• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2016 |OT| Fantastic Beasts and Ghostly Beats

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Ookami Blue / Garu - Yuki Ono (Ultraman Belial, Josuke Higashita)
Tenbin Gold / Balance - Hiroshi Kamiya (Konji Minamoto (Digimon Frontier), Izaya Urihara (Durarara!!)
Oushi Black / Champ - Kenji Nojima (Shiki Tohno (Melty Blood), Fox McCloud)
Washi Pink / Laputa 283 - M · A · O (implying you don't know her)

These were surprisingly accurate, but the characters were a bit off.

Balance is Yuki Ono
Garu is Kazuya Nakai (Roronoa Zoro in One Piece)
Champ is Akio Ohtsuka
Raptor is indeed our darling Ichimichi Mao.

Hiroshi Kamiya voices team mentor Show Rompo.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Team mentor Shou Rampo is a FUCKING SAMURAI DRAGON

GRueTS6.jpg

So Garu is Wakka/Zoro/Gaomon (lol)
and Champ is Solid Snake/Seth (SFIV)/Wammu

Boss Doggie

a good team shot

UWmSAu6.jpg

They actually showed a real game in Ex-Aid, so cool. And Para-DX was awesome.
This is so much better than Ghost.

the great thing about it is that it fits with the timeline rather than showing off "a new game", since Emu was playing Tekken 6.

Tiu Neo

Those are... impressive VAs. I mean, I know 3 of them, and I'm not too much into anime, so this must be something, lol.

Boss Doggie

Also, anyone else feeling Shou is gonna be a violet ranger? His staff is very toy looking and looks like a kyutama could fit there too.

Ex Aid 15

This is one of those shows where you are just along for the ride. I've no idea where it's headed and I love it.

Para-Dx is conceptually cool, but it's probably the first costume I don't really like. It reminds me of one of those knock off action figures you'd find at your local Dollar Tree.

Slayven

My guesses

Paradox is Emu's Bugster, M is the antibody/immunity Emu has developed.

Nalia will bite it epsiode 47, Genis will beat everyone down ep 48, they win ep 49.

Zynx

Ex-Aid's moving along at a great pace. A welcome change compared to so many series where nothing goes on for the 30 middle episodes and all the plot is stuffed into the final 10.

The brief conversation between Dan and Parad when he gets the gashat is pretty interesting though - is Dan planning to use Parad as the final boss of Kamen Rider Chronicle? And how truthful was he with Taiga?

It's also a damn shame that the Riders are so vastly different in terms of power level that the individual gimmicks don't really matter, at least not yet. Stuff like Paradox's item control could lead to a lot of clever fights.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Zyuohger 46

Oh damn, Yamato got a huge gut punch. Everything is connected indeed.

That ending though, holy shit. Best finisher ever!

Tiu Neo

Zyuohger 46

Ohhh, now the whole game plot is paying off, imo. A contest of two big bads is a very cool idea for an ending. And then,
Gennis does nothing like the whole series, and still gets the upper hand at the end, hah. Can't wait for the final battle against him. After all this hype, it better not be underwhelming. I wonder if they'll even touch the Zyuland plot point, or if it'll be left for the next year's crossover movie.

You know, it was a lot of coincidences, and it would be a bit better if they did some of that plot a bit early, but even on it's filler episodes, Zyuoh has a lot of character development, so it's ok, I guess.

Today's battles (ground and mecha) were had some pretty different camera angles, and even some first person moments! I hope they use things like that a bit more from now on.

Ex-Aid 15

I wonder who this girl is. My theories were that she was either a bugster, or something like Emu. This episode already has proven this wrong. Well, the way things are going, and since she's a patient, we'll probably know soon enough. Probably something silly, but how did she know so much about the bugsters? Is she connected to the new doctor? Was she in the movie? Is this a movie thing?

Aaand... now Emu did have another operation, with some random evil doctor, and the good doctor didn't know anything. Eh, I kinda wished the person Emu looked upon did have a dark side or something like that. Well, let's see who this new doctor is.

Para-DX suit is kinda ugly (like most of them), but it's a cool idea for a suit. Is Paradox the evil Rider that will turn ally? He gives me that vibe. If he really is part of Emu, I can see the final form being a fusion of sorts. And at least this explained WHY they didn't tell him everything. Attacking him just after that wasn't a good idea, but eh.

This episode left me more confused than anything. It was a good episode. It's funny how Ex-Aid returned to the two episode arc formula, and yet it's doing it so well that it took me some time to notice, lol.

I've been quietly watching Zyuohger all this time and I finally caught up. While the only modern Sentai series I have for comparison's sake is ToQger, I have enjoyed Zyuohger. It's not particularly outstanding, but it's likable - mostly for its characters and less so for the overarching plot. But when the plot has gotten the focus, it's pretty good stuff. These last few episodes are definitely ratcheting up the intensity. That said I'm reeeeally anticipating Kyuranger lol.

Oh, and I've also started Kamen Rider OOO after not really feeling Ex-Aid. I still wanted my Rider fix and this one seems to be working out. Only up to episode 8, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Boss Doggie

it's pretty hilarious how Yamato doesn't have the family plot as a main plot yet his plight is more or less well done than Takaharu's

Anyway goddamnit I fell in love with this suit I sure as hope he isn't wasted

that cane really screams toy weapon

WarRock

Zyuohger is out of control. Genis is one scary motherfucker, wow. Episode 46 was worthy of a season finale.

Ex-Aid didn't get me as pumped as Zyuoh but it keeps its pace and consistence. It raises some questions and I'm not sure I like the writing (Emu is a genius gamer thanks to another hidden surgery which only purpose was to reproduce the Bugsters, making him the first infected; Taiga and Hiro going straight for the kill while they ignore Pipopapo).

ParaDX is easily my least favorite suit (honestly feels like there wasn't a lot of thought put in it). Doesn't help that the stunt actor didn't do anything interesting in favor of showing off the transformation and puzzle gimmicks and it had 0 of Pallad's personality compared to the other Riders. Shout outs to the Gunflame-Tyrant Rave combo at the end though.

My bet is that Niko got infected by Emu after/during the tournament.

Does Tekken 6 really fit the timeline? Wasn't Tag 2 out by then?
6 was released on arcades in 2008, consoles in '09. Tag 2 was 3 years later both versions, so yeah, he probably was (or should be?) competing in TTT2.

The brief conversation between Dan and Parad when he gets the gashat is pretty interesting though - is Dan planning to use Parad as the final boss of Kamen Rider Chronicle? And how truthful was he with Taiga?

It's also a damn shame that the Riders are so vastly different in terms of power level that the individual gimmicks don't really matter, at least not yet. Stuff like Paradox's item control could lead to a lot of clever fights.
He didn't mention his father, so I'm guessing he told a half-truth (that is why he killed Kiriya, why would he care about the coroner discovering that Emu was infected?). Also guessing that he doesn't have a lot of choice putting Bugsters in Chronicle, since he kinda worships their virus?

I've been quietly watching Zyuohger all this time and I finally caught up. While the only modern Sentai series I have for comparison's sake is ToQger, I have enjoyed Zyuohger. It's not particularly outstanding, but it's likable - mostly for its characters and less so for the overarching plot. But when the plot has gotten the focus, it's pretty good stuff. These last few episodes are definitely ratcheting up the intensity. That said I'm reeeeally anticipating Kyuranger lol.

Oh, and I've also started Kamen Rider OOO after not really feeling Ex-Aid. I still wanted my Rider fix and this one seems to be working out. Only up to episode 8, but I'm enjoying it so far.
If you are enjoying Zyuohger for its character focus with some interesting plot or world building here and there, you'll love OOO. Just don't expect to get all the answers you should.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ex-Aid 15

Emu being Patient Zero sounds like such a Showa thing.
Para-DX is just odd, but hopefully there's more to it.

shaowebb

Hooooooly shit melatonin is awesome.
Been having trouble sleeping, took some. Ended up in a full fledged tokudream where I was a wrestling themed Rider. Things in it were fucking thorough too. Highlights that I can still remember.

• Driver looked like a wrestling belt. Its missing 12 coins. Every time I'd beat a monster I'd get its coin and a new form. Base form was Zero form and was some blue suit with a red zero that covered the whole chest. Never used it more than the first ep where I got the first coin and went red.
  • Each form got a new color, number and finisher. I remember a purple form that let me teleport where I could RKO out of nowhere and a super speed form where I could charge a dash and do a spear that caused explosions where I'd emerge from the pyro Goldberging. Red form was a two footed dropkick for a rider kick...one of the ones where you backflip on impact like Paul London or AJ styles. Always had slowdown and explosions with sparks during the flip.
  • I came from the future to the past and if I was in the presence of clocks for too long they could transform into gateways and try to suck me back to the era I came from. It was called Time slotting. My mission was to prevent a future Reign of darkness by preventing these things from gaining power. I...I think I was trying to prevent the equivalent of bad wrestlers getting a push and monsters may have been versions of dudes like Roman Reigns and other dudes...
  • Had a partner like Ankh filling me in on what was going on. Manager maybe? He did find my opponents for me... First episode he kept trying to find out what happened to the dude I fought and I kept having to tell him I beat him and he blew up. His Response? "Did you pin him though?!" I had no clue what he meant. " IF YOU DONT PIN THEM THEY'LL GET BACK UP!" Thats right...after any hissatsu finisher I had to be able to cover them or they had to submit or they would regenerate. No shit I could beat dudes but if I was in no condition to pin they'd be back the next week. Fucking nuts.
  • The mooks were called "Jobbers" and came in a variety of bad outfits and all walked like the Bushwhackers.
  • Had a catch phrase before henshin-ing. "You wanna shot at the title?" *holds up belt driver and all just dangling then puts it on "Come and get it". Then Henshin had fucking Pyros and ring bell sounds.
  • My opening Theme was Emotion in Motion which is actually the theme to the Hentai Kamen movie lol.

This dream was fucking thorough and probably the first time in years I woke up smiling like a dumbfuck and going "What?' in years. I hope this is like a recurring dream or some shit so I can see who my secondary Rider/Rival is or something later.

Best dream ever. Fuck I can lucid dream sometimes so I'm gonna try and push this shit onto whatever happens if I can lol. #melatoninistheshit

NeonZ

Yeah, he's the antagonist for a Brave centered mini-series. I'm really looking forward to Ryuki's characters finally returning as actual characters rather than just silent suits.

Top Bottom