• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBO Releases AHCA Score: Details Coming In

Ottaro

DAnqZkDXsAEWRX6.jpg
DAMN.

That is almost comically high. Wow.
So about $1,100 a month for insurance?

Arguably the most concerning part of all of this is a disclaimer:

DAnqDDzXsAEoYEt.jpg:large

Upton amendment backfires and creates an incentive for states to actually get the waiver to drop coverage for pre-existing conditions.

I knew that they would backhandedly try to weasel out of the preexisting condition coverage. Those fucking cowardly weasels.

RDreamer

I mean have we also talked about the fact that they absolutely still must do something? Many people will be forced off the ACA soon because many people's rates jumped 30% last year and again this year. The number to become uninsured by leaving the ACA as it is will still be significant as far as I understand

This plan is likely much worse, but the ACA trajectory is also in trouble.

When your house has some leaky pipes you don't burn it down and for good measure take the neighbors houses down, too. They shouldn't get props for doing "something."

Gallbaro

Banned
This is the most egregious example of "fuck the poor" I've ever seen.

Over 60% of a 64+ year-old's income solely for insurance premiums? That is absolutely unacceptable.

Now consider the average SS check. I think my moms is around $1400 a month. That leaves about $600 to pay bills, food, utilities, rent and oh yea, medicine and copays.

This does not affect Medicare or IIRC Medicare Part D.

No one over the age of 64 in the USA buys private insurance.

royalan

This is the most egregious example of "fuck the poor" I've ever seen.

Over 60% of a 64+ year-old's income solely for insurance premiums? That is absolutely unacceptable.

And the thing to keep in mind is that this isn't for comparable insurance​ to what they'd get under the ACA.

They would be paying all that money for shittier insurance.

I mean have we also talked about the fact that they absolutely still must do something? Many people will be forced off the ACA soon because many people's rates jumped 30% last year and again this year. The number to become uninsured by leaving the ACA as it is will still be significant as far as I understand

The trajectory was going to occur with or without ACA. You don't just get rid of the thing that's keeping millions of Americans insured. It needs improved, not repealed.

When the question is about just how evil Republicans under Mitch McConnell can be, never underestimate them. There's probably almost no chance, but it ain't zero.

Doesn't matter.

Even with 100% Republican vote, they still need 8 more Democrats to vote Yes to pass it in the Senate, because of the Byrd rule.

There ain't 1 Democrat who'd vote Yes in the Senate on this shit, let alone 8.

Nafai1123

Banned

Its my understanding the the ACA collapsing hyperbole is mostly BS and is expected to stabilize in the next couple year. Yeah it needs to be better, but doing nothing is far superior to whatever the GOP come up with.

shiba5

Just post that photo of the GOP and Trump yucking it up after kicking 23 million people off insurance in every attack ad.

Foffy

Banned
Yo, they doubled the amount of uninsured under this version of their bill? Holy fucking shit.

Hell, wouldn't there be more uninsured under their system than what we had prior to the ACA?!

QqYF2v.gif

Gallbaro

Banned
Doesn't Trump want to make cuts to Medicare, too? Or was it just Medicaid?

Just Blackaid.

It might be a little too difficult to explain to a large portion of his base that they are covered under the same insurance program as those people.

Let them get rid of the filibuster. Fuck it.

Let them get fucked when the Dems pass single payer in 2020.

lol, the Dems have historically held back some good reform for special interests in their party as well.

royalan

Its my understanding the the ACA collapsing hyperbole is mostly BS and is expected to stabilize in the next couple year. Yeah it needs to be better, but doing nothing is far superior to whatever the GOP come up with.

This was true, but not anymore. Trump and Republicans have made the future of the ACA so uncertain that insurance companies are pulling out and citing that uncertainty as the reason why. See: Aetna.

Steel

Banned
Yo, they doubled the amount of uninsured under this version of their bill? Holy fucking shit.

Hell, wouldn't there be more uninsured under their system than what we had prior to the ACA?!

QqYF2v.gif

CBO scored a clean repeal a long while ago, and less people were left uninsured if obamacare was replaced with nothing, iirc.

iammeiam

The Republican majorities in the house and senate would not discuss fixing the ACA. Everyone involved acknowledges it has flaws, and that generally what you do with a massive and complicated policy that develops flaws is find a way to fix them.

The GOP spent forever campaigning on repeal and replace. They passed repeals without replacements when Obama was in office, because they knew he'd veto it. They still have a majority. They still get to pass whatever they want, and any healthcare proposal they put forth is going to be garbage because it has to win over the Tea Party who only want crazy bullshit.

Trump's brilliant idea to force Dems to compromise and vote for this has been threatening to pull federal payments and tank the US healthcare market.

You can't fix a thing that exists when everyone with all the power won't be satisfied by less than blowing it up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
McConnell said they dont have 50 votes

They don't have 50 votes and by the time they got to 50 votes, the entire idea will be untenable as a result of yet another Trump scandal.

I want to see the faces of those dumb fucks with their "my dad" and the "the mother of four who pulled me aside" being the reasons why they pushed for this bill to come back out in the front lawn and explain this one.

So since it saves money over a 10 year period, they can pass this through reconciliation correct? Would they still need a rules change for the modification of the EHB requirements? Is this enough savings for them to pass their awful tax plan?

Top Bottom