• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

FinKL

Where I used to play basketball, I'm pretty sure someone would steal my Switch while I was playing.

Yep, ain't no body bringing out a fancy piece of electronic and leaving it out in the open at a street basketball court. That's just the way it is. Maybe a community court you'd be fine.

Xater

Man I really hope this turns out well. I would probably pick up the PS4 version. Switch version is't looking that hot. Would be good for local, but I will probably get more out of the online on PS4.

No I'm an Englishman if that helps :p just want to know in what way will this game feel more "meaty" than a single sport in the games I mentioned. Has it got different modes or courts etc.

No that doesn't help. I don't know anyone who didn't play NBA Jam in the 90s. Shit was on fire.

Oresama

Yeah, I'm much more concerned about the potential for steal spamming on all the versions, because currently there is no stamina penalty for it.

This.

I was all in for this game until I experienced the steal spam online.

Will not buy until they balance things out first.

That being said I still think the game has alot of potential once fixed...

fernoca

Shoot was hoping for a midnight release.
That's only for the Friday releases of first party games, at the moment.

Everything else releases at 9AMPST either Tuesdays (the usual releases) of Thursdays (eShop update).

At least is better than PlayStation's Grace Chen Time. So this game should be up on PS4...sometime during Tuesday. :p

spyder_ur

Favorite thing with these games: Who is the worst/least deserving player on that roster of players?

My pick:
Kris Humphries

Cornbread78

Everything else releases at 9AMPST either Tuesdays (the usual releases) of Thursdays (eShop update).

At least is better than PlayStation's Grace Chen Time. So this game should be up on PS4...sometime during Tuesday. :p

Hey, at least when it finally does get posted, it will have MP included 😎

Lol good point.

newsguy

I know one or two gaffers had the review copy of the Switch version. Can anyone chime in on undocked mode for this? I've read some impressions from other forums claiming this looks like 540p undocked and is a blurry mess ala Snake Pass. I truly hope this isn't the case, but I trust people here more than random poster on Reddit etc. so please chime in if you've tested it. Thanks.

1. Push
  2. Steal
  3. Did you steal yet?
  4. Steal
  5. Win

After playing the demo on PS4, I gotta wait and see if this has indeed been adjusted in the final release. Stealing is like.... 75% of the game it felt like. Had a game where all it was was 4 guys running towards a loose ball.

I know one or two gaffers had the review copy of the Switch version. Can anyone chime in on undocked mode for this? I've read some impressions from other forums claiming this looks like 540p undocked and is a blurry mess ala Snake Pass. I truly hope this isn't the case, but I trust people here more than random poster on Reddit etc. so please chime in if you've tested it. Thanks.

It wouldn't be surprising since it looks sub-1080p when docked.

jmizzal

Is this available at midnight? Seems strange that I haven't been able to find any official info on release time availability for download. There's not even a store page for it on xbox.

Review embargo is tomorrow at 9 a.m. EST.

Trying to find out the same, will it be up at midnight on Switch?

Strange Switch has a store page but Xbox one doesnt, I have both Switch and Xbox one but will be getting this on Switch

I didn't like what I played from the PS4 beta leak thing tbh. Hopefully the final version fixes some pretty major issues(steal is way OP)

There's a twitch stream of the switch version live now: www.twitch.tv/n_squared

Not hyped for it but I'm very curious.

The timing is interesting but weird. Not sure how some of those up close shots didn't even make it in, lol.

From looking at the stream, he shot a 3 with perfect timing and ended up getting 4 points.

Really not a fan of the whistle after each play. That needs to go.

Even with what I dislike, I may still give it a chance.

I will buy the shit out of this if it is good. I miss NBA Street (and Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey and NFL Blitz and MLB Slugfest) so bad. Speaking of which, how is the announcer?

I might buy this even if it's just decent playing but well presented.

Edit: watched the stream above, yuck. It's a kiddie version :( maybe next year will be the resurgence of arcade sports games

Jumpman23

I'm in!

Now if they provide me a Michael Jordan add-on DLC option, I'm going bonkers!

Will probably cost the same price as the game :(

v1lla21

Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. Hope they iron out the kinks real soon. Other than that the game looks fine for 20 bucks.

bonesquad

It's strangely missing a lot of key players. No Giannis or Middleton, the two best players for the Bucks, one of whom started the all-star game. Yet oddly they have Thon Maker.

What? First time in years the Bucks have worthwhile players, and they think I'd be "ok" with playing as Jabari Parker and Monroe. No thanks.

mjc

It's strangely missing a lot of key players. No Giannis or Middleton, the two best players for the Bucks, one of whom started the all-star game. Yet oddly they have Thon Maker.

Yeah, really odd choices right out of the gate.

qko

After playing the demo on PS4, I gotta wait and see if this has indeed been adjusted in the final release. Stealing is like.... 75% of the game it felt like. Had a game where all it was was 4 guys running towards a loose ball.

Ahhh NBA Jam is back!

MastAndo

Gold Member
Holy crap, I knew about not having online 2v2, but I didn't know that you can't even play vs. a friend online.
Crap, this might be a dealbreaker. Are there plans to add 2v2 and 1v1 with a friend soon?

Also, what time does this get released?

Nester

There's a twitch stream of the switch version live now: www.twitch.tv/n_squared

Oh hey, that was me! :D

Overall I enjoyed it. I'm not a huge basketball fan or anything, but I do enjoy Arch Rivals/NBA Jam styled gameplay, so I had a good time. I'm terrible with shot timing. I look forward to playing more of it when online releases for the Switch version, the planned updates seem really nice.

I'm grinding through the tournaments in portable mode right now while watching TV so if anyone has any other questions about the Switch version, I can try to answer them!

iso135

Crap, this might be a dealbreaker. Are there plans to add 2v2 and 1v1 with a friend soon?

Also, what time does this get released?

They are saying they will add 2v2 online (basically 4 player multi), but I am not sure if/when they will add the ability to play with/against a friend.

People are saying 9AM PST, 12PM EST for the Switch version, but I haven't found anything yet for the Xbox One version.

Top Bottom