• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 2 days after launch there was only one person that would show up on Near for me which isn't surprising since I live in a really small town. I boot up Near today and there is 12 people. Pretty dang cool.

On the 15th I was one of 2, it has slowly gotten larger. Last night near said 105.

I think they show you the 9 people closest to you.
Some could also not be sending out their info so you wouldn't see thier icon, just the smiley face.

How is 2048 online? Am I going to get my arse kicked or what?

It ran really well the other night when I first tried it. Not sure how much you'll get your ass kicked though since I haven't played much online. I'm not very good at these games and I took 1st in one of the two races I tried. The other race I got crushed. That was the first time I played that track though. I'm guessing I'll be getting crushed more than winning though. Great game.

Also, I don't have any PSN friends so if anyone wants to add me please do. My PSN name is MrJellyBean. Wouldn't mind some people for the leaderboards. I got Wipeout, HSG, SSD, Uncharted, Mutant Blob and I'll probably be picking up a few games during that Toys R Us sale.

GringoJB

What are the good minis? And do any of them look good on Vita? There are quite a few with PS+ discounts.

It's a really basic shooter ("schmup"? whatever), but Flying Hamster is cute/funny, I thought. You dodge milk that a cow forcefully shoots out of its udder at one point if that tells you anything ;-)

So yeah, I'm loving the Vita so far, but as far as the lockups go, the only times that it's ever happened to me was right after I connected to the wireless at a Panera Bread (two different stores, two different times). My home wifi and various other ones have been no problem at all... weirdness.

SRTtoZ

How is 2048 online? Am I going to get my arse kicked or what?

At first you will but just hang in there and you will get way better. The best part so far for me is not lagging at all in the multiplayer...and the interface is seamless between single and multi, I love it.

ss_lemonade

I live in the philippines and couldn't get Near to work for me until now. Decided to bring my vita to work, connected to our office's wifi connection and tried Near again. Now the app is recognizing me as someone from Virginia?? I'm not sure how this actually works, but isn't location going to be based on IP since I only have a non 3g unit? My boss is from Virginia though so maybe he has something setup here so that the ISP IP resolves to a different location?

Metalmarc

vita should've had a removable battery then we could've done the battery remove reset trick for some lock ups

damn you sony what were you thinking. i demand this in a future slim model

still not bought one yet mind

I live in the philippines and couldn't get Near to work for me until now. Decided to bring my vita to work, connected to our office's wifi connection and tried Near again. Now the app is recognizing me as someone from Virginia?? I'm not sure how this actually works, but isn't location going to be based on IP since I only have a non 3g unit? My boss is from Virginia though so maybe he has something setup here so that the ISP IP resolves to a different location?

Probably the location your IP address is associated with. I work in Canada and when I'm at work websites give me weather data and search results for New Jersey

Hieberrr

I just played the Vita at a Futureshop near my school and my goodness is that thing massive. I'm very impressed with the screen and just how slim the thing is. But I do have to say that the face buttons are tiny. They work, but they are a little small. I tried a short demo of HSG and a bit of Uncharted, and while they looked good, jaggies were everywhere. Is it like this for every game or just the ones I tried?

I just played the Vita at a Futureshop near my school and my goodness is that thing massive. I'm very impressed with the screen and just how slim the thing is. But I do have to say that the face buttons are tiny. They work, but they are a little small. I tried a short demo of HSG and a bit of Uncharted, and while they looked good, jaggies were everywhere. Is it like this for every game or just the ones I tried?
Both those games run in sub-native resolution. There are other games with better overall image quality.

theBishop

Banned
If near serves one purpose, despite its obscurity at times, it's that of 'social proof'.

I dunno, that "social proof" wouldn't be necessary if we didn't spend so much time on message boards, paying attention to sales figures and analysts who don't play games.

I got a Near challenge to beat someone's time on Wipeout. With one 'click' i was jumped into the challenge course, racing a ghost of the ship holding the current record. I beat the time and the challenger's feed was updated. To me that's the best example of what Near does.

see5harp

While Hot Shots is my favorite launch game, it is one of the least impressive visually.

darkwing

I dunno, that "social proof" wouldn't be necessary if we didn't spend so much time on message boards, paying attention to sales figures and analysts who don't play games.

I got a Near challenge to beat someone's time on Wipeout. With one 'click' i was jumped into the challenge course, racing a ghost of the ship holding the current record. I beat the time and the challenger's feed was updated. To me that's the best example of what Near does.

does Lumines have this feature too?

So 2 days after launch there was only one person that would show up on Near for me which isn't surprising since I live in a really small town. I boot up Near today and there is 12 people. Pretty dang cool.

Sony should extend this app to the ps3. Let people see who has a psE and vita around then and start giving out console game gifts. Would probably get more people interested in the systems and the games.

GQman2121

Banned
Now I'm starting to get pissed. Ordered a 32gb card from Lockerz. Was told they were on back order and it would be shipped out the middle of this week. I haven't gotten any shipping notification and now they haven't responded to my emails in the last couple of days.
That is how they do it. It took four days to respond to my question about my order, and then an additional four days to receive my cancellation confirmation. It then took three days for them to unclaim my pending funds on Pay Pal. They're a fucking mess with these cards. I'm sure it would have gone smoothly if they had them in stock. As it stands, they don't seem to have the infrastructure to deal with customers who have concerns about the info they're being provided regarding their orders. Never. Again.

Sylver

Banned
Finally flying to my home:
14QO1.png

I downloaded a bunch of PSP games last night and started playing them again... then I remembered that I bought the digital copy of Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe. So, I downloaded it... but it wouldn't copy over the the Vita and doesn't show up on the Vita download list.

Sad, sad, sad. That is the one PSP game I am dying to have on the Vita.

Regardless, this system is absolutely amazing. Also, my brother just bought one today! Another one!

SRTtoZ

I'm having second thoughts on getting the Vita version of MLB 12 because its missing a few features that the Console version has, mainly the huge leap in presentation they are integrating this year. Maybe this will force me into the Buy BOTH for $80 since I was only planning on getting the Vita version anyway...

Alchemy

I'm having second thoughts on getting the Vita version of MLB 12 because its missing a few features that the Console version has, mainly the huge leap in presentation they are integrating this year. Maybe this will force me into the Buy BOTH since I was only planning on getting the Vita version anyway...

Switching between two different presentation styles would drive me insane.

theBishop

Banned
I just got this email from TigerDirect (re: buy.com $40 32GB Vita card)

Thank you for your recent order. We are writing to you in regards to our previous notice for the PlayStation 32GB Vita Memory Card. We sincerely apologize for the listing error.

We have contacted our supplier and would like you to know that we will fulfill your order as originally placed; and assure you that we will honor the original price you expected.

Since this product will not be listed online. A new order would have to be placed directly with us. The supplier is expecting the inventory by the end of next week.
If you choose to reorder please click on the link below and we will contact you.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve this issue.

:D

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Switching between two different presentation styles would drive me insane.

This is the main reason I am only getting the Vita version this year. I figure if I don't see the new presentation things, i wont miss them on the vita. Next year they should both have that expanded presentation. Still, the buy both for 80 is a good deal.....

AiTM

Banned
Its amazing how much time I have put into this console. Someone made a thread awhile back comparing the Vita to the PS2. And that really sums up how I feel about the hardware. The experience feels similar to how I felt when I got a PS2. It feels like a real successor. I have never been a handheld gamer my whole life, but this thing is all I want to play lately. The hardware, the software, Sony really did such a great job with it.

I really hope it does well.

fixuis

Amazing handheld! I've played rayman origins, uncharted and unit 13 so far and have been blown away..sleek ui with effortless multitasking..sony has a winner on their hands..fantastic stuff.

Gamestop is currently showing Ridge Racer as having a March 13th release date here in the U.S.

I'm wondering how reliable this is? Just a few days ago they were showing March 20th, so it's now been moved up a week. Amazon is currently showing no date for the game.

I'm also hoping that we're going to get the entire game on the cartridge. I'm running with a 4 gig memory card right now, so I'd rather not have to download that extra content like the Euro folks.

gkryhewy

Gamestop is currently showing Ridge Racer as having a March 13th release date here in the U.S.

I'm wondering how reliable this is? Just a few days ago they were showing March 20th, so it's now been moved up a week. Amazon is currently showing no date for the game.

I'm also hoping that we're going to get the entire game on the cartridge. I'm running with a 4 gig memory card right now, so I'd rather not have to download that extra content like the Euro folks.

Amazon is currently showing "2-4 weeks", or at least that's what the page said earlier today.

geebee

Banned
About the Playstation Vita Store... Is there any way to tell which DLC you've purchased from a game other than the "Buy Now" button turning into "Download" button? I sort of wished a little icon would appear like on the PS3's store... but for Vita, the icon seems to be on every single item..

Sylver

Banned
About the Playstation Vita Store... Is there any way to tell which DLC you've purchased from a game other than the "Buy Now" button turning into "Download" button? I sort of wished a little icon would appear like on the PS3's store... but for Vita, the icon seems to be on every single item..

Appears one little red basket icon next to dowload or buy it now when you have already purchased some item, oh you can check it on your download list.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Hey this has probably been brought up already but anyone play
Parasite Eve 3 on the Vita?

I always wanted to get it on PSP but wasn't sure if it turned out to be a great game or mediocre one.
I know i'm late on this, but i bought third birthday and I'm really enjoying it. The controls feel great mapped to the Vita's right analog stick, and the visuals are surprisingly good and sharp. It looks like a high end PS2 game. I'm only at episode 3, though. The game can be really hardvthough, but I liked that there was a bit of strategy to boss battles and combat in general.

Amazon is currently showing "2-4 weeks", or at least that's what the page said earlier today.

Well, yeah, but on that same page they state "the release date has not been announced by the publisher". So, I figured that was rather meaningless.

Regardless, it sure would be nice if Namco just said something about this publicly. You'd think they'd want to let their fans know what to expect. Am I missing something, or do they have a blog or twitter account talking about this?

Berg

I was thinking about getting a Vita but immediately decided not to when i messed with a display.
I liked it, but when i went to play the wipeout demo, it literally took 3 minuets for it to load.
the game is fun, but whats up with that loading time?

patsu

No, it's not based on IP. The WiFi positioning is based on a statistical analysis of all the WiFi access point signal strength in your area.

Your boss probably brought his Virginia WiFi access point from US to Philippines. SkyHook send out cars to collect WiFi access point data every now and then. They may have the old US record of your boss's WiFi AP since he moved out to Philippines.

As for how it works:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35598407&postcount=14254

I took a quick look at some of SkyHooks' patents. Here's a quick summary:

The 3G Vita uses both GPS technology and SkyHook service to pinpoint your location. GPS works very well in open area, and is accurate to within 5-10 meters. It will work even if you don't subscribe to a 3G data plan.

However in a packed city or deep indoor (blocking GPS view), 3G Vita, or rather SkyHook, will switch to use its patented WiFi positioning technology to estimate your position. It does so by detecting the signal strength and number of WiFi access points in your area. You don't need to connect to these WiFi access points. Skyhook send sensor cars out in many countries to import these data points into its huge worldwide WiFi access point database. By using statistics on these collected data points, it can extrapolate/estimate your current position. In their marketing papers, Skyhook claimed that WiFi positioning can give them accuracy in the range of 10 to 20 meters.

When both GPS and WiFi positioning failed, SkyHook will switch to cell tower triangulation, but the accuracy is 200 - 1000 meters (Also 3G Vita only)

If everything failed, I suppose the app will use your last known position.

So WiFi Vita will work but with slightly less accuracy. Sometimes it may misbehave because a WiFi access point has moved. The good news is you can update Skyhook's WiFi access point database via the web: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/locat...y/coverage.php

From Gaffer's feedback, it takes up to 2 weeks for your submission to propagate to the production system.

gkryhewy

Well, yeah, but on that same page they state "the release date has not been announced by the publisher". So, I figured that was rather meaningless.

Regardless, it sure would be nice if Namco just said something about this publicly. You'd think they'd want to let their fans know what to expect. Am I missing something, or do they have a blog or twitter account talking about this?

Well, the 2-4 weeks is new. Until today, Amazon had a date of June 1. No idea what namco's doing though. Have they even said whether US copies include a gold pass like euro copies?

patsu

Sony should extend this app to the ps3. Let people see who has a psE and vita around then and start giving out console game gifts. Would probably get more people interested in the systems and the games.

I hope so !

In fact, giving a summary view in the Life of Playstation globe would be fun and complementary to Vita's Near app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom