• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple designer invents $12,000 hour glass, which contains non-nano sized "nanoballs"

dejay

Banned
So the main advantage is less wear? But I could buy 500 cheap 10-minute sand timers for that price. Is the market for this people that expect to live forever and also really need an accurate 10-minute timer?

Rich people have lots of disposable income to spend on things to show to other rich people. This kind of thing is how designers get that money from rich people.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Christ, give it to apple, let them slap the letter i in front of it and they would have idiots lining up around the block to buy one at 30 grand a pop in a week.

You know there are luxury brands that command more of an audience than just apple right?

Apple is more consumer and less luxury.

Hodinkee itself deal with brands making watches that costs over 100k.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So the main advantage is less wear? But I could buy 500 cheap 10-minute sand timers for that price. Is the market for this people that expect to live forever and also really need an accurate 10-minute timer?

(this isn't something you buy when you need a timer, it's something you buy when you want a sculpture / piece of art.)

Pepboy

The main advantage is for someone with a desk that costs $100,000 to have a nice discussion piece that they think might help them keep track of time but probably goes unused.

Dryk

Rich people have lots of disposable income to spend on things to show to other rich people. This kind of thing is how designers get that money from rich people.
I know that this is a thing that happens, but I don't think I'll ever understand it. Not for lack of money, I just don't really get the point of spending so much of it on trinkets.

The main advantage is for someone with a desk that costs $100,000 to have a nice discussion piece that they think might help them keep track of time but probably goes unused.
Let's be real though. A pile of 500 cheap timers would be a way better point of discussion.

Irminsul

So I just had a look at what the usual size of grains of sand is. There's a fucking ISO norm on this.

"ISO 14688 grades sands as fine, medium and coarse with ranges 0.063 mm to 0.2 mm to 0.63 mm to 2.0 mm."

So inside this $12k hour glass is the equivalent of medium grade sand. Lol. At least it's not coarse
and rough and it also probably doesn't get everywhere.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Christ, give it to apple, let them slap the letter i in front of it and they would have idiots lining up around the block to buy one at 30 grand a pop in a week.

but this is not made or sold by apple o.o or did I understand something wrong? the designer just works for apple.

why is "everyone" jumping on the apple in the thread title . did you only read the title >->?

digdug2k

So.. is sand not cool anymore or something? This sorta looks like something you'd buy at Sharper Image. Like, I'd I was in the market for a really nice hourglass, I'd be looking for something handblown, with some really beautiful sand in it from some exotic location, and probably some hand carved wood. This is... not that.

UrbanRats

So.. is sand not cool anymore or something? This sorta looks like something you'd buy at Sharper Image. Like, I'd I was in the market for a really nice hourglass, I'd be looking for something handblown, with some really beautiful sand in it from some exotic location, and probably some hand carved wood. This is... not that.

Sand isn't 12k, for one.

Guess Who

Banned
https://twitter.com/Hoffm/status/867349306608582656

MUnGbsa.png

This feels like a parody.
Like the designer is laughing his ass off, because he knows rich people are going to buy this 10 minute glass.

peakish

I don't get it.

Why would anyone pay $12k for a 10 minute timer.
Why would anyone pay loads of money for a painting, an antique vase or a statue? It's bought for its aesthetic appeal. I wouldn't buy it (not that I could) but I certainly think it looks nice, if nothing else.

Why would anyone pay loads of money for a painting, an antique vase or a statue? It's bought for its aesthetic appeal. I wouldn't buy it (not that I could) but I certainly think it looks nice, if nothing else.

I feel you could get a nicer looking or cooler or multi functional hourglass at this level of pricing.

peakish

I feel you could get a nicer looking or cooler or multi functional hourglass at this level of pricing.
Maybe? You can probably get an incredible looking, hand blown glass for a few hundred dollars or less. But it won't be this glass and some people are fine with spending money to get exactly what they want. Probably to their own detriment at times (you know how you sometime get fixated on something which really isn't that important), but eh. Their money, their problems.

This can be said for almost every piece of art or luxury product.

jts

...hate me...
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMgAAAAJDhhZjU4M2I0LWJmZDgtNDc5ZC1hZWZjLTU4NTUwMTVjOGExNw.jpg

Also, it's expensive because it's a luxury design item from a renown designer? Welcome to rich people's lives I guess.

KDR_11k

To be fair, the iPod nano wasn't nano sized either

But there's no reasonable expectation that an MP3 player would be nanometer-scale (and you could argue that it contains nanometer-scale tech in its chips). However nanotech balls do exist in real life (e.g. Buckminster-Fullerene or "Buckyballs") and you could reasonably expect something advertising "nanoballs" to actually include fullerenes.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Glass microspheres are a thing. People use them as aggregate for resin casting, for example.
You can get ones that are one micrometer in diameter.

lol @ apple designer. And at some of the reactions. I personally would never get this. Not my thing at all. But it's an art/luxury piece made by one of the most famous designers in the world.

It looks pretty nice too.

Timbuktu

err... this has nothing to do with Apple? So it's just someone made a luxury item for rich people, what is the big deal?

Top Bottom