• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

Nachtmaer

If MS really is going for a heavily customised GPU, I bet they probably used Pitcairn as a base to start off. It'd make most sense because that's AMD's sweet spot GPU for gaming since it doesn't have Tahiti's unnecessary GPGPU functionalities. Maybe throw in some more shaders and stuff and it sounds like something decent to me.

4GB for gaming is perfect/overkill. I love overkills. 2GB/4GB RAM will be reserved for OS.

Um... no it isn't. Just because games of today do not utilize that much RAM doesn't mean that future games won't. These next systems are likely to go to year 2018 to 2020. Think long term. I know... that's tough for most people here at GAF.

I think the last quote I saw for edram required for something was actually far smaller than most assume. Somewhere around 300mb(though that is big for edram compared to the 360). I could be wrong but I thought someone on Beyond 3d did a nice calculation.

If it is 300megabits then it would be realistic, as it would mean about 36Megabytes.

What a beastly console.

If the specs are true, with a potential Forza 5, SW 1313, Watch Dogs, Alan Wake 2 at launch....

GODDAMN day 1 hnnnnnnnggggg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm a little bit more interested in what the CPU might be like compared to what's out now. Looks like the GPU (if true) is more or less in line with the latest mid-range cards. Still won't stand up to a GTX 680, but still probably a big leap over current gen consoles.
"probably" (lol)
7870 already destroys what's in today consoles so much that it's not even funny.

Console gods, I don't ask for much, but please hear me when I say ask you to not have any proprietary hard drives or memory sticks next gen.

specs sounds great. hope sony match or exceed them. :D

Something tells me Forza Horizon was a cheap distraction for the big daddy that's coming soon.

Sounds good to me. I'm having a blast with Horizon, but it's not as deep as FM4.

I would expect, and have heard, of a pretty extreme sku split. Neither hampered but 1 ready to handle a ton of storage and so forth and the other just an ok amount.

I could handle that, especially if you can upgrade the hard drive later. We've only had the 360 a couple of years, but still have 183 of the 250GB available.

If MS really is going for a heavily customised GPU, I bet they probably used Pitcairn as a base to start off. It'd make most sense because that's AMD's sweet spot GPU for gaming since it doesn't have Tahiti's unnecessary GPGPU functionalities. Maybe throw in some more shaders and stuff and it sounds like something decent to me.

I'm pretty sure GPGPU functionalities are gonna be played up in these next 2 consoles, not played down.

Bgamer90

Banned
xbox-logo.jpg

The new logo is quite nice.

That is nice.

gaming_noob

What a beastly console.

If the specs are true, with a potential Forza 5, SW 1313, Watch Dogs, Alan Wake 2 at launch....

I can see that list coming in the first holiday.
Then maybe something like Gears in Holiday#2 and Halo 5 in Holiday#3? I think that's realistic.

It'll probably run on Win 8 RT, and include a boxed version of it's RT Appstore as well.

No HDMI Cable, but it had a HDMI port and the build quality was the same, right?

Launch boxes didn't have HDMI unfortunately :(

Though I'm almost positive 360's launch prices in the US were

$399 - Base model
$499 - Pro model

And PS3 was

$499 - Base model
$599 - Pro model

Because my 360 on launch day was $600 with an extra game and controller.

AlStrong

Sorry:) Typing too fast.

No worries, it's just that 300MB would be a pretty big piece of silicon to dedicate. :p

According dkanter's article here, http://www.realworldtech.com/iedm-2010/3/, the 32nm eDRAM arrays are >11Mbit/mm^2 (density). Things may differ depending on performance target for the eDRAM & signalling or other design issues (e.g. Power 7 eDRAM arrays are quite spread out). Things may have changed since then, of course (process improvements & iterations). Power7+ die might be useful to compare there, but again, things will differ between how they'd design it as an L3 for P7+ vs a GPU or other (who knows).

edit:

The arrays in the photo within are 1Mbit @ ~ 0.13mm^2 (80 tiles of eDRAM per P7+ i.e. 80Mbit = 10MB per P7+ core), so ~8Mbit/mm^2.
http://www.hotchips.org/wp-content/...C24.29.815-Power7-Taylor-IBM-120828-Final.pdf

It's a bit hard to compare, given the different demands on I/O. Each P7 core has a 256-bit I/O to the local eDRAM, which is fairly low, but then they're also clocked very high, so there'd be a need for a bunch of circuitry for refreshing plus functionality as a local/global cache.

disap.ed

If these rumors are true it would be another reason why Nintendo should have gone with 4GB DDR3 RAM (for both double the size and doube the interface width 64>128bit).
Maybe they would lose 10$ more but they would have solved probably it's biggest bottleneck and would have a decent amount for next gen ports.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist

$399 - Base model
$499 - Pro model

And PS3 was

$499 - Base model
$599 - Pro model

IIRC 360 launched with 299/399 skus in the US..

$399 - Base model
$499 - Pro model

And PS3 was

$499 - Base model
$599 - Pro model

A simple Google research would have told you all you need to know..

The 360 gets two spins: the $299 non-backwards compatible "Core System" and the $399 package with 20GB HD, controller, headset, HD cables, and remote control.

yep, so? did you really need to check my history for that?

I think his point is that the whole bitter thing is a bad look.

kyo27

$399 - Base model
$499 - Pro model

And PS3 was

$499 - Base model
$599 - Pro model

360 was
$299 base
$399 pro

Karak

What a beastly console.

Those games would be great. But I would like MS to go with some other IP's new, and IP's that they own that they didn't hit for the 360 IN addition to those of course.

Lets be honest I just want Viva Pinata 3.

tipoo

Banned
You know what's funny? When I was a kid, I had to work my ass off to get dat $599 PS3. It was the most expensive purchase of my life. Now? At this point I am ready for anything and everything looks affordable lol.

(God bless Credit Cards).

Even if we can afford it easily, a lower price means a faster growth of the install base, which in turn means earlier developer investment. Remember the first year of the PS3?

Nachtmaer

I'm pretty sure GPGPU functionalities are gonna be played up in these next 2 consoles, not played down.

Yeah, no doubt about that. I just meant that they won't be spending as much silicon on it like the 7900 series does. GCN in general already has better GPGU functionality than the shaders used in Xenos.

Those games would be great. But I would like MS to go with some other IP's new, and IP's that they own that they didn't hit for the 360 IN addition to those of course.

Time for Brute Force 2: Electric Boogaloo

Karak

I'm fairly ambivalent about it. I don't particularly like the old one either.

Ya and it seems like my source was right about the additional hardware partners and aquisitions for MS. I would like a central XBOX theme with smaller icons surrounding it. I guess that might not look so good in various places. But it would reflect the unique processes that the new XBOX will supposedly handle and so forth.

Or that X floating on a cloud made of games hahahaha

Time for Brute Force 2: Electric Boogaloo
As I was saying in the other thread. Moneyhat Shenmue 3 and just GET IT OVER WITH. Or Bango K RPG.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
I can see that list coming in the first holiday.
Then maybe something like Gears in Holiday#2 and Halo 5 in Holiday#3? I think that's realistic.

Gears? I think you mean either epic or Cryteks new game.

New console, new IPs. (Not that we won't see Gears on the new console)

Um... no it isn't. Just because games of today do not utilize that much RAM doesn't mean that future games won't. These next systems are likely to go to year 2018 to 2020. Think long term. I know... that's tough for most people here at GAF.

Oh no, I definitely agree. The bigger the better. I'm adding to the fact that these specs/rumors have been discussed as of past 3+ years. I'll rephrase: 4GB "was" perfect/overkill. Now? The more I hear about 8GB and devs demanding it, the more it seems normal.

It'll really depend on the type of ram they use, and Im hoping they dont need more than 2 gigs for the OS...I cant even believe that is a possibility now lol.

The Xbox360 reserved 32MB for the OS, meaning they didn't even used the whole 32MB since they left room for adding other stuff later. MS is great in terms of OS optimization, there is no way they are going to use more than what it's strictly necessary for the OS.

Mindlog

Yes to new IPs.
Yes to VP3.
And Homeworld 3.
And Allegiance 2.

Please.
And Freelancer 2.

madmackem

Even if we can afford it easily, a lower price means a faster growth of the install base, which in turn means earlier developer investment. Remember the first year of the PS3?

That wasnt down to developer investment, that was down to the system being hard to code for with alot of learning that is still going on today. 360 didnt have that issue and i bet the two next machines wont either hopefully they both took heed of the downfalls of the early ps3 days.

Top Bottom