• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Nintendo 2DS

Mlatador

Banned
Nintendo is amazingly smart. Instead of just redesigning the OG 3DS in the old fashioned way and keep the price, they change it radically, sir up an incredible amount of publicity (such good free advertisment to get the name of the thing out into peoples heads and make them aware of it), lower the price, get rid of the "3D might be bad for my child" concern of parents, improve the ergonomics and release it at the same day Pokemon XY comes out.

FUCKING genius! :D

Soon we'll also see the usual "ohhh, it's actually pretty nice to hold" reviews, and people will turn "whaat, so the 2DS is actually not that bad??"

This thing is gonna be the #1 present this holiday season.

I...actually kinda dig this one... really

nintendo_2ds-2344830.jpg

Weird as hell but this color scheme is pretty good

Same. The design looks much better in white.

joesiv

Nintendo could have been onto an extra money maker with the coloured borders, all they needed to do was make them detachable and release a bunch of colours (of course that reasonably secure to the case) - sort of like they did with the micro and its detachable front covers.
Why sell borders when you can just sell more 2DS's? The old 2DS color gets handed down to someone, you get a bigger install base, and hopefully more sales.

I want to see what the "decals" people make for this will look like. I want to see people's Pokedex designs for this thing.

Also, that tablet thing the Mii Plaza Rabbit was holding makes some sort of sense now.

Wow. Changing the color really DOES change my opinion of it.

I still hate the placement of the streetpass LED and other things. But that white one with colored trim is DRASTICALLY better.

Edit: I think I know why.

It's not the color specifically. It's because the face color matches the SCREEN color on these mockups.

When it contrasts (Like the white screens on the original black face), the ugly mismatched screens standout.

I hope they come out with a rerelease of the OG model with the matte finish of this and the XL, because I really don't want to shell out the extra $100 for an XL, and I wouldn't really want to play one of those in public.

Rich!

I hope they come out with a rerelease of the OG model with the matte finish of this and the XL, because I really don't want to shell out the extra $100 for an XL, and I wouldn't really want to play one of those in public.

...but an XL isn't that much extra.

When I bought my White XL, it was a choice between a 3DS original preowned for £100 or the White XL I got preowned for £120. That's a £20 difference.

And it looks amazing. Oh, and by pure luck it already had Mario Kart, Ocarina of Time and Mario 3D Land already installed on it.

Is this a sign Nintendo might start releasing a new handheld model every year.

2011-3DS
2012-3DS XL
2013- 2DS (man this name is awful, but honestly i dont know what they could call it that wouldn't be awful
2014- OG 3DS revision?

I didn't notice how close the screens were together. I mean I guess it makes sense since it's just one single screen, but I figured they would keep somewhat of the same distance apart.

Captain N

Is this a sign Nintendo might start releasing a new handheld model every year.

2011-3DS
2012-3DS XL
2013- 2DS (man this name is awful, but honestly i dont know what they could call it that wouldn't be awful
2014- OG 3DS revision?

I think from now on we'll get the same revisions for 2DS and 3DS. So 2DSe & 3DSe. No cart slot. All digital....or 2DS XL

linkboy

Nintendo.

Please.

Cancel this now.

Why, this thing is going to make a killing at a $129 price point, which is the same price point that the DS Lite and the GBA took off at.

That's a market that Nintendo priced themselves out of with the OG 3DS and the XL.

Seeing that demonstration video makes me more interested in getting one for the bus rides and traveling, lot smaller than I thought it'd be.

Hopefully Nintendo gets an actual account system setup soon, it'd be nice to move over certain games to the 2DS from my XL.

EDIT: Guessing Gamestop isn't stocking that case Nintendo showed off yet? Only seeing the system on their site.

Call me kooky but I'm seriously considering picking my kids one of these and Pokemon up for Christmas! They love my XL.
Get each of them a Pokemon game unless you want to take the very high risk of one kid "taking over" the cartridge. >.> EDIT: No really, that's what happened when our relatives got us Pokemon Yellow + a GBC for Christmas. ;_;

I'm honestly not worried about buying one because it's a bit lighter. I like handhelds to have a bit of weight (hence why I have a 3DS XL)

How are kids supposed to use the dpad and press the L button? Looks like a stretch even for adult hands.
about five seconds of googling shows me that where these shoulder buttons 'begin' up the sides of these devices is about equal to where they start on the other variants of the system. They're much larger though but that won't be a problem so long as they press 'inward' and not 'downward'

gogogow

How are kids supposed to use the dpad and press the L button? Looks like a stretch even for adult hands.

Nah, just tried with my OG 3DS, no problems at all. It should be even easier to do so on the 2DS since Nintendo gave it rounded corners. And it's also very similar to the Wii U shoulder buttons, meaning tapping on the side is enough to trigger a input.

2ds_holding62b8y.jpg

spliced

Of all the remarks about this system I find people complaining that it doesn't have hinges the strangest. Nintendo already has 2 3DS systems on the market with hinges. If you need hinges Nintendo has you covered.

Top Bottom