• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best time to sell your current-gen system?

Dylan

I'm not a console "collector" by any stretch of the imagination. As soon as I'm done with a system I want it as far away from my living space as humanly possible. But when is the best time to sell a console? Obviously you don't want to wait until marketing campaigns for new hardware hit, since people won't be willing to pay as much for something they perceive as outdated.

However, the only people currently in "the know" about the looming new consoles are the hardcore, so I imagine I could get a pretty good return on investment if I sold my PS3 right now to someone less industry-savvy. The only downside is I potentially miss out on late-gen games (eg. Dark Souls II?).

My question to you, GAF, is when is the "sweet spot" for selling a console, in order to maximize your return and minimizing your gaming drought?

Kup

When you trade it for the new one. The return is a new console. And you don't miss out on late generation games.

Earlier is better obviously.

The sweet spot is when you are done with it.

The "magical point" to where the large declines happen in re-sale value is when the new hardware gets announced.

guek

Banned
In an ideal world, the best time would be right around the announcement of its successor that has backwards compatibility.

- Trade in value is highest
- Assuming the announcement makes an impression, you'll have confidence in the successor

Once the successor comes out, you can pick up the games you missed in the interim on the previous console for much cheaper, alleviating the typical post-launch drought that you're virtually guaranteed to experience. You'd also ideally have other consoles or a PC that you can fall back on for gaming during the meantime.

Emarv

If you just want cash, probably right before new consoles are announced and stuff. If you only need the money to buy the new systems, trade-in consoles for new systems might be worth it.

Skyzard

Banned
You wouldn't care at all about replaying some PS3 favourites? What if the PS4 launch line up is dry and there is no backwards compatibility :p

Camp Lo

Banned
Should have sold them last year. Currently consoles have broken below $100 value at retailers; I think Gamestop will give you $150 IN-STORE CREDIT until the end of the month in some sort of special.

You're basically selling your dignity at this point.

Edit: I'm going to sell my PS3 after I'm done with TLoU; what is this good return you're expecting to get?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
My question to you, GAF, is when is the "sweet spot" for selling a console, in order to maximize your return and minimizing your gaming drought?

For maximum value, you sell your system at launch, or 10 years after the next gen launch.

Should have sold them last year. Currently consoles have broken below $100 value at retailers; I think Gamestop will give you $150 IN-STORE CREDIT until the end of the month in some sort of special.

You're basically selling your dignity at this point.

$150 is actually not bad. PS3s are going for $120 and lower on ebay.

Sell?

If the rumors about PS4 not being able to play PS3 game discs and PSN purchases not carrying over are true, I'm absolutely keeping my PS3 until it dies. :(

pax217

Put your PS3 up for sale within the month before E3. Major news outlets cover the E3 conferences and will be reporting on the new consoles even before E3 starts, informing the rest of the market about available substitutes that they previously weren't aware of.

Trading in your console for the new one is a way to get the lowest possible return.

Selling it via Amazon, eBay or Craigslist is probably your best bet. Craigslist doesn't take a cut, but requires time (and risk of safety in some cases, especially with electronics) which should be measured against the cost of the cut/shipping that eBay and Amazon require.

Sell?

If the rumors about PS4 not being able to play PS3 game discs and PSN purchases not carrying over are true, I'm absolutely keeping my PS3 until it dies. :(

Doing the same. I'd rather keep it, playing GT5 and Killzone, until it lights up yellow than take the $150 or whatever the market is offering right now.

jbueno

I traded in my 2008 Jasper Arcade unit to Gamestop last month during the double trade in for $140, not bad considering it cost me $200 USD back then. Plan to get a Japanese Slim 360 later on though, waiting on a price drop.

kpjolee

If new consoles offer 100% BC, might sell them. But I like keeping my old consoles anyway so no for me.
For selling, earlier the better value.

PSN purchases not carrying over?? I'd switch to PC.

I hope it's not the case & the rumor is bullshit... or they might do what Nintendo is doing with WiiU VC and offer heavy discounts for repurchases.
Regardless, rebuying everything - even at big discounts- is simply not going to happen. Screw that.

GulAtiCa

Prob now for the best result. However, if you wait, Gamestop and others usually give you 50% more for trade in to a new console. I think they also do deals like 100% trade in for new ones.

Skyzard

Banned
I hope it's not the case & the rumor is bullshit... or they might do what Nintendo is doing with WiiU VC and offer heavy discounts for repurchases.
Regardless, rebuying everything - even at big discounts- is simply not going to happen. Screw that.

Too right! What a joke that would be. Just do the usual thing and release slightly updated versions for the franchises you want to milk quickly...but a blanket incompatibility across all games is enough to say good riddance for me. Hopefully PC can keep up with next gen..

Alex

I don't plan to purchase any additional consoles for a spell, unless the PS4 by some stretch of the imagination wound up with full hardware BC. I don't collect anything at all, so I'll sell off mine once something can either replace them or I've had my fill of the software I'm interested in.

I bit a little too early on the Wii U (and sold my Wii when I did), but I knew I'd want one eventually so that's alright, but for the PS4 and the Xbox 3 I'm really wanting to see how the dust settles there a bit before I decide where to setup camp for awhile. Trying to keep my console/handheld count down since we more software nowadays that we know what to do with.

Top Bottom