• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

Coxy

really happy to see 38% of them pick up allstars, it's cheap and for my money the best launch title

Elios83

Here in Italy the launch was absolutely low key.
Many smaller retailers and shopping malls just didn't bother, no games, no units, no promotional stuff as if the launch didn't happen.
Gamestop had Wii U stuff just inside the store, outside they were promoting PS3, 360 and used games deals.
So take if for what it's worth but the launch was terrible, demand doesn't seem very high but Nintendo is definetly at fault here.

Over at the Sheffield City Centre GAME on Saturday, they had a listing of how many Basic/Premium consoles they had left when I went in the morning. That number didn't go down (10/9 respectively) the whole day until I purchased a Premium an hour before closing.

Skyzard

Banned
Over at the Sheffield City Centre GAME on Saturday, they had a listing of how many Basic/Premium consoles they had left when I went in the morning. That number didn't go down (10/9 respectively) the whole day until I purchased a Premium an hour before closing.

Ouch..

40,000?

Thats sad to see, haven't seen a console sell that badly in a long time at launch here (Most sell around 100k-180k on day 1).

Still hopefully it will pick up, great console and Miiverse is fantastic.

40,000?

Thats sad to see, haven't seen a console sell that badly in a long time at launch here (Most sell around 100k-180k on day 1).

Still hopefully it will pick up, great console and Miiverse is fantastic.

Not according to the figures we have for the last console batch. Still a pretty terrible launch hardware sales wise if stock is as plentiful as people are making it seem.

As anecdotal as it is, I saw the same stock on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in various Fnac stores around Lisbon. Maybe they got more from their warehouse ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MCV article.

2:1 ratio would be very interesting if it ends up being true though. Need those 3rd parties to clamber to get WiiU games on the shelves. Ubisoft deserve rewarding for their efforts at launch.

when the vast majority of units sold were with bundled software (90% had either ZombiU or Nintendoland), then a 2:1 ratio only suggests people buying one additional game. Not that unexpected really.

These are the relevant comparison figures:

360 - 70K
PS3 - 165K
Wii - 105K

First week sales as tracked by ChartTrack/GfK.

are they full week sales or opening weekend? If full week, then we need to give Nintendo a few more days. But it still looks on the low side, and yes, doesn't seem supply constrained at all, so that spin rings hollow.

UK market is in shambles, but this is still an awful launch. US numbers will give us a clearer picture of the entire situation.

Joni

What's the basis of this notion of successive daily rollout of units? It makes no logistical sense.

It does absolutely. For retailers. You keep stock small, requiring a lot less storage space in stores and in your general warehouse. It requires a very efficient supply chain though and a lot of cooperation of the product makers. I doubt it makes sense for Nintendo, unless stores were already expecting low sales. You don't do this if you expect a Wii-style sell-out.

urfe

This is too bad for Nintendo, but I'm going to reserve judgements until around March of next year when things like supply, games and marketing should no longer be a problem.

Do people think word-of-mouth is going to do it a lot of good?

are they full week sales or opening weekend? If full week, then we need to give Nintendo a few more days. But it still looks on the low side, and yes, doesn't seem supply constrained at all, so that spin rings hollow.
They're all launch weekend numbers I believe.

Coolwhip

Banned
The economy is terrible, the UK games market is terrible. So you can't compare it 1:1 to 7 years ago. Especially since these numbers aren't official yet and not even full week numbers.

Not according to the figures we have for the last console batch. Still a pretty terrible launch hardware sales wise if stock is as plentiful as people are making it seem.

If i remember right, the Wii did about 110K (sell out), the 360 around 80K (sell out), PS3 165K (not a complete sell out), PSP 185K (sell out).

Really its only the Vita which has had a poor launch here

It is a shame about the Wii U's start but you could see it coming. The vast majority of people have no idea what it is.

I have one source (head buyer for a large retailer) saying they sold more 360s and PS3s than Wii U over the weekend, only Friday had larger sales for Wii U as it was launch day. He said that Sony and MS seem to have managed to drop their prices at exactly the right time to take all the wind out of Nintendo's sails and the marketing push from both has been much greater than Nintendo in the same week which they found disappointing.

He said if sales don't pick up this week they are going to postpone reorders until later in December.

nickcv

Here in Italy the launch was absolutely low key.
Many smaller retailers and shopping malls just didn't bother, no games, no units, no promotional stuff as if the launch didn't happen.
Gamestop had Wii U stuff just inside the store, outside they were promoting PS3, 360 and used games deals.
So take if for what it's worth but the launch was terrible, demand doesn't seem very high but Nintendo is definetly at fault here.

when did we ever had a console launch that was not low key here in italy?

AHA-Lambda

I have one source (head buyer for a large retailer) saying they sold more 360s and PS3s than Wii U over the weekend, only Friday had larger sales for Wii U as it was launch day. He said that Sony and MS seem to have managed to drop their prices at exactly the right time to take all the wind out of Nintendo's sails and the marketing push from both has been much greater than Nintendo in the same week which they found disappointing.

He said if sales don't pick up this week they are going to postpone reorders until later in December.

Dayum...

What did the 3DS do opening weekend? Over 100k wasnt it.

Believe it was 110k.

It doesn't surprise me that the PS3/360 are outselling the Wii U. That was bound to happen like it pretty much does going into every new gen. What does surprise me is Nintendo basic ambivalence about the fact that they are launching a new console that will determine their future for the next 5-6 years.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The economy is terrible, the UK games market is terrible. So you can't compare it 1:1 to 7 years ago. Especially since these numbers aren't official yet and not even full week numbers.

Lets not try and play-act as economists suddenly. The Vita sold more in a recession in February, we are no longer currently in a recession and it is Christmas shopping season, and theres a sodding Mario game at launch. There is no spin to play here, its not doing well.

nickcv

The article is not totally correct or their is something missing. i doubt their is a sell out

Some other stats we estimated

credits - miladsen

360 - 70K
PS3 - 165K
Wii - 105K

First week sales as tracked by ChartTrack/GfK.

Wii U hardware:
Sold less then Vita
60% Nintendo Land Bundles.
30% ZombiU Bundles.
10% Basic

Wii U Software

Assassin's Creed III, 3% or 1618 copies.
Call of Duty Black Ops II 1%
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed 38%
Just Dance 4 3%

The only 3 games charting, there are no Wii U only charts on the site yet.
1- Nintendo Land* (rumored to be 26k on here)
2- New Super Mario Bros U
3- ZombiU*

*including hardware bundles.

added to the op, thanks!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Doesn't sound too hot. Well most of my gaming friends probably don't even know this thing is out now.
Probably has to do with the fact that central Europe is PC land. Also marketing in the German market is poor, with the advertisments being pretty shitty.

ChartTrack first week, so with Friday launches it is a comparable sales period.

PaulLFC

Weirdly, the GAME in Liverpool had Wii U boxes with "SOLD OUT" stickers in the windows in the run up to launch - whether they got more stock in before launch I'm not sure. It seems from anecdotal evidence to be the exception to the rule with the launch though.

40,000 is... hmm. Disappointing I'd say given past console launches.

Pranay

Doesn't sound too hot. Well most of my gaming friends probably don't even know this thing is out now.
Probably has to do with the fact that central Europe is PC land. Also marketing in the German market is poor, with the advertisments being pretty shitty.

sony land as well ;)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
UK market is in shambles, but this is still an awful launch. US numbers will give us a clearer picture of the entire situation.

Well, you price it higher than what the market will pay for it, and this happens.

The 40k are going to be the hardcore, who would've bought this regardless, just like the 3DS launch. Since then, they have learned exactly nothing it seems. Wii U is £50 too expensive for both models and until the price drops, it will bomb, again like 3DS here.

On the positive side, at least we'll be another ambassador program, hopefully, although Japan may save the day for Nintendo here.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

this is one of those posts which would ideally be delivered with no punctuation.

Holy cow, not good for Nintendo

El-Suave

Haven't we learned anything about MCV from the "journalism" thread?
I wish this console had launched better, we could use some good launch success stories after Vita.

Well, you price it higher than what the market will pay for it, and this happens.

The 40k are going to be the hardcore, who would've bought this regardless, just like the 3DS launch. Since then, they have learned exactly nothing it seems. Wii U is £50 too expensive for both models and until the price drops, it will bomb, again like 3DS here.

On the positive side, at least we'll be another ambassador program, hopefully, although Japan may save the day for Nintendo here.

Not if DCCharlie has anything to do with it! But yeah, I'm more interested than ever to see the Japanese sales numbers.

They're not sold out, I was in GAME yesterday and they had consoles but now way in hell am I paying their crazy prices. 309.99 is really an insane price.

All online stores, supermarkets and otherwise are rich with stock
Not all online stores. Amazon have been out of stock of premiums for a few days, they're expecting more tomorrow. Zavvi don't have Premium packs and the basic is shown as "Usually dispatched within a month". Premium isn't available at Sainsburys, basic is on pre-order. HMV are totally out of stock.
Tesco, Shopto and Toys 'r' Us are showing stock though. It's mixed, but most I've check seem to be sold out.

Top Bottom