• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

kevin1025

Banned
the ratings are fine for the cw.

i mean it did way better than crazy ex girlfriend's premier and despite crazy ex girlfriend averaging only around 500k viewers a week it still got picked up for another season.

it's not super far off from jane the virgin's premier... either way i doubt the show is super expensive to make, so giving the reception there isn't much need to worry about right now.

Part of me wonders if Rachel Bloom's Golden Globe win was a significant piece of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's renewal. But you're right, Riverdale had an average premiere rating. Being all over global Netflix will help!

zulux21

Part of me wonders if Rachel Bloom's Golden Globe win was a significant piece of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend's renewal. But you're right, Riverdale had an average premiere rating. Being all over global Netflix will help!

it might, but given how much praise riverdale is getting in general that should make it close to a lock for at least a season 2.

I mean it's not like CW has super high standards for renewal. it's basically "do we think we can make money off this" and if the answer is yes they renew it lol.

not that it's a bad thing, the majority of american shows I watch air on the CW.

kevin1025

Banned
it might, but given how much praise riverdale is getting in general that should make it close to a lock for at least a season 2.

I mean it's not like CW has super high standards for renewal. it's basically "do we think we can make money off this" and if the answer is yes they renew it lol.

not that it's a bad thing, the majority of american shows I watch air on the CW.

Haha, that's true. The CW gives their shows a chance a lot of the time, and I really respect them for doing that!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If Riverdale can maintain and/or grow over this season, it'll most likely be renewed.

Unfortunately we probably aren't going to get the Sabrina the teenage witch spin-off they had hoped to make.

the ratings are fine for the cw.

i mean it did way better than crazy ex girlfriend's premier and despite crazy ex girlfriend averaging only around 500k viewers a week it still got picked up for another season.

it's not super far off from jane the virgin's premier... either way i doubt the show is super expensive to make, so giving the reception there isn't much need to worry about right now.
I agree with you. I'm not particularly worried at the moment, but I would like to see the show build some momentum.

Biggest disappointment of the TV season so far. Man I was really looking forward to this, a mix of Archie and Twin Peaks, with a darker take. I was on board with the concept. But the execution was horrible. I didn't feel attached to any of the characters, the dilogue was pretty bad, and the direction was all over the place. I did like Veronica, and I thought Archie's dad was OK, but they juggled WAY too much for the first hour of the show. Maybe it will get better as it has more time to breathe, but it was pretty much crap.

Then I see all the great reviews and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

It's hardly ever appropriate to judge a show by its first episode, just saying.

Zen Aku

Man, I didn't like the 10 minutes of the pilot but afterward it started warming up to me. Not really caring about Archie very much tbh. The friendship and interaction between Betty and Veronica is 1000x more interesting. If I keep watching it's probably going to be because of that.

Pluto

If Riverdale can maintain and/or grow over this season, it'll most likely be renewed.

Unfortunately we probably aren't going to get the Sabrina the teenage witch spin-off they had hoped to make.
A Sabrina spin off would be about witchcraft and if they go in a darker direction fighting evil instead of magical high school shenanigans, if done right it could be a paired with Supernatural.

It's hardly ever appropriate to judge a show by its first episode, just saying.
There's so many great TV shows to consume, if a show can't hook someone in within an hour, then that's the show's problem. You can't expect people to keep watching something on the chance they might like it down the line. It is perfectly appropriate.

Zen Aku

A Sabrina spin off would be about witchcraft and if they go in a darker direction fighting evil instead of magical high school shenanigans, if done right it could be a paired with Supernatural.

I wouldn't mind a Sabrina the Teenage Witch show with a bit of Buffy and Supernatural in it.

Joni

Damn, Archie is going to have a difficult year. Who can choose between this Betty and Veronica?

Crazy Ex is a CBS show. Their second best rated CBS show, out of three. This is one of 11 Warner Bros shows.

Crazy Ex is a CBS show. Their second best rated CBS show, out of three. This is one of 11 Warner Bros shows.

Yep. The CBS/WB split is what should make fans of this show worry. The CW doesn't have to keep around any really low rated WB shows like they do with the CBS ones. Assuming the ratings drop from the premiere, like most shows do, it will be interesting to see whether or not it gets renewed.

TVexperto

I just watched the pilot on netflix, I liked it but I kinda thought it would be a superhero show considering its from the same guy who brought Arrow to television

Monocle

There's so many great TV shows to consume, if a show can't hook someone in within an hour, then that's the show's problem. You can't expect people to keep watching something on the chance they might like it down the line. It is perfectly appropriate.
Maybe in the fantasy world where all great shows find their feet immediately.

It's not like your only option is to waste a bunch of time on a show you're not sold on either. How about listening to word-of-mouth later on?

Pachimari

I just finished watching Riverdale and god did I love it! I dogged the atmosphere and the mystery stuff even though it doesn't seem to be doing anything new according to people, I also haven't watched too much of that kind. I'm totally ecstatic about the characters and their relationships. Veronica is my favorite as expected, but her mom is something else too, even Ms. Grudge. Cheryl is an annoying ugh, and I feel for Betty sometimes. She really loves Archie but I understand Archie too. So sad to see those two hearts with so much sorrow. Jughead seems cool. Also, I love the look of it all, the colors they've used, the portrayal of the town.

I really hope this show finds an audience, so it can become this high quality show for a few seasons like Vampire Diaries was to me during Season 1-3.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
K.J. Apa (Archie): 19
Lili Reinhart (Betty): 20
Camila Mendes (Veronica): 22
Cole Sprouse (Jughead): 24
Madelaine Petsch (Cheryl): 22
Casey Cott (Kevin): 24
Ross Butler (Reggie): 26

Damn, Cole is among the oldest. He looks by far the youngest imo.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I need Jughead's beanie hat crown. They really made it work in live action.
right? leaving money on the table if they don't start selling an official version.

just for fun: Cole wearing the old school crown + Cole eating burgers with the cast.

CoJwnV5VMAAs25_.jpg:orig

CjeC_f0VAAA8D8Z.jpg:orig

So I go to Cole Sprouse's Twitter to see the context of those pics and click on his most recent Tweet...

I know it's some dude's troll account but...
9cc3usz.gif

It definitely did.

That was alright. The music really worked overtime to bring Friday Night Lights comparisons, which will only be unflattering for this show tbh. There's no Riggins or Taylors here. Not even close.

Also the bookends of the episode definitely felt inspired by the who killed Laura Palmer stuff. There's potential here though. I don't really see this being as good as FNL but it seems like it might scratch some of that itch

Betty and Veronica casting were perfect.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So Betty killed Jason right?

*gets out suspect list*

Cheryl is the obvious choice, so I don't think it's her. But she was there, so she should know who did it. I think it was one of the Blossom parents. Maybe they caught Cheryl and Jason out in the woods doing something they shouldn't and overreacted. Cheryl would be motivated to stay silent to keep that secret safe but also to protect the parent and maintain her current lifestyle.

Do I need to have read or know anything about Archie to get into this?

Nah, at most, you'll get some additional context for what is being subverted. However, if you understand the characters in the comics are supposed to be idealized "gee golly" teens from an era in the 1950s-1960s that never truly existed in real life, that's all you really need to know to understand how the characters have been twisted. you'll catch on quite quickly who is which trope from the comics.

*gets out suspect list*

Cheryl is the obvious choice, so I don't think it's her. But she was there, so she should know who did it. I think it was one of the Blossom parents. Maybe they caught Cheryl and Jason out in the woods doing something they shouldn't and overreacted. Cheryl would be motivated to stay silent to keep that secret safe but also to protect the parent and maintain her current lifestyle.

I think you may be on to something. Afterlife with Archie had Cheryl and Jason in an inappropriate relationship, so I can see this show going there.

Pachimari

The obvious choice is Cheryl yeah, since she was the one with him and she told the authorities that he fell over and drowned. Maybe she didn't realized he got shot lol, but I don't think that's what they're going for. I really have no idea who murdered him. Let's try and guess before the second episode is out, then it'll be funny to see who guessed it by season's end.

My suspect: Jughead.

Let me do a list.

Suspects:
Pachimari: Jughead

Anung

Un Rama
Nah, at most, you'll get some additional context for what is being subverted. However, if you understand the characters in the comics are supposed to be idealized "gee golly" teens from an era in the 1950s-1960s that never truly existed in real life, that's all you really need to know to understand how the characters have been twisted. you'll catch on quite quickly who is which trope from the comics.

Excellent. My knowledge of Archie starts with I know it it's a comic and ends with the Simpsons joke about staying out of Riverdale. But I do love a good idyllic town with seedy underbelly mystery.

Pluto

The obvious choice is Cheryl yeah, since she was the one with him and she told the authorities that he fell over and drowned. Maybe she didn't realized he got shot lol, but I don't think that's what they're going for. I really have no idea who murdered him. Let's try and guess before the second episode is out, then it'll be funny to see who guessed it by season's end.

My suspect: Jughead.

Let me do a list.
Jughead will be a suspect but I think Betty's father killed Jason! He had a motive because he and his wife blame him for what happened to Polly but Mädchen Amick is the bigger name and part of the main cast, so I think they'll want to keep her around over him.
One parent is also enough to do parent/child scenes, there's no need to pay a second actor (which is also the real reason Archie and Veronica have a parent in Chicago and prison respectively).
So the reason Betty has two parents is because Mr. Cooper is the spare they can write out.

One of the blossom parents, one of Betty's parents if it's a parent.

Cheryl or Polly if they go the scorned love interest route.

Third possibility is it's suicide. He said his final statement to his twin then killed himself.

This show is so trashy. I love it.
Part of me whats to believe that all this is just made up in Jughead's head, he's writing a novel about the summer and we're just seeing the dramatization of it. The finale will be him closing his laptop, and the live action cast will turn into their drawn counterparts as they chomp down on burgers and suck down milshakes.

Dare to dream

VAD

I did not expect to enjoy this. I thought it was some cheesy romantic comedy, now I can't wait until next week.

I really liked it. I'm on the bandwagon of thinking it's Betty's father since they lacked focus on him. Her mom seems to obvious to have done it.

Also I swear Betty and Veronica have better romantic chemistry with themselves then they do with Archie.

Joni

It is not pedophilia though. It might not even be statutory rape if he is 16. When these things happen in real life, it is the power thing that gets them convicted most of the times.

I just hope the whole 'sleeping with a teacher' thing isn't played as being something cool for Archie or even worse, they try to make a legitimate romance between them.

I don't need a Pretty Little Liars situation going on here.

Caught this today on Netflix. It was okay, but I found Archie quite unlikeable. Which was strange because I thought he was supposed to be this wholesome all-American boy-next-door who everyone loves. But I've not read the comics so I may have completely got the wrong end of the stick.

Would love to see a Sabrina reboot. Really hope this happens.

Should I watch the first episode or wait till next week and watch two in s row, does the first one end on a cliff hanger? (Sorry didn't read thread didnt want to get spoiled)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Should I watch the first episode or wait till next week and watch two in s row, does the first one end on a cliff hanger? (Sorry didn't read thread didnt want to get spoiled)
just a small cliffhanger in the narration, but it's more of a tease of what's to come to keep you interested. even though there was a lot of setup for the whole season the episode is pretty self-contained, you can watch it now and feel satisfied.

Top Bottom