• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After the Nintendo Switch Launch I feel like I'm coming out of Denial

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

I'm with op here .. im now looking for reasons to NOT cancel my pre-order. I'm thinking maybe I will like having the games on the go.. 2nd thought.. do I really need this? ... I just don't know anymore. I'm feeling more like .. I'm just trying to support Nintendo .. but maybe I don't really need this .. I don't see the audience for this.
You shouldn't feel like you need to support Nintendo when they're trying to get as much money from you by offering as little as possible. Overpriced games and accessories, paid online justified by one month trials, not including a basic charging joycon so you buy one, offering low storage and relying on you to buy a microSD.

HotHamBoy

I have a question, and I don't want to make another thread to add to the crazy huge pile.

Why does Nintendo constantly "got nothing" now? Even after restructuring, consolidating, giving new blood bigger roles, and henceforth, how can they still not keep up with 360-era game development?

They didn't have much at all last year for Wii U or 3DS and they are barely filling out the calendar this year.

So much for the power of consolidation.

You shouldn't feel like you need to support Nintendo when they're trying to get as much money from you by offering as little as possible. Overpriced games and accessories, paid online justified by one month trials, not including a basic charging joycon so you buy one, offering low storage and relying on you to buy a microSD.

There is this strange idea that Nintendo is the pure virgin of virtue and everyone else is a money-grubby whore.

It's possible early adoption just isn't for you.

This happens. I wind up with every Nintendo platform eventually but passed on the 3DS for over two years before it became an attractive value proposition. Launch years are slim, and you have to balance your expected mileage out of them against the other needs in your playing lifestyle, whether they come from backlogs or other machines. Come back when the games you want to play, already available for purchase, are enough to push you over the barrier of the platform's cost.

There are problems with the Switch and good reasons to be hesitant about it (I might not have jumped in myself had I not been promised Super Mario Odyssey by the end of the year), but at the moment the level of hysteria around here is not conducive to rational evaluation either way.

OVDRobo

I'm also in a similar position. I'm strongly considering cancelling and buying one later down the line when interesting games are released and the system is shown to have a viable path rather than being borderline abandoned as the Wii U felt for much of its life.

I've had a pre-order up for a while, but now that the details have been revealed, it seems a technologically poor mashup of weird gimmicks and under-utilised ideas to try and recapture the magical period of the Wii era (for Nintendo, not the core audience) all at a price point near that of a PS4. The thing can't even push 1080p properly at a time where people are already moving on to 4K, it seems almost unusable as a handheld device due to the poor battery life and the online play sounds like a paid-for joke.

I'm still not entirely sure whether it's supposed to be a handheld or a traditional home console, but it's lacking as both currently.

The only good thing to come out of this is that some traditionally handheld franchises will now be playable on a big screen, as is evidenced by the Shin Megami Tensei tease and the game by the Bravely Default developers.

I can only hope in a couple of years time, people won't be looking at this system as the 3DS of home consoles - an excellent library of games limited heavily by abysmal technology that was poor at launch.

With their recent successes, I could see a shift to a greater focus on mobile for Nintendo if the Switch does poorly.

To add some positivity, Breath of the Wild looks absolutely amazing based on the trailer.

sneas78

Banned
Huh. I never look at people's post histories because I'm not a weirdo.

Agendas, lol. What's your agenda? Damage control? Judge and jury?
Yeah he/she is talking about a comment I made in a different thread about " no audience for the switch" but my comment was at the question if the switch was to be successful .. I still pre orderd mine. I don't let that bother me ..

Instro

I was going to wait, but the Gamestop tradein offer has pushed me to go ahead. While I'm sure there will be price drops and bundles in the future, it's unlikely to make up for the amount that you can get out of your WiiU+games right now in tradein money. From my perspective I'm not going to touch the WiiU again going forward anyway, so I might as well get while the getting is good. At least that way I'll have Zelda on the future platform.

zeexlash

The things you were hyped for still apply so focus on that. If you didn't have a Wii U there'll be a lot of cool games for you to catch up on including ports and sequels.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Waiting is always the smart choice.

Waiting should be the defacto mode - but it seems like many already convinced themselves that they could get a cheap system at launch and are now pissed that the dream is dead.

We had a big thread about people being offended at the thought of the system being 250 at launch or Mario not being a launch game.....lol. Rumors are just rumors at the end of the day.

People need to take a look at game lineups at the here and now and not on potential. Many consoles in the past had great potential but no games to play.

Buy the console when the games are released or about to be released. Saves a lot of frustration. The waiting game almost always wins when it comes to consoles. Few exceptions usually being first gen consoles having unique quirks like Dreamcast being able to play copied games and stuff like that.

I keep thinking I am in denial when I view people's thread posting and individual posting histories but then I very clearly see their agendas after 10 seconds of research. No denial here.

Oh look more agenda based / clearly viral marketing posting.
Yep, clearly everyone who doesn't agree that Switch is amazing is just a shill or has an agenda.

Like the guy you quoted, you can't see anything from his post history. Seriously. Only that he or she likes Vita. I'd say you're the one with agenda here.

Paid online and insane prices for accessories are my only real disappointments. I didn't think they would charge for online but here we are. All three console manufacturers are charging for online now...

I really don't get the complaints about the battery life. What did people expect? I thought in this day and age most people own a modern phone or a tablet, so they should have known what to expect. Not just that, but the 3DS and Vita battery life is basically the same, or worse even (I never got 5 or 6 hours out of my 3DS IIRC).

Other than that, I'm happy I got a preorder in. This year the system will get a brand new Zelda, Splatoon 2 and a new 3D Mario. These three games alone shit on the first year of my last three systems (PS4, Wii U and 3DS). I'll gladly take 3 amazing games over 20 mediocre ones. And I imagine more game announcements will come, this was only the first presentation.

sneas78

Banned
Yep, clearly everyone who doesn't agree that Switch is amazing is just a shill or has an agenda.

Like the guy you quoted, you can't see anything from his post history. Seriously. Only that he or she likes Vita. I'd say you're the one with agenda here.
What he or she doesn't know is that I have a Wii U,vita PS4, had a 3ds till last year .. it got stolen.. and now I preordered the switch.. I like ninty games .. MARIO etc.

I'm really trying to see the positive of the game rental situation. With Humble bundle people buy these cheap games to own- but you don't get that boost in multiplayer community. Not every game ends up like Rocket League.

But if Nintendo is adding multiplayer for one month and everyone is focused on that one (hopefully quality) title. It'll be a really great experience unlike anything you can get elsewhere. My worry is that it won't translate well into sales however. The community will be completely dead after that one month. But maybe that's okay too.

They still might fuck it up. I'd like to see a 3 month road map before launch really. There's no point keeping it a surprise.

EDarkness

I've never understood why some people need some validation to get something they want. If you want it, be happy and get it. If not, hold off and wait for when you're hyped enough to have it. No one has to have these things on day one. If it's not your thing, it's just not your thing.

I thought I was going to hold off, but the announcements outside of Zelda really touched my soul, so I'm going for it. I have to support more motion controls and gyro aiming! If you have to convince yourself that this is something you want, then maybe you don't really want it. But if you do, jump in and don't let the negative energy ruin your enjoyment. Hell, hanging around this forum almost sapped my will, but in the end I snapped out of it and jumped in with both feet. I don't care if someone likes it. I know I'll like it, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

So relax, enjoy yourself, and pick up an NS if you want to. Be happy and join those of us who are riding the NS train! Choo choo!!

Taker666

I was on the fence about pre-ordering (nearly did) ..but for that price and fact I own a Wii U for Zelda.....I couldn't really justify it at present.

First Nintendo system I won't have bought at launch. Wii U seemed a better buy in terms of new/exclusive software for the first few months.

I'm also waiting to see what happening in regards to virtual console/Wii U to Switch upgrades/transfers digitally (Reggie has at least mentioned news is coming soon in that regard).

I suspect I'll end up buying it when the new Mario is released..by which time it'll probably be bundled with the game for the same price as the hardware currently is.

When it comes down to it..the big question is..do you want to play Zelda day one and on the Switch.? That the only real reason to bother initially.

oti

Banned
Waiting should be the defacto mode - but it seems like many already convinced themselves that they could get a cheap system at launch and are now pissed that the dream is dead.

We had a big thread about people being offended at the thought of the system being 250 at launch or Mario not being a launch game.....lol. Rumors are just rumors at the end of the day.

Pretty much. But people listening to leakers and adjusting their expectations based on random people on the Internet was pretty dumb too.

Matbtz

They didn't have much at all last year for Wii U or 3DS and they are barely filling out the calendar this year.

So much for the power of consolidation.

There is this strange idea that Nintendo is the pure virgin of virtue and everyone else is a money-grubby whore.

They release Zelda BotW, Splat2n, MK8 deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey in terms of big games. Even considering there are ports in this, it's a pretty good year for Nintendo releases.
And for me it's pretty obvious they didn't announced everything (for obscure reasons, keep things for E3 ?)

Pretty much. But people listening to leakers and adjusting their expectations based on random people on the Internet was pretty dumb too.

Yep for me that's the big reason there is so much negativity around the switch. Because IMO the problem is the price and accessories prices, the rest is pretty much nonsense, the product hasn't changed.

BooJoh

- The most powerful traditional handheld to date
- Catching up with Nintendo Amazing First Party
- Something for Travel
- Keep the Kids happy on trips in the car
- Home Console Games at Home & on the Move

These things are all still true.

- 32GB Storage (I've been living in the all Digital World)
Upgradeable to 160gb+ starting around $40 for a microSD card.
- Paid Online with the bolt on App (This amazes me)
This one is bizarre. Need more info.
- Launch Lineup / Release Pacing
This is always a problem with console launches. This one is particularly affected because so many of its games are available on Wii U already (even if inferior versions)
- The Monthly NES/SNES Game Rental
Lump this in with paid online.
- Battery Life
Not so different from current handhelds.
- Price of Accessories
Agreed, though the controllers do have quite a bit of tech in them.
- 1 2 Switch Existing & Its Price
If the game doesn't interest you, this is a non-issue.

- The Account System
- Purchases going to be tied to the account
- Apps / OS Functionality

All things we'll learn about later.

I was always going to buy this thing day 1 because it's a Nintendo system. For you it sounds like you might want to keep an eye on it and maybe see how things are around the time Mario releases. Early adoption isn't for everyone.

Godan

I tend to get consoles to play games on never bother with the features the console can do. Right away this has a game i really want so i will pick it up.

Never got a Wii U as well so this will be a good thing to get as i am sure it will have more games down the line i will want to play.

I guess consoles are more to people now that just playing games.

When someone has 1/10th of a post per day on average, and in their actual post in this actual thread goes from effectively saying "I thought I needed Switch but I am not sure I do anymore" in broken sentences and then transitions suddenly and concludes with "who will actually buy this?" I am pretty sure the agenda is crystal clear. Please continue though.

Rootbeer

Banned
I haven't been this excited for a Nintendo console launch ever, and I've been around since the NES days. I feel like Nintendo has found the truest most honest version of what it needs to be in the modern era, with a unified platform that knows it has to differentiate itself from both traditional consoles dominated by Sony/MS and from iOS/Android smart devices, and actually has a convincing angle for achieving that this time around.

From your post it sounds like playing Switch with your kids, or letting them play it together to occupy themselves, is a big factor for you. So I don't get why the online paywall is a dealbreaker when it's clear from what we've seen it has strong local multiplayer features. Two people can play using the joycons out-of-the-box without needing a subscription to anything. Maybe three or more if you have more joycons and/or a pro controller.

32GB & "all digital world" -- I don't see this as a Switch issue -- it's a stubbornness on your part, sorry to say. Nintendo carts are small and very portable. You can store 24 of them in a carrying case like this one -- about the size of a sandwich, very easy to travel with. Most Switch carrying cases also have slots for carts. I'd recommend saving that 32GB of space for "digital only" content. You can also throw in a $15 microSDXC card to expand it by an additional 64gb. Is it really so bad? Tons of people do this on their android phones.

At the end of the day, if the cons outweigh the pros for your use case, there is nothing wrong with simply waiting it out. For myself, while the value proposition is not a strong factor with the Switch and all the accessories and addons (like a MicroSDXC card) I'm going to need, I'm won over by the strong library (both launch and coming soon) and unique features of its hardware.

Gekzee

Banned
Maybe, just perhaps, they didn't announce every single title in development yesterday.
It still remains a Nintendo console though, so barely any third party support and whilst Nintendo have a fair few studios, they simply can't pad out a whole consoles lineup to keep everyone interested in the long run, and I'm not really seeing that magical "you gotta try this!" game like Wii Sports in what they have announced already.

Expect another Mario/Zelda box with high sales when those games come out, and high trade-ins after.

oti

Banned
I was on the fence about pre-ordering (nearly did) ..but for that price and fact I own a Wii U for Zelda.....I couldn't really justify it at present.

First Nintendo system I won't have bought at launch. Wii U seemed a better buy in terms of new/exclusive software for the first few months.

I'm also waiting to see what happening in regards to virtual console/Wii U to Switch upgrades/transfers digitally (Reggie has at least mentioned news is coming soon in that regard).

I suspect I'll end up buying it when the new Mario is released..by which time it'll probably be bundled with the game for the same price as the hardware currently is.

I sold my Wii U during Christmas season least year. Got a lot of money off that so I don't have to pay that much more money for my Switch purchase. In your situation I'd just get Zelda on Wii U too. Switch ain't running away.

Maybe, just perhaps, they didn't announce every single title in development yesterday.

The more important question is, why didn't they announce them?

People seem to forget the importance of the yesterday event. The Switch is coming out in 7 weeks, the event was supposed to be the last marketing push Nintendo could do to make people run out to buy the Switch. If they have many big titles in development, it was the best time to let public know. They event announced a game that just enter its development ffs. If they have a new Metroid, Pokémon, etc cooking. Why can't they let us know?

EDarkness

It still remains a Nintendo console though, so barely any third party support and whilst Nintendo have a fair few studios, they simply can't pad out a whole consoles lineup to keep everyone interested in the long run, and I'm not really seeing that magical "you gotta try this!" game like Wii Sports in what they have announced already.

Expect another Mario/Zelda box with high sales when those games come out, and high trade-ins after.

I think they could pad it out, but based on the way Reggie was talking, it seemed like this was a conscious effort to spread things out so that they didn't overload the launch with a bunch of software. Now, what software they chose to have maybe be questionable, but I can totally see them trying to make sure there are games throughout the year and spaced out in a way there's no drought.

Maybe they failed, but I think their heart was in the right place.

OP if you are on the fence, then you should cancel the preorder. Unless you really want to play Zelda, there's very little reason so far to buy it.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
I won't buy at launch. I will buy at Xeno2 release. I'm just hoping all those 3ds developers will have something announced for Switch by then. Current announced lineup is incredibly thin right now

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I sold my Wii U during Christmas season least year. Got a lot of money off that so I don't have to pay that much more money for my Switch purchase. In your situation I'd just get Zelda on Wii U too. Switch ain't running away.
I'm getting Zelda on Wii U as well now.

Switch is the only handheld on the market from here on out so I will have to get it at some point, but with the game lineup as dire as it is and the price being insane, I'm definitely gonna wait a good while and just get the one Switch game I actually do want to play on the system I already own.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah i't not like me to feel this negative (or post negative threads) on some new stuff, I know everything is not for me.

I was someone who imported a PSP way ahead of UK release so I could play on the most powerful handheld back then.

The launch was just so bad for me, I'll hold on and see but its weird how little it's doing for my to buy right away as I'm always day 1.

Yeah thats what I'll do before Amazon charge if I don't change my mind, it's weird to feel so flat on a new gaming system.

Gaming has been my biggest hobby for most of my life.as soon as I had my own income I pretty much bought every console at launch - often importing from Japan to get it earlier. The buzz and the new tech was great. The post launch drought was inevitable but you'd ride it out

Maybe it's a combination of me being older now, having a job that leaves little time for gaming, realising my existing backlog is impossible to clear, and Nintendo burning me on both wiiU and 3DS (got both at launch). But switch has me looking for reasons to buy and I'm struggling. I should be excited for the amount of power in a handheld, but everything seems so WiiU like that I've already played that in my hands (yes I know it was tethered but I play handhelds mostly in the house anyway)

I think i'll be at least waiting until Mario comes out, and hope for an ambassador-style price correction by then.

RPGam3r

Stop hanging out in places that make mountains out of molehills. I'm excited, my daughter is excited, and this is just their first reveal.

With that said cancel if you don't want it.

Instro

I'm sure, but it doesn't bode well for the near future.

Yeah betting on more announcements for this year is not a good idea. Maybe they have more things up their sleeve for directs/E3 in the next couple months pre/post launch, but no one should be counting on that right now. If you're purchasing this thing, just expect what you've seen so far for the 2017 lineup to be the only things first party wise.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I can only recall NSMBU, Nintendoland, and Zombi U as the only things of note for quite some time on the system. Otherwise it was an even worse value proposition at the time, other than getting Nintendo stuff in HD for the first time.

OP if you are on the fence, then you should cancel the preorder. Unless you really want to play Zelda, there's very little reason so far to buy it.
What's the harm in keeping it until late February? More information will come out for or against the Switch... it's a safe bet.

BooJoh

Switch is the only handheld on the market from here on out so I will have to get it at some point, but with the game lineup as dire as it is and the price being insane, I'm definitely gonna wait a good while and just get the one Switch game I actually do want to play on the system I already own.

3DS still exists and there could be unannounced games they aren't showing because they're shining the spotlight on Switch atm. We also don't know how Switch will perform as either a console or a handheld. I'd at least wait until after E3 to pronounce 3DS dead.

The only thing tempting me to get a Switch at launch now is Zelda looking better, and that's kinda sad. But even worse is that it may be the thing pushing me over the edge when the difference is significant.

No matter how few Nintendo ship, much like the Wii U they will be gathering dust on shelves come the Mario launch, so yeah, no rush, and there will probably be a price drop/pack in by then too.

HotHamBoy

Yeah betting on more announcements for this year is not a good idea. Maybe they have more things up their sleeve for directs/E3 in the next couple months pre/post launch, but no one should be counting on that right now. If you're purchasing this thing, just expect what you've seen so far for the 2017 lineup to be the only things first party wise.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I can only recall NSMBU, Nintendoland, and Zombi U as the only things of note for quite some time on the system. Otherwise it was an even worse value proposition at the time, other than getting Nintendo stuff in HD for the first time.

I'd actually be surprised if they didn't have more 2017 games to reveal in the next few months , but I also can't imagine them releasing before the Fall. There's really no hurry with this thing.

I think we will get announcements for Smash 4 Switch, Mario Maker and Pokemon Stars, maybe some small eShop games or a sequel to Captain Toad. They will probably be revealed around E3 and launch between October-December.

And you are right about the Wii U line up for first party. Third party was actually pretty decent if you were cool with year-old ports.

eFKac

Some of those issues will (hopefully) improve with time.

I would just cancel the preorder OP and get one when you'll be genuinely convinced about your purchased, cause otherwise you'll be hit with remorse very quickly.

I'll be on board when Pokemon or Smash Brothers are released. This will be the first console since SNES days I don't buy on launch. I think Nintendo's seriously dropped the ball.

The one thing Switch can rely on is its handheld library in the long term. Regardless, I'll be picking it up in the long term. I'm not sure how much of the public will be convinced.

Why do you think NES and Snes rental is a bad thing? It's pretty good for some quick nostalgia trip.
Retro games I purchased digitally are collecting (digital) dust in my library.

Xando

I'm with you OP.

Just gonna wait until the Holidays/early next year since i'm pretty sure they'll have a 100-150€ pricecut within the first year.

oti

Banned
Why do you think NES and Snes rental is a bad thing? It's pretty good for some quick nostalgia trip.
Retro games I purchased digitally are collecting (digital) dust in my library.
If this service is 1€ a month, sure.
If this service is 5€ a month I'd question Nintendo's sanity.

I was super hyped for

- The most powerful traditional handheld to date
- Catching up with Nintendo Amazing First Party
- Something for Travel
- Keep the Kids happy on trips in the car
- Home Console Games at Home & on the Move

So many things seem to be stacking on top of each other to really put me off having this thing

- 32GB Storage (I've been living in the all Digital World)
- Paid Online with the bolt on App (This amazes me)
- Launch Lineup / Release Pacing
- The Monthly NES/SNES Game Rental
- Battery Life
- Price of Accessories
- 1 2 Switch Existing & Its Price

All the things you were hyped for are true! That's exactly why I'm getting it!

32GB storage is a bummer, but hey, I'm a Vita owner. The price of standard SD cards for the Switch already feels like a win to me =P Launch lineup is the same story for every console and handheld, except we have Zelda (great for people like me who don't own a Wii U). Not sure what you mean about NES/SNES game rental, but you get a free NES/SNES game every month if you pay for online play (which is free until the end of the year anyway while they work out any kinks). Personally I doubt I'll want to game online with this anyway - it's just a new handheld to me that can play Zelda Breath of the Wild quality games. As for the accessories, yep, pricey as hell, but aren't they all? For every console? Chances are there'll be third party alternatives for cheaper, but the best solution is simply not to lose anything =P

Honestly, if you wanted this to be a handheld first and console second, this seems like a huge win. 3DS battery life was 3-5 hours. New 3DS was 3.5-6 hours. Switch is 3-6 hours. Seems solid to me.

hemo memo

Gold Member
My advice to any Nintendo fan who own a Wii U to just wait. You can play the major title for the console for a console you already own and I don't think the difference is worth the price. No reason to buy this day one. Remember the 3DS with the price-cut we maybe looking at similar situation here.

This is not the NES classic. Don't worry about not able to buy one and artificial scarcity and the "sold out everywhere" headlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom