• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is launching a system with the best games from the previous gen viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KooopaKid

Banned
Well it makes sense for Mario Kart and Splatoon. Those are multiplayer games, so adding new courses, new maps, new items, new weapons should be enough to make them worthwhile. No need to remake them from scratch again. The price would need to be right though.

TheChamp

So if Wii U games work on Switch like MK, Splatoon... will it even be required to get a Swich given the Wii U looks just as powerful

Agreed that the double function is appealing. I'd love a PSVita2/PS4 like that.

As a console on it's own, it wouldn't do very good at all I think. So it will have to sell as a handheld. Ninty has had a lot of success on that level, but that success was declining & I dunno whether they can get that back up in the current market. Stuff like Pokemon & Yo Kai Watch (in JAP) might. I can't really see it becoming a huge success, though.

But that's the thing; because of what we know about the dock just being a charger/HDMI-out, the Switch is basically a handheld that you can hook up to your TV. And that's a huge selling point in more ways than one. Nintendo have always dominated the handheld market, so when speculating the possible success of the Switch, it's far more accurate to look at the 3DS than the Wii U. I honestly think the Switch will sell to a ton of people who don't own a Wii U. And even if a lot of Switch owners did have a Wii U, what's the harm in having the option of buying enhanced version of Wii U games on a handheld if they want? We've already seen that with Hyrule Warriors and Yoshi's Wooly World, so it's hardly unprecedented.

Kaisos

Why in the world are you assuming those are "enhanced remakes" or whatever? The scope of the changes we've seen so far are far more wide-reaching than just the mere facelift Tomb Raider and The Last of Us got for the PS4's launch.

They're almost certainly sequels running on the same engine, like Galaxy 2 or Majora's Mask.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So if Wii U games work on Switch like MK, Splatoon... will it even be required to get a Swich given the Wii U looks just as powerful

If you only care for the existing games on Wii U that are being brought to the Switch and not any games going forward then Nintendo has a product for you, it's called the Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom