• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

WillyFive

Been away from toku for a bit since Christmas. What's the status on stuff. Did cube animals end well? I see it in the op so I assume it's worth a marathon?

How is ninja steel?

Zyohger is a good season compared to the past two shows, but it's not among the greats.

Ninja Steel is trash fire, it's like being back in the Operation Overdrive/Jungle Fury days. I don't recommend it for anyone over six.

Nudull

Banned
Did people really not like Jungle Fury? From the impression I got from some folks and watching HOPR, it seemed to be one of the more underrated seasons. I do admit, the marital arts aspect of the season/Sentai did seem neat.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Also hope y'all realize the kyutama kintama connection. The ending theme is not subtle lol.

WillyFive

Red Ranger ruined it.

Daigo was a great leader, irregardless of how he ended up getting most of the toys for no reason.

Did people really not like Jungle Fury? From the impression I got from some folks and watching HOPR, it seemed to be one of the more underrated seasons. I do admit, the marital arts aspect of the season/Sentai did seem neat.

Everyone in that show yelled all the time, the editing for the fight scenes, sound effects, and music was infernal, and it botched up the story to one of the best Sentai seasons.

NeonZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RSaH0TrJ4

First real trailer for Chou Super Hero Taisen. Plot seems to be about Game world vs Real world in addition to the death game revealed before. There's a new character, "Shocker Leader the 3rd".

Ex-Aid's team mates in the movie, Aoninger and Zolda, have their actors back, so BeetBuster is likely back too. Surprisingly, both Pallad and Genm seem to be in the movie too, with Pallad fighting alongside the Ex-Aid Riders, while Genm somehow seems to have made Ryugen and Specter turn heel again, although they seem to be suit-only.

SuperHeroWars_Chou_06_zpsvv8lmxr3.jpg

Shocker Leader III's human and "Great Spider Great Leader" forms. The Great Leader previously took a spider-like form in Stronger, which likely explains why a suit-only Stronger seems to have some kind of role in the movie. It's also probably a reference to a spider being the first monster of the original series.

Watched Kyuranger 1. Red has a very punchable face. At least people like Daigo weren't 200% in your face. Not really feeling it at all so far, but its only episode 1.

9 1

I'm going to hate this Red, just like Daigo. I already miss Yamato.

Other than that, I like the set up for the universe, but the story for this episode went too fast. Didn't like how we just flew past Garu's backstory.

The Megazord fight was cool, but that might be because it wasn't in a city.

The ending dance was fucking strange. I felt like I needed an adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RSaH0TrJ4

First real trailer for Chou Super Hero Taisen. Plot seems to be about Game world vs Real world in addition to the death game revealed before. There's a new character, "Shocker Leader the 3rd".

Ex-Aid's team mates in the movie, Aoninger and Zolda, have their actors back, so BeetBuster is likely back too. Surprisingly, both Pallad and Genm seem to be in the movie too, with Pallad fighting alongside the Ex-Aid Riders, while Genm somehow seems to have made Ryugen and Specter turn heel again, although they seem to be suit-only.

SuperHeroWars_Chou_06_zpsvv8lmxr3.jpg

Shocker Leader III's human and "Great Spider Great Leader" forms. The Great Leader previously took a spider-like form in Stronger, which likely explains why a suit-only Stronger seems to have some kind of role in the movie. It's also probably a reference to a spider being the first monster of the original series.
I had a feeling that Shocker will show up again.

NeonZ

I had a feeling that Shocker will show up again.

In spite of that character, nothing plot-wise seems to be mentioning Shocker so far though.

Apparently this is the newest plot summary for the movie...

A huge army and flying fortresses appear all around the world, easily taking down entire cities. Ex-Aid and the Kyuranger struggle but are defeated (It's not clear if they're together or these are separate scenes). However, then Lazer appears alongside past heroes and turn around the battle. Why are the dead back? Who are the enemies? (Trailer and past summary say they come from the Game World)

In order to overcome the enemy, the heroes need to gain a new power. They go to another dimension where they need to level up repeatedly and surpass the "strongest" to bring about the miraculous birth of the "strongest hero(es)"!

Also, True Brave is Hiiro from the Game World according to the trailer.

Now that I've seen all of it:

• I liked how jam packed the premiere was in terms of action
  • But I wish Garu's backstory got more of a stronger focus
  • Garu is probably my fave atm, though I like Champ, too
  • Lucky's okay; here's hoping he gets some good development as we go on, though
  • The show's definitely a step up from Zyuogher in terms of design for the robots, weapons, suits, and morphers

tumblr_o9iasb9VMV1rzfq4ao1_500.gif

been watching zero: dragon blood. nice seeing rei doing rei things and smashing up horrors. the dragon knight is a super douche, and rekka's legs are still nice. camera girl who's basically the so totally not kaoru like character, is surprisingly only 50% as annoying as kaoru was during the beginning of garo season 1. interested to see where the plot goes from here and also happy to see the timer return on fights, it really does heighten up the tension. something that was missing from the past two seasons.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Dan gone cray cray...

Wonder if the new head of Genm is gonna be someone important (the new Shocker dude as a movie tie-in?). Speaking of which, whatever happened with Dan's father that Kiriya met in prison? Was that a tie-in to Pacman?

Hard for me to get back into Kamen Rider after Gaim and Drive(which I felt was questionable in quality). I feel the themes are not that great.

vareon

Ex-aid's current plot relied a bit too much on "If we tell Emu he has a game disease, he'll break down" bit. I'm not convinced Emu will break down too much even after he knew. But being told he was the first patient to ever have the disease was neat.

Watch Da Birdie

I'd hate to be an extra around Yellow's helmet---someone's gonna lose an eye.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
kyu 1 was pretty good. lucky is daigo two. which will upset some, but im glad to have again. also, hes in the running for the dopest initial power up

Zyohger is a good season compared to the past two shows, but it's not among the greats.

Ninja Steel is trash fire, it's like being back in the Operation Overdrive/Jungle Fury days. I don't recommend it for anyone over six.

jungle fury at least had rj. is there a counterpart in ninja steel?

Slayven

Damn Dan is turning into a great villain.

They dial back the "Lucky" stuff Red will be fine. Shame Green seems like the field leader and got demoted.

Can not not hear Zoro

Damn Dan is turning into a great villain.

They dial back the "Lucky" stuff Red will be fine. Shame Green seems like the field leader and got demoted.

Can not not hear Zoro

Masamune Date for me, waiting to see if they gave him some Engrish lines. "Are you ready Grr?!" "Put ya Globes on!"

Nudull

Banned
Kyuranger 1

A damn solid start, and pretty jam-packed too (to the point that there isn't too much time to really let things sink in). I dig the design differences on each of the ranger outfits, and I'm especially digging the mech design. Lucky's a pretty alright protagonist, though nothing really special in terms of personality.

Is it worth continuing Zyuohger? I meant for it to be my first real effort to watch a Super Sentai season, but I kinda lost interest early on.

Slayven

Kyuranger 1

A damn solid start, and pretty jam-packed too (to the point that there isn't too much time to really let things sink in). I dig the design differences on each of the ranger outfits, and I'm especially digging the mech design. Lucky's a pretty alright protagonist, though nothing really special in terms of personality.

Is it worth continuing Zyuohger? I meant for it to be my first real effort to watch a Super Sentai season, but I kinda lost interest early on.

Zyuohger isn't bad but it doesn't really do anythign earth shaking. If it isn't holding your interest early on, i doubt it will change.

Watch Da Birdie

Masamune Date for me, waiting to see if they gave him some Engrish lines. "Are you ready Grr?!" "Put ya Globes on!"

Hijikata for me.

Which is weird because that fursuit is so ridiculous with the white around the face and the multi-colored eyes. I wanna hate the character but the voice is sooo good.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kyuranger 1

Finally got around to watching.
I'm on board!

I really hope Lucky isn't a boring invincible hero combined with his over-the-top hot-blooded attitude. Hopefully he grows on me.

Garu is Zoro and it's a bit distracting. I'll get used to it.

The action in this episode was nuts. I can't wait for more. You can tell Bandai America helped on this with all the space stuff. I hope there's plenty of it.

Kyuranger 1

I think you should try a couple more eps to see if you want to finish it.

WillyFive

Kyuranger 1

There are so many great Super Sentai shows that there is no reason to continue one if you lose interest; if you want to try a new show, but with also an animal theme, try Gekiranger.

Watch Da Birdie

Personally I find it difficult to finish watching any Super Sentai series whereas I managed to get through most Kamen Rider series.

This is me.

I watched the entire Heisei catalog (Kuuga -> Wizard) in like four months, yet I could only finish Dairanger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Go-Busters, and Gaoranger in my entire Toku career. I tried to watch live through ToQ, Ninninger, and Zyuohger but gave up pretty quick on each of them.

Hoping Kyuranger finally breaks that trend.

Apharmd

This is me.

I watched the entire Heisei catalog (Kuuga -> Wizard) in like four months, yet I could only finish Dairanger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Go-Busters, and Gaoranger in my entire Toku career. I tried to watch live through ToQ, Ninninger, and Zyuohger but gave up pretty quick on each of them.

Hoping Kyuranger finally breaks that trend.

Coming from another Kamen Rider fan, Shinkenger is really good. Only Sentai I finished and consistently loved.

WarRock

So, looks like the owners of the distributing rights of a lot of older tokusatsu shows in my country gave up on Netflix. They're straight up streaming marathons each Friday for free on Youtube. Also individual episodes (in 4 parts for some goddamned reason).

Everything is dubbed without subs (and probably geolocking), so, dunno if many will find any use for this, but here it is.

At the moment we have Jiraiya, Juspion (yeah, it's called Jaspion here), Changeman, Flashman, Jiban and National Kid.

Tiu Neo

And finally...

Kyuranger 01

Again, cool effects, a few nice action scenes, and again, some different camera angles, just like Zyuohger did a few times. Wish this becomes more and more common!

I wonder if Earth will be the endgame for this, or just, like, where they'll go when the budget runs low.

I like how the villains look, too, even if we don't see much of them in this episode. This has potential, at least.

I kinda like the cast, even if they are a bit one-dimensional right now. Well, it was a rushed episode, there's still a lot of episodes to evolve them.

Hammy's actress is really stiff and forced, at some points - fine at others. I like the idea of the character, and there is potential. Maybe she's just nervous, I want to like her, and wish she gets better.

And they need to tone down Lucky a bit. And make him not be the center of the series, please. Lucky's actor isn't bad as Takaharu, I think he can become a tolerable character, and he even had some cool moments this episode. Still, I already miss Yamato.

And... that final song will be stuck on my head for a loooong time.

Link1110

If kyuranger is really that Jam packed with plot and 9 heroes then maybe I'll wait and marathon the first 5 or so episodes. I'm finally catching up on exaid and it took until episode 5 until I stopped being confused at the sheer amount of characters they kept throwing at me. On episode 8 now and it's really fun.

I'm guessing that green guy is there villain for the first arc and is gonna be dispatched early like Phoenix, which is fine cause unlike in wizard, he's not the most interesting villain Lol

javadoze

Ex-Aid 18

-Dan went ham this episode. Though the majority of it was the leadup to the reveal, it was all still entertaining.

-I do like what I hear of the new insert Wish in the Dark.

-Even though the opening hasn't been shown in the past few episodes, I do like how it was used for the revelation scene at the end. There's something pleasantly ironic about the music in the background going "I GOTTA BELIEEEEEEVE" while Emu is essentially stressing out to death.

Kyuranger 1

YOSHA LUCKY!

-Joking aside, compared to Takaharu, Lucky's actor seems far more into it. Also, I can't hate a guy who outright looks at some rangers and thinks "I want to be one of them".

-I always dig the prospect of a quest to find other rangers similar to Kyoryuger. The fact that certain parts of the OP only feature Green, Yellow, and Black also help sell this.

-Though I'm not holding my breath for the Kyurangers exploring multiple planets before the budget runs out and they stick to Earth, it'd be nice if they kept things this way for awhile.

Otherwise, a solid first episode and all of the characters came off as likable.

YOSHA LUCKY COUNT: 8 (8.5 if you count an interrupted one)

Jeffrey

Kyuranger 1

so... Red is basically the opposite of Ryotaro. At least now we have a 'lore' reason why red gets all the toys lol.

hope he grows into something more than... this weirdly naive man child.

Everything else seems fine but hard to tell from an intro eps.

the fights were pretty mediocre in direction.

the mecha seems really small if you compare the scale of the team in the balls lol.

Top Bottom