• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

I thought MLB was my safe haven from this Trump bullshit.

Fuck off, Arrieta.

Don't worry friend, there is still light in this world.

8WPtTGZ.png

arodpledge.jpg

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The only thing that scares me is Miggy's contract.

But hooooly shit if they get him.

Astros are also said to be hot for Beltran too.

and the first happy Trumper of the mlb champs is

Cw1NZURUkAEktU6.jpg

a man who makes more money per year than 90% of actors is talking about being elitist?
never picking him for my fantasy team ever again.

I'm going to preach a bit to the choir, but Xia:

Please, do what /r/baseball did and ban any talk of politics and baseball for a while. I love this place, it's my home on GAF. I've had arguments and disagreements with people based on teams, based on players. But I still love all of you as people, as friends to talk baseball with. To learn, to be fans.

I really don't want this place to denigrate into the sort of mud slinging for which is currently present on OT GAF. I really do want this place to be a sanctuary so we can get away and simply talk the sport we all love.

sports and politics will sometimes cross paths. it's inevitable. but you know what? we still got Baseball and that's what matters.

Don't worry friend, there is still light in this world.

8WPtTGZ.png

arodpledge.jpg

love that rod.

Grab bag of news:

A scout tells Joel Sherman of the New York Post that Otani could get $300 million dollar contract.

“I actually think the guy might get a $300 million deal,” said a scout who has had multiple looks at the righty pitcher/lefty hitter. “That is how special a talent he is. He has power No. 1 starter stuff. He is throwing 99 [mph] in the eighth inning. His secondary stuff is unhittable. He is big and loose. His fastball is electric and his curve, cutter and split are all 70s [on the 20-80 scouting scale].

“And I think he is getting better as a hitter. I think an American hitting coach teaches him to turn on the ball more and he can be a 45-homer guy. He has Darryl Strawberry power. He is the face of a franchise. He is a big, handsome guy and when he plays baseball you cannot take your eyes off of him.”

Ken Rosenthal says that the Red Sox seem to be falling behind fast on the list of potential suitors for Edwin Encarnacion.

The Blue Jays’ push to re-sign Edwin Encarnacion failed to produce a quick agreement, leaving a clear path for other clubs that want the free-agent first baseman/designated hitter.

But who exactly are the suitors?

The Red Sox, at least to this point, are not serious players for Encarnacion, focusing on shorter-team solutions such as Carlos Beltran and Kendrys Morales, sources say.

The Rangers also do not appear to be heavy on Encarnacion. The Astros have expressed interest, but might not want to invest $125 million or so in a single player when they also need starting pitchers and left-handed hitters.

As always in the offseason, things are not always what they appear. Encarnacion’s agent, Paul Kinzer, clearly sees viable alternatives to the Blue Jays. And teams could intensify their interest as it becomes clear that Encarnacion is willing to leave Toronto.

And finally, Bautista has 'unfinished business' according to his agent via Jon Heyman. (Jokes away!)

Alou, when asked, didn’t rule out taking the qualifying offer, though that would seem to be something of a long shot. When asked about that possibility, Alou said, “He loves the city, loves the fans. I didn’t realize how much he loves it there. And he really feels he has unfinished business.”

There’s no evidence the Jays are talking to him yet about a longer deal, as they are with co-star Encarnacion, and while the sides had some sticky moments this year (Encarnacion’s people weren’t thrilled that his alleged contractual suggestion of $150 million in spring somehow got out), Jays people say they are fine if Bautista accepts.

Among other teams interested in either outfield help or a big righty bat are the Dodgers, Giants, Astros, Yankees, Mets and Rangers, though it’s impossible to see Texas taking an interest after what happened with Bautista and Rougned Odor.

I don't see Jose going to an NL team. His arm and fielding ability are deteriorating pretty fast, and he looks pretty close to turning into a full DH.

Beckx

Arrietta tweeting shitty things sucks. But you gotta figure half the team are probably Trump guys. Idk, I just try not to think about it.

and by no means limited to the cubs. i try not to think of it but today is very difficult

Team Japan will paying Team Mexico tomorrow in Japan. not sure if it will be televised in the states. tune up for the WBC.

i'm excited for this, 2 friendlies. Samurai Japan wasn't hitting well at the start of practice but are turning around a bit.

good preview w/ thoughts from the managers (including former Yankee Hensley Meulens!) https://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2016/11/443210.html

RBH

Georgia State University on Wednesday unveiled renderings of what it plans to do at the Braves' now former stadium, Turner Field, in Atlanta.

In a presentation to the state Board of Regents, Georgia State officials showed off what the stadium could look like as the new home for Panthers football. The project, to be completed in multiple phases, will create a new seating bowl initially with 23,000 seats with future plans for 10,000 additional seats. The school also is seeking naming rights partners.

The regents approved the project Wednesday.

Georgia State wants to spend $52.8 million, mostly from proceeds from its bookstore, parking operations, housing and other sources, to buy and renovate Turner Field and nearby properties.

The downtown university and a private development team led by Atlanta-based Carter came to terms in August to buy Turner Field for $30 million by the end of the year. The partners have proposed a $300 million development that includes a mix of housing, classroom space, retail and other uses outside the stadium.

Turner Field also could include space for the university’s hospitality school.

Georgia State launched a new website on Wednesday with details about the Turner Field project, including a plan for a new Panthers baseball field on the site of the former Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. The school said the Olympic cauldron will remain on site.
http://www.ajc.com/news/local/what-...hers-football-stadium/AgxFU3ixPTcCSPGyL5zCSN/

newsEngin.16759796_Georgia-State-Football-Day-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

newsEngin.16759796_Georgia-State-Football-Evening-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

newsEngin.16759796_Georgia-State-Baseball-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

newsEngin.16759796_Georgia-State-Locker-Room-Rendering-Fall-2016.jpg

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jake can go fuck himself. And what exactly does he mean by Hollywood? This man makes more money than any actor alive right now. I always knew a man who does pilates couldn't be trusted.

I mean, my assumption would always be that "Hollywood" in this context means "Jews".

Arod is a "hero" because he donates 0.0001% of his yearly salary (without endorsements) to Clinton.

That's like somebody who earns $100,000 donating 10 bucks.

Stay losing.

I mean, my assumption would always be that "Hollywood" in this context means "Jews".

Those dastardly Jews, even though a good chunk of managers and players in MLB are Jewish

Lets go through the list, shall we?

Brad Ausmus
Kevin Pillar
Joc Pederson
Ryan Braun
Sam Fuld
Scott Feldman
Alex Bregman
Ian Kinsler
Jason Kipnis
Bob Melvin
Will Middlebrooks
Danny Valencia

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Those dastardly Jews, even though a good chunk of managers and players in MLB are Jewish

Lets go through the list, shall we?

Brad Ausmus
Kevin Pillar
Joc Pederson
Ryan Braun
Sam Fuld
Scott Feldman
Alex Bregman
Ian Kinsler
Jason Kipnis
Bob Melvin
Will Middlebrooks
Danny Valencia
Love to hear what he thinks about "locker room talk."

RA Dickey going to the Braves on a 1 year deal. RA the god.

As much as people hated him in Toronto, specifically some people here, he worked out fairly well for us, and he should do wonders in a veteran leadership role with regards to the Braves' young arms.

Jeff Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle is saying that Miggy possibly going to Houston is pretty much more smoke then fire.

Despite a report suggesting the Astros will pursue future Hall of Famer Miguel Cabrera in a trade with the Detroit Tigers, all indications are such a deal is extremely unlikely.

Cabrera, 33, is guaranteed $212 million over the next seven seasons. The Astros under Jim Crane's ownership group have not spent more than $47.5 million on a single player (Yulieski Gurriel).

That's not to even mention the bevy of talented young players a team would have to surrender to acquire a player the caliber of Cabrera, a two-time MVP and 11-time All-Star, who would also have to approve any trade.

The Astros are of course in the market for a first baseman and have a connection to Cabrera in that he and Jose Altuve are friends who each grew up in the town of Maracay, Venezuela.

But that doesn't change the most pertinent factors – that the remainder of Cabrera's contract is more than four times greater than the largest contract doled out by the current Astros' regime and that the front office is reluctant to dismantle its core to improve other areas of the team.

The report emanated in the form of a tweet Wednesday morning from MLB Network's Jon Morosi, who had interviewed Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow on television Tuesday at MLB's GM meetings.

I've seen a lot of people, mostly on /r/baseball, really push back on Morosi saying that he is a shit stirrer and often has more misses then hits in terms of hot stoves.

Some more bits and bobs:

White Sox are fielding offers on Todd Frazier, San Diego is doing like wise with Yangervis Solarte.

As much as people hated him in Toronto, specifically some people here, he worked out fairly well for us, and he should do wonders in a veteran leadership role with regards to the Braves' young arms.

Jeff Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle is saying that Miggy possibly going to Houston is pretty much more smoke then fire.

I've seen a lot of people, mostly on /r/baseball, really push back on Morosi saying that he is a shit stirrer and often has more misses then hits in terms of hot stoves.

Nice 5th starter for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom