HDR Brightness" slider, though? Like a gamma setting for HDR mode? That seems odd.

Mentioned in another thread but played this last night on my Pro (non HDR 4K) I'm still deciding on which mode to use, the enhanced 1080 or the 4K. Due to the distance I sit from my TV I can see slight improvement on the 4K over 1080, but I wonder if the additional effects would be better. Either way, it certainly looks better than I remember.

HDR eh? This patch is out now?

Yes reports are that the HDR implementation isn't great and cannot be switched off.

Taker34

Banned
They have a 1080p mode. Improves the quality of the graphics slightly, but would be nice if the also increased the framerate.

Framerate is noticably better and more stable in 1080p mode. As someone who regulary plays trials, I noticed it right away. Walking through cities and taking part in huge battles feels a lot better now.

Dec

They have a 1080p mode. Improves the quality of the graphics slightly, but would be nice if the also increased the framerate.

They are CPU bound. The game couldn't hit 60fps no matter how much GPU power they got.

Top Bottom