• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Origins |OT| A Far Cry From Historical Fact

cormack12

Gold Member
I had the digital deluxe pre-order on my wishlist to order today from the PSN online store. Looks like everything has been removed except the vanilla origins version? Even the one with the season pass content. I can't remember the edition names - like gold or something maybe.

It was discounted for PSN+ members - do all pre-orders disappear on the day of release normally? Even the bundles with the extra content? Like the GTS:DD edition is still there. Am sure you could pre-order that as well, even if it came with extra pre-order content.

c0pium

Neo Member
Played for a bit on OG PS4 yesterday and I wasn't blown away. I find the control scheme hard to get the hang of. The graphics are ok. Not a huge fan of the new combat, but I probably just have to get used to it too.

royox

Will I lose some important lore stuff If I only played the first trilogy (Including the 3 Ezio games of course)?. After 3 I stoped caring about this saga but the good reviews are growing my interest on this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Will I lose some important lore stuff If I only played the first trilogy (Including the 3 Ezio games of course)?. After 3 I stoped caring about this saga but the good reviews are growing my interest on this.

Not at all.

There is some overarching stuff far in the distance, but there's no direct connection between the games that requires you to read a plot synopsis or something.

If any, the overarching stuff gradually got worse after Revelations so if you played up to then you're pretty much good to go. Abstergo = evil, Assassins = good, Piece of Eden, that's pretty much it.

xrnzaaas

Nah, Apples of Eden are powerful articats, Templars hate Assassins and vice versa, Abstergo are the modern day bad guys. That's all you need to know. ;p

I'm so torn. I have a Pro but want to play this game and have an X preordered. Will it look and play that bad on a One S until the X comes out?

OP, give the thread some color, add this if you want. ;)

AssassinsCreedOriginsHERO-hero.jpg

valkyre

Yeah I am not really updated in detail about certain stuff, like editions of a game and such, but I only now realized that there is an edition of this game that costs 800$???

Are you fucking kidding me? lmao who buys this shit and more importantly why?

Disclaimer: I aint poor, far from it, but I find the fact that a videogame edition costs more than an iphone 8 ludicrous.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah I am not really updated in detail about certain stuff, like editions of a game and such, but I only now realized that there is an edition of this game that costs 800$???

Are you fucking kidding me? lmao who buys this shit and more importantly why?

Disclaimer: I aint poor, far from it, but I find the fact that a videogame edition costs more than an iphone 8 ludicrous.
Isn't that the edition that has something with pure gold in it?
If there are people out there willing to pay this much, let Ubisoft sell it to them. No harm done to anyone I say.

Klendathu

I was on the verge of pre-ordering this yesterday but having reflected on it for an hour, was put off by the levelling mechanic which means you can't kill (or sometimes even damage) higher level enemies. This just seems such an arbitrary restriction in a game which used to reward exploration and putting your nose where it wasn't wanted.

For those fo you you've played this game some, can you comment how this works in practise? If it only impacts you're available to do main quest missions then that's not so bad but if there are arbitrarily high level enemies dotted around with no narrative explanation I think that's a deal breaker for me.

I'm so torn. I have a Pro but want to play this game and have an X preordered. Will it look and play that bad on a One S until the X comes out?

Get in on the Pro like i did, the wait is killing me..then Prime it back (exchange) get the X ver.

xrnzaaas

I was on the verge of pre-ordering this yesterday but having reflected on it for an hour, was put off by the levelling mechanic which means you can't kill (or sometimes even damage) higher level enemies. This just seems such an arbitrary restriction in a game which used to reward exploration and putting your nose where it wasn't wanted.

For those fo you you've played this game some, can you comment how this works in practise? If it only impacts you're available to do main quest missions then that's not so bad but if there are arbitrarily high level enemies dotted around with no narrative explanation I think that's a deal breaker for me.

You basically can't harm any enemy or any animal that's on a higher level than you (significantly higher, not only 1-2 levels higher). They on the other hand can usually kill you with about 2 hits. This applies to all enemies. I got slaughtered by a single high level hyena not long ago. It can be pretty annoying if you want to storm through the game or visit some cool area (like Giza) too soon, if you take it slower you'll always be at least several levels above the requirements of the next main quest.

Theorry

I really like the tombs. With the wind going through it and some parts where you really need a torch otherwise its pitch black.

UnkemptElectricArmednylonshrimp-max-14mb.gif

Klendathu

You basically can't harm any enemy or any animal that's on a higher level than you (significantly higher, not only 1-2 levels higher). They on the other hand can usually kill you with about 2 hits. This applies to all enemies. I got slaughtered by a single high level hyena not long ago. It can be pretty annoying if you want to storm through the game or visit some cool area (like Giza) too soon, if you take it slower you'll always be at least several levels above the requirements of the next main quest.

Cheers. I'm pretty awful in open worlds in that I cannot simply go from A to Z I have to go via B to Y, so I'm never pounding again the main campaign. Perhaps this implementation won't be too bad.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I haven't played that far into it yet (just got into Alexandria) but
there is a modern day story and the char is named and playable
Thanks. Glad to hear that the main character isn't a shell anymore.

Should get this game later when I get home from work. Trying to decide weather to wait for the HDR patch to hit or start the game right away. Decisions...

Anoxida

Really hate how they lock ezio and altair's costumes behind XP. You'd need to complete the game to afford Ezio's basically and you need to complete the other creed games on Uplay in order to afford altair's. wuuuut.

dealer-

This is one of the biggest titles for the X so I'd definitely get it on Xbox, even if you have to play it on the S for a while. AC games have pretty much looked the same on both consoles this gen.

Maedre

Banned
Can some tell me how I can access the deluxe edition items? When I go to the screen where the bonus items are listet the Games says that i habe it but when I try to instal it I get the store message that I can’t acces this package.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Might as well cross-post some screens from the first half hour from the PS4 Pro. Down-sampled to 1080p via the PS4 share app. Game looks very good on my 4K TV, also .. some of the best water effects I've seen.

Alebelly

Im enjoying it, so far. Once I figured out that always holding the shield up in combat forces you to face the enemies, that made combat more sensible and easier. I put the HUD on minimal, you have to select locations on the map for the marker to show up on screen, liking that so far. Looks good on Pro and a 4k TV, I imagine it will look great on the XboX. But really a switch to 60fps would easily make the most dramatic impact. Game seems buggy, Ive found cows stuck in the ground with only their head and front legs sticking out, pretty funny actually, things just seem like their on the verge of falling through the map or flying away entirely, like the whole thing wants to fall apart, but it hasn't. So hopefully some patches coming out to strengthen the integrity of the world.

But yeah, enjoying it.

I'm holding out until the X drops. Can't wait though, I want to wade through the Crocodile infested waters like a true Floridian. Disgusting creatures.

adamsapple

are textures ok on the pro? saw a few pictures around that looked quite rough. Dunno if it was legit though

EDIT: Well that doesnt look such a great looking Pro port...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3X1A7g9LoA

I don't know what you're talking about .. looks pretty good on the Pro. Look at the screens I posted above, they're from the Pro. It probably doesn't do Pro-only high rez textures but otherwise the IQ is incredible and I wouldn't be surprised if there's other enhancements like better texture filtering and whatnot.

I really like the tombs. With the wind going through it and some parts where you really need a torch otherwise its pitch black.

UnkemptElectricArmednylonshrimp-size_restricted.gif

The first tomb was really cool. I took the day off work to play this and I’m not disappointed!

The Witcher 3 never clicked with me I think because of the basic European flavored fantasy setting but the world was fantastic. This game gives me the same world vibes but I LOVE the Egyptian setting!

So apparently the origin of the assassins comes from the Witcher 3 and Destiny having a baby. I guess that’s the modern day connection. 😜

The one thing I am struggling with are the combat controls. Sometimes things don’t seem super responsive. Also when there are multiple enemies they just seem to swarm sometimes and I can’t dodge Asay and switch targets fast enough to keep up. I feel like I’m slowly getting better though.

Unity2012

This is one of the biggest titles for the X so I'd definitely get it on Xbox, even if you have to play it on the S for a while. AC games have pretty much looked the same on both consoles this gen.

Playing on the S, for now, on a 4k tv and it looks crisp, beautiful. I'm sure the X will be even better but right now looks great; until then, I'll be exploring and completing some xtra missions

valkyre

I don't know what you're talking about .. looks pretty good on the Pro. Look at the screens I posted above, they're from the Pro. It probably doesn't do Pro-only high rez textures but otherwise the IQ is incredible and I wouldn't be surprised if there's other enhancements like better texture filtering and whatnot.

Pro isn't 16x AF, but outside of that everything seems fine, looks good, its rendering a huge open space with a lot of detailed objects and NPCs, so there will be some compromises

Guys mainly talking about the lack of improvement over the base ps4 version. Textures look same AF looks the same, just a bump in res. I never said the game aint pretty but I sure as hell can tell that Pro doesnt look like it got any special treatment.

Whatever the case I am waiting for DF analysis for a more accurate portrayal.

Alebelly

Guys mainly talking about the lack of improvement over the base ps4 version. Textures look same AF looks the same, just a bump in res. I never said the game aint pretty but I sure as hell can tell that Pro doesnt look like it got any special treatment.

Oh, ok, I think some reviews pointed out an increased draw distance

adamsapple

Oh, ok, I think some reviews pointed out an increased draw distance

Yeah, I think upgrades will be in line with what Mordor did, but Xbox X will likely do 1 better and have higher resolution textures over the Pro version.

valkyre

Yeah, I think upgrades will be in line with what Mordor did, but Xbox X will likely do 1 better and have higher resolution textures over the Pro version.

Which is kinda shitty if you ask me... so far most Pro games have tweaks and improvements...apart from the res bump...

Alebelly

Kinda cool, hiding in the grass, whistle to draw an enemy to me for a stealth kill, instead dude turns around and goes and grabs a couple buddies, then they start lookin for me

Top Bottom