• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ricky Gervais accused of mocking people with learning difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Derek is a fictional character and is defined by his creator, me," he told disability rights campaigner Nicky Clark.

"If I say I don't mean him to be disabled then that's it. A fictional doctor can't come along and prove me wrong."

...there we go, end of discussion.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
"Derek is a fictional character and is defined by his creator, me," he told disability rights campaigner Nicky Clark.

"If I say I don't mean him to be disabled then that's it. A fictional doctor can't come along and prove me wrong."

...there we go, end of discussion.

A fictional scientist on the other hand.....

Jburton

Banned
Can't stand the man, totally arrogant prick he is and he is also not funny in the slightest.

Also his use of the word "mong" shows the type of prick he really is.

Welp. Guess we can't have TV shows about disabled people cause people find it offensive. That's discrimination of its own kind, isn't it? Meh.

If the joke is "he's retarded", then this is a discrimination I'm fine with.

The clips I've seen of it aren't too bad though. Nothing too stupid. I thought it was going to be this type of Gervais http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmFesRGTAn8 When you have a history of "lol retard" humour I guess apprehension is natural.

No one got Carlos fucking Mencia off the air when he made over-offensive retarded jokes for three fucking years, and that was cancelled only because Mencia didn't want to do the show anymore! I mean his jokes were straight up stereotypically fucked up.

EliCash

Meh, Gervais isn't taking the piss. People will just instantly assume he is though. Derek will be a heartfelt performance, wait and see. He's actually pretty good with the drama side of comedy. Dilkington's there so it's instantly a must see for me.

No one got Carlos fucking Mencia off the air when he made over-offensive retarded jokes for three fucking years, and that was cancelled only because Mencia didn't want to do the show anymore! I mean his jokes were straight up stereotypically fucked up.

Is Mencia the guy who constantly steals other comedians' material?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Another load of politically correct horseshit.

The pair eventually made contact, and Gervais asked Clark to watch a pilot episode of Derek.

She agreed with his assertions about the story, saying: "I've laughed and cried. I haven't seen cruelty."

"Instead of it being a mocking disintegration of a learning-disabled man -paraded for the amusement of comfortable unaffected people, it's the story that really needs to be told at the moment," she wrote on her website.

End of discussion.

Mistle

Do Americans really hate Ricky Gervais or is it just this thread? lol

I'm Australian and absolutely love him. Sometimes he can be a bit over the top, but having listened to all the XFM podcasts and such, I totally understand where he is coming from. If he says this character isn't disabled, he isn't. He's not the one to beat around the bush to mock somebody.

defel

The Office is great. The podcasts and the XFM shows are all good. Apart from that Im lukewarm on Gervais. Love Karl Pilkington though.

As for Derek, I fully defend his right to make it if he wants and if people complain or whine about it then too bad. After the Ross/Brand debacle Im down for anything that pushes the envelope when it comes to edgy television here in the UK.

It's on right now in the UK.

It's great tbh.

And it's not super funny, it's actually quite sad and poignant in regard to old people homes.

My gran died in Jan spent the last 6months in a place like that, the people that work there do good work (for the most part).

N.A

Banned
Enjoyed it. It wasn't really funny but very sweet. Nice to see Ricky do something completely different.

Sad piano music means THIS IS DEEP AND YOU MUST BE SAD.

Not as bad as Life's Too Short, but still sappy, mawkish, patronising, facile, juvenile, revolting pap.

I don't think it was supposed to be very funny. It was supposed to endear you to the characters in just 30 mins. Job done for me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't think it was supposed to be very funny. It was supposed to endear you to the characters in just 30 mins. Job done for me.

Yes. It's not a comedy, people.

I thought the pilot was great and makes anyone who criticized it for being offensive look like fucking idiots.

Sad piano music means THIS IS DEEP AND YOU MUST BE SAD.

Not as bad as Life's Too Short, but still sappy, mawkish, patronising, facile, juvenile, revolting pap.

How's the new dictionary treating you? I think you'll find it's no substitute for having a real opinion.

I watched the episode last night.

The actress playing Hannah is perfect for her role. She looks and acts the part really, really well. Karl was pretty good too (even though you can tell he's on the verge of laughing in some scenes). I will continue watching the show for Hannah alone.

I do wish Ricky wouldn't be making that face the entire time as its a bit too far into the realm of charicature (but about halfway in I started taking the character more seriously). Also, the somber piano music and Erik Satie (who is one of my all time favs), is a little too frequent and a bit distracting, particularly Satie's 1st movement of Gymnopédies, which by now is a cliche. If they add Debussey's Claire De Lune or Bach's Prelue no 1 Cello solo, I'll be a bit disappointed.

The show definitely has promise.

It's a pilot. Judging from the viewership numbers and reviews, it's likely Gervais will move ahead with writing the full series. He seems pretty overwhelmed with the positive reactions to it on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/rickygervais. I wish he'd shelve LTS and focus on this exclusively.

Thanks.

I agree, I thought LTS was poor apart from the Depp episode and that was only a few moments of genuine laugh out loud moments. Warwick was just being Gervais, what's the point in that? I have been going back through Extras on my commute this week and it's vastly superior.

I loved Derek, I hope he makes some more.

Dmax3901

I loved it too and agree it was quite moving, but disagree that it wasn't a comedy, I laughed out loud several times.

Gervais can act.

hamchan

I cannot believe he actually went through with Derek. I've been saying for a while that it's not funny and easily his worse character. I don't know why he can't see it's awful. I guess he really is bad at comedy now. At least Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkingtom are still funny.

Watched the pilot. Very difficult to see Derek as a person and not Gervais doing a funny face. And the piano is pretty obnoxious. It was better than I expected though. I like the idea behind the character but I don't know if he's the right guy to pull it off.

Do Americans really hate Ricky Gervais or is it just this thread? lol

I'm Australian and absolutely love him. Sometimes he can be a bit over the top, but having listened to all the XFM podcasts and such, I totally understand where he is coming from. If he says this character isn't disabled, he isn't. He's not the one to beat around the bush to mock somebody.

From watching his stand-up, there's a lot of British references and humor that most Americans wouldn't get. I've actually really come to love his style (especially after visiting London), but I could see why some people might not like it.

Bo-Locks

I thought it was very moving, and I stilled laughed several times throughout the episode. It was a piece of drama on a (clearly) very touchy subject that was infused with some light comedic elements. Dilkington was being Dilkington with a wig and the props were cheap, but after all it was a pilot, and it complemented the sombre mockumentary quite well.

The Guardian should be ashamed of itself, in particular Tanya Gold and Stewart Lee. Jesus, that paper really has gone to shit over the last few years. They're like the left wing Daily Mail, just getting angry at random stuff that they haven't seen yet. At least Gervais can take it.

It's a dead cert that there will be a full series of Derek. Gervais basically confirmed it in a a radio interview yesterday.

Yeef

Just watched the pilot. Didn't think it was particularly funny, but I did enjoy it. I'd say it's more of a drama with a couple of light-hearted moments than it is a comedy.

NinjaBoiX

So do people actually think Stewart Lee is an idiot, or do they just not find him funny? Because while the latter is fine, the former is extremely debatable.
Agreed. I don't really "get" him, if I'm honest, but he knows what he's talking about. He seems to be a really smart guy in fact.

I'm not offended, I also love just about everything Gervais does. That said, people who think he comes across like a dick, I sort of agree. To be honest, the more I see of him the more I think he is a dick. Still like all his stuff though. Merchant is first class.

IISANDERII

From watching his stand-up, there's a lot of British references and humor that most Americans wouldn't get. I've actually really come to love his style (especially after visiting London), but I could see why some people might not like it.
Also, many[not just Americans] are still angered over the implications of The Invention of Lying.

Sneds

The Guardian should be ashamed of itself, in particular Tanya Gold and Stewart Lee. Jesus, that paper really has gone to shit over the last few years. They're like the left wing Daily Mail, just getting angry at random stuff that they haven't seen yet. At least Gervais can take it.

To be fair, Gold had seen the pilot and Stewart Lee's comments were aimed at the Derek short Gervais posted online. So neither was commenting on things she/he hadn't seen yet.

hamchan

So I watched it and I quite liked it. Wasn't high on laughs but it was still good. It was the right decision to go for the sad tone rather than just making it a comedy. Much much better than the dreadful Derek short that I had seen previously on youtube. Makes me wonder why Life's Too Short was so terrible if Gervais can still write stories like this.

Oh well, a full TV series of this should be good. Please just cancel Life's Too Short season 2 and focus on this series.

Fusebox

Banned
Gervais is brilliant, I can't understand why some people are so bitter about his work.

And what's the deal with being able to call some a stupid motherfucking idiotic cunt but woah don't call them a mong?

Sneds

Gervais is brilliant, I can't understand why some people are so bitter about his work.

Just because you don't find him funny doesn't mean you are bitter. I think that The Office is one of the best comedy shows every made but I think that everything else he has produced has been average or poor.

And what's the deal with being able to call some a stupid motherfucking idiotic cunt but woah don't call them a mong?

The first insult only targets an individual whereas using a slur based on disabilities insults a whole group of people.

I'm surprised that you have to ask. Do you understand why people object to homophobic/sexist/racial slurs?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
So I watched it and I quite liked it. Wasn't high on laughs but it was still good. It was the right decision to go for the sad tone rather than just making it a comedy. Much much better than the dreadful Derek short that I had seen previously on youtube. Makes me wonder why Life's Too Short was so terrible if Gervais can still write stories like this.

Oh well, a full TV series of this should be good. Please just cancel Life's Too Short season 2 and focus on this series.

I thought the same about the short, thought it looked awful and it was the first thing I've been worried about with Gervais.

I thought it actually turned out pretty great. It wasn't perfect but I felt you got the point of the show and got a real sense of the direction Gervais wanted to go with. I'm interested in seeing more of the characters so hopefully a full series is a go. I just hope he doesn't end up going for the whole slapstick approach that LTS went for.

Bo-Locks

To be fair, Gold had seen the pilot and Stewart Lee's comments were aimed at the Derek short Gervais posted online. So neither was commenting on things she/he hadn't seen yet.

I honestly doubt if she even watched the pilot. She got some key points of her article completely wrong (many people have called her out on it in the comments) and I honestly don't see how the pilot could have been construed as being as awful, vindictive, dangerous and bigoted as the article suggests. If she didn't like the show then fair enough, but her criticisms went beyond that into a realm which I (nor anybody else for that matter) simply didn't see. It's terrible journalism. She probably just half-watched the pilot and then wrote her article to fit her preconceived notions of bigotry formed from the "mong" incident and general internet hysteria.

As for Stewart Lee, the less I say the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom