• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Laws00

ordered by arcade card duo.....fuck man

Ginka Fukei Densetsu Sapphire here I come..........
81nfLetbDvL._SX522_.jpg

Fularu

Banned
Only about 4.5 hours left before the ZX Spectrum Kickstarter is done! And I'm not trying to scrap some last minute pledges, because the project was actually funded in fewer than two days.

All the stretch goals have been achieved too: now the computer comes with a bigger FPGA, an easier expansion system (slots for RAM and modules / no soldering required), 1MB (!!!) of RAM, a printed manual, an additional controller port, 5 new or remade games, and all that in a pretty box. And the promise of internet software and dev tools for the wireless connection, like a direct link to world of spectrum to download your games directly to the machine, multiplayer gaming or twitter.

The 8bit computer can be augmented with wifi, a real time clock chip (RTC), more RAM, and a Raspberry Pi as a daughterboard. It comes by default with HDMI and RGB out, a keyboard/mouse port, two joysticks ports and an SD card reader, in addition to all the original ZX Spectrum specs.

Oh, and the Next can be retrofitted in an original Spectrum case (with some shell hacking to make room for the new ports).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1835143999/zx-spectrum-next/

This isn't a Kickstarter exclusive, the ZX Spectrum Next is expected to be sold normally in online shops. Still if you consider getting one, you may want to get in on the Kickstarter train, as the retail price will be higher. The Kickstarter computers are pretty much sold at cost.
I wanted to back this up but beeing speccy only held me back.

I wish they were willing to expand it to other cores (Amiga, MD, NES, SMS, MSX, C64, etc) like the MIST.

Especially since it seems the ZX Next has a faster FPGA

Khaz

I wanted to back this up but beeing speccy only held me back.

I wish they were willing to expand it to other cores (Amiga, MD, NES, SMS, MSX, C64, etc) like the MIST.

Especially since it seems the ZX Next has a faster FPGA

I'm pretty sure this will happen. It's not their goal and won't dedicate time to do it (plus they may be restricted with the Sinclair license), but loading cores will probably be trivial and modders will figure it out. But of course they can't promise this in their kickstarter.

I'll be happy with CPC and 64 myself, to keep with the theme of 8bit computing.

D.Lo

my god
this explains so many weird euro platformers
Actually the spectrum, BBC, MSX (with tapes) C64 etc genuinely do explain the euro development scene in the 80s.

They started with hobbyists and had a cheap, easily piratable format (tapes). This set up a market expectation for cheap, bedroom coded games. It wasn't going to be a lucrative venture to create a professional, bug tested game, so it didn't develop as much as the professional markets that had in America (from the Atari/Activision era) and Japan (with the arcade devs like Sega, Taito, Konami etc and then with the Famicom). It continued in the same way with the Amiga.

So there wasn't as strong a professional development environment, and consoles didn't take off for years, because while the hardware was relatively cheap and more powerful/custom designed for games, the games were seen as too expensive.

Laws00

Sapphire is expensive as hell now. Are you going legit?

HELL NO I an't going legit.

In the Turbo/PC engine thread I already burned a copy of the game. The thing was when I tried to play it I didn't know that I needed an arcade card and the everdrive doesn't constitute as one

meppi

Got two packages in today. Something old and something new.
Only one left now. Been surprised at how quickly there are arriving actually.
More or less a week from Japan to Belgium. It usually takes a week or two, sometimes longer.

I vividly remember picking up the PAL version on release. 63€ on Tuesday November 21, 1995 at the local Game Mania store.
They only got one copy in and the clerk didn't understand why I would pick up something like this when all those new and shiny 3D games were on the shelves. lol
He just shook his head as as I paid and said something to the likes of "oh well, as long as you have fun with it, I guess."
I sure did. :)

Glad to finally have a 60Hz copy of this game now.

meppi

Not quite sure to be honest. I just remember most games either having borders or running slower with a big exception for European developed games.
Sega was overall quite good with their conversions, and some of the bigger publishers as well.

meppi

As far as I'm aware 100% of PAL PS1 games are 50Hz.

Ah that makes sense as I only remember 60Hz becoming a thing here with the Dreamcast.

We did get optimised ports though which compensated for the change, but they would still be 50Hz, just run quicker.

D.Lo

We did get optimised ports though which compensated for the change, but they would still be 50Hz, just run quicker.
Yes, all the way back to the NES typically european devs (eg Rare, Psygnosis) would optimise well for PAL, presumably because they wanted a nice copy to play themselves.

Sega did very little optimisation on the Master System/Mega Drive, the music in Sonic 2 and a couple of later games is all I remember. Nintendo was pretty good on NES/SNES, but basically no other Japanese devs (eg Konami, Capcom) did any optimisation at all on them. Saturn first party games got decent 50Hz conversions but none others did, N64 was a mixed bag, and PS1 was probably the worst system of all time for 50Hz. And unlike all systems before it, you can't mod the system and play those PAL games in 60Hz, since it's done in software, they're hard locked to 50Hz.

meppi

Yes, all the way back to the NES typically european devs (eg Rare, Psygnosis) would optimise well for PAL, presumably because they wanted a nice copy to play themselves.

Sega did very little optimisation on the Master System/Mega Drive, the music in Sonic 2 and a couple of later games is all I remember. Nintendo was pretty good on NES/SNES, but basically no other Japanese devs (eg Konami, Capcom) did any optimisation at all on them. Saturn first party games got decent 50Hz conversions but none others did, N64 was a mixed bag, and PS1 was probably the worst system of all time for 50Hz. And unlike all systems before it, you can't mod the system and play those PAL games in 60Hz, since it's done in software, they're hard locked to 50Hz.

Ah, I didn't know the details like that.
Looks like I'll have to see and grab some more Japanese PSone games in the future.
But not right now as I'm quickly going broke at this pace.
Luckily I already bought a lot of the more expensive releases many years ago when they went for the normal price. Got extremely lucky with certain other games that started to get very expensive and got them at a slightly inflated price but certainly nothing like what's being asked for them these days.
Taromaro comes to mind, holy hell! :-O

edit. Ah, this thread got dropped into the Community forum. No wonder I never see it on the front page anymore... :-/
Wish we got a retro sub forum instead. That's pretty much all I'm interested in at this point and all the threads keep being drowned out by random crap.

Fularu

Banned
As far as I'm aware 100% of PAL PS1 games are 50Hz.

Actually it was up to developpers because a PS didn't need any modification to run the games at 60hz. The game would decide how the system ran (I plaeyd all my PS games on my PAL PlayStation and without an RGB scart cable, US/JAP games would display in black and white).

I have both versions of Raiden Project (Pal and NTSC-J), I'll compare for kicks and giggles (I stopped playing the games once I got Raiden DX :p)

BTW anyone knows what's the Puzzler demo that comes with Raiden DX? Never found what the game actually was.

D.Lo

Actually it was up to developpers because a PS didn't need any modification to run the games at 60hz. The game would decide how the system ran (I plaeyd all my PS games on my PAL PlayStation and without an RGB scart cable, US/JAP games would display in black and white).

I have both versions of Raiden Project (Pal and NTSC-J), I'll compare for kicks and giggles (I stopped playing the games once I got Raiden DX :p)

BTW anyone knows what's the Puzzler demo that comes with Raiden DX? Never found what the game actually was.
As I mentioned above, software deciding the video mode is what makes PAL PS1 the worst 50Hz console, as you cannot mod the console to make unoptimised PAL games run correctly

PS1 only supported PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz (not PAL60) and as far as I'm aware while the console was capable of it Sony did not allow a PAL release to output NTSC and every single PAL game was 50Hz.

Fularu

Banned
As I mentioned above, software deciding the video mode is what makes PAL PS1 the worst 50Hz console, as you cannot mod the console to make unoptimised PAL games run correctly

PS1 only supported PAL 50Hz and NTSC 60Hz (not PAL60) and as far as I'm aware while the console was capable of it Sony did not allow a PAL release to output NTSC and every single PAL game was 50Hz.

What happens with PSOne games on a PS2? Can they be tricked into running at 60hz?

D.Lo

50Hz is only an issue when the game's timing isn't optimized for 50hz. PAL isn't automatically a bad thing.
Eh, 95% of the best 240p games were designed for 60Hz (mostly from Japan). 50Hz ruins the art (it gets squashed), ruins the gameplay (it runs too slow) and in most cases except the SNES (which had a separately clocked sound unit) ruins the music because it runs too slow.

Khaz

Eh, 95% of the best 240p games were designed for 60Hz (mostly from Japan). 50Hz ruins the art (it gets squashed), ruins the gameplay (it runs too slow) and in most cases except the SNES (which had a separately clocked sound unit) ruins the music because it runs too slow.

And on top of that, PAL-optimised games (that correct the gameplay speed / music tempo) are fucked up forever as no amount of modding can make them run as good as a 60Hz game. At least non-optimised games can be run properly when the console is modded.
Does no apply to Sony consoles.

The only exception are some games designed by European companies for the European market, which can take advantage of the 50Hz: more vertical definition and more frame-time to compute. There are very few of them though. A popular example are the Titan Overdrive demos for the Megadrive, which have to be played at 50Hz for the reasons above.

Got two packages in today. Something old and something new.
Only one left now. Been surprised at how quickly there are arriving actually.
More or less a week from Japan to Belgium. It usually takes a week or two, sometimes longer.

I vividly remember picking up the PAL version on release. 63€ on Tuesday November 21, 1995 at the local Game Mania store.
They only got one copy in and the clerk didn't understand why I would pick up something like this when all those new and shiny 3D games were on the shelves. lol
He just shook his head as as I paid and said something to the likes of "oh well, as long as you have fun with it, I guess."
I sure did. :)

Glad to finally have a 60Hz copy of this game now.

Raiden Project is so good. I only have the best price release :(

Fularu

Banned
You have to decide how important it is to play sapphire on real hardware (are you willing to drop the 200$ for it (and going bootleg obviously as I don't advise going CDR on most PCE games)

As long as you burn it at a slow speed going CDR is fine. This isn't even really about wearing out the laser it's because the faster it spins the less defined the difference is in the pits the laser is burning in the disc. On older lasers (like the Duo) this can more easily lead to disc read errors. A properly burned CDR isn't going to kill your laser any faster than a pressed disc.

By the way an actual copy of Sapphire will cost you upwards of like 700 - 1,700 bucks depending on condition. The bootleg will run you 100 - 200 bucks. Personally I don't think there is a difference with playing a bootleg and playing a cd-r you make yourself.

You may want to go for a Duo-R/RX since they're more reliable, don't need their capacitors replaced, and generally have better quality lasers in them. Though IMHO the Duo is the sexiest of the lot.

Fularu

Banned
As long as you burn it at a slow speed going CDR is fine. This isn't even really about wearing out the laser it's because the faster it spins the less defined the difference is in the pits the laser is burning in the disc. On older lasers (like the Duo) this can more easily lead to disc read errors. A properly burned CDR isn't going to kill your laser any faster than a pressed disc.

By the way an actual copy of Sapphire will cost you upwards of like 700 - 1,700 bucks depending on condition. The bootleg will run you 100 - 200 bucks. Personally I don't think there is a difference with playing a bootleg and playing a cd-r you make yourself.

You may want to go for a Duo-R/RX since they're more reliable, don't need their capacitors replaced, and generally have better quality lasers in them. Though IMHO the Duo is the sexiest of the lot.

The bootleg is 119 euro with two other games (Rockman and Fantasy Zone or somethign like that?). So 40 euros really.

meppi

Raiden Project is so good. I only have the best price release :(

I had the same problem with Layer Section.
Had the SatKore version for many years but always wanted the original release even though the only difference is the front cover and the disc being blue instead of red.

The Raiden Project was actually one of the games that ended up making me buy a Saturn a bit later on.
Loved the game so much when it came out, but releases like that were so few and far between that I knew I was missing out.
The PSone is always being heralded as the undisputed winner of the 32-bit era, but at that time it was a bit lacklustre for me, even though I enjoyed the games I got a ton.
Just looking back at my list after Raiden came out as well as 96 and 97, it's easy for me to see why I felt like getting a Saturn was justified even though I got a N64 in March of 97 and the Saturn only 3 months after that.
There simply weren't enough arcade games being released for me so I started getting bored with seeing nothing but "mature" games on shelves.

Code:
	The Raiden Project	PSone	Pal	63 €	Tue, November 21, 1995
	Doom	PSone	Pal	50 €	Mon, January 15, 1996
	Philosoma	PSone	Pal	56 €	Sat, April 6, 1996
	Ridge Racer Revolution	PSone	Pal	60 €	Thu, May 23, 1996
	Namco Museum Vol.1	PSone	Pal	60 €	Tue, August 13, 1996
	Resident Evil	PSone	Pal	70 €	Thu, August 22, 1996
	William's Arcades Greatest Hits Vol.1	PSone	Pal	50 €	Mon, October 7, 1996
	Wipeout 2097	PSone	Pal	61 €	Wed, October 23, 1996
	Motor Toon GP 2	PSone	Pal	56 €	Thu, November 7, 1996
	In The Hunt	PSone	Pal	53 €	Fri, November 8, 1996
	Namco Museum Vol.2	PSone	Pal	56 €	Thu, November 14, 1996
	Crash Bandicoot	PSone	Pal	28 €	Sat, November 30, 1996
	Star Gladiator	PSone	Pal	23 €	Thu, March 6, 1997
	Namco Museum Vol.3	PSone	Pal	56 €	Tue, April 1, 1997
	Namco Museum Vol.4	PSone	Pal	47 €	Thu, September 4, 1997
	Raystorm	PSone	Pal	47 €	Fri, September 19, 1997
	Final Fantasy 7	PSone	Pal	63 €	Tue, November 18, 1997
	Tempest X3	PSone	Pal	19 €	Thu, November 27, 1997
	Xevious 3D/G+	PSone	Pal	43 €	Sat, December 6, 1997
	Castlevania Symphony Of The Night	PSone	Pal	61 €	Mon, December 8, 1997
	Arcade's Greatest Hits Atari Collection Vol.1	PSone	Pal	61 €	Tue, December 16, 1997

Keep in mind that I bought tons of SNES, NES and even GameBoy games during these years to get my traditional game fix.

After getting a Saturn, all of that changed and I was almost drowning in games. :)
Just look at 97 and 98 for comparison. lol

Code:
Saturn Console		Pal	238 €	Tue, May 27, 1997
Sega Rally		Pal	+	Tue, May 27, 1997
Fighters Megamix		Pal	+	Tue, May 27, 1997
Sega Ages Vol.1		Pal	63 €	Fri, June 13, 1997
Virtua Cop + Gun		Pal	40 €	Sat, June 14, 1997
Daytona USA		Pal	9 €	Fri, June 20, 1997
NiGHTS + 3D Pad		Pal	50 €	Fri, June 20, 1997
Night Warriors		Pal	20 €	Fri, August 1, 1997
X-Men Children Of The Atom		Pal	20 €	Fri, August 1, 1997
Megaman X 3		Pal	52 €	Thu, August 7, 1997
Sonic Jam		Pal	55 €	Fri, September 5, 1997
Panzer Dragoon		Pal	14 €	Fri, September 5, 1997
Virtual On		Pal	33 €	Wed, September 24, 1997
Darius Gaiden		Pal	20 €	Sat, November 22, 1997
Galactic Attack		Pal	18 €	Sat, November 22, 1997
Shinobi X		Pal	13 €	Sat, January 3, 1998
Darius 2		Pal	20 €	Thu, March 12, 1998
Christmas NiGHTS		Pal	GRATIS	Thu, March 12, 1998
Guardian Heroes		Pal	20 €	Wed, April 22, 1998
Panzer Dragoon Saga		Pal	60 €	Fri, June 5, 1998
Virtua Fighter Kids		Pal	18 €	Fri, June 5, 1998
The Story Of Thor 2		Pal	18 €	Fri, June 5, 1998
Street Fighter Alpha		Pal	25 €	Mon, June 29, 1998
Virtua Fighter 2		Pal	+	Mon, June 29, 1998
Fighting Vipers		Pal	+	Mon, June 29, 1998
Clockwork Knight		Pal	9 €	Mon, June 29, 1998
Clockwork Knight 2		Pal	9 €	Mon, June 29, 1998
Burning Rangers		Pal	63 €	Thu, July 2, 1998
Parodius		Pal	13 €	Mon, July 20, 1998
The King Of Fighters '95		Pal	45 €	Sat, August 22, 1998
NiGHTS + 3D Pad		Pal	13 €	Thu, July 23, 1998
Shining Force 3		Pal	63 €	Thu, July 23, 1998
Panzer Dragoon 2		Pal	38 €	Mon, August 31, 1998
Street Fighter Alpha 2		Pal	20 €	Wed, September 9, 1998
Dragon Force		Pal	45 €	Thu, September 10, 1998
Gun Griffon		Pal	38 €	Thu, September 10, 1998
Elevator Action Returns		Japan	73 €	Thu, September 10, 1998
Radiant Silvergun		Japan	75 €	Sat, October 10, 1998
Dead Or Alive		Japan	38 €	Sat, October 10, 1998
Marvel Superheroes		Pal	45 €	Sat, October 10, 1998
Shining Wisdom		Pal	13 €	Thu, October 15, 1998
Capcom Generation 1		Japan	70 €	Fri, October 16, 1998
Capcom Generation 2		Japan	68 €	Sat, October 24, 1998
Baku Baku Animal		Pal	38 €	Mon, November 9, 1998
Capcom Generation 3		Japan	63 €	Tue, November 24, 1998
Capcom Generation 4		Japan	68 €	Tue, November 24, 1998
Vampire Savior		Japan	53 €	Tue, November 24, 1998
X-Men VS Streetfighter		Japan	53 €	Tue, November 24, 1998
The King Of Fighters Best Collection		Japan	75 €	Tue, November 24, 1998
Hebereke's Popoitto		Pal	13 €	Sat, December 26, 1998

Just read the news about Raiden V coming to the PS4 and even though I'm definitely picking it up, I'm a bit sad that after Raiden DX, every single Raiden game has been such a big step back compared to Raiden II.
Without taking Raiden Fighters into account of course.

My Turbo Duo arrived, but the damn thing won't read discs so it's going back. I think I'm done with this search for now, it's the biggest console shit show I've experienced yet to the point emulating the few games I want to play outweighs the bullshit.

My Turbo Duo arrived, but the damn thing won't read discs so it's going back. I think I'm done with this search for now, it's the biggest console shit show I've experienced yet to the point emulating the few games I want to play outweighs the bullshit.

Where have you been looking for systems? When you decide to try again, I would just go to some one like KeithCourage on facebook or the PCEngineFX forums, he usually has Duos for sale that he's replaced the capacitor on, rgb modded and tuned up the CD drive.

You could always try contacting him anyway if you hold onto the Duo you have. Usually if it's not reading discs it needs to have its pots adjusted, and that's something himself (and probably a few others like Voultar) could do for you.

thanks buddy for the info! look at ebay daily till i get the impulse to buy but haven't yet

awe crap! sorry to hear man. i was so excited for you too. that killed my excitement of getting one a bit....

TeaJay

I actually bought my Duo as "defective" on a local auction site with that exact fault, it wouldn't read discs. (it had caps replaced etc. so it was in good shape otherwise). I sent it to a friend and he diagnosed that the screw that guides the cd drive (or something like this) was loose a bit so he tightened it just a bit and it started working again.

e: I'm guessing this might be the same issue that Shin Johnpv described earlier

He did add that it might be loosened in time again so I or he might have to do it again at some point, but who knows when that will be.

If you have any knowledge try this kind of fix. Just throwing it out there. The problems with the Duo CD drive and caps are somewhat exaggerated IMO, if you have a Duo-R/RX you will still have to do maintenance on them eventually too. (plus the Duo is the best looking PC Engine there is!)

Where have you been looking for systems? When you decide to try again, I would just go to some one like KeithCourage on facebook or the PCEngineFX forums, he usually has Duos for sale that he's replaced the capacitor on, rgb modded and tuned up the CD drive.

You could always try contacting him anyway if you hold onto the Duo you have. Usually if it's not reading discs it needs to have its pots adjusted, and that's something himself (and probably a few others like Voultar) could do for you.

Just ebay. The one I got has been RGB modded and recapped, and region free. Can you PM me a link to KeithCourage's facebook so I can reach out to him? Seems to be a few of them.

At this point, it's more than likely I will just send it back, but I'll see what options are available.

I actually bought my Duo as "defective" on a local auction site with that exact fault, it wouldn't read discs. (it had caps replaced etc. so it was in good shape otherwise). I sent it to a friend and he diagnosed that the screw that guides the cd drive (or something like this) was loose a bit so he tightened it just a bit and it started working again.

e: I'm guessing this might be the same issue that Shin Johnpv described earlier

He did add that it might be loosened in time again so I or he might have to do it again at some point, but who knows when that will be.

If you have any knowledge try this kind of fix. Just throwing it out there. The problems with the Duo CD drive and caps are somewhat exaggerated IMO, if you have a Duo-R/RX you will still have to do maintenance on them eventually too. (plus the Duo is the best looking PC Engine there is!)

This post is encouraging, I will open the bastard up later and see what I can do!

Yes Boss!

I Just read the news about Raiden V coming to the PS4 and even though I'm definitely picking it up, I'm a bit sad that after Raiden DX, every single Raiden game has been such a big step back compared to Raiden II.
Without taking Raiden Fighters into account of course.

Have you been able to give Raiden IV Overkill a chance? I'm admittingly a huge Raiden IV fan but Overkill takes the game to the next level.

meppi

Definitely the PSone version unless there is some newer port than I'm not aware of.
The other versions that I know of, Mega Drive, Super Nintendo PC Engine and Jaguar all have big compromises depending on what system they are on.
But the PSone version is basically arcade perfect as far as I know.

Have you been able to give Raiden IV Overkill a chance? I'm admittingly a huge Raiden IV fan but Overkill takes the game to the next level.

I briefly played it but just a credit or two.

I did play the regular version on 360 a bit more though.
Liked it quite a bit more than Raiden 3 but not nearly as much as 2.
Might have to give the PS3 version a decent shot again it seems.
Is it a lot better than the 360 version? As I don't even know what's different between the two versions.

meppi

It's more or less a remix of Raiden 1 and 2.

Not quite. If TeaJay is looking for Raiden 1, then Raiden Project is the best option.

While DX is a great game that I like even more than Raiden II, it has nothing to do with Raiden 1.
It has 3 modes of play: training, novice and expert.

Training is just one level to get to grips with the game.
Novice is the first 5 levels of Raiden II
But Expert is the full 8 level game plus a secret unlockable level in the end.
This mode is a complete remix of Raiden II with a bunch of new systems and scoring mechanics added to it.

Fularu

Banned
Not quite. If TeaJay is looking for Raiden 1, then Raiden Project is the best option.

While DX is a great game that I like even more than Raiden II, it has nothing to do with Raiden 1.
It has 3 modes of play: training, novice and expert.

Training is just one level to get to grips with the game.
Novice is the first 5 levels of Raiden II
But Expert is the full 8 level game plus a secret unlockable level in the end.
This mode is a complete remix of Raiden II with a bunch of new systems and scoring mechanics added to it.
Raiden Project has slowdowns in both Raiden and Raiden 2 that aren't in the arcade version nor in the DX version.

This is why it's the best way to play the pre fighters games imho

Top Bottom