• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

what's up NES club,
played some ninja gaiden II tonight and finally beat Act II boss. it took me about 5 continues bc the snow and wind blowing me everywhere.
when i think of ninjas and wind, i think of revenge of shinobi.
anyways, stage 3-2 has be dying so i took a break. i left my system on pause since it draws so little power and i can't use save states on original hardware.
hopefully i'll get back to it soon.

AmyS

3ZLe0EM.jpg

I totally forgot this particular modem was coming out for the NES.

I need more coffee before I do some research and find out it was canceled, like many others for the 8-bit and 16-bit systems.

-KRS-

I need more coffee before I do some research and find out it was canceled, like many others for the 8-bit and 16-bit systems.

Interesting, never seen this. The text makes it sound like there would be cross-platform compatibility in the games? We barely have that today lol.

Lothar

Banned
what's up NES club,
played some ninja gaiden II tonight and finally beat Act II boss. it took me about 5 continues bc the snow and wind blowing me everywhere.
when i think of ninjas and wind, i think of revenge of shinobi.
anyways, stage 3-2 has be dying so i took a break. i left my system on pause since it draws so little power and i can't use save states on original hardware.
hopefully i'll get back to it soon.

This post convinced me to play the game. i love challenging games. I guess I remembered it being easy because it's the easiest of the trilogy. I don't know why I remembered it that way. It's very hard. And great of course. Finished it. The last stage is a massive difficulty jump and it actually continued the BS where you die at the last boss and you go back to the beginning of the stage. I say BS in a good way. It didn't make me mad. It just made me smile and think "Oh, you guys."

It might be beneficial and more fun if you start the game over the beginning when you're first playing it for the day. I made it to Act 4 yesterday and had to use a few continues for Acts 2 and 3. Today they were a breeze. Not because I remembered it because I didn't, it was just because I got better at it and probably because I played less cautious having just done it already. Playing the easy stages first puts you in a groove. So it doesn't just feel like you're running into a brick wall over and over.

It's like how if you start Tetris and put it on the highest speed, you probably won't last long, but you if you start slow and build up, you'll probably do way better at that speed.

GSHup5c.png

70gUseo.png

Wow, look at that NES art.

^ oh man congrats on beating it Lothar, haha i still have my toploader system on pause and never turned it off from the last time i played. =)
reading this post reminds me to get back on it. i do remember the days of playing long games on one sitting and starting all over bc no passwords.
mega man 1, rygar, golgo 13 (that game was so hard and no passwords) ninja gaiden I (which i have to go back and eventually beat), deadly towers (F that game) i think there was a password but screw that game... and super pitfall.

i'm going to see if i can beat it tonight.

jb1234

Made it to 4-2. It's not obscenely difficult so far, just frustrating when enemies constantly respawn. And fuck the eagles.

Lothar

Banned
Make use of your weapons a lot. Don't save them. When you see a eagle coming towards you, if there's a gap around you shoot them with something if you can. Don't chance it.

Olly88

I palyed NG2 for the first time (properly) last night and got to 7-2. Really enjoyed it, but bummed I have to go through it again as it seems I was close to the end.

It seems as if the nes classic came and brought the accessibility of the system to the masses that the interest in owning individual titled has waned a bit haha(at least if we go by this thread).

Slowing it down sounds fine. There afterall only so many titles in the catalogue of the NES that are worth playing at the entry price point. It's a shame so many great games cost so much.

I second the NG3 idea but I'm fairly certain that games costs an arm and a leg the last I checked.

jb1234

Make use of your weapons a lot. Don't save them. When you see a eagle coming towards you, if there's a gap around you shoot them with something if you can. Don't chance it.

Yeah, I've gotten fairly good with the throwing star, haha. 4-2 has given me by far the most trouble with the game so far. I breezed through 5-1 and 5-2 in comparison. Made it to 6-1.

OnPoint

I'm noticing a lot of talk in here about games that are slightly pricey, which honestly is fine since I own most of them haha. Maybe the club needs a slight restructuring or shakeup, and maybe someone here would be into doing that. To be honest I haven't had the time like I used to for running it, so I'd be willing to pass it along to someone if they're interested in carrying it on and making their mark on it.

Mull it over. If anyone is into it, hit me up here or via PM. If not we can talk about changing the game every 3 months or raising the maximum value of a game or something. But we clearly need to change things in some regard haha

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
3ZLe0EM.jpg

I think this ad might have been the first time I learned online gaming was possible lol.

"You can play games with other people... over the telephone line?? No way..."

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome pickup there!

Lets just do NG3 for june, i own the game as well, and will be able to participate for it.

-KRS-

Hey NES club,
hope this keeps going and doesn't stop.

just picked up ninja gaiden I today, not as nice as the copy of II i go but it was for 39 bucks so not too bad...

Congrats, $39 for that is pretty good. I paid about the same years ago for my PAL copy in much worse condition lol.

Finished NG2 tonight, I really think this is the best of the trilogy as it's less cheap with enemy placement & spam - especially on the last level. In NG1 the road back to the final boss room after every death was agonizing, in NG2 it's totally manageable and there is a 1UP halfway as well as a potion before the final boss room.

Great game.

I also completed NG2 today. I feel like half my play time was on the last level. Mercifully you don't have to defeat the final bosses in a row.

Awesome pickup there!

Lets just do NG3 for june, i own the game as well, and will be able to participate for it.
thanks Morfeo!

Congrats, $39 for that is pretty good. I paid about the same years ago for my PAL copy in much worse condition lol.
thanks =)
Finished NG2 tonight, I really think this is the best of the trilogy as it's less cheap with enemy placement & spam - especially on the last level. In NG1 the road back to the final boss room after every death was agonizing, in NG2 it's totally manageable and there is a 1UP halfway as well as a potion before the final boss room.

Great game.

I also completed NG2 today. I feel like half my play time was on the last level. Mercifully you don't have to defeat the final bosses in a row.
congrats guys! i'm working my way through it starting all over. hope to beat it tonight =)

update: got up to 7-2 last night, pretty fun to run through.

^ Ooo nice Amy S =)

ok, been trying the last two nights to beat the final stages in ninja gaiden II but failing miserably. any tips to save energy before reaching the last boss?

going to try again, be back in a bit.

Lothar

Banned
^ Ooo nice Amy S =)

ok, been trying the last two nights to beat the final stages in ninja gaiden II but failing miserably. any tips to save energy before reaching the last boss?

going to try again, be back in a bit.

Don't worry about saving energy. Worry about getting there with two Ninja clones and full health. It's really hard to save energy because you need the fire wheel and other weapons to get through the stage. At least I did. I never had more than 20 left by the time I got to the last boss.

The Ninja clones are devastating to all the boss battles of the game.

You can max out energy in the beginning of the stage but that's just enough to get you through it.

Don't worry about saving energy. Worry about getting there with two Ninja clones and full health. It's really hard to save energy because you need the fire wheel and other weapons to get through the stage. At least I did. I never had more than 20 left by the time I got to the last boss.

The Ninja clones are devastating to all the boss battles of the game.

You can max out energy in the beginning of the stage but that's just enough to get you through it.

thanks Lothar,
i just made it to the second part of the final boss and died. oh no i have to start again from the beginning of the stage!!!!
i'm taking a break so i don't scream, but i'll get back there easy.

Lothar

Banned
Relax, thats normal, expected, and definitely what was going to happen. They don't even put you back at full health. But you don't have to fight the 1st part again. And that was the hardest part! It's only a matter of time now.

Timu

Relax, thats normal, expected, and definitely what was going to happen. They don't even put you back at full health. But you don't have to fight the 1st part again. And that was the hardest part! It's only a matter of time now.
Ha, ha, no, the 1st boss is easy with the wall jump tactic. The 2nd boss requires some skill to attack and dodge what comes from the ceiling, and the 3rd one is all about patience but not that hard.

Lothar

Banned
Congrats, now on to the harder Ninja Gaiden games.

They made a big mistake there by bringing Irene back fully recovered. I remember it blowing my mind as a kid that Irene got stabbed and you fight the boss of the prologue half way through the game. (I must have known it had 7 stages from Nintendo Power)

Hey guys, might've seen me bug on the other retro threads as of late but (in prep for a Tokyo trip this coming monday) I plan on buying some games ofc, in particular Fami and maybe FDS. As i'm relatively new to FDS info, can someone walk me through the potential pitfalls, I'm aware the belts fail internally frequently but (given that I trust the shops there) would you guys recommend buying a FDS? Maybe a Sharp Twin if possible? Are the games hyper-expensive/corrupting rapidly? If so might just go the everdrive/emu route ;/

OnPoint

Congrats, now on to the harder Ninja Gaiden games.

They made a big mistake there by bringing Irene back fully recovered. I remember it blowing my mind as a kid that Irene got stabbed and you fight the boss of the prologue half way through the game. (I must have known it had 7 stages from Nintendo Power)
I feel like there could be unspoken time passing between levels from a story perspective, especially since the locations seem to globe hop a bit. Maybe she had time to heal?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nice pick up! Donald Land is a pretty terrible, but funny game. Really hard for a so called 'kids' game with bad checkpointing.

Was Power Blade ever a game of the month club pick? That seems like it'd be a perfect one. It's a fantastic, very underrated game too with nice music.

Top Bottom